2438 replies to this topic

#2321 spndnchz

spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,540 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:54 PM

Finance and lawyers from both sides met today. That's got to be a good sign right?

#2322 TrueBlueGED

TrueBlueGED

#fancystats

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,369 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:32 PM

Finance and lawyers from both sides met today. That's got to be a good sign right?

You'd think so, wouldn't you?

#2323 OverPowerYou

OverPowerYou

And Ottawa Must BE Destroyed...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:53 PM

Besides this message board, where is the best place to keep track of everything that goes on? NHL.com rarely provides anything

#2324 spndnchz

spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,540 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:10 PM

Besides this message board, where is the best place to keep track of everything that goes on? NHL.com rarely provides anything

That's a hard question. The BEST? Hmmmm...

#2325 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,085 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:26 PM

I think you have answered your own question. Why would you go anywhere else?

That's a hard question. The BEST? Hmmmm...

It's not nice to tease the animals ...

#2326 ThirtyEight

ThirtyEight

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,578 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:37 PM

TSN, loads of up to date news and articles explaining lockout terms etc.

#2327 spndnchz

spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,540 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:45 PM

The NHLPA are still talking 'internally'. There is still a chance they meet with the NHL tonight.

#2328 TheMatrix31

TheMatrix31

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,943 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:10 PM

https://twitter.com/...491317943967744

This would go a long way in mending fences with fans, IMO.

#2329 ThirtyEight

ThirtyEight

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,578 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:17 PM

https://twitter.com/...491317943967744

This would go a long way in mending fences with fans, IMO.

That would be a good gesture, very useful for poor students like me :)

#2330 Briere48

Briere48

Blood and Guts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,168 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:38 PM

That would be a good gesture, very useful for poor students like me :)

Very useful for everyone. Ive had it for about 6 seasons now (5 in a row), and would of paid for it this season too. But, with so many games in such short period of time, and who knows how sloppy some of the games will be, i really wondered if i would watch as much as i normally do? I would of taken the risk but having it free, i can use the money on something else and still enjoy hockey that i normally don't get on MSG or NBC Sports.

#2331 OverPowerYou

OverPowerYou

And Ottawa Must BE Destroyed...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:43 PM

Very useful for everyone. Ive had it for about 6 seasons now (5 in a row), and would of paid for it this season too. But, with so many games in such short period of time, and who knows how sloppy some of the games will be, i really wondered if i would watch as much as i normally do? I would of taken the risk but having it free, i can use the money on something else and still enjoy hockey that i normally don't get on MSG or NBC Sports.

Does center ice usually continue during the playoffs?

#2332 Briere48

Briere48

Blood and Guts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,168 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:44 PM

Does center ice usually continue during the playoffs?

Yeah, but most (if not all) games are on TV... between NBC, NBC Sports and CNBC.

#2333 skaught

skaught

Kaboom!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:38 AM

NHL GameCenter Live has been free for me for the entire lockout. It's still all just last years games though...I'm hoping they forget to charge me to renew.

#2334 spndnchz

spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,540 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:20 AM

An interesting note about NBC, the TV games start January 20 just a day after the NHL's supposed drop dead date of January 19.

TSN has a long right up of all the new CBA parts on its website this morning.

#2335 Taro T

Taro T

It leads you here despite your destination under the MW tonight.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,858 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:10 PM

An interesting note about NBC, the TV games start January 20 just a day after the NHL's supposed drop dead date of January 19.

TSN has a long right up of all the new CBA parts on its website this morning.

Thanks for the heads up.

The proposal seems pretty reasonable, though I am fairly opposed to any salary / cap retention for trades (#### you Burke) so I am inclined to not like that portion of it.

I also like that the owners are (at least according to the broad strokes of the TSN article) including players in more decision making on how the league runs. The ONLY way this doesn't happen again at the expiration of this CBA is for both sides to realize they're stuck w/ each other and the best way for each to get what they want is to grow the whole pie rather than dicker over who gets how much of a smaller pie. If they've been working as partners while the next CBA is in place, they'll be less likely to distrust and want to screw the other side when it comes time to renew this one.

#2336 spndnchz

spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,540 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:40 PM

For those who can't get the link from TSN:

The following is the highlights of the latest proposal from the NHL to the NHL Players' Association:
- Ten-Year Agreement (through 2021/22 season); Parties have mutual opt-out right after 8 years.
- 50-50 Revenue Split between Clubs and Players with current HRR Accounting.
- $300 million in "Make-Whole" payments (outside the system) to compensate Players for the reduced value of Player contracts in the early years of the new CBA.
- No contractual "roll backs" of Player Salaries.
- Clubs can operate with an effective Upper Limit of $70.2 million in 2012/13; must come into compliance with $60 million Upper Limit for the start of the 2013/14 season.
- Each Club will be entitled to execute up to one "Compliance Buy-Out" prior to the 2013/14 season pursuant to which payments made to the Player will not be charged against the team's Cap, but will be charged against the Players' Share.
- Establishment of a Defined Benefit Pension Plan that will provide maximum permissible benefits to Players upon retirement. The Plan will be funded with contributions out of Players' Share and $50 million of the "Make-Whole" payment amount of $300 million will be allocated and set aside to fund potential underfunding liabilities of the Plan at end of CBA.
- Rules for Entry Level System, Salary Arbitration and Group 3 Unrestricted Free Agency will remain unchanged.
- Maximum contract length of 6 years subject to a Club's ability to re-sign its own Player for a term of up to 7 years (provided the Player played his last full season with the re-signing Club). In addition, year-to-year Salary variability will be limited (up or down) to no more than 10% of the value of the first year of a multi-year SPC.
- Money paid (above a defined threshold) to Players on NHL SPCs in another professional league (e.g., the AHL or a European league) will be charged against the NHL team's Cap, but not against the Players' Share.
- "Cap Advantage Recapture" formula applicable to existing long-term contracts (in excess of 6 years) for years in which Player is retired or fails/refuses to perform under his NHL SPC.
- Ability for Clubs to retain/allocate Salary and Cap Charges in the context of Player Trades within specified parameters.
- More robust League-wide Revenue Sharing Program (increased pool from approximately $150 million to $200 million) with creation of Industry Growth Fund to improve the long-term revenue generating potential of the League and low-grossing Clubs. Formation of active Revenue Sharing Oversight Committee on which NHLPA will participate.
- New Player Discipline procedures and protocol incorporating Player appeal rights to a neutral third-party arbitrator for both on-ice and off-ice discipline.
- Flexibility-related adjustments to Payroll Range System, including (in addition to Salary/Cap Charge allocation in Player trades):
1. Lower Limit obligation without performance bonuses;
2. Elimination of Re-Entry Waivers;
3. Creation of Salary Cap exceptions for emergency roster situations/goaltender injuries;
4. Waiver exemptions for mid-season signings of Club's own European Players;
5. Availability of Performance Bonus Cushion in every year of the CBA; and
6. Creation of "interview period" for Unrestricted Free Agents.
- Various Player contract enhancements and protections, including:
1. Early activation of "No Move/No Trade" clauses in contract extensions;
2. Additional restrictions on Club "buy-out" rights of Player contracts;
3. Modified Waiver obligations for Clubs / enhanced Waiver opportunities for Players;
4. Standardization of reimbursements and benefits related to Player assignments (trades, loans, recalls, etc.);
5. Continued increases in League Minimum Salary and Per Diem;
6. Playoff Pool increased from $6.5 million to $13 million in Year 1; additional regular increases over the balance of the CBA term;
7. All minor league salary paid in USD;
8. Liberalized "Cap treatment" standards for Club initiatives benefitting Players, such as "parent-son" road trips; milestone awards/gifts; parental travel and lodging for attendance at EL Player games, Club provision of various types of "professional development"-type services for Players, etc.
- Player "Working Condition" improvements, including:
1. Ice-time restrictions and mandatory "days off" requirements during Training Camp;
2. Club practice schedule and "days off" requirements during the Regular Season;
3. Extended "Christmas Break" (i.e., December 24-26 "days off" for all purposes);
4. Mandatory facility standards for Visiting Teams relating to training/medical supplies, workout equipment and dressing room standards/supplies;
5. Implementation of "best practices" and continued League initiatives to ensure optimal ice conditions;
6. Tighter restrictions/regulation of Club off-season conditioning requirements and Club Conditioning Camp; and
7. Establishment of annual Orientation and Development Program for Rookies/First Year Players.
- New CBA Article devoted exclusively to Player Health and Safety measures and covering such matters as:
1. The establishment of a Joint NHL/NHLPA Health and Safety Committee with equal representation from the NHL and the NHLPA;
2. The establishment of "Standard of Care" and "Professional Duty" obligations owing from team health care professionals to Players;
3. The establishment of minimum requirements for "health management" staffing and resources;
4. The establishment of standards for the creation, updating and maintenance of Electronic Medical Records for Players;
5. Improvements to Second Medical Opinion procedures and protocol and Fitness to Play determinations; and
6. Implementation of additional steps and safeguards to monitor the use (and possible misuse) of prescription medication by Players.
7. Increased flexibility for Players for rehabilitation of injuries during the offseason.
- Elimination of NHLPA "Guarantee" of Escrow shortfall and increased NHLPA discretion to determine in-season Escrow Rates.
- Completion of expert third-party review of SABH Program and commitment to make recommended modifications and improvements, as appropriate.
- Improvements to existing Performance Enhancing Substances Program, including:
1. Expansion of Prohibited Substances List to include illegal stimulants;
2. The establishment of testing protocol for HGH;
3. Varied forms and times of testing throughout the year;
4. The establishment of protocol for "reasonable cause testing";
5. Incorporation of agreed-upon appeal procedures from "positive" test results; and
6. Commitment to work with the AHL and the PHPA to expand Program to cover AHL Players.
- Joint (NHL/NHLPA) Committees:
1. Formation of new "Owner-Player Relations Committee," with broad-based participation from Owners and Players intended to foster and establish better understanding and stronger working relationships.
2. Formation of new "Revenue Sharing Oversight Committee" to oversee the operation of the Revenue Sharing System.
3. Formation of new "Joint Health and Safety Committee" to make recommendations to the NHL and the NHLPA on Player Health and Safety matters.
4. Formation of new "NHL/NHLPA Equipment Working Group" to study, promulgate and enforce minimum standards for protective equipment utilized by NHL Players.
5. Refined and enhanced role for "Player/Club Competition Committee" (CBA Article 22) with greater consultation and interaction with the NHL General Managers' Committee.
6. The "NHL/NHLPA Joint Owner-Player Broadcasting/Marketing Committee" (CBA Article 32) will be reconstituted to consult and establish policy on League broadcasting and marketing matters, as well as other League business functions and initiatives.
7. The NHL/NHLPA International Committee (CBA Article 24) will be charged with jointly identifying, creating, exploiting and managing new international business opportunities involving NHL Players, in which the NHL and NHLPA will participate as 50-50 partners. The NHL/NHLPA International Committee shall also have an advisory role in planning and executing NHL events conducted outside of North America.
- Players provided access to NHL.com platform for their individual Player websites and social media.
- Implementation of a weighted Draft Lottery in which all non-Playoff teams compete for opportunity to choose first overall in the annual Draft.
- Exclusive negotiating rights window for European Draftees extended to one period covering four years, instead of two periods covering two years each.
- Modification to "Four-Recall Rule" to remove limitation on "number of transactions" following the Trade Deadline; replace with limitations on the total number of Recalls on roster at any one time after the Trade Deadline.
- Updated and improved Grievance Arbitration process and procedure.
- Enhanced access to Game Tickets for Visiting Team Players and NHLPA.

#2337 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Hand of the King

• Members
  • 33,600 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:45 PM

I don't see how that deal doesn't get done. It's good.

#2338 TrueBlueGED

TrueBlueGED

#fancystats

• Members
  • 24,369 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:47 PM

Rumor has it Fehr is going to ask for relocation and expansion fees to be shared. There's one way.

#2339 wjag

wjag

Buffalo Sports -- Dysfunction Junction

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,837 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:49 PM

Greed...

#2340 Derrico

Derrico

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,157 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:52 PM

Rumor has it Fehr is going to ask for relocation and expansion fees to be shared. There's one way.

What a F*$king idi*t

#2341 spndnchz

spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,540 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:59 PM

It's called bargaining.

i think Fehr/players want the contract length to be a year longer and for the owners to share the one time buyout money.

#2342 TrueBlueGED

TrueBlueGED

#fancystats

• Members
  • 24,369 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:14 PM

It's called bargaining.

i think Fehr/players want the contract length to be a year longer and for the owners to share the one time buyout money.

Apparently it's been debunked. Still, less than two weeks before drop dead isn't when you ask for a monumental new concession. It would be like the owners requesting players share their endorsement deals.

#2343 Taro T

Taro T

It leads you here despite your destination under the MW tonight.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,858 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:19 PM

It's called bargaining.

No, it's called negotiating. Fehr doesn't 'bargain.'

No doubt he doesn't accept the proposal as stated; I'm hoping that all he pushes for above what's been offered is what you suggest above or something similar. Those are probably items that there can still be some 'wiggle room' on the owner's part.

Both sides know that there's about 1 week left to get a deal done. If Fehr holds out for that 1 shekel too many, I expect the owners WILL walk away. I also don't expect that Fehr will sign off on any deal presented by the owners without asking for something additional. I hope his desire to get every last cent that he can for the players doesn't end up costing them an entire year's worth of paychecks.

#2344 spndnchz

spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,540 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:56 PM

So they met for two hours, NHLPA gave them the proposal. Now they are both talking internally...

#2345 TrueBlueGED

TrueBlueGED

#fancystats

• Members
  • 24,369 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:50 PM

Renaud Lavoie@RenLavoieRDS

Gary Bettman confirmed a deal has to be done by January 11th

At least it's almost over, one way or the other. League expected to respond to PA's counter-offer around noon tomorrow.

#2346 spndnchz

spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,540 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:12 PM

OMG! Bettman called the NHLPA's proposal "comprehensive"!

This thing is definitely over tmrw.

#2347 wonderbread

wonderbread

Caveat emptor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,036 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:15 PM

I'm so tired of being teased. Just sign the deal and get it going.

#2348 wjag

wjag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,837 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:37 PM

If the season must start by 20 Jan, I think we should set a tentative fantasy draft date.. It's either going to happen or it won't. We should start clearing schedules. For those of us in more than one league, there is going to be competition for draft dates if we only have a weekend or two to pick from...

#2349 spndnchz

spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,540 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:56 PM

If the season must start by 20 Jan, I think we should set a tentative fantasy draft date.. It's either going to happen or it won't. We should start clearing schedules. For those of us in more than one league, there is going to be competition for draft dates if we only have a weekend or two to pick from...

Bettman said they'd need to agree by the 11th to start by the 19th.

I'd pick the 12th.

#2350 Briere48

Briere48

Blood and Guts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,168 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:20 PM

They need to agree to a deal by the 5th, possibly extend it to 6th if talks going well, but after that it'll be over. Once CBA is signed, it will take about 5-7 days of lawyers signing and filing paperwork, then a very short training camp and opening of nhl on Jan 19th.

#2351 spndnchz

spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,540 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:15 PM

They need to agree to a deal by the 5th, possibly extend it to 6th if talks going well, but after that it'll be over. Once CBA is signed, it will take about 5-7 days of lawyers signing and filing paperwork, then a very short training camp and opening of nhl on Jan 19th.

Nah. The 11th is the final day. They signed one paper last time and signed the rest over the summer.

Tomorrow is the last day for the NHLPA to file a disclaimer of interest.

The NHL hasn't called back the NHLPA yet tonight, they need more time. They did have small group negotiations earlier today.

#2352 Briere48

Briere48

Blood and Guts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,168 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:13 PM

Nah. The 11th is the final day. They signed one paper last time and signed the rest over the summer.

Tomorrow is the last day for the NHLPA to file a disclaimer of interest.

The NHL hasn't called back the NHLPA yet tonight, they need more time. They did have small group negotiations earlier today.

From Dave Shoalts

NHL exec: Key is Jan 5. Need a deal by then to allow for 1 wk legal paperwork, 1 wk for camp, first puck drop Jan. 19. Otherwise it's over.

https://twitter.com/dshoalts

#2353 spndnchz

spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,540 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:37 PM

From Dave Shoalts

https://twitter.com/dshoalts

In his article from today he says they would need start 7-10 days from today to do papers have camp then start on Jan 19th.

http://m.theglobeand...?service=mobile

The 11th. Bettman even said it yesterday.

#2354 SwampD

SwampD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,303 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:48 PM

My guess is there will be a deal tomorrow.

#2355 spndnchz

spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,540 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:10 PM

My guess is there will be a deal tomorrow.

The larger group started meeting @ 9pm. NHLPA was waiting for the NHL this time around.

Edit: meeting is over after 30 minutes. The NHL gave what Fehr called a comprehensive counterproposal for the NHLPA to look over. Possible meeting tomorrow.

The NHL seems to be moving even more on some issues.

#2356 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

from the bottom to the top

• Members
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:20 PM

my impression of the entire process... in song... ps the cheese is the money these morons are splitting.

#2357 wjag

wjag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,837 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:48 AM

my impression of the entire process... in song... ps the cheese is the money these morons are splitting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM21A_TBF1A

I like the medical staff waiting at the bottom to pick up the bodies...

#2358 papazoid

papazoid

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:36 AM

they need to agree TODAY !!!!!

wednesday (tonight) at midnight is the deadline for the NHLPA to file a disclaimer of interest that would dissolve the union.....

#2359 wjag

wjag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,837 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:50 AM

wednesday (tonight) at midnight is the deadline for the NHLPA to file a disclaimer of interest that would dissolve the union.....

As much as I want to see a deal, I'm curious what case law and realities would come out of the decision to go through and dissolve the union.

#2360 spndnchz

spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,540 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:32 AM

All the NHLPA needs to do is take another vote and they'll have a new deadline, but yeah...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: CBA, NHL-NHLPA