14678 replies to this topic

#14641 WildCard

WildCard

Gunner's Mate First Class: Philip A$$hole

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,804 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 01:54 PM

Spent a month on a real pain of a project. Finished it ahead of time than our other collaborators. Got an email today saying to stop working on it and it's essentially cancelled.

###### off

#14642 Drunkard

Drunkard

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 02:29 PM

I don't drink haha. 

All i've got is water, toast, rice, and chicken noodle soup in terms of bland things, and to get to the store means a 1.7 mile bike ride, so I'm staying right here. Nothing has happened since last night though, though I haven't eaten anything since dinner yesterday so we'll see how toast goes down. 

Thanks for all of your guys' moral support helping me to get through this :lol:

jsb, best wishes and good luck, and so sorry for what all of you down there have to deal with. 

Man, that seems like a waste. These are your prime drinking years when you can power through a hangover with little effort. My tolerance for booze hasn't really gone down any from my college days but my recovery time feels like it has doubled.

#14643 Randall Flagg

Randall Flagg

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,996 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 02:36 PM

Man, that seems like a waste. These are your prime drinking years when you can power through a hangover with little effort. My tolerance for booze hasn't really gone down any from my college days but my recovery time feels like it has doubled.

I honestly just don't like alcohol though - and I'm such an introvert that missing out on social things because of it doesn't phase me. I need that time to make fancy lists and charts anyway :P 

#14644 Buffalo Wings

Buffalo Wings

Not a Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 02:36 PM

I'm supposed to be on vacation.  Yet here I am, having to answer emails and jump on webex.  I get 10 paid days off each year.  Leave me the F alone while I try to enjoy them.  It's not my boss.  He respects it.  Customers don't damn care though.  They got the auto-email declaring I'm on vacation.  That doesn't stop them. 

The last two days I've had off, I got the same thing. My boss respects it (barring any emergencies), but others around here don't know or don't care that I'm off and keep calling. I mean...don't bother to listen to my voice mail greeting, consult the public calendar that I updated, or see my out of office response that clearly say I have the day off.

The previous boss I had made my lazy co-worker call me because said lazy co-worker did no research on a problem. I ripped into him, but he told me not to blame him because the boss told him to call me.  :huh:

Complaint: Had a system-wide outage yesterday that took down our email from midnight to 5:30pm. All day long it looked like a server problem until one of the server admins found our firewall vendor released a "critical" update to the firewalls that caused the problem. Our firewall guy (luckily not me) was beside himself and my group took a ton of heat.

#14645 WildCard

WildCard

• Members
  • 21,804 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 02:50 PM

And now our tester left early without finishing my project so that's going to miss cutoff for today too. Today just blows 

#14646 SwampD

SwampD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,831 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 03:00 PM

I'm the exact opposite. My hangovers are nothing compared to what they used to be. Although, that's probably more a function of not smoking anymore.

Just found out I have to work on Sunday 10th. I almost waited until tomorrow's thread to post that but figured it should go here.

#14647 Josie914

Josie914

Eh, I try

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,609 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 03:11 PM

Just got a gig with a quick turnaround... they need a ton of work by Tuesday. Wellp. Guess I'm working this weekend. Not the sort of job I can turn down, either.

This is why my commissions are so horribly behind. 

#14648 SwampD

SwampD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,831 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 03:13 PM

Just got a gig with a quick turnaround... they need a ton of work by Tuesday. Wellp. Guess I'm working this weekend. Not the sort of job I can turn down, either.

Please tell me you charged double for the holiday.

#14649 Drunkard

Drunkard

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 03:14 PM

I'm the exact opposite. My hangovers are nothing compared to what they used to be. Although, that's probably more a function of not smoking anymore.

Just found out I have to work on Sunday 10th. I almost waited until tomorrow's thread to post that but figured it should go here.

Smoking pot or cigarettes? I've dabble with the reefer on and off over the years through my teens to the present. I've noticed that when I mix the two (beer and weed) that I get extra inebriated but my hangovers are pretty much tied directly to how much I drink regardless of the amount I smoke.

#14650 SwampD

SwampD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,831 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 03:18 PM

Smoking pot or cigarettes? I've dabble with the reefer on and off over the years through my teens to the present. I've noticed that when I mix the two (beer and weed) that I get extra inebriated but my hangovers are pretty much tied directly to how much I drink regardless of the amount I smoke.

C'mon. Cigarettes, of course.

#14651 Drunkard

Drunkard

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 03:34 PM

C'mon. Cigarettes, of course.

My bad, man. It wasn't obvious to me. I can't really compare on cigarettes either though because I've been smoking for 20 years now including my younger drinking days and my current drinking days. I've cut back a lot on my smoking (from a high of around 2 packs per day to just under half a pack a day on average now) but the minute I crack a beer I go back to smoking cigarettes at a fairly steady clip. They just go so damn well together.

If/when I eventually quit smoking though I hope that it lessens my hangovers as well. That could provide the extra motivation to give up the coffin nails for good.

Edited by Drunkard, 31 August 2017 - 03:34 PM.

#14652 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Hand of the King

• Members
  • 32,420 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 03:36 PM

What swamp said. You better be charging them a premium. I wanted time for us this weekend. 

#14653 WildCard

WildCard

• Members
  • 21,804 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 03:39 PM

I can directly tie the severity of my hangovers to the amount of cigarettes I have. I can also directly tie my level of drunk with my need of said cigarettes 

#14654 SwampD

SwampD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,831 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 04:01 PM

My bad, man. It wasn't obvious to me. I can't really compare on cigarettes either though because I've been smoking for 20 years now including my younger drinking days and my current drinking days. I've cut back a lot on my smoking (from a high of around 2 packs per day to just under half a pack a day on average now) but the minute I crack a beer I go back to smoking cigarettes at a fairly steady clip. They just go so damn well together.

If/when I eventually quit smoking though I hope that it lessens my hangovers as well. That could provide the extra motivation to give up the coffin nails for good.

No worries. I was just a little taken aback that anyone would think I would ever quit that.

I can directly tie the severity of my hangovers to the amount of cigarettes I have. I can also directly tie my level of drunk with my need of said cigarettes 

Absolutely. Luckily it's been long enough to where that need is completely gone, and I can't even believe I ever used to smoke.

#14655 iTInSn

iTInSn

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 04:06 PM

I've been working with this dip ###### foreman since Xmas. I say working with not for because I'm telling HIM the moves we need to make everyday. I only need him to order and replace the consumables we need and he even ###### that up. I spent the last hour of my day trying to track him down for some $2 replacement lenses for a weld hood. When I finally track him down I learn he hasn't even called to order more. "Im waiting for more things to add to the list" he says. WTF?! I'm really fuming by now. "Why do you get so angry?" he asks. HA! Mother ###### hasn't even come close to seeing iT angry. He is labeling frustration as anger apparently. Let me help you out, man. If iT is ranting and raving then iT's only frustrated. If iT's punching himself in the the face then iT's angry. Very angry. Does that help with understanding?
Why would someone punch themself in the face you may ask? I'm pretty sure I'll get arrested if I punch you in the face. I can do whatever I want with mine!
Long story short he cuts corners with quality and safety. We had a good man fired last week due to following the dip chit's orders. I can guarantee Mr. Dip ###### that won't happen to me. I pulled the apprentice away from Dum Dum's orders to be my fire watch. He was my fire watch all morning until Scrambled Brains pulled him away for some minor chore. When the kid said "but Dum Dum has me doing this.." I say "###### Dum Dum. I have some important work for you to do, kid." For the love of life! We are in a freaking chemical plant! Plant rules demand a dedicated fire watch at all times! Both the apprentice and me would be fired on spot for putting the place in that sort of danger. If Dum Dum gets anyone else fired I'm going to....Kick. His. Ass!

#14656 TheDominator

TheDominator

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 04:09 PM

Last day of the month, had 2 verbal commitments on deals that were supposed to be submitted today. One went silent, the other ended up signing a deal with some cheap competitor. I need beer. Or maybe liquor would be more appropriate.

#14657 shrader

shrader

Enduring tortures most of which rhyme

• Members
  • 20,001 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 04:15 PM

Pretty fire-able offense around here. Are they a senior member?

Not when you have trusted employee status.  The higher ups say we don't need to switch it back.  I'm going to have to document every reason why the thing sucks.  That's about the only way that I could maybe get this fixed.  Every day we find even more reasons why it doesn't work.

#14658 iTInSn

iTInSn

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 04:17 PM

No worries. I was just a little taken aback that anyone would think I would ever quit that.

Absolutely. Luckily it's been long enough to where that need is completely gone, and I can't even believe I ever used to smoke.

I quit cigarettes 15+ yrs ago. I needed to quit alcohol as well for a good 2 yrs because I went right back to them if I had even one drink. I'm back to being a pro drinker though. I get falling down drunk and never have a hangover. It drives my wife nuts that I'm crashing into everything in the house but am still up at 6 am doing chores. If you do it everyday it's not really partying though. It's more of a lifestyle. ;)

#14659 biodork

biodork

I love lamp.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,841 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 09:40 PM

A work complaint as old as time; people who don't actually have to do the job mandating a particular task be done, in spite of several conversations making clear the issues with said task and the multitude of reasons why it's actually a terrible idea.  "Make it work."   :censored:

Speaking of work; I'm still f*cking here.  Again.  BLARGH.

#14660 Buffalo Wings

Buffalo Wings

Not a Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:30 AM

I originally had yesterday off to play in a golf tournament, then get some various odd tasks done that need to get done. Then we get an emergency request Tuesday afternoon to work on a high-profile project initiated by the CEO, which needed to be done as soon as humanly possible.

So, what do I do? I volunteer to cancel my day off, withdraw from the tournament, and show up to work. I completed everything I needed to do with about 3 hours to spare.

Then I find out it really just needed to be done by the end of the week. :censored:

That said, it has to do with relief for Harvey victims in Texas, so I'm not too upset.

Edited by Buffalo Wings, 07 September 2017 - 11:31 AM.

#14661 ShadowLiger

ShadowLiger

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 12:44 PM

So you didn't create the template before week 1 and then decided to create it after week 1 and then tell me you thought I was going to cover the template... I did, but I covered the generic template in week 1 because you were too ###### lazy to do your job ahead of time. Now you are bitching to me I won't set aside time to go over the template again but I already did. You changed it after I covered it! eat a bag of nails

Edited by ShadowLiger, 07 September 2017 - 01:57 PM.

#14662 pi2000

pi2000

The Church of Mouls... er Matthews

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,813 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 12:56 PM

tennis elbow won't go away

#14663 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,752 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 01:56 PM

Did you try stop playing tennis, at least for a while?

:P

#14664 Josie914

Josie914

Eh, I try

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,609 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 02:33 PM

Had that last year. Tweaked it during something inane and it really effed up my aerial stuff. 

Stretches. Do stretches. Not too much, but keep it limber. Takes a lot of time, unfortunately. 

My complaint is the hurricane. More and more of the meteorological models are showing it plowing the east side of Florida. Currently, that beast is bigger than the entire state, so everyone's ostensibly in its path.

My client/friend/boss/reason I can pay my bills is a cop in North Miami. He said he's as ready as he'll ever be, but between him and my family in St Pete/Tampa and friends in Sarasota... I'm real worried. I have friends burning in the northwest and Cali, friends who lost everything in Houston, and now friends prepping for a beast of a hurricane. 

Bluh. 

#14665 Huckleberry

Huckleberry

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 02:38 PM

I quit cigarettes 15+ yrs ago. I needed to quit alcohol as well for a good 2 yrs because I went right back to them if I had even one drink. I'm back to being a pro drinker though. I get falling down drunk and never have a hangover. It drives my wife nuts that I'm crashing into everything in the house but am still up at 6 am doing chores. If you do it everyday it's not really partying though. It's more of a lifestyle. ;)

Hah same, I just drink a bunch of water before I sleep, never get hung over.   Also never fall down though, would have to drink 30 + beers for that :P

#14666 shrader

shrader

Enduring tortures most of which rhyme

• Members
  • 20,001 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 02:52 PM

I've always heard it could make you go blind.  They never said anything about tennis elbow.

#14667 pi2000

pi2000

The Church of Mouls... er Matthews

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,813 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 03:21 PM

it's from golfing too much, and i'm addicted to it, so i'm trying to dial back, but life is too short haha

i'll try stretching and whatnot, it's not completely debilitating, really only notice it on my back swing when golfing, but it's been almost a month now and only slight improvement.

#14668 iTInSn

iTInSn

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 04:36 PM

Had it a few times. Last time it lingered for 12 months. They have a specific brace for tennis elbow. It deflects the stresses in the tendon to a different spot so it can heal. It's over the counter so many retailers have them. I'd try one at least while your golfing. As Josie says, mild stretching will help.

Hah same, I just drink a bunch of water before I sleep, never get hung over. Also never fall down though, would have to drink 30 + beers for that :P

You need to drink some real Kentucky moonshine. My brother does wind farm maintenance and travels all over. He brings me a jar now and then. You will not only fall down, you will forget your own name.

Edited by iTInSn, 07 September 2017 - 04:33 PM.

#14669 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Hand of the King

• Members
  • 32,420 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 08:19 AM

The Equifax data breach. What a bunch of idiots over there. Now I have to spend a bunch of my free time trying to learn about the ramifications and understand the ways in which I can monitor my credit and ensure my identity isn't being stolen and abused.  :censored:  :wallbash:  :doh:

#14670 SwampD

SwampD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,831 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 09:39 AM

The Equifax data breach. What a bunch of idiots over there. Now I have to spend a bunch of my free time trying to learn about the ramifications and understand the ways in which I can monitor my credit and ensure my identity isn't being stolen and abused.  :censored:  :wallbash:  :doh:

Me too. And those ###### knew for a while and sold their shares before they let it out. Hope they go to jail,... but we know they won't.

Every time I hear some whiny jagoff complaining about lifting regulations on the banking industry, I look at their record profits juxtaposed to my 401k, which after 25 years of putting in 10% of my salary into is just about worth the actual money that I've put into it, and they can all go screw. You too, Jamie Dimon. Douche.

#14671 We've

We've

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,117 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 09:43 AM

Me too. And those ###### knew for a while and sold their shares before they let it out. Hope they go to jail,... but we know they won't.

Every time I hear some whiny jagoff complaining about lifting regulations on the banking industry, I look at their record profits juxtaposed to my 401k, which after 25 years of putting in 10% of my salary into is just about worth the actual money that I've put into it, and they can all go screw. You too, Jamie Dimon. Douche.

Pretty much all of your retirement options are ponzi schemes that you are late in on.

My complaint today.... jet lag. 6 timezones twice in a 4 day span. My body has no idea what time it is.

#14672 ShadowLiger

ShadowLiger

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 09:49 AM

Students are not computer smart at all.

#14673 WildCard

WildCard

• Members
  • 21,804 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 09:51 AM

People are not computer smart at all.

#14674 biodork

biodork

I love lamp.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,841 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 11:06 AM

We're in the process of trying to hire another 1-2 people in the lab.  There are only 2 of us now, and I'm easily the most senior of everyone (current and under consideration) in years of experience, but one of the people we're hoping to hire (assuming the in-person interview goes well) sounds like a rock star in the areas where I have the least experience overall... and she'll probably be making half what I do.  I'm normally pretty confident in my abilities when it comes to work, but this whole thing has me feeling very insecure.  I know they are happy with the job I've done so far, but I can't help but think if I had applied to the job we're currently trying to fill, I wouldn't have even gotten an interview because my background doesn't quite line up with what they're looking for.  I want / need to talk to my boss about things, but I'm trying to figure out how to approach it the right way so it doesn't come off poorly.  I really just want to know that I can justify my salary relative to others in the group, whether it's through increased responsibility or something extra I bring to the table that the others don't have.

#14675 ChileanSeaBass

ChileanSeaBass

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 11:16 AM

One of the sales managers I work with is a complete hot headed loon.  He should have been fired at least twice already, but my boss keeps stringing him along.  I could spend hours detailing how unprofessional and childish he is, but it's not worth my time to type it out.  He's pissed now because he's not included in "senior level" meetings about operations, web redesign, etc.  There are 9 people in our company.  He's a sales guy, who fashions himself as a boss and doesn't want to sell.  So the owner of the company (who I report to), told him that yesterday... "I don't want your ideas on the new website, I want you to sell."  After insulting him about how he only cares about money, he still wasn't fired.  Now he has "some closed minds deserve a closed fist" written on the whiteboard in his office.  Just fire his ass already so I can hire someone new to take over!  I'm so sick of his crap. 

#14676 Buffalo Wings

Buffalo Wings

Not a Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 02:47 PM

End of the year golf outing this Saturday...I'm on the committee to set up the teams, handle the $$, etc. every week, so we all met last night to set up the final one of the year. It's amazing how much we argue over the pettiest of things - who's in, who's out, how much to allocate to prizes, how the teams should be done, and so on.

And this is all for about 45 guys - 20 or so of which constantly whine and complain about their average, how things aren't done right, how things aren't fair, blah, blah, blah. I work 50-60 hours a week and Saturdays are supposed to be relaxing. With this group of chuckleheads, that's impossible.

#14677 ubkev

ubkev

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,623 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 03:20 PM

End of the year golf outing this Saturday...I'm on the committee to set up the teams, handle the $$, etc. every week, so we all met last night to set up the final one of the year. It's amazing how much we argue over the pettiest of things - who's in, who's out, how much to allocate to prizes, how the teams should be done, and so on.

And this is all for about 45 guys - 20 or so of which constantly whine and complain about their average, how things aren't done right, how things aren't fair, blah, blah, blah. I work 50-60 hours a week and Saturdays are supposed to be relaxing. With this group of chuckleheads, that's impossible.

This is precisely why I won't start a league. I could start a league tonight and have it full by tomorrow morning with 60 guys from work, whom I can tolerate/actually enjoy hanging out with. I won't do it because it always turns into a headache. A massive bitch fest.

"Frank, I'm not gonna tell ya again. Go in the clubhouse and enter your score into the USGA computer after every round if you want an accurate handicap."

#14678 Randall Flagg

Randall Flagg

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,996 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:42 PM

Celiac's, IBS, gallbladder, idk wtf this is but I cannot be a graduate student and have this flare up like it has been for 3days at a time. It is physically impossible to have even close to the level of focus that is required for me to have a chance in these classes. 

Going to the campus doctor tomorrow or Friday, hopefully they have better suggestions than anyone did in NYS. 

#14679 Huckleberry

Huckleberry

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts

Posted Today, 12:03 AM

Well here we are , after years of working in an industry where cheap and no service has been the thing ruining all.  

Some of our former clients and new ones are being booted out of surrounding airports for lack of space, Now we know we don't have the space or manpower any more.

Training new guys takes at least 6 months to a year, so we said no to any new airlines wanting to come to us.

Now desperation with those airlines is starting to kick in,  we say no, they say we'll pay more then when we left.  We say no again.

They go and talk to Brussels airport and say, that handler won't do us ( they only want us not the other two).   

Brussels airport comes to us, says hey your licence is up for renewal, this could help out a lot.   The airlines come back, hey name your price, only want to be with you.

So basically I can't see management saying no to  "hey name your price and we'll pay"  and not tripple our workload.

By end of next month I'm going to be so ###### at work ....

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Off Topic