• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,011 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 09:20 AM

damn you.

It was low-hanging fruit.

#1363 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,760 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 10:52 AM

So, is anyone else in full on panic mode considering the latest WC2018 qualifier results?

#1364 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

That Nostalgic Olfactory Blend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,513 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 11:02 AM

So, is anyone else in full on panic mode considering the latest WC2018 qualifier results?

Pretty much.

#1365 Sabres79

Sabres79

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 11:04 AM

It's almost as if Klinsmann wasn't personally responsible for our garbage players playing like garbage.  Funny, that.

That having been said, there's no chance at all the US won't qualify.*  There's equally no chance they'll do anything in Russia. 

*I reserve the right to retract this statement if they somehow lose to Honduras. 

#1366 Eleven

Eleven

Drunk Trailer Park Supervisor

• Members
  • 29,011 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 11:08 AM

Yes.

It's almost as if Klinsmann wasn't personally responsible for our garbage players playing like garbage.  Funny, that.

That having been said, there's no chance at all the US won't qualify.*  There's equally no chance they'll do anything in Russia. 

*I reserve the right to retract this statement if they somehow lose to Honduras. 

Klinsmann?

#1367 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,760 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 11:08 AM

Yup.  Bosna I Hercegovina lost 3-2 away to Cyprus.  I ask again, is Cyprus even a country?

#1368 Sabres79

Sabres79

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 11:18 AM

Klinsmann?

Jürgen.

#1369 Eleven

Eleven

• Members
  • 29,011 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 11:20 AM

Jürgen.

Yeah; he's been gone for a while now, no?

#1370 Sabres79

Sabres79

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 11:27 AM

Yeah; he's been gone for a while now, no?

He has, but if he indeed needed to be fired, then US Soccer should probably have had a better idea about replacing him than an old one that didn't work all that well the last time they tried it. 

Truth is, our players aren't all that good (with one obvious crazygonuts exception) and I'm not sure it matters who coaches this team. 

Actually, I'll amend that.  Arena took the US to its best ever results.  In 2002.  Jobbed out of a spot in the WC Semifinals.  Still, not sure he's up to making this bunch better than the sum of thier parts either. 

#1371 Eleven

Eleven

• Members
  • 29,011 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 11:31 AM

He has, but if he indeed needed to be fired, then US Soccer should probably have had a better idea about replacing him than an old one that didn't work all that well the last time they tried it. 

Truth is, our players aren't all that good (with one obvious crazygonuts exception) and I'm not sure it matters who coaches this team. 

Actually, I'll amend that.  Arena took the US to its best ever results.  In 2002.  Jobbed out of a spot in the WC Semifinals.  Still, not sure he's up to making this bunch better than the sum of thier parts either. 

Second best ever result (we were semifinalists once), but I get your point better now.  They definitely could have been more creative with the search for a new coach.

Still, I think the problem really is the roster, as you say.

#1372 Sabres79

Sabres79

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 02:01 PM

Spain is taking Italy to the woodshed.  1-0 after 13 minutes, I don't think Italy has actually touched the ball yet...

#1373 Taro T

Taro T

It leads you here despite your destination under the MW tonight.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,515 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 02:49 PM

Spain is taking Italy to the woodshed.  1-0 after 13 minutes, I don't think Italy has actually touched the ball yet...

Well, technically they HAD to touch the ball after giving up the goal. ;)

Though, could definitely believe they haven't had it much else.

#1374 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,760 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 10:50 AM

At least Toronto FC keeps rolling along.

http://www.cbc.ca/sp...d=1033866819656

#1375 Huckleberry

Huckleberry

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,227 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 08:07 AM

Well we got our ticket for the WC after an awefull game in Greece.

Damn those Greek know how to defend well, and they got some good fast counter attacks that hurt us a bit.

#1376 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,513 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 08:33 AM

Actually, I'll amend that. Arena took the US to its best ever results. In 2002. Jobbed out of a spot in the WC Semifinals. Still, not sure he's up to making this bunch better than the sum of thier parts either.

Good post. I am discouraged with the current state of our roster. The idea of squandering Pulisic with a lackluster squad is infuriating.

Big picture: I keep hearing USA Soccer needs to change the development structure (pay to play). Is that feasible?

#1377 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,760 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 09:40 AM

Huge win for BiH yesterday.  

Has put them in good position for a playoff match up in round 2.

If they make it to the playoff they will draw Portugal, as usual.  Book it.

#1378 Sabres79

Sabres79

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 02:01 PM

Big picture: I keep hearing USA Soccer needs to change the development structure (pay to play). Is that feasible?

It absolutely needs to happen. It absolutely won't. Too many people making too much money the way things are. I doubt anybody willingly lets go.

#1379 Hank

Hank

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 05:14 PM

I cannot recall seeing an American team play as poor as this one is. Wow. There are no words...

#1380 Eleven

Eleven

• Members
  • 29,011 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:06 AM

This team isn't going to the World Cup.

#1381 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,513 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:12 AM

I cannot recall seeing an American team play as poor as this one is. Wow. There are no words...

From what I heard and read, that seems to be the case. Yuck.

This team isn't going to the World Cup.

They still might eke it out. But, really - what might they expect to accomplish if they do qualify?

Also - is 2022 the first WC where the field is being greatly expanded? (I despise that decision, btw.)

#1382 Sabres79

Sabres79

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:20 AM

They will win the last two qualifiers, earning themselves a short and humiliating stay in the World Cup.

The whole program should be blown up and started again. Probably won't. We'll still be rolling out the likes of Tim Howard and Clint Dempsey for the next Gold Cup...

#1383 Eleven

Eleven

• Members
  • 29,011 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:22 AM

They will win the last two qualifiers, earning themselves a short and humiliating stay in the World Cup.

The whole program should be blown up and started again. Probably won't. We'll still be rolling out the likes of Tim Howard and Clint Dempsey for the next Gold Cup...

They didn't even roll out Tim Howard last night.

From what I heard and read, that seems to be the case. Yuck.

They still might eke it out. But, really - what might they expect to accomplish if they do qualify?

Also - is 2022 the first WC where the field is being greatly expanded? (I despise that decision, btw.)

I don't know.  But it should be the last one where slave labor is used to build stadiums in the desert.

#1384 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,513 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:28 AM

I don't know.  But it should be the last one where slave labor is used to build stadiums in the desert.

Amen to that.

I'm teetering away from the NFL because I can't effing stand the greed that drives the league's owners.

And, yet, I tend to think I'm finding some sort of refuge in international soccer?

#1385 Sabres79

Sabres79

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 11:53 AM

They didn't even roll out Tim Howard last night.

Won't make that mistake again..

#1386 Hank

Hank

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 12:32 PM

Amen to that.

I'm teetering away from the NFL because I can't effing stand the greed that drives the league's owners.

And, yet, I tend to think I'm finding some sort of refuge in international soccer?

?????

What greed?

#1387 Sabres79

Sabres79

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 05:47 PM

I heard an unfathomable stat today. Actually the second time I've come across it so I feel comfortable relaying it while not bothering to verify: if Manuel Neuer (Bayern Munich's Goalkeeper) had let in every single shot on goal he faced in the Bundesliga last season, Bayern would still have won the league.

That's a dominant team.

#1388 Eleven

Eleven

• Members
  • 29,011 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 08:48 PM

I heard an unfathomable stat today. Actually the second time I've come across it so I feel comfortable relaying it while not bothering to verify: if Manuel Neuer (Bayern Munich's Goalkeeper) had let in every single shot on goal he faced in the Bundesliga last season, Bayern would still have won the league.

That's a dominant team.

It's also a ###### league.  Getting better, though.

#1389 Potato

Potato

Take Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,785 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 10:09 PM

It's also a ###### league.  Getting better, though.

Huh? The Bundesliga is one of the top three leagues in the world (with the EPL and La Liga) and has been for a while. It's also the second richest soccer league in the world (next to the EPL).

#1390 Sabres79

Sabres79

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 10:32 PM

Huh? The Bundesliga is one of the top three leagues in the world (with the EPL and La Liga) and has been for a while. It's also the second richest soccer league in the world (next to the EPL).

It also has sensible ownership regulation (51% of every team must be owned by fans in trust, though Leipzig (Red Bull) seems to have effectively scammed this system, stay tuned) thus keeping prices low and actual fans in the stadium and is actually fun to watch both for the on-field product and the atmosphere the aforementioned fans create.

I'm not a huge fan of La Liga, speaking of ###### leagues. Sure, Real and Barca. Sometimes Atletico. After that, a miles-deep free fall. IMHO.

#1391 Potato

Potato

Take Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,785 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 10:48 PM

It also has sensible ownership regulation (51% of every team must be owned by fans in trust, though Leipzig (Red Bull) seems to have effectively scammed this system, stay tuned) thus keeping prices low and actual fans in the stadium and is actually fun to watch both for the on-field product and the atmosphere the aforementioned fans create.

I'm not a huge fan of La Liga, speaking of ###### leagues. Sure, Real and Barca. Sometimes Atletico. After that, a miles-deep free fall. IMHO.

I agree about La Liga... I find it boring to watch the two richest teams in the world (Barca & Real) destroy weaker competition week after week. La Liga also has a low % of foreign players, which isn't desirable for a top league.

I watch every Dortmund game that is televised. Maybe it is just wishful thinking, but I think Dortmund has a shot at Bayern this season.

#1392 Huckleberry

Huckleberry

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,227 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:03 AM

The fourth placed team advances to the intercontinental play-off.

So if USA ends up in 4th place they will have to play against the winner of Syria - Australia.

Should be better than either of those two teams, Australia is really weak so good chance of playing against Syria though.

#1393 Eleven

Eleven

• Members
  • 29,011 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:29 AM

It is getting better but I don't think it's been top three for "a while."  It might be now (Italy might vehemently disagree), but still there is quite a bit of distance between it and the top two.  And I think Ligue 1 would have had a decent claim to "top three" status recently.

But really, it's "top two" and a bunch of also-rans.

Edited by Eleven, Yesterday, 09:30 AM.

#1394 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,760 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:34 AM

There is always MLS ........

:devil:

#1395 Potato

Potato

Take Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,785 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:08 PM

It is getting better but I don't think it's been top three for "a while."  It might be now (Italy might vehemently disagree), but still there is quite a bit of distance between it and the top two.  And I think Ligue 1 would have had a decent claim to "top three" status recently.

But really, it's "top two" and a bunch of also-rans.

The Champions League final 5 years ago was Bayern vs. Dortmund.

I think there is a difference between one or two rich teams in an otherwise "average" league and a deep league with a lot of rich teams. The EPL is definitely the deepest league w/ 8 of the 20 richest teams in the world and the biggest TV contract.

La Liga and Ligue 1 have a few clubs that dwarf the others in terms of resources.

#1396 Potato

Potato

Take Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,785 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:38 PM

I feel like the USA is in a "tweener" stage where the old core group of guys like Donovan, Howard and Dempsey have gotten old and there wasn't a "next group" of guys to take their place. We do have new wave of young talent in guys like Pulisic (already established), Weston McKennie, Josh Perez, Matt Miazga, Hyndman, Zelalem, CCV, and others. But, they're not quite ready yet. So, we're stuck with a weird mix of guys past their prime and career MLS guys.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Off Topic, Soccer