378 replies to this topic

#81 thesportsbuff

thesportsbuff

Officially a Bust

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,345 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:02 PM

I assume that when the QMJHL playoffs end for him (and I have no idea how deep the Remparts are supposed to go), they'll just send him to the AHL to actually get some playing time rather than go back to being Buffalo's 4th line center or whatever the hell they were doing.

Could be Rochester. Darcy did say, though, he was going to Quebec for the plays and "then he'll be back" which kind of implied to me he meant Buffalo, but Rochester is certainly an option (perhaps a better one).

#82 spndnchz

spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,435 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:03 PM

I assume that when the QMJHL playoffs end for him (and I have no idea how deep the Remparts are supposed to go), they'll just send him to the AHL to actually get some playing time rather than go back to being Buffalo's 4th line center or whatever the hell they were doing.

Grigs goes back to the Q STILL leading his team in goals.

#83 Who Else?

Who Else?

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:05 PM

I firmly believe there was no right play here. It could have been handled better, but this kid does not belong in other league right now. Be thankful Armia isn't in this position.

Edited by Who Else?, 15 March 2013 - 04:05 PM.

#84 Robviously

Robviously

What You Don't See

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,547 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:05 PM

Grigs goes back to the Q STILL leading his team in goals.

All the more impressive since Adam Erne is supposed to be a first round draft pick this year (somewhere between 11 and 20).

#85 thesportsbuff

thesportsbuff

Officially a Bust

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,345 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:08 PM

The game time isn't an issue either. He was supposed to be learning the whole time and not just during games.

Why that was abandoned, I don't know. It's not like the team needs to be in "win now" mode.

I don't think it was abandoned. Honestly after listening to Darcy's comments, I think this was his plan all along. Keep him with the big team to learn, get some NHL experience, pick up some intricacies and hopefully some good habits from other NHLers, then return to juniors and apply what he's learned in a live, real-stakes situation. He'll get REAL ice time with skilled players, take on a leadership role, etc etc. It's probably a good idea. We assume he is supposed to dominate the junior league, but if you recall, the only reason we lucked into drafting him at #12 was because he DIDN'T dominate when it mattered most last year (allegedly due to sickness).

#86 Potato

Potato

Take Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,785 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:33 PM

Grigs is not good enough at this point of his career to get regular ice time on a bad team.
He's not ready. The mistake is not sending him down, it was keeping him up in the first place.

Thank you for being a voice of reason. Grigo isn't playing because he isn't ready. No point in leaving him up with the big club to sit the bench or be a healthy scratch when we need the roster spot with Leino coming back. He'll now have one additional year before becoming a UFA. He got a bit of experience with the big club. And, it heightens the possibility of making a move for a center before the deadline.

I think Darcy did the right thing today.

Edited by COSabre, 15 March 2013 - 05:38 PM.

#87 ThirtyEight

ThirtyEight

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:35 PM

Also the fact we burnt a year of the contract means it will be cheaper to resign him when he is 21 instead of 22. That third year is often the big one

#88 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Hand of the King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,453 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:39 PM

Good move. I think this was in the cards all along. I doubt it'll hurt him.

#89 gilbert11

gilbert11

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:45 PM

Congratulations, Darcy!! You made Yahoo's Puck Daddy blog for today with this brilliant move.

http://sports.yahoo....06860--nhl.html

#90 stenbaro

stenbaro

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:46 PM

Is he stepping down?

Maybe Hecht is getting an extension?

LOL....As idiotic as it sounds and as retarded a move it would be, it wouldnt be any more retarded than the move they made with him when they resigned him this year in the first place..

#91 Peppy22

Peppy22

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:46 PM

How could RR "get him to go" if he wasn't giving Grigs a chance. The scratches, limited ice time, being paired w/ guys who would not be on another NHL team roster, etc... RR never gave the guy a chance. Regier needs to be gone ASAP and Rolston had better be sent packing once this joke of a season is done. Good luck Pegula in trying to win back the Buffalo fan base.

By watching bim in practice

#92 Knightrider

Knightrider

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
  • Location:Near the East end of I-290 (Unfortunately it ends on I-495)

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:50 PM

I guess I'm in the minority by not hating this move at all. He ain't gonna play with the Sabres (a diff topic for another day) so let him get a nice playoff run in Juniors, maybe get a tryou with the Amerks at seasons end and be NHL/AHL ready next season. I like it.

Yup...

#93 Peppy22

Peppy22

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:07 PM

I don't get why "burning a year of his contract" is such a big thing...

First it was like:

"oh no they are going to send him down because they dont want to burn a year of his contract"

then they kept him and now it is:

"ahh great those idiots burned a year of his contract"

Edited by Peppy22, 15 March 2013 - 05:08 PM.

#94 Robviously

Robviously

What You Don't See

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,547 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:19 PM

I don't think it was abandoned. Honestly after listening to Darcy's comments, I think this was his plan all along. Keep him with the big team to learn, get some NHL experience, pick up some intricacies and hopefully some good habits from other NHLers, then return to juniors and apply what he's learned in a live, real-stakes situation. He'll get REAL ice time with skilled players, take on a leadership role, etc etc. It's probably a good idea. We assume he is supposed to dominate the junior league, but if you recall, the only reason we lucked into drafting him at #12 was because he DIDN'T dominate when it mattered most last year (allegedly due to sickness).

If this was the plan all along, why were the Quebec Remparts surprised to hear the news a couple hours ago? Wouldn't there have been some communication between the two teams, if not coordination?

We're 27 games into the season and there have already been three really confusing situations caused by management. The first was all the confusion after Grigorenko's fifth game. The team didn't seem like they had any idea what they were going to do and finally made an announcement in the afternoon. (And I think they linked the decision to them needing a center right now, not anything about how well he'd played.) The second was how they fired Ruff. He coached the team all morning, met with high school students, drove home, .....and then Regier drove over and fired him. And now they've caught Grigorenko's QMJHL team off-gaurd by sending him back.

They're making big decisions seemingly on the fly. As usual, there's no plan at all.

#95 spndnchz

spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,435 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:36 PM

If this was the plan all along, why were the Quebec Remparts surprised to hear the news a couple hours ago? Wouldn't there have been some communication between the two teams, if not coordination?

We're 27 games into the season and there have already been three really confusing situations caused by management. The first was all the confusion after Grigorenko's fifth game. The team didn't seem like they had any idea what they were going to do and finally made an announcement in the afternoon. (And I think they linked the decision to them needing a center right now, not anything about how well he'd played.) The second was how they fired Ruff. He coached the team all morning, met with high school students, drove home, .....and then Regier drove over and fired him. And now they've caught Grigorenko's QMJHL team off-gaurd by sending him back.

They're making big decisions seemingly on the fly. As usual, there's no plan at all.

He was speaking with Roy the weeks leading up to today. No surprise there.

#96 shrader

shrader

Enduring tortures most of which rhyme

• Members
  • 20,013 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:56 PM

First it was like:

"oh no they are going to send him down because they dont want to burn a year of his contract"

The one year of the contract was already burned up. We can't judge them for that at this point. All that matters now is whether or not this move as of today is best for his development. In my mind, build up the kids confidence a bit, then bring him back and see where he goes from there.

#97 TrueBlueGED

TrueBlueGED

#fancystats

• Members
  • 24,113 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 06:09 PM

First it was like:

I think there's a fine line between burning a year of his contract and using a year of his contract. If his time with the team was beneficial and aided in his development, then I don't see a problem....however whether or not that actually happened is up for debate.

Yes, all of this. Sending Grigorenko back to the Q may very well be the right move for his development, but the way it came about is the perfect example of being right for the wrong reasons.

#98 fiftyone

fiftyone

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 06:18 PM

I don't mind the move at all. I don't think anyone who has watched Grigorenko play can say that he was ready to be in the NHL. The shortened training camp didn't give the team a good amount of time to evaluate him, so I would assume they still weren't really sure where he was development wise when they made the original decision to keep him up. Now that it's clear he's both of no use to the Sabres AND not helping himself develop personally, they might as well get him playing where he is more comfortable.

With his 23rd game coming up and Leino coming back, everything fits.

#99 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,760 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:46 PM

"It's an opportunity for him to keep growing"
"He'll return here after his season with Quebec"
"What drove the decision was we were really using him in a 4th line role and weren't able to get him more minutes"

Fire the coach!!

EDIT TO ADD:

And while you are at it.

Fire the General Mismanager!!

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS, 15 March 2013 - 08:12 PM.

#100 bunomatic

bunomatic

bunomatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:56 PM

As asss backwards as this move was I think its the right move for Griggy, He'll get mass icetime and has a chance to play for the cup. I still think Regiers the polar opposite of a genius though. Just sayin... :P . Fire his butt.

#101 nobody

nobody

Title? Someday...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,461 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:59 PM

Could be Rochester. Darcy did say, though, he was going to Quebec for the plays and "then he'll be back" which kind of implied to me he meant Buffalo, but Rochester is certainly an option (perhaps a better one).

I'd say most likely Rochester over Buffalo - if the Amerks are still playing whenever he is done in Quebec.

#102 Derrico

Derrico

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,053 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:01 PM

That's sad they would pull it.....but it doesn't shock me. Maybe you need to be sarcastic with the sign..."Darcy...You're My Hero!"....then watch them BS.

HAHAHAHHAHA, I just told my wife and she laughed her head off. I wish I was more tech savey and I would post it because a Sabres employee actually took a picture of us before it was taken away. I even told the guy there's no profanity, it's not even really that offensive but all he could say is 'they're not going to like this' (whoever 'they' are).

#103 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,760 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:01 PM

Well after listening to Darcy, I'm not as upset as I was. I wasn't aware that the junior season is about to be over -- I guess I just always assumed it dragged into April like the NHL season. So Grigorenko will play 1 regular season game with Quebec and then try to redeem himself for a subpar performance in last year's memorial cup. So it's not like he's going down to play meaningless regular season games with the Remparts -- it will basically be for the playoffs, then he'll be back.

Edit: I still disagree with the way he was handled but I guess if you look at it more like a conditioning assignment than a "hey this guy isn't playing good let's send him down" type of knee jerk reaction move, then it isn't so bad. It sounds like Darcy had this planned all along and had little to do with roster management.

The Remparts did not play in the Memorial Cup last season. They lost to Halifax in the second round of the Q playoffs. After leading 3 games to 1, I might add. And Grigorenko did not play well, but he was hurt.

It is very unlikely that the Remparts will make it to the Memorial Cup this year. If they do they will have to, probably, win a playoff series against the Mooseheads this coming Q playoff. I don't need to remind anyone of the season the Mooseheads are finishing up. The Q playoffs start on Friday (March 22nd) and if the regular season is any indication the Mooseheads should have a field day.

Sorry, Jack, if I sound like a dick. Still pissed at this stupid move.

#104 Robviously

Robviously

What You Don't See

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,547 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:12 PM

He was speaking with Roy the weeks leading up to today. No surprise there.

Not according to John Vogl earlier today:

John Vogl@BuffNewsVogl
There have been no discussions between the Sabres and Quebec Remparts about sending Mikhail Grigorenko back to juniors, according to source.

John Vogl@BuffNewsVogl
Let me say the Quebec Remparts are surprised by this announcement.

Makes me wonder who Vogl's source is and how many people other there knew what was going on.

Edited by Robviously, 15 March 2013 - 08:13 PM.

#105 spndnchz

spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,435 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:30 PM

Not according to John Vogl earlier today:

John Vogl@BuffNewsVogl
There have been no discussions between the Sabres and Quebec Remparts about sending Mikhail Grigorenko back to juniors, according to source.

John Vogl@BuffNewsVogl
Let me say the Quebec Remparts are surprised by this announcement.

Makes me wonder who Vogl's source is and how many people other there knew what was going on.

Still haven't listened to DR presser aye?

#106 thesportsbuff

thesportsbuff

Officially a Bust

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,345 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:38 PM

The Remparts did not play in the Memorial Cup last season. They lost to Halifax in the second round of the Q playoffs. After leading 3 games to 1, I might add. And Grigorenko did not play well, but he was hurt.

It is very unlikely that the Remparts will make it to the Memorial Cup this year. If they do they will have to, probably, win a playoff series against the Mooseheads this coming Q playoff. I don't need to remind anyone of the season the Mooseheads are finishing up. The Q playoffs start on Friday (March 22nd) and if the regular season is any indication the Mooseheads should have a field day.

Sorry, Jack, if I sound like a dick. Still pissed at this stupid move.

Sorry, meant the Q playoffs, not memorial cup. We get so little junior coverage here I forget how the whole thing works. But my understand was that Quebec's early exit last year came as a disappointment. Maybe the expectations are not as high this year, but to be fair, I'm guessing not many other junior teams are getting a shot in the arm from a kid returning with a couple months of NHL experience & conditioning. It will be interesting to see how he performs in a kid's league now that he has hopefully been learning some things and practicing day in, day out with an NHL team. My only worry would be whether or not he can find chemistry with his new/old linemates after having not been there for so long.

And hey, if they get swept in the first round, oh well, Grigorenko will be back here sooner rather than later. But if Grigorenko leads them to what, judging by your post, would be a pretty significant upset, and perhaps takes them even further, it can only be good for his confidence.

Like I said, I still don't entirely agree with the move, but I can see the positives in having him play high-intensity win-or-die playoff games in juniors instead of essentially meaningless games here with Buffalo, especially given the amount of ice time he receives. It's basically a conditioning stint, or at least that's the spin I'm putting on it to hold me over.

#107 Robviously

Robviously

What You Don't See

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,547 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:50 PM

Still haven't listened to DR presser aye?

Only the parts they played on WGR as it happened.

#108 Marvelo

Marvelo

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:54 PM

I'm surprised they didn't give Gringo a 6 year contract for $48 million instead.

#109 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,760 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:08 PM

Sorry, meant the Q playoffs, not memorial cup. We get so little junior coverage here I forget how the whole thing works. But my understand was that Quebec's early exit last year came as a disappointment. Maybe the expectations are not as high this year, but to be fair, I'm guessing not many other junior teams are getting a shot in the arm from a kid returning with a couple months of NHL experience & conditioning. It will be interesting to see how he performs in a kid's league now that he has hopefully been learning some things and practicing day in, day out with an NHL team. My only worry would be whether or not he can find chemistry with his new/old linemates after having not been there for so long.

And hey, if they get swept in the first round, oh well, Grigorenko will be back here sooner rather than later. But if Grigorenko leads them to what, judging by your post, would be a pretty significant upset, and perhaps takes them even further, it can only be good for his confidence.

Like I said, I still don't entirely agree with the move, but I can see the positives in having him play high-intensity win-or-die playoff games in juniors instead of essentially meaningless games here with Buffalo, especially given the amount of ice time he receives. It's basically a conditioning stint, or at least that's the spin I'm putting on it to hold me over.

The Remparts do have a good team and were playing pretty well up until Grigorenko left them and have continued pretty well since he has been in Buffalo.

Bottom line is, the way the Mooseheads are playing (record now is ... 57 - 6 - 3 - 1) if any team beats them in the Q playoff, it will be a huge upset.

#110 BuffaninATL

BuffaninATL

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:29 PM

Darcy said he did speak with Grigorenko about the decision and says Grigs has "a very good mindset"

Well that is so very reassuring..... DR the spin meister.

#111 SabresBillsFan

SabresBillsFan

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,062 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:51 PM

Well this should be the tell tale sign to Terry and Ted that Regier has no clue on how to make a winner. Wasted Terry's money and 1 year of grigs entry level deal. Then u trade Brennan for a worthless 5th rounder. Unbelievable.

#112 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Dinosaur

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,069 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:16 PM

HAHAHAHHAHA, I just told my wife and she laughed her head off. I wish I was more tech savey and I would post it because a Sabres employee actually took a picture of us before it was taken away. I even told the guy there's no profanity, it's not even really that offensive but all he could say is 'they're not going to like this' (whoever 'they' are).

Maybe they'd like this one?.....

Attached Files

#113 Patty16

Patty16

High motor grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:19 PM

Everyone is over thinking this. The kid isnt NHL ready, if you have any doubt take a look at the kids picked ahead of him, they are lightyears ahead of him.

The contract issue isnt, it's simply not that big of a deal that they "burned a year", if he's good and the savior you're paying him either way. He still has a long way to go before that should be a concern.

#114 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Dinosaur

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,069 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:36 PM

Everyone is over thinking this. The kid isnt NHL ready, if you have any doubt take a look at the kids picked ahead of him, they are lightyears ahead of him.

The contract issue isnt, it's simply not that big of a deal that they "burned a year", if he's good and the savior you're paying him either way. He still has a long way to go before that should be a concern.

I agree the contract shouldn't be an issue...but it IS the kind of thing Darcy gets his jollies off on.

And I agree he has looked ordinary at best...but Leino is the one guy that would work magic with him...now both guys are stiffed.

You don't buy a used Porsche....take it out of the garage from December to February, then determine it's no good. Just a cluster-f of poor timing and decisions. The car may need work, but you never opened it up in good road conditions to see just what you had.

#115 Derrico

Derrico

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,053 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:38 PM

Maybe they'd like this one?.....

:w00t: Nicely done.

#116 Patty16

Patty16

High motor grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:39 PM

I agree the contract shouldn't be an issue...but it IS the kind of thing Darcy gets his jollies off on.

And I agree he has looked ordinary at best...but Leino is the one guy that would work magic with him...now both guys are stiffed.

You don't buy a used Porsche....take it out of the garage from December to February, then determine it's no good. Just a cluster-f of poor timing and decisions. The car may need work, but you never opened it up in good road conditions to see just what you had.

Grigs has looked more like a Peugeot than a used Porsche. He's young and physically underdeveloped. Give him time. He's just not ready and Leino wouldnt be enough.

He got a taste of the NHL, no he can go back to Juniors, work on his skating, his game and play some Mins. He was being outplayed by journeymen. It's not the end of the world.

#117 Trey

Trey

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:40 PM

Grigs is not good enough at this point of his career to get regular ice time on a bad team.
He's not ready. The mistake is not sending him down, it was keeping him up in the first place.

Bingo

#118 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Dinosaur

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,069 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:55 PM

Grigs has looked more like a Peugeot than a used Porsche. He's young and physically underdeveloped. Give him time. He's just not ready and Leino wouldnt be enough.

He got a taste of the NHL, no he can go back to Juniors, work on his skating, his game and play some Mins. He was being outplayed by journeymen. It's not the end of the world.

I agree. I remember when Turgeon first came here and there were 15 or so "oooooh la la" moments by now.

Grigs has had maybe 3 or 4.."that was nice" moments.

#119 spndnchz

spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,435 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:09 PM

Who then? Who would be playing in his spot at the beginning of the season with as much potential as him?

#120 Patty16

Patty16

High motor grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:14 PM

I agree. I remember when Turgeon first came here and there were 15 or so "oooooh la la" moments by now.

Grigs has had maybe 3 or 4.."that was nice" moments.

Yea exactly. He's pretty far off. Fans need to give the kid time. He's a boy playing amongst men. He doesnt have the skating ability to overcome that right now.

Who then? Who would be playing in his spot at the beginning of the season with as much potential as him?

No one. If they acquired other Center talent he would have never made this roster. I have been saying it since camp, this kid doesnt look ready. yet.