Photo

GDT: Buffalo at Washington (3/27/2012, 7:00 pm)

Game Discussion Thread Washington

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
839 replies to this topic

#1 Doohickie

Doohickie

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,651 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:27 PM

We all know the stakes here: Winner gets an inside track to the 8th playoff spot in the East.

Message to the Sabres: JUST WIN, BABY!

#2 bunomatic

bunomatic

bunomatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,950 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:45 PM

This game is the season. Understatement of the year. Epic. Erase all the disappointments from earlier in the season and like the man said, just win baby ! GO SABRES !

Edited by bunomatic, 26 March 2012 - 11:46 PM.

#3 OverPowerYou

OverPowerYou

And Ottawa Must BE Destroyed...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:53 PM

I fully expect a shutout loss. Typical sabres always fall short.

#4 nfreeman

nfreeman

All I want is everything you got.

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,962 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:56 PM

This is their biggest test since game 7 vs. Philly. I think this game can fairly be seen as a crossroads -- if they lose, they're probably out of the playoffs, and a significant revamp in the offseason becomes much more likely. If they win, the playoffs are more likely than not to occur, which gives them a shot at winning a round, and that will affect the way they approach the offseason.

Have they turned a corner? Are we going to see a focused, determined effort that includes sharp goaltending, tenacious D AND timely scoring? Or will it be same-old, same-old?

That's why they play the games, innit?

Go Sabres.

#5 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Playground King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,970 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:17 AM

Hey Washington:

#6 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Dinosaur

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,069 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:32 AM

This is their biggest test since game 7 vs. Philly. I think this game can fairly be seen as a crossroads -- if they lose, they're probably out of the playoffs, and a significant revamp in the offseason becomes much more likely. If they win, the playoffs are more likely than not to occur, which gives them a shot at winning a round, and that will affect the way they approach the offseason.

Have they turned a corner? Are we going to see a focused, determined effort that includes sharp goaltending, tenacious D AND timely scoring? Or will it be same-old, same-old?

That's why they play the games, innit?

Go Sabres.

#7 Kristian

Kristian

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:32 AM

You said it.

Hoping the best, fully expecting the worst.

#8 I am Defecting

I am Defecting

Most Goals in Season

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:19 AM

Sacrificing a chicken to the goddess Athena as we speak. :worthy:

#9 TheMatrix31

TheMatrix31

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,943 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:43 AM

Game 7.

#10 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Playground King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,970 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:51 AM

Game 7.

Backs against the wall. No way out but through. I don't care if it takes ending Caps players seasons. I want this win more than I want Drew Stafford off this team.

#11 Oakstream

Oakstream

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 157 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:16 AM

Two words: MUST WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gerbe and Kaleta might be back tonight. Prediction? Someone will pat Gerbe and he will score the GW. Don't pat the Gerbe.

Edited by Oakstream, 27 March 2012 - 02:43 AM.

#12 wjag

wjag

Buffalo Sports -- Dysfunction Junction

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,837 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:36 AM

OV, Semin and Chimera are all playing well. It'll be interesting to see our line matchups against them...

#13 thesportsbuff

thesportsbuff

Officially a Bust

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,345 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:51 AM

Based on our remaining schedule, I hereby agree with labeling this game as a "must win." Despite how well the team has played as of late, I'm not sure if they can be counted on to win the majority of six games vs Washington, Pittsburgh, Toronto x2, Philadelphia, and Boston. That is downright brutal.

#14 wjag

wjag

Buffalo Sports -- Dysfunction Junction

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,837 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:56 AM

Based on our remaining schedule, I hereby agree with labeling this game as a "must win." Despite how well the team has played as of late, I'm not sure if they can be counted on to win the majority of six games vs Washington, Pittsburgh, Toronto x2, Philadelphia, and Boston. That is downright brutal.

Not saying I'm believing this, but I offer it for food for thought. During the Ottawa - Winnipeg game last night, the Ottawa broadcast team offered that the Sabres may not lose another regular season game. Yeah their nervous in Ottawa...

#15 Kristian

Kristian

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:58 AM

Hopefully, Pitts, Philly and Boston will have clinched by then, that changes everything.

#16 thesportsbuff

thesportsbuff

Officially a Bust

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,345 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:05 AM

Hopefully, Pitts, Philly and Boston will have clinched by then, that changes everything.

Eh, it could change a little bit I suppose. I don't think teams are going to rest their entire lineup. All of those teams are deep enough that even if you rest one or two star players, they're dangerous. Pittsburgh, for one, will definitely be tough, because regardless of playoff positioning, they're going to want to keep getting Crosby acclimated and ready for playoffs.

Philly and Boston may be different stories, but as I said, still very deep and dangerous teams.

Anyway, here is my blog post about tonight's game if anybody is interested: http://www.thesportsbuff.com/?p=1273

#17 bills_fan_in_raleigh

bills_fan_in_raleigh

Live in Raleigh but Bleed Buffalo Sports an I hate the canes!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,283 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:05 AM

If they ever needed a big win and lots of scoring by forwards tonight the night

#18 Scotty

Scotty

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:13 AM

This will get you in mood.

I will be touching down in Germany when the game starts. Thank God for the GR App.

Say a prayer to the baby Jesus and put Oven Chicken into the boards!

Give em' Hell Boys!

#19 I am Defecting

I am Defecting

Most Goals in Season

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:03 AM

Ovechkin will be only one of the many Capitals that we conquer tonight!

Their playoff hopes and dreams will be annexed!

#20 Doohickie

Doohickie

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,651 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:21 AM

Annexed? I've never hoped for annexation as the result of a hockey game before.

BTW... my first GDT. If the Sabres lose, there won't be a second.

#21 rbochan

rbochan

Zamboni Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:24 AM

Get 2 points.

#22 FolignosJock

FolignosJock

Komisarek cant hold me !

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:29 AM

So excited for this game, this will be my first away sabres game that I will be attending!!!!

#23 Guest_Sloth_*

Guest_Sloth_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:39 AM

I know it's not a realistic comparison, but I'm feeling as if this game is as big as when the Sabres played the Rangers in Game 5 in round 2 of the 06/07 playoffs. Many felt who ever won that game was an almost guarantee winner of the series. I also like to compare this game to when Team USA played Team Vancouver to play in the gold medal game in the Vancouver Winter Olympics.

What gives me a huge amount of confidence in Ryan Miller are 2 major things. His recent level of play and the fact he did not roll over to the Rangers, Finland, and arguably the biggest one of all Team Canada. Miller stood on his head in pool play and in the gold medal game. He was THE reason Team USA did so well.

I feel the pressure is on the skaters, not Ryan Miller.

#24 lost in dc

lost in dc

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:45 AM

as someone who has suffered with my brothers and sisters for many many years, nothing is worse than living here. every year i listen and read about the caps winning the stanley cup. i am so over ovie and his rock star life. all i want tonight is a good old fashioned asswhupping. rocking my #42 jersey in section 105, behind miller for 2 periods. no red lights in front of me, just win baby.

#25 FolignosJock

FolignosJock

Komisarek cant hold me !

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:58 AM

as someone who has suffered with my brothers and sisters for many many years, nothing is worse than living here. every year i listen and read about the caps winning the stanley cup. i am so over ovie and his rock star life. all i want tonight is a good old fashioned asswhupping. rocking my #42 jersey in section 105, behind miller for 2 periods. no red lights in front of me, just win baby.

i think im in 107

#26 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:00 AM

This is it!!! Can't wait to see what this team is made of!!!....Need to make up for the total no show in game seven of last year's 1st round playoffs.

No disappearing acts from Van, Staff, Roy, and Poms are allowed tonight!!! The so called CORE better show up in a big way!!!

Go Sabres!!!

#27 dEnnis the Menace

dEnnis the Menace

D63

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,077 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:08 AM

...Time to nut up, or shut up

#28 FuhrFury

FuhrFury

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:16 AM

My opinion is that this is THE defining game for the Regier/Ruff/Miller/Pominville/Roy/Vanek/Stafford regime. Lose this one and the season's playoff dreams are basically over. That would make it FIVE straight seasons since 06-07 where these guys were unable to advance past the first round of the playoffs. At that point, pressure on Pegula to blow it all up will be intense.

Just to quantify the importance of this game: http://www.sportsclu...st/Buffalo.html

Check out the playoff probability swing....47%!

#29 Derrico

Derrico

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,939 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:20 AM

This is it. Massive game. As has been discussed we've got a tough 5 game stretch to end the season (although the leafs are terrible so we'll see). Gonna be a tough, nervous game. Isn't that what we live for though?

#30 LastPommerFan

LastPommerFan

Sip it, you heathen.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,598 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:34 AM

Can't Think, Hockey Game too Important. Feel bad for employer.

#31 eball

eball

Unabashed Optimist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:46 AM

Very anxious for 7 p.m. to hurry up and arrive. Let's go, blue and gold!

#32 dEnnis the Menace

dEnnis the Menace

D63

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,077 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:52 AM

Can't Think, Hockey Game too Important. Feel bad for employer.

I second this. I have a performance review in 10 minutes. After that, I just have some follow ups to deal with the rest of the day. I just want it to be 7 now! I have zero motivation beyond 945AM (end of review).

#33 mediumishot

mediumishot

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 195 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:52 AM

So pumped. Im leaving work here in Baltimore around 1 to do some raping and pilaging before the game.

If anyone is going out before, a healthy contingent of Sabres fans will be at Fado, an Irish pub near the arena. I cant wait to get loud.

#34 Claude_Verret

Claude_Verret

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,388 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:57 AM

Win.

So pumped. Im leaving work here in Baltimore around 1 to do some raping and pilaging before the game.

If anyone is going out before, a healthy contingent of Sabres fans will be at Fado, an Irish pub near the arena. I cant wait to get loud.

Don't forget baby eating. Your raping and pillaging efforts will be for naught without indulging in some baby eating.

#35 mediumishot

mediumishot

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 195 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:00 AM

Win.

Don't forget baby eating. Your raping and pillaging efforts will be for naught without indulging in some baby eating.

ahh right, baby eating. And to think, I was going to skip lunch.

#36 CallawaySabres

CallawaySabres

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,691 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:03 AM

They will win
Tropp should stay in, not Gerbe and Kaleta will play
Goaltending and defense will win this for Buff
This team HAS to make the playoffs in order to see a proper evaluation of what to do in the Summer. WHEN they make it, I want Pitt as there will be no better measuring stick to determine how far they are from contending...

#37 korab rules

korab rules

spelunker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,076 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:12 AM

Ruff strongly hinted on GR this morning that Kaleta will go, Gerbe won't. As it should be.

#38 Kristian

Kristian

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:12 AM

Eh, it could change a little bit I suppose. I don't think teams are going to rest their entire lineup. All of those teams are deep enough that even if you rest one or two star players, they're dangerous. Pittsburgh, for one, will definitely be tough, because regardless of playoff positioning, they're going to want to keep getting Crosby acclimated and ready for playoffs.

Philly and Boston may be different stories, but as I said, still very deep and dangerous teams.

Anyway, here is my blog post about tonight's game if anybody is interested: http://www.thesportsbuff.com/?p=1273

It's not about resting anyone, it's about not wanting people hurt, or bruised when it isn't really necessary.

It's about not reaching that extra inch for a puck, because it puts you in a place you don't want to be. That kind of stuff.

Might mean nothing, but it could also mean the difference between dominating someone or being run over by a hungrier team, yourself.

#39 Tyrannustyrannus

Tyrannustyrannus

Buffalo what?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:17 AM

So excited for this game, this will be my first away sabres game that I will be attending!!!!

My first away Sabres game was at the Verizon center near the end of the 2005-2006 season. We had a week-long class trip to visit the Smithsonian for my Museum Class and It just so happened to be when the Sabres were playing. My whole class got tickets for $5 each. It was awesome. They won too!

#40 apuszczalowski

apuszczalowski

Commander of the Armies of the North

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,264 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:38 AM

How else would you have the energy to continue raping and pilaging? A proper diet of Baby eating is a must......