856 replies to this topic

#841 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

Pensive Centurion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,001 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 01:32 PM

Bill Nye is a champion of the global warning crowd and in the news constantly despite not having an advanced science degree. Jon Stewart continues to run his mouth despite officially retiring from the Comedy Central's the daily show 2 years ago. Sorry that isn't a recent enough pop culture reference for you.

Which pizza place are you delivering for? no good 'za in Elmira that I am aware of.

And Nye has a new effin' show. Talk about a career kept alive through nostalgia.

Jon Stewart indeed needs to keep his mouth shut. He comes back out of nowhere lecturing tv hosts while remaining completely disconnected from the current political climate. Yeah, real easy to throw rocks when you don't have to steer the ship of a nightly show.

I'm not going to debate climate change with you. Just stop trying to conflate belief and concern in climate change with the liberal political echo chambers of TV shows. You're also at odds with an overwhelming majority of the scientific community.

(Despite my classification of Jon Stewart/John Oliver type shows as echo chambers, I think those guys have done a lot of great work, obvi)

#842 SwampD

SwampD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,839 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 02:00 PM

Global warming,... sorry, man made global warming may or may not be a thing, but I'll just say that after discarding my life into dumpster, I'm sure glad I moved 40 feet higher in elevation. Should gain me at least a couple of years.

Edited by SwampD, 14 September 2017 - 02:01 PM.

#843 MattPie

MattPie

J-Bot, U-Bot, and We-Bot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,447 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 02:09 PM

Global warming,... sorry, man made global warming may or may not be a thing, but I'll just say that after discarding my life into dumpster, I'm sure glad I moved 40 feet higher in elevation. Should gain me at least a couple of years.

I live at 590 ft above sea level on top of a hill. Never can be too safe.

#844 korab rules

korab rules

spelunker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,166 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 02:57 PM

I live at 590 ft above sea level on top of a hill. Never can be too safe.

Way to look on the bright side, guys!  Global warming is the democratization of waterfront property!

#845 Huckleberry

Huckleberry

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,227 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 03:04 PM

I live in Belgium, along with the Netherlands we are ###### lol.    When the nickname for both countries is the low lands you know global warming is a bad thing.

Edited by Huckleberry, 14 September 2017 - 03:04 PM.

#846 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,044 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 03:20 PM

Again, you don't understand it so it can't be real.

I don't understand how my doctor measures my cholesterol, but when he tells me its high, I listen to him and change my diet.

And doctors are routinely prescribe people drugs they don't need to be on because they're bought off by pharmaceutical companies. 

Sorta like how college professors are paid for by US grants to "conclude" there is global warming.............. or sorta like petroleum companies paying for studies to "conclude" that they are clean and have no impact on the environment. 

#847 korab rules

korab rules

spelunker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,166 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 03:20 PM

And Nye has a new effin' show. Talk about a career kept alive through nostalgia.

Jon Stewart indeed needs to keep his mouth shut. He comes back out of nowhere lecturing tv hosts while remaining completely disconnected from the current political climate. Yeah, real easy to throw rocks when you don't have to steer the ship of a nightly show.

I'm not going to debate climate change with you. Just stop trying to conflate belief and concern in climate change with the liberal political echo chambers of TV shows. You're also at odds with an overwhelming majority of the scientific community.

(Despite my classification of Jon Stewart/John Oliver type shows as echo chambers, I think those guys have done a lot of great work, obvi)

I recognize that there are free thinkers who have arrived at a belief in global warming, or man made global warming, of their own accord based on their own review of available evidence.  I also firmly believe that a majority of the country can't think their way out of a paper bag, and are perfectly content reading no further than the headlines of articles that show up in their facebook timeline, and get their "news" from the likes of Jon Stewart.  Even those moderately interested in politics and the environment are perpetually blasted by a lockstep media that won't tolerate freedom of thought.  The modern media has raised a generation of sycophants.  Google and facebook ensure contrary thoughts are never seen.  Confirmation bias takes care of the rest.

Many people have no idea why they believe in man made global warming - they just know that they do. 

#848 SwampD

SwampD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,839 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 03:32 PM

I recognize that there are free thinkers who have arrived at a belief in global warming, or man made global warming, of their own accord based on their own review of available evidence.  I also firmly believe that a majority of the country can't think their way out of a paper bag, and are perfectly content reading no further than the headlines of articles that show up in their facebook timeline, and get their "news" from the likes of Jon Stewart.  Even those moderately interested in politics and the environment are perpetually blasted by a lockstep media that won't tolerate freedom of thought.  The modern media has raised a generation of sycophants.  Google and facebook ensure contrary thoughts are never seen.  Confirmation bias takes care of the rest.

Many people have no idea why they believe in man made global warming - they just know that they do. 

Many people have no idea why they don't believe in man made global warming - they just know they don't. Actually they do, cuz their media told them so.

Ironic, no?

#849 rakish

rakish

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 03:34 PM

For those interested, this is the full paper that korab quotes

#850 SwampD

SwampD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,839 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 03:36 PM

For those interested, this is the full paper that korab quotes

So that's the one paper disputing MMGW. Nice work. You found it.

:devil:

#851 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,044 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 03:38 PM

Although I am one who believes that we should be doing everything in our power to keep this planet clean, I agree with this 100%. Instead of putting so much time and money into expounding global warming, how about we take that time and money and do something about cleaning up toxic third world cesspools. Global warming is debatable, however our rivers, streams and jungles becoming this ↓↓↓↓↓↓ is not. We can adapt to global warming, we can't adapt to destroying our natural resources. 

hqdefault.jpg

160629120534-plastic-tuvalu-super-169.jp

27D5FE3E00000578-3049457-Damaging_The_mo

#852 SwampD

SwampD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,839 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 03:40 PM

Isn't that Detroit?

#853 korab rules

korab rules

spelunker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,166 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 03:45 PM

So that's the one paper disputing MMGW. Nice work. You found it.

:devil:

Oh - it doesn't dispute it.  They start off by acknowledging all the problems in using ice bubbles, and then go on to use the data anyway.  It dates back to 1996 - before they learned not to put damaging information in their articles.  

Isn't that Detroit?

yes - in the center of the third picture you can see the thermometer stuck up its ass.

#854 ShadowLiger

ShadowLiger

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,844 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 04:30 PM

Man made climate change is real. We passed the tipping in the late 70's when we first noticed the change. Sure the earth temp varies... on a scale of centuries or millennium not decades. That's the key. A 1 degree change occurring over 30 years as opposed to 1,000 years.

With that I'm out. I will get banned if I participate any further.

#855 korab rules

korab rules

spelunker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,166 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 05:12 PM

Man made climate change is real. We passed the tipping in the late 70's when we first noticed the change. Sure the earth temp varies... on a scale of centuries or millennium not decades. That's the key. A 1 degree change occurring over 30 years as opposed to 1,000 years.

With that I'm out. I will get banned if I participate any further.

https://www.youtube....h?v=GojN2lPum0Y

#856 ShadowLiger

ShadowLiger

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,844 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 05:16 PM

No, I've read the papers and the counter papers and you won't convince me and I won't convince you.

#857 SwampD

SwampD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,839 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 06:34 PM

Thank God the greenies didn't let them cut down those trees. Otherwise there wouldn't be any owls left and you would've had to post some stupid cat video.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Off Topic