Photo

The other sports thread

baseball basketball herring toss cricket Bandits non-Bills football jello wrestling boxing etc.

• Please log in to reply
4704 replies to this topic

#4681 WildCard

WildCard

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,411 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 11:24 AM

See: Woody's correct opinion on the sport.

It's just like soccer, ya gotta know the chess match. It's a sophisticated man's sport, True. It takes more than a GED to understand the deep intricacies of baseball

#4682 TrueBlueGED

TrueBlueGED

#fancystats

• Members
  • 25,355 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 11:29 AM

It's just like soccer, ya gotta know the chess match. It's a sophisticated man's sport, True. It takes more than a GED to understand the deep intricacies of baseball

The only sport I'd consider chess is football. Regardless, baseball remains unwatchable on TV. It might not be as bad as watching golf or NASCAR, but it's not too far off. 

#4683 WildCard

WildCard

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 25,411 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 11:30 AM

The only sport I'd consider chess is football. Regardless, baseball remains unwatchable on TV. It might not be as bad as watching golf or NASCAR, but it's not too far off. 

Woah woah woah, baseball, soccer, and football are all chess matches. 

Watching golf is awesome

NASCAR is easily the worst sport to ever exist. They just ###### turn left, literally 600 times

#4684 Randall Flagg

Randall Flagg

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,224 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 11:32 AM

I now have the take that pretty much every sport is amazing, and I could watch all of them on tv as long as somebody who understands it well is with me to explain things that would go over my head

#4685 WildCard

WildCard

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 25,411 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 11:34 AM

I now have the take that pretty much every sport is amazing, and I could watch all of them on tv as long as somebody who understands it well is with me to explain things that would go over my head

I can't do Nascar, I just can't.

Cricket is a wild ride if you ever wanna get into that. 

#4686 Eleven

Eleven

Drunk Trailer Park Supervisor

• Members
  • 30,835 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 11:43 AM

I can't do Nascar, I just can't.

Cricket is a wild ride if you ever wanna get into that. 

Love Test cricket.  I don't like the shorter formats as much.

Edited by Eleven, 10 May 2018 - 11:44 AM.

#4687 EichSnipe

EichSnipe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 11:59 AM

Maybe I’m unique, but baseball is perfectly suited for my (insert millennial stereotype) attention span. While I have a game on, I’ll also be:
•talking to my wife about her day
•online shopping for my wife’s birthday present because oh ###### that’s sneaking up
•looking at my phone to see what you hooligans say
•getting up to grab a snack
•tossing a toy for my dog to fetch
•flipping through a magazine

And I don’t miss anything because of the downtime between action. It’s perfectly enjoyable. You get up to use the bathroom during a hockey game, BOOM you missed two goals and then zero goals are scored the 58 minutes you do watch.

Baseball on TV is a calm, relaxing, summertime night.

#4688 ubkev

ubkev

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,179 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 02:16 PM

I like NASCAR.

#4689 Iron Crotch

Iron Crotch

Take Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,445 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 03:11 PM

I'm partial to yak racing... 

#4690 ubkev

ubkev

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,179 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 06:28 PM

Hey, Oakland A's Matt Chapman. Oh, you're 2 for your last 32? Well here's an 0-2 fastball right down the middle. Enjoy!

Man, I hate when Sonny Gray pitches.

#4691 EichSnipe

EichSnipe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 06:35 PM

At least Gray has sped up his delivery!

But yeah, you should probably get your ERA under 6:00 before deserving a personal catcher.

#4692 ubkev

ubkev

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,179 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 06:44 PM

At least Gray has sped up his delivery!

But yeah, you should probably get your ERA under 6:00 before deserving a personal catcher.

Yep, he's not good. Can't put his fastball past anyone and he gives up fly balls. Bad bad bad. He needs to get together with CC and learn something.

#4693 Iron Crotch

Iron Crotch

Take Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,445 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 11:15 AM

Interesting read about San Antonio Spurs Assistant Coach Becky Hammond...   https://www.theplaye...ol-becky-hammon

#4694 Eleven

Eleven

• Members
  • 30,835 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 11:25 AM

Interesting read about San Antonio Spurs Assistant Coach Becky Hammond...   https://www.theplaye...ol-becky-hammon

That is interesting, and one line got me thinking:  Why have there only been a couple of European coaches in the NHL?

#4695 N S

N S

I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,709 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 12:58 PM

So, the Raptors were no match for LeBron, again.  The answer ... the usual ... fire the coach.

Three division titles and four playoff appearances in the last four years.  Three years in a row they were eliminated by LeBron.  Maybe, just maybe, it wasn't all the coaches fault, but what are you going to do?  Fire the players because they can't figure out that the playoffs are different?

That said, it was an indescribably stupid coaching decision to bench De Rosen for the entire 4th quarter in an extremely tight game 3 that was won by LeBron at the buzzer.  I don't care if he was having an terrible game.  You need your best player on the floor in that 4th quarter.

Bottom line ... the players were just not good enough to get it done in the playoffs ... again.

#4696 Iron Crotch

Iron Crotch

Take Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,445 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 01:02 PM

That is interesting, and one line got me thinking:  Why have there only been a couple of European coaches in the NHL?

Yeah, very few in the NBA and NHL. And, in soccer very few American coaches over in Europe.

#4697 Eleven

Eleven

• Members
  • 30,835 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 04:48 PM

Yeah, very few in the NBA and NHL. And, in soccer very few American coaches over in Europe.

The last one makes a lot of sense.  The NBA thing even makes some sense.  But the paucity of European coaches in the NHL is just bizarre.

#4698 ubkev

ubkev

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,179 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 06:23 PM

Jorge Linares vs Vasiliy Lomachenko tonight on ESPN for the lightweight titles. These two skinny little guys are the best in the division and probably 2 of the best 10 boxers on the planet. Can't wait! So glad ESPN is putting on good fights these days.

#4699 ubkev

ubkev

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,179 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 01:06 PM

Me and the boys went out and shot a 59 yesterday to defend our title and win our second consecutive employee golf tournament. We had to fight for this one. Only -2 through 6 holes and we only won by 1 stroke.

Oh, does sunscreen expire? Because I'm burnt to a crisp and I put that stuff on in 2 coats.

#4700 WildCard

WildCard

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 25,411 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 02:04 PM

Me and the boys went out and shot a 59 yesterday to defend our title and win our second consecutive employee golf tournament. We had to fight for this one. Only -2 through 6 holes and we only won by 1 stroke.

Oh, does sunscreen expire? Because I'm burnt to a crisp and I put that stuff on in 2 coats.

By 'me and the boys shot a 59' we all know you mean 'the boys shot a 59 while I got lost in the trees'

#4701 ubkev

ubkev

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,179 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 02:23 PM

I played only the sleeve of balls that they gave us with our company logo on them. I finished with all 3 of them.

Seriously though, I sank 9 putts. That's all I'm there for. My guys are all big hitters off the tee. I'm there to put wedges close and make putts.

#4702 Wyldnwoody44

Wyldnwoody44

Dont take life too seriously, Youll never get out alive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,426 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 09:21 PM

I'm There to drink and fund the companies that make ball retrievers.

#4703 LikeEich

LikeEich

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 187 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 02:49 AM

The last one makes a lot of sense. The NBA thing even makes some sense. But the paucity of European coaches in the NHL is just bizarre.

Not to get off topic but FWIW I think a European had captained an NHL team to a cup twice in nhl history? Something like that and the first one was 2008 I think no joke. Might have something to do with it, but might not be relevant.

Edited by LikeEich, 16 May 2018 - 02:49 AM.

#4704 shrader

shrader

Enduring tortures most of which rhyme

• Members
  • 20,305 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:49 AM

Not to get off topic but FWIW I think a European had captained an NHL team to a cup twice in nhl history? Something like that and the first one was 2008 I think no joke. Might have something to do with it, but might not be relevant.

Lidstrom and Chara.  And that second one was guaranteed once they got to the finals, Chara vs. Sedin.

#4705 ubkev

ubkev

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,179 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 03:16 AM

Well I'll be...Sonny Gray actually is vastly improved in his pitch pace this year.

https://www.fangraph...-down-the-game/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: baseball, basketball, herring toss, cricket, Bandits, non-Bills football, jello wrestling, boxing, etc.