#1881 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

That Nostalgic Olfactory Blend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,138 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 04:44 PM

*fits = started (?)

One of my favourite nerd-outs, days gone by, was reading album liner notes from the 80s/90s and trying to figure out ”Enossification” was/is.

#1882 Iron Crotch

Iron Crotch

Take Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 05:28 PM

*fits = started (?)

One of my favourite nerd-outs, days gone by, was reading album liner notes from the 80s/90s and trying to figure out ”Enossification” was/is.

Searched around and he is considered an early influencer (along with Phillip Glass who I saw in Buffalo forever ago). This is a nice list: https://www.louderso...st-rock-records

Spiderland by Slint is fantastic. That's a band that was way ahead of its time.

#1883 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,138 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 08:00 AM

Searched around and he is considered an early influencer (along with Phillip Glass who I saw in Buffalo forever ago). This is a nice list: https://www.louderso...st-rock-records

Spiderland by Slint is fantastic. That's a band that was way ahead of its time.

Good stuff.

Sorry for my wonky syntax. Small phone, and I need readers (glasses).

IIRC, Eno produced several U2 albums — including Joshua Tree. (Think of that trademark soundwash before Where the Streets Have No Name).

#1884 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,721 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 05:18 PM

I don't understand the whole bro country movement. (please bare with me Kenny Chesney fans) It's just so formulaic and prescribed. Not one note sounds like a genuine piece of music derived from the soul. Just all predetermined notes designed to please as many ears as possible.

Edited by inkman, 17 May 2018 - 05:18 PM.

#1885 darksabre

darksabre

Positive Waves

• Members
  • 36,454 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 05:42 PM

I don't understand the whole bro country movement. (please bare with me Kenny Chesney fans) It's just so formulaic and prescribed. Not one note sounds like a genuine piece of music derived from the soul. Just all predetermined notes designed to please as many ears as possible.

It's all garbage.

#1886 Iron Crotch

Iron Crotch

Take Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 07:01 PM

The talent in Nashville is the song writers... and they're almost always not the performers these days. The same songs are marketed and sold by the song writing community to both pop and country musicians. If country, they'll change the key, maybe slow it down, add some twang, and voila... "country"

#1887 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • 21,721 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 07:50 PM

The talent in Nashville is the song writers... and they're almost always not the performers these days. The same songs are marketed and sold by the song writing community to both pop and country musicians. If country, they'll change the key, maybe slow it down, add some twang, and voila... "country"

To quote dark, it's all garbage. Yet so many people I know eat this ###### up. I honestly feel bad for them. They are being spoon fed crap and are ingesting it by the heap full.

#1888 Sabel79

Sabel79

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,497 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 08:11 PM

Just read an article in which Maynard James Keenan puts out a plea to the rest of Tool to finish the new album, already. Having waited twelve years, it had best be good...

#1889 Taro T

Taro T

It leads you here despite your destination under the MW tonight.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,240 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 08:23 PM

To heck w/ that junk. Finally broke BTO's "Not Fragile" out of wrap. Heavy blues is sooooooo much better. :P

#1890 Ogre

Ogre

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 08:26 PM

Just read an article in which Maynard James Keenan puts out a plea to the rest of Tool to finish the new album, already. Having waited twelve years, it had best be good...

I’ve read a similar article. I have no doubt it will be good. It’s not like it’s a group of drug addled hosers.
Lateralus and 10,000 Days were both epic IMO.
No doubts about their new endeavor.
Can’t ###### wait.

#1891 Sabel79

Sabel79

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,497 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 08:31 PM

I’ve read a similar article. I have no doubt it will be good. It’s not like it’s a group of drug addled hosers.
Lateralus and 10,000 Days were both epic IMO.
No doubts about their new endeavor.
Can’t ###### wait.

Lateralus may have been the absolute pinnacle of human achievement. I'm not kidding.

#1892 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • 21,721 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 08:32 PM

Lateralus may have been the absolute pinnacle of human achievement. I'm not kidding.

Aren't you like an old dude?

#1893 Sabel79

Sabel79

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,497 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 08:36 PM

Aren't you like an old dude?

Depends upon one's definition of old, but for the record: Lateralus was released shortly after I graduated from college.

#1894 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • 21,721 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 08:56 PM

Depends upon one's definition of old, but for the record: Lateralus was released shortly after I graduated from college.

So about a decade younger than me. I'll take Mer de Noms for 1000 in the better than tool albums category Alex.

#1895 Sabel79

Sabel79

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,497 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 09:06 PM

So about a decade younger than me. I'll take Mer de Noms for 1000 in the better than tool albums category Alex.

I have grown to love Mer de Noms. But I saw APC open for Nine Inch Nails before the album came out, and left with the impression that they were pretty much fake Tool trying to convince us all that they are not fake Tool. Took me awhile to come around...

#1896 darksabre

darksabre

Positive Waves

• Members
  • 36,454 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 09:22 PM

To heck w/ that junk. Finally broke BTO's "Not Fragile" out of wrap. Heavy blues is sooooooo much better. :P

Hell yeah!
A thunderhead's just another cloud.

#1897 bunomatic

bunomatic

bunomatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,700 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 09:58 PM

Anyone like country ? Check out Sarah Shook and the Disarmers. More homegrown country as opposed to the new country.I'm not a country fan but I dig her style.

#1898 Sabel79

Sabel79

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,497 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:01 PM

The only "country" that anyone should ever listen to has been and is being made by Birdcloud. You're welcome.

#1899 Iron Crotch

Iron Crotch

Take Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:58 PM

Three youngish country musicians rent my house in Nashville. Here is one of them...

#1900 drnkirishone

drnkirishone

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,575 posts

Posted Today, 03:26 AM

so i just learned of a youtube channel called postmodernjukebox. lots of former american idol contestants have done vocals for them. only listened to a handful so far but kinda interesting.

Edited by drnkirishone, Today, 03:26 AM.

#1901 We've

We've

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,501 posts

Posted Today, 05:16 AM

so i just learned of a youtube channel called postmodernjukebox. lots of former american idol contestants have done vocals for them. only listened to a handful so far but kinda interesting.

I think I've posted Post Modern Jukebox vids in this thread a half dozen times.  Haley Reinhart is dreamy.  :wub: :wub: :wub:

#1902 Doctor of Philhousley

Doctor of Philhousley

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 129 posts

Posted Today, 06:36 AM

Anyone like country ? Check out Sarah Shook and the Disarmers. More homegrown country as opposed to the new country.I'm not a country fan but I dig her style.

Yup! I will add Lydia Loveless to the list.

#1903 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,138 posts

Posted Today, 08:43 AM

Speaking of proper country, and yeah it's fairly "roots" as well, this gal has made her way onto my radar in a big way:

#1904 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • 21,721 posts

Posted Today, 09:36 AM

I think I've posted Post Modern Jukebox vids in this thread a half dozen times. Haley Reinhart is dreamy. :wub: :wub: :wub:

I don't hate that version but Cornell has such a haunting gutteral voice. Hard to top in the Rock genre.

#1905 dudacek

dudacek

God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,386 posts

Posted Today, 10:11 AM

Cornell may have no peers as a rock vocalist. The clips in this where they isolate on his voice give me chills.

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=5q41M2LOwso

#1906 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,138 posts

Posted Today, 10:34 AM

^

As the video suggests, Robert Plant is a Cornell predecessor.

And while different, we can always put Mercury in the same rarified air.

#1907 jsb

jsb

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted Today, 11:17 AM

To quote dark, it's all garbage. Yet so many people I know eat this ###### up. I honestly feel bad for them. They are being spoon fed crap and are ingesting it by the heap full.

I'm a little late on this and I'm far from a country music person but Chris Stapleton, Zac Brown are pretty good and an album that's been out for awhile with Mark Knopfler and Emmylou Harris is worth a listen. Also Joe Ely was a good listen too a while back especially his live albums.

#1908 Taro T

Taro T

It leads you here despite your destination under the MW tonight.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,240 posts

Posted Today, 02:28 PM

I'm a little late on this and I'm far from a country music person but Chris Stapleton, Zac Brown are pretty good and an album that's been out for awhile with Mark Knopfler and Emmylou Harris is worth a listen. Also Joe Ely was a good listen too a while back especially his live albums.

The Knopfler/ Harris CD is "All the Roadrunning." They also put out a live version "Real Live Roadrunning."

Haven't listened to either in a very long time, but as I recall, they're pretty good. Might have to give them a re-listen. :thumbsup:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Off Topic