2438 replies to this topic

#2361 spndnchz

spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,540 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:52 AM

Reportedly, the NHLPA has accepted the 10 year CBA length and the NHL has backed off the 5 year contract limit.

NHLPA looking for some league $ for pension.

#2362 CallawaySabres

CallawaySabres

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,873 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:29 AM

Reportedly, the NHLPA has accepted the 10 year CBA length and the NHL has backed off the 5 year contract limit.

NHLPA looking for some league $ for pension.

http://prohockeytalk...ing-cba-length/

#2363 ThirtyEight

ThirtyEight

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,578 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:21 PM

http://prohockeytalk...ing-cba-length/

I hope that they keep the 10% year to year thing in, otherwise this has basically been for nothing and the league won't have changed at all

#2364 nfreeman

nfreeman

All I want is everything you got.

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,435 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:25 PM

From Dave Shoalts

https://twitter.com/dshoalts

Shoalts is a blowhard, IMHO. From the Globe and Mail, Mirtle and Duhatschek are far more credible.

I hope that they keep the 10% year to year thing in, otherwise this has basically been for nothing and the league won't have changed at all

I too want them to keep it in, but even if they don't, this won't have been for nothing. Reducing the players' share from 57% to 50% is huge overall. And for leveling the playing field purposes, limiting contract length to 5 or 6 years (with the original team being able to go to 7) is also very significant.

#2365 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

from the bottom to the top

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:37 PM

I too want them to keep it in, but even if they don't, this won't have been for nothing. Reducing the players' share from 57% to 50% is huge overall. And for leveling the playing field purposes, limiting contract length to 5 or 6 years (with the original team being able to go to 7) is also very significant.

giggle :angel:

As I drag myself from Hibernation to write this post I found myself wondering some things. First and foremost is the blatant truth that this deal could have been in September. Now some will say that is not true and to a degree that it so, however if parties were willing to bargain then we would be watching hockey. Second is the fact that this is the deal we have known for months was the deal that would be put in place. It is a moderate deal that fixes some of the issues and edges the players down to 50/50. Third and finally is the fact that hockey is and has been damaged. Sure most of the fans will return but many will not, not for awhile. Maybe I will be wrong and everything will be sunshine and sparkles, but I doubt it. A 48 game season and "thank you fans" on the ice is a lousy gift from the NHL for this new year.

#2366 Taro T

Taro T

It leads you here despite your destination under the MW tonight.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,858 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:47 PM

giggle :angel:

As I drag myself from Hibernation to write this post I found myself wondering some things. First and foremost is the blatant truth that this deal could have been in September. Now some will say that is not true and to a degree that it so, however if parties were willing to bargain then we would be watching hockey. Second is the fact that this is the deal we have known for months was the deal that would be put in place. It is a moderate deal that fixes some of the issues and edges the players down to 50/50. Third and finally is the fact that hockey is and has been damaged. Sure most of the fans will return but many will not, not for awhile. Maybe I will be wrong and everything will be sunshine and sparkles, but I doubt it. A 48 game season and "thank you fans" on the ice is a lousy gift from the NHL for this new year.

Without the 2 sides trusting each other, this (apparent) deal was not possible in September.

If the players do end up with more of a 'partnership' role in setting up how the league is organized and how it brings in funds, perhaps the 2 sides will trust each other by the time this deal is done. Were that to come out of this (and I wouldn't want to predict that it will), then this lockout's ST damage will be eclipsed by its LT gains.

But the animosity that begat this lockout is far older than you are.

#2367 MattPie

MattPie

J-Bot, U-Bot, and We-Bot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,666 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:53 PM

https://twitter.com/...491317943967744

This would go a long way in mending fences with fans, IMO.

With my luck, they'll make Center Ice (Cable) free, but not Game Center (internet streaming).

#2368 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,085 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:37 PM

This video sums up my feelings concerning the NHL ...

#2369 spndnchz

spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,540 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:52 PM

NHLPA has given response to NHL offer from last night and they'll probably have a meeting with the NHL again after the NHL looks it over.

#2370 spndnchz

spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,540 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:18 PM

They've been meeting for over an hour now no word on anything.

#2371 TrueBlueGED

TrueBlueGED

#fancystats

• Members
  • 24,369 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:34 PM

They've been meeting for over an hour now no word on anything.

Good. At this point I don't want to hear anything other than "we have agreed in principle to a new 10-year CBA."

#2372 CallawaySabres

CallawaySabres

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,873 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:49 PM

http://prohockeytalk...19-opening-day/

#2373 spndnchz

spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,540 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:14 PM

NHL responds and meeting hits two and one half hours.

#2374 Derrico

Derrico

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,157 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:17 PM

NHL responds and meeting hits two and one half hours.

Doesnt sound good.

Real_ESPNLeBrun: Hearing both sides disappointed with lack of true movement in each other's new positions today... Key is to keep talking though..

#2375 Briere48

Briere48

Blood and Guts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,168 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:20 PM

Buzz kill...

L.A. Lariviere@L_A_theRiver
From what I've heard this evening, there's more hype than true reason for optimism in NHLvsNHLPA discussions. Decertification still possible

Pierre LeBrunVerified@Real_ESPNLeBrun
Hearing both sides disappointed with lack of true movement in each other's new positions today... Key is to keep talking though..

#2376 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

• Members
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:22 PM

You know I didn't even really follow the meetings today. Now that I am hearing from various tweeters and such that both sides are disappointed I am not only apathetic but I find myself missing college football not hockey.

#2377 Sabre Dance

Sabre Dance

Ah, that new GM smell...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:40 AM

You know I didn't even really follow the meetings today. Now that I am hearing from various tweeters and such that both sides are disappointed I am not only apathetic but I find myself missing college football not hockey.

I agree - but, there have been some really great bowl contests. Louisville (#21) vs. Florida (#3) looked like it might be a mismatch, but it was a great game and the Cardinals came out on top. LSU vs. Clemson was another great game. Tonight, it's Oregon vs. Kansas State (#4 against #5); this should be an awesome matchup (and a chance to see the Bills' new head coach in action :rolleyes: ) Of course, the "big one" is Monday night; that will be "must see TV". I'll be cheering for Notre Dame, not because I like them better than Alabama but because their football program has struggled for so many years. It would be great to see them win a national championship.

Oh, yeah - on the actual topic of the thread, the NHLPA did NOT file for a disclaimer of interest yesterday (their self-imposed deadline), so there's that. What it means in the grand scheme of things.... <_<

Edited by Sabre Dance, 03 January 2013 - 08:41 AM.

#2378 bunomatic

bunomatic

bunomatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,191 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:27 AM

Apparently sabres players have been ramping up workouts the last couple of days in anticipation of the season starting so although not much is leaking out of the meetings at this point I suppose this can be looked at as a positive sign. Take it for what its worth.

#2379 spndnchz

spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,540 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:41 AM

Apparently sabres players have been ramping up workouts the last couple of days in anticipation of the season starting so although not much is leaking out of the meetings at this point I suppose this can be looked at as a positive sign. Take it for what its worth.

A couple of teams are already preparing their training camps.

#2380 TrueBlueGED

TrueBlueGED

#fancystats

• Members
  • 24,369 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:44 AM

Pierre LeBrun@Real_ESPNLeBrun

Another detail emerging: NHL has upped its compliance buyout offer to 2 per team, up from 1 prior to 2013-14 season.

I can think of more than a few posters who will need a change of pants after reading this :P

#2381 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

• Members
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:08 AM

Pierre LeBrun@Real_ESPNLeBrun
Another detail emerging: NHL has upped its compliance buyout offer to 2 per team, up from 1 prior to 2013-14 season.

I can think of more than a few posters who will need a change of pants after reading this :P

Ville Leino go buh bye...

#2382 apuszczalowski

apuszczalowski

Commander of the Armies of the North

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,323 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:25 AM

Ville Leino go buh bye...

Who thinks the Sabres would actually use this? Just because they have it, doesn't mean they have to use it

I don't think the front office really wants to dump Leino so quickly.
If they really want to have fun, the league should make it so the fans chose who gets bought out by the team

#2383 wjag

wjag

Buffalo Sports -- Dysfunction Junction

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,837 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:56 AM

Who thinks the Sabres would actually use this? Just because they have it, doesn't mean they have to use it

If they really want to have fun, the league should make it so the fans chose who gets bought out by the team

Leino is a keeper...

#2384 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:58 AM

@DarrenDreger
No shortage of "will" to get a deal done, however, I'm told PA vets, Shane Doan and Marty St Louis are very focused on the end game.

Let's go boys, bring it home.

#2385 Patty16

Patty16

High motor grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:40 PM

A couple of teams are already preparing their training camps.

I'm told the players have essentially been told the season is on. The slow pace of the negotiations the past few days has been to allow them time to return/oversees and detox.

#2386 shrader

shrader

Enduring tortures most of which rhyme

• Members
  • 20,132 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:41 PM

They already have ~$50 million in cap space committed to players next year. That includes only 3 current NHL blueliners (Myers, Ehrhoff, Sekera) and 1 goalie (Miller). So if they do only have $10 million to work with, some space could be helpful, especially if they want to add to the team and not just fill out those last few spots. He could be a very likely target if they want some flexibility.

#2387 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

• Members
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:25 PM

They already have ~$50 million in cap space committed to players next year. That includes only 3 current NHL blueliners (Myers, Ehrhoff, Sekera) and 1 goalie (Miller). So if they do only have $10 million to work with, some space could be helpful, especially if they want to add to the team and not just fill out those last few spots. He could be a very likely target if they want some flexibility.

This is what I was thinking, next year cap space will be an issue (est. cap around 63mil). Of course next years cap number will be dependent on these negotiations so that number can vary.

I think that part of the issue surrounding Leino will also be dependent on the Sabres views on Grigorenko, Ennis, and Hodgson and to a lesser extent Adam and Girgensons. If the sabres believe these players will need to take that cap space from Leino and will be better than him immediately or within the very near future (next yr for some) than I would guess they would be more willing to walk away from Leino. It all depends on how Darcy and company see their team not this year but next. My guess is that they wait until this summer to buy anyone out. It just doesn't make sense considering the cap this year will still technically be 70.2mil, it gives teams like the Sabres time to evaluate talent and then make a decision.

#2388 Derrico

Derrico

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,157 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:26 PM

The quick development of guys like Grigorenko, Armia and Brennan could really help us out. There was talk before this lockout that Armia and Grigorenko were likely to play out this season out of the NHL but would be a part of the 13/14 club. I'm not sure what the max rookie salary is but those could be decent players for us at a very affordable cap hit. We're going to need a few of those guys next season to stay under the cap and be competitive.

Edited by Derrico, 03 January 2013 - 01:27 PM.

#2389 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

• Members
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:31 PM

Notable UFA centers: Weiss, Zajac, Ribeiro, Getzlaf, and Elias are all currently scheduled to be UFA's in 2013.

this influences the sabres decision on Leino and a buyout as well.

#2390 spndnchz

spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,540 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:46 PM

Notable UFA centers: Weiss, Zajac, Ribeiro, Getzlaf, and Elias are all currently scheduled to be UFA's in 2013.

this influences the sabres decision on Leino and a buyout as well.

Forget Leino. Buyout the last year of Vanek's contract. Biggest help.

#2391 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

• Members
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:51 PM

Forget Leino. Buyout the last year of Vanek's contract. Biggest help.

you don't think we could trade him for something? He does score a crap ton of goals and teams looking to get to the floor could use his cap hit. His salary is slightly lower at 6.4mil

#2392 MattPie

MattPie

J-Bot, U-Bot, and We-Bot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,666 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:56 PM

you don't think we could trade him for something? He does score a crap ton of goals and teams looking to get to the floor could use his cap hit. His salary is slightly lower at 6.4mil

You'd at least be able to trade him for draft picks or something. I'm not saying that's all he'd return, but if you really wanted to dump him, does anyone really think many teams wouldn't trade their 1st or 2nd round picks?

#2393 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,085 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:08 PM

Looks like the Donald has left the building ...

http://www.cbc.ca/sp...eckenbaugh.html

Maybe he was in central PA for New Years and is not feeling well ...

#2394 Eleven

Eleven

Drunk Trailer Park Supervisor

• Members
  • 29,503 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:03 PM

Looks like the Donald has left the building ...

http://www.cbc.ca/sp...eckenbaugh.html

Maybe he was in central PA for New Years and is not feeling well ...

You know, the floor is the same in both proposals. That's the most important number to the "have not" teams. The next most important number is the ceiling, and they are only $5M apart--which translates to about 8%, Sounds like it wouldn't affect competition that much, if the league needs something to give on.

#2395 spndnchz

spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,540 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:28 PM

NHLPA filed suit today in court to throw out the NHL compliant from last month.

Re-vote to okay disclaimer starts at 6pm and goes for 48 hours.

#2396 Eleven

Eleven

Drunk Trailer Park Supervisor

• Members
  • 29,503 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:32 PM

NHLPA filed suit today in court to throw out the NHL compliant from last month.

Re-vote to okay disclaimer starts at 6pm and goes for 48 hours.

It's just a motion to dismiss; it's not a separate lawsuit.

Here is the brief in support of that motion, for those who would like to see it:

Attached Files

#2397 spndnchz

spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,540 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:44 PM

Here is the brief in support of that motion, for those who would like to see it:

Status conference on Monday morning.

#2398 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,085 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:55 PM

Thanks, 11.

What did I ask you about legal mumbo-jumbo and 25 words last time you posted something like this ... :P .

Interesting ... on the bottom of page 6 of 22 (note 1) it seems that these NHLPA lawyers do not represent a handful of players.

Could you comment on that note for me. That, certainly, should not take many words. And, remember, no mumbo-jumbo, please. Thanks.

=====

EDIT: New thought ...

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss ... sort of ...

http://www.cbc.ca/sp...ry-bettman.html

This guy will probably vote to settle right now based on what happened after the 1995 lockout was settled.

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS, 03 January 2013 - 05:56 PM.

#2399 K-9

K-9

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,667 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:10 PM

Thanks, 11.

What did I ask you about legal mumbo-jumbo and 25 words last time you posted something like this ... :P .

Interesting ... on the bottom of page 6 of 22 (note 1) it seems that these NHLPA lawyers do not represent a handful of players.

Could you comment on that note for me. That, certainly, should not take many words. And, remember, no mumbo-jumbo, please. Thanks.

You deign to insist that the good barrister should curb his verbosity? Why, that would contradict his very genetic code. Indeed, it may have negative health impacts. I would urge 11 to embellish with the full breadth of the entire English language (and Latin if needed for any legal terms) at his disposal.

#2400 wjag

wjag

Buffalo Sports -- Dysfunction Junction

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,837 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:54 PM

You deign to insist that the good barrister should curb his verbosity? Why, that would contradict his very genetic code. Indeed, it may have negative health impacts. I would urge 11 to embellish with the full breadth of the entire English language (and Latin if needed for any legal terms) at his disposal.

Remember they get paid by the second...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: CBA, NHL-NHLPA