10423 replies to this topic

#10401 ubkev

ubkev

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 02:45 AM

I see that guy a few times a day at work. Not that actual guy but you get it.

It's not very awesome. Alcohol is by far the worst drug out there in terms of the damage it does to people, families, and communities. The sheer cost in lives and livelihoods, costs to all of us in terms of damage to property and the strain it puts on the criminal justice system dwarfs the rest of the drug problem, but we have chosen not to look at it that way.

I say this as a guy who has been known to have the occasional drink or twelve. I don't want prohibition. But we need to have a look at how we address the issue.

It's advertised as the coolest thing you could ever possibly do with your down time. (Says the guy who's know to be day drunk in a dark bar, filled with cigarette smoke and a bunch of Vietnam vets at 11:30 in the morning, watching The Price is Right.)

#10402 shrader

shrader

Enduring tortures most of which rhyme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,414 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 07:46 AM

It's advertised as the coolest thing you could ever possibly do with your down time. (Says the guy who's know to be day drunk in a dark bar, filled with cigarette smoke and a bunch of Vietnam vets at 11:30 in the morning, watching The Price is Right.)

Did they play plinko?

#10403 ubkev

ubkev

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 10:47 AM

Did they play plinko?

Sometimes

#10404 Wyldnwoody44

Wyldnwoody44

Dont take life too seriously, Youll never get out alive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,533 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 01:58 PM

Just got some tacos at LaDivina.... And they were awesome

#10405 darksabre

darksabre

Positive Waves

• Members
  • 36,679 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 03:29 PM

Just got some tacos at LaDivina.... And they were awesome

The best tacos in town. 

#10406 Samson's Flow

Samson's Flow

Honorary Canadian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,727 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 11:21 AM

The best tacos in town. 

and conveniently a block away from my house. :beer:

#10407 Wyldnwoody44

Wyldnwoody44

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,533 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 03:21 PM

This is my afternoon :)Attached File  20180609_113206.jpg   196.62KB   0 downloadsAttached File  20180609_110120.jpg   204.05KB   0 downloadsAttached File  20180609_123820.jpg   187.41KB   0 downloads

#10408 darksabre

darksabre

Positive Waves

• Members
  • 36,679 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 03:23 PM

Nice!

#10409 ubkev

ubkev

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 03:33 PM

You figured out the camera! Yay!

#10410 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Shut the blank up, you selfish blank!

• Members
  • 28,911 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 03:36 PM

I see that guy a few times a day at work.  Not that actual guy but you get it.  

It's not very awesome.  Alcohol is by far the worst drug out there in terms of the damage it does to people, families, and communities.  The sheer cost in lives and livelihoods, costs to all of us in terms of damage to property and the strain it puts on the criminal justice system dwarfs the rest of the drug problem, but we have chosen not to look at it that way.  

I say this as a guy who has been known to have the occasional drink or twelve.  I don't want prohibition.  But we need to have a look at how we address the issue.  

Hear, hear. Our police chief said a few years ago the common denominator in almost all of the violent crime in our small town is alcohol. People think it's illicit drugs.

Binge drinking is up among adults. What the hell. Time to grow up. (Pain killers too, of course. And the suicide rate.)

Exactly what is it about modern American life that is so awful that people need to escape in such ways, sometimes permanently?

#10411 ubkev

ubkev

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 03:58 PM

Hear, hear. Our police chief said a few years ago the common denominator in almost all of the violent crime in our small town is alcohol. People think it's illicit drugs.

Binge drinking is up among adults. What the hell. Time to grow up. (Pain killers too, of course. And the suicide rate.)

Exactly what is it about modern American life that is so awful that people need to escape in such ways, sometimes permanently?

Drinking culture is a huge part of it. I went from CNY, to Buffalo, to NE Pennsylvania, and all three areas drink their faces off. Friends and I went out to visit a buddy in San Francisco, those people really didn't 'get us'. Been to Ohio numerous times, they think we drink to excess as well. Central Florida was wondering why we weren't doing meth, and Chicago doesn't think we have a drinking problem.

I really think most of it is what you grew up around. Waking up and riding out to the Bills game with your buddies? Shower beer is definitely the way to start the day. Monday holiday? Trashed, obviously. Everyone else is doing it. Why shouldn't I? (Strangely enough, I've never seen my mother have more than a glass of wine, and the only time I've seen my father drunk was my doing.)

The pill epidemic is just sad. I'm thankful that I don't have any friends who have OD'd from that ######. But I definitely have acquaintances that have what I think is a problem.

#10412 Wyldnwoody44

Wyldnwoody44

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,533 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 04:44 PM

I've learned that people suck everywhere, but the addiction to pills (opiates) especially is out of hand

You can thank CMS/govt/medicaid for that.
Ultimatley the govt forced docs to hand them out like candy, and now they can't backtrack enough.

As for alcohol, all the time I travel, one question I almost always get asked is if I got hammered in said country I'm traveling to. I'm not a big drinker and when I tie on one, it's usually somewhere cool or for a very special occasion, when I travel I want to see and do things, not come home and not remember where I was.

#10413 EichSnipe

EichSnipe

Wellllll how do you do?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 06:03 PM

I've learned that people suck everywhere, but the addiction to pills (opiates) especially is out of hand

You can thank CMS/govt/medicaid for that.
Ultimatley the govt forced docs to hand them out like candy, and now they can't backtrack enough.

As for alcohol, all the time I travel, one question I almost always get asked is if I got hammered in said country I'm traveling to. I'm not a big drinker and when I tie on one, it's usually somewhere cool or for a very special occasion, when I travel I want to see and do things, not come home and not remember where I was.

Funny, we had some friends that were baffled we didn’t go to an all-inclusive resort for our honeymoon. They couldn’t understand how we could want anything other than a beach chair to day drink from.

We went zip lining over a coastal fruit farm, scuba diving with sea turtles, hiking up and down mountains and volcanos, snorkeling over a coral reef...

I had a beer here or there. And a mai tai of course. But we were very much adventurous. My wife isn’t a big drinker. I love a good couple beers at a brewery with an appetizer maybe. But we spent our time and money on food and adventures in Hawaii. And it was awesom!

All one year ago too.. tomorrow is my first anniversary :)

#10414 ubkev

ubkev

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 06:08 PM

Funny, we had some friends that were baffled we didn’t go to an all-inclusive resort for our honeymoon. They couldn’t understand how we could want anything other than a beach chair to day drink from.

We went zip lining over a coastal fruit farm, scuba diving with sea turtles, hiking up and down mountains and volcanos, snorkeling over a coral reef...

I had a beer here or there. And a mai tai of course. But we were very much adventurous. My wife isn’t a big drinker. I love a good couple beers at a brewery with an appetizer maybe. But we spent our time and money on food and adventures in Hawaii. And it was awesom!

Sounds pretty darn good to me.

#10415 Wyldnwoody44

Wyldnwoody44

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,533 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 10:04 PM

You figured out the camera! Yay!

Either SS updated or my phone did, because I'm not doing anything different

Happy anniversary!

#10416 nfreeman

nfreeman

All I want is everything you got.

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,154 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 04:21 PM

Me too and congrats Eich!

#10417 North Buffalo

North Buffalo

When hell freezes over, I’ll play hockey there too.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,164 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 04:58 PM

Love it. My wife and with our teo boys just got back from a 3 week trip across the northern part of the US. We drove and camped in a converted haul tailer. Pics too big to post from Iphone. We went to Niiagra Falls Maid of the Mist, Detroit and saw the Hiedelberg project... met the artist, camped up near Mackinaw Island, across southen lake Superior, Kayaking in caves along the Madeleine Islands, stopped at some beaches and drove thru Superior/Duluth... interesting old iron mill town. Stayed a night with my cousin a graphic design artist in St Paul. Roller Coastered in the Mall of Americas... Checked out Vikings new stadium... its awesome. Then on thru Fargo to Meduro ND where Teddy Roosevelt hunted and saw lots of Buffalo. Headed thru Montana... Billings MT is hole oil and gas town, but Boseman MT a college town is cool, lots of coffee barns! Headed up to Glacier National park alongside Emerald lake and camped in Algar at base of park along Lake MacDonald. Rode our bikes along flathead river on the highway to the Sun. Snow drifts right down to the road! From there it kept getting better, but gotta pic up dinner.

#10418 Wyldnwoody44

Wyldnwoody44

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,533 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 06:00 PM

I met this native American chief from North Dakota on the train, we chatted for hours, exchanged info and I'm planning on going out to visit, he is going to show me the ceremonies,they still trap hunt and etc..... Conversely, he wants me to show him the Seneca territory and come to visit here, before we parted he gave me an arrowhead he had made, very cool. Attached File  20180610_103553.jpg   110.31KB   0 downloads

#10419 North Buffalo

North Buffalo

When hell freezes over, I’ll play hockey there too.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,164 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 06:26 PM

I met this native American chief from North Dakota on the train, we chatted for hours, exchanged info and I'm planning on going out to visit, he is going to show me the ceremonies,they still trap hunt and etc..... Conversely, he wants me to show him the Seneca territory and come to visit here, before we parted he gave me an arrowhead he had made, very cool. attachicon.gif20180610_103553.jpg

Cool! The guy who was our guide kayaking was a Cherokee/Ojibway Red Cliff native american. He was awesome. HIGHLY RECOMMEND VISITING the caves at the Madeleine Islands thru him, And yes they still trap and hunt.

Edited by North Buffalo, 10 June 2018 - 06:29 PM.

#10420 Wyldnwoody44

Wyldnwoody44

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,533 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 07:32 PM

Cool! The guy who was our guide kayaking was a Cherokee/Ojibway Red Cliff native american. He was awesome. HIGHLY RECOMMEND VISITING the caves at the Madeleine Islands thru him, And yes they still trap and hunt.

I was pumped chatting with this guy, we were so similar in the approach we take to life/the world, I'm gonna take him up on his offer!

#10421 darksabre

darksabre

Positive Waves

• Members
  • 36,679 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 08:08 PM

I met this native American chief from North Dakota on the train, we chatted for hours, exchanged info and I'm planning on going out to visit, he is going to show me the ceremonies,they still trap hunt and etc..... Conversely, he wants me to show him the Seneca territory and come to visit here, before we parted he gave me an arrowhead he had made, very cool. 20180610_103553.jpg

Outstanding.

#10422 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

• Members
  • 28,911 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 08:11 PM

My buddy who has kidney cancer that spread to his lungs and brain qualified recently for the Ride for Roswell Peloton. (Ride for Roswell is a cycling event that raises money for Roswell Cancer Institute, and a Peloton is a pack of bicyclists.) On Friday evening (June 22) before the main event on Saturday, he'll bike from Roswell to the opening ceremonies at UB North Campus.

He was in a cancer drug trial at Roswell for over five years and sort of fought his cancer to a draw before it spread to his adrenal gland over the winter, and he had to be taken off the trial. They're hoping to find a new trial for him, but hey're struggling to find one he qualifies for. Things have gotten a little rough for him physically and emotionally. The fact he is going to bike 12 miles in this event is absolutely incredible. He's been in training for months.

#10423 biodork

biodork

I love lamp.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,016 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 12:02 AM

That's incredible stuff, PA. (I can't do that bike ride as a healthy person!) Hope your friend is able to find another drug trial.

#10424 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

• Members
  • 28,911 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 05:53 PM

That's incredible stuff, PA. (I can't do that bike ride as a healthy person!) Hope your friend is able to find another drug trial.

Thanks. I think he's going to get some news on Friday.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: off topic