The New Sabres Logo Leaked

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
225 replies to this topic

#1 SDS

SDS

• SS Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,175 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 06:06 PM

http://www.sabresrep...logo2006-07.jpg

There is a thread about this over at hfboards.com ....

#2 Bmwolf21

Bmwolf21

Habitual Line Stepper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,838 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 06:12 PM

What the hell is that?

#3 SDS

SDS

• SS Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,175 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 06:14 PM

View PostBmwolf21, on Jun 27 2006, 07:12 PM, said:

What the hell is that?

as mentioned on TSW, it's a Buffalo with a mullet...

#4 Bmwolf21

Bmwolf21

Habitual Line Stepper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,838 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 06:16 PM

:lol:

The more I look at it, its not that bad...I would prefer a design similar to the celsius design logos...I want something that looks modern yet classic - not like a cartoon-character expansion team jersey.

#5 LabattBlue

LabattBlue

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,511 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 06:25 PM

Nothing will beat these...

http://www.celsiusde...es/jerseys.html

I would prefer more of a yellow than the "puke gold", but they are a hundred times better than what SDS found and posted.

#6 hopeleslyobvious

hopeleslyobvious

Miller Time!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 06:30 PM

View PostSDS, on Jun 27 2006, 07:06 PM, said:

http://www.sabresrep...logo2006-07.jpg

There is a thread about this over at hfboards.com ....

I hope not.

#7 ThePebble19

ThePebble19

Hockey is back!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 06:56 PM

I dunno...that looks an awful lot like something I saw for the Buffalo Bills a couple of years back, when they changed their unis...

#8 Bmwolf21

Bmwolf21

Habitual Line Stepper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,838 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 06:59 PM

If these are the new logos (If, If, IF) then I guess the best things I can say are: at least they are blue/gold; they wisely kept the "B" shoulder patch; and it isn't the ugliest thing I've ever seen.

Actually I keep looking at it, and its kind of growing on me.  It wouldn't be a homerun, but I wouldn't say its the worst logo I've ever seen...

#9 Ogie Oglethorpe

Ogie Oglethorpe

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 213 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 07:07 PM

You can already buy this stuff in the stores!  It's listed with the team name St. Louis Rams!

http://www.sportslog...ogo.php?lo=1029

It's way too close to that.  Be more original... I'd rather keep what we have.

#10 frisky

frisky

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 08:05 PM

Other than the colors, I'd rather keep the one we got compared to that one.  The more I stare at it the less impressed I get. But, if it does turn out to be real I wouldn't be surprised cause it goes with my theory that people in those departments actually work in a bubble.

#11 SCSabresFan!

SCSabresFan!

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 08:29 PM

View PostLabattBlue, on Jun 27 2006, 07:25 PM, said:

Nothing will beat these...

http://www.celsiusde...es/jerseys.html

I would prefer more of a yellow than the "puke gold", but they are a hundred times better than what SDS found and posted.

I agree. Why can't they just pay the guys some money and use his designs? Is that soooo difficult? He has almost 10,000 signatures on his website in support.

C'mon Sabres. Do something with your website too.

#12 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,428 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 08:39 PM

Can anyone make out the writing at the bottom? There's a phone number there. I can't quite make it out.

Yep, this looks legit. If it's a hoax, it's a great one, and you wonder why anyone would bother to perpetrate such a hoax. The PMS color numbers are legit.

Ehhh, I can take it or leave it. I didn't expect it to be any good anyway. It sure won't stand the test of time, but that's the idea. Planned obsolescence in a logo. In six or seven years, when the team needs an infusion of cash, sucks ass or has a new owner, they can replace it.

The intriguing question is: if this is legit, why leak it? Does someone from the Bush administration work there? Do they have several designs and want to test the waters?

If so, if anyone is reading this from the firm... you got anything else?

Delayed reaction: Why is there no sabre in the primary mark? I don't get it. We're the Buffalo SABRES. As a designer, there are so many cool things you could do with a sabre. Nothing cooler, perhaps, than just crossing them with a charging buffalo above it. The original logo still looks great today and will look great forever.

Can anyone think of an NHL team whose logo does not refer to the team's nickname? Can you imagine the Maple Leafs without a maple leaf? The Lightning without a bolt? What's up with this? This would be the second logo in a row without a sabre.

Someone tell me it's a hoax.

#13 Rayzor32

Rayzor32

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 212 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 08:45 PM

The colors are excellent - much better than the St. Louis Rams colors -- definitely a nod to the original unis..BUT..that "Buffalo" looks more like some sort of a hairy dolphin...Very strange...but nice to see the "B" with the sabre alternate logo, giving some respect to the past 10 years as well...

If you read the fine print at the bottom, this is the company url that is listed:

http://logosondemand.net/

anyone have a user ID and password?

#14 SCSabresFan!

SCSabresFan!

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 08:46 PM

View PostPASabreFan, on Jun 27 2006, 09:39 PM, said:

Can anyone make out the writing at the bottom? There's a phone number there. I can't quite make it out.

Yep, this looks legit. If it's a hoax, it's a great one, and you wonder why anyone would bother to perpetrate such a hoax. The PMS color numbers are legit.

Ehhh, I can take it or leave it. I didn't expect it to be any good anyway. It sure won't stand the test of time, but that's the idea. Planned obsolescence in a logo. In six or seven years, when the team needs an infusion of cash, sucks ass or has a new owner, they can replace it.

The intriguing question is: if this is legit, why leak it? Does someone from the Bush administration work there? Do they have several designs and want to test the waters?

Delayed reaction: Why is there no sabre in the primary mark? I don't get it. We're the Buffalo SABRES. As a designer, there are so many cool things you could do with a sabre. Nothing cooler, perhaps, than just crossing them with a charging buffalo above it. The original logo still looks great today and will look great forever.

Can anyone think of an NHL team whose logo does not refer to the team's nickname? Can you imagine the Maple Leafs without a maple leaf? The Lightning without a bolt? What's up with this? This would be the second logo in a row without a sabre.

Someone tell me it's a hoax.

PA - Let me assure you it is probably real. I am in the design business and when Carolina was looking to land an NFL team in 1993 I had a good friend at a t-shirt factory. He had all four team logos and colors on hand, weeks before the teams were announced. Ironically, Charlotte found out live on TV that we were awarded a team because the local factory got a call 30-minutes before the formal announcement to start printing the shirts for the NFL. LOTS of money to be made in merchanising sales. Granted they need to sign contracts and such, but the logos always leak...

#15 Ogie Oglethorpe

Ogie Oglethorpe

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 213 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 09:12 PM

If you read the fine print at the bottom, this is the company url that is listed:

http://logosondemand.net/

anyone have a user ID and password?

It looks like they house all the logos of the NHL on that site.

I just keep hoping that this was a preliminary design that wasn't approved.  I think PA is right with the "Delayed Reaction".  With all of the creative talent out there and some of the previous designs (e.g. Celsius webpage), this is what they come up with?  Come on...

#16 Bmwolf21

Bmwolf21

Habitual Line Stepper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,838 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 09:15 PM

I'll bet DeCock had something to do with this logo...

#17 Done

Done

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 09:35 PM

That looks like a Buffalo mating.....really. All you need to do is put the opposition's logo underneath it, and the effect will be complete. The zoro mask adds an S+M feel to our new guy.

#18 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,428 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 10:34 PM

View PostBmwolf21, on Jun 27 2006, 10:15 PM, said:

I'll bet DeCock had something to do with this logo...

It DOES smell like DeCock, doesn't it?

#19 eball

eball

Unabashed Optimist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 05:29 AM

View PostBmwolf21, on Jun 27 2006, 07:12 PM, said:

What the hell is that?
A blindfolded, humpback Buffalo.  I really don't understand where teams go to get their creative ideas.  If it's real, I can only hope it grows on me over time.

#20 blugold43

blugold43

Still pissed about the Gare trade.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 06:29 AM

it sort of looks like an eyebrow.

#21 scottnc

scottnc

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 06:51 AM

You read my mind...

#22 Bmwolf21

Bmwolf21

Habitual Line Stepper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,838 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 06:51 AM

I truly hope this is a planned leak to see what the public reaction is.  Like you said - marketing guys - What else you got?  

I had to go and look it up on www.nhluniforms.com, but in my quick review of this year's unis, it would seem we are the only team to exclude the team name in our primary uniform logos.  The closest other teams are Calgary (flaming "C") and New Jersey, (the NJ with the devil's tail & horns); while two others - Tampa & Toronto - feature the full team name on their crest.  

Honestly, overall, I don't have a huge problem with it (it is kind of growing on me) but I would be much happier and excited about it if they just added the crossed Sabres under the buffalo.

#23 puma2577

puma2577

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 07:06 AM

not as great as the celsius designs, but as long as it's blue/gold and isn't a smoking goat, I'm happy.
Wearing maple leaf jerseys would be an upgrade to that freakin' goat.  these marketing guys definetely aren't geniuses...look at the last time...wow, great color scheme: black and white jerseys!

#24 cesna

cesna

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 07:08 AM

Ummmmm... The number (when transformed in Photoshop) looks to be 770-612-0476.  I called it and it really doesn't seem legit.  

Also, I can't make out the first web site but the second one seems to be  it's www.logosondemand.net. Which is legit but...

I just find it funny how this leaks right after the bogus logos Sabres logos on the truck came out the other day.

#25 fushetti

fushetti

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 07:16 AM

View PostSCSabresFan!, on Jun 27 2006, 09:29 PM, said:

I agree. Why can't they just pay the guys some money and use his designs? Is that soooo difficult? He has almost 10,000 signatures on his website in support.

C'mon Sabres. Do something with your website too.

That guy who made those logos is a close personal friend of mine...He's had contact with Quinn back in 2003 and the meeting went nowhere.    They aren't happening even though they are tight.

If thats the new logo... I'm gonna be pissed.  heheh.  Buffalo with a mullet is right

#26 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,428 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 07:46 AM

Others have referred to it as skunk-like, which is an apt description. The head is down and the back is arched, which is exactly how skunks slink around at night. And we seem to have a big ole striped tail, just like Pepé Le Pew. To the team's credit, the colors are very true to the original scheme. I have a PMS color chart and looked them up. You can't trust colors you see on your computer screen. But these are, indeed, original blue and gold colors.

#27 MiggityMJW

MiggityMJW

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 08:09 AM

I think it is horrible!!  Just go back to the original colors with the original logo and be done with it!!!

#28 ThePolishSabre

ThePolishSabre

Max. 61.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 08:14 AM

One thing is 100% sure, if they use those logo's... i'll be just using my old jerseys. No way i'm going to spend $$$ on that trash.

#29 SCSabresFan!

SCSabresFan!

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 08:19 AM

View Postfushetti, on Jun 28 2006, 08:16 AM, said:

That guy who made those logos is a close personal friend of mine...He's had contact with Quinn back in 2003 and the meeting went nowhere.    They aren't happening even though they are tight.

If thats the new logo... I'm gonna be pissed.  heheh.  Buffalo with a mullet is right

I hope he is pissed. Looks like he did a ton of work on those concept jersey and logo designs. My hats off to him, much better that the crap we've seen so far. And I think those designers were PAID to do that work.

UGH!

#30 Rico7

Rico7

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 08:48 AM

I am really hoping that uni is a fake. The logo on the crest is just awful.   :(

#31 gregkash

gregkash

4th line Ice, 1st line Heart.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 09:23 AM

that is one ugly peice of mama jama.

#32 apuszczalowski

apuszczalowski

Commander of the Armies of the North

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,758 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 09:36 AM

Face it, If you want them to go back to the old logo and color, Hop in your time machine and go back to the Aud for a game, There is a slim to none chance they will go back to it. Just be glad that they went back to Blue and Gold like everyone is crying about.

No team is going to go back when it comes to uniforms (except the islanders cause somehow the new ones were offensive to them) The uniforms are just another form of marketing and another way to get your cash and they will go with what the general public will go out and buy. Chances are either of the designs that have been shown will sell and sell well. I still don't see a problem with the ones they have now (and I really like the 3rd jersey, thats why I bought one) Everyone thats crying that they have to go back to the original have to get over it, it isn't going to happen, maybe you can petition them in 5 years to change again and we can have a revolving uniform system in the organisation too, every 5 years a  new design

#33 CallawaySabres

CallawaySabres

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 09:43 AM

That is total garbage!! Just GARBAGE!!!  If this is the real deal, I would like to know who comes up with this crap when they have a chance to really hit a homerun!!!!

#34 bills_fan_in_raleigh

bills_fan_in_raleigh

Live in Raleigh but Bleed Buffalo Sports an I hate the canes!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 09:45 AM

almost looks like a bandits logo.  I like the color return but not sure I like the looks of the thing but the snarling "goat" took a while to accept as well.  I dont care what it is as long as it isnt lame like a big hurricane symbol in the middle of the jersey

#35 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,428 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 10:00 AM

Raleigh... Logos like the Canes have are so simple and so elegant and so classic, they will never go out of style, unlike the overdesigned SabreSkunk. They are powerful and recognizable and instantly make you think of the team, like the CH in Montreal and the Maple Leaf in Toronto and the crossed sabres in Buffalo. The Sabres had a chance to do something truly special -- and they blew it. Hopefully, this leak was designed to gauge fan opinion, and with fan opinion running very strongly against it, they have other designs in place.

#36 Claude_Verret

Claude_Verret

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,121 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 10:03 AM

View Postbills_fan_in_raleigh, on Jun 28 2006, 10:45 AM, said:

almost looks like a bandits logo.  I like the color return but not sure I like the looks of the thing but the snarling "goat" took a while to accept as well.  I dont care what it is as long as it isnt lame like a big hurricane symbol in the middle of the jersey

I think the Canes jersey and the current Sabres jersey were neck and neck in the bottom five of the league.  If these designs are legit then we have definitely fallen below the Canes.  Just a putrid design.

#37 mrjsbu96

mrjsbu96

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 10:11 AM

Can't add much that has not already been said in this thread:

- Looks like a mullet on the Buffalo - it would be fitting that we would come up with that

- ok, i've giving up on my fight to see the old logo, but that is why i think the celsius design is sooo money.  it utilizes the old logo and colors, but it modernizes it, without looking like something from a house-league hockey team

- lastly, and if these are the new jerseys, we might be the first team in both the NFL and NHL to simultaneously have the least-liked unis at one time...

#38 Orange Seats

Orange Seats

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 10:30 AM

I think they were confused and instead of updating the Sabres logo, they updated the "BUFFALO - Talkin' Proud!" Logo.

http://www.buffalori...n3wif-thumb.jpg

Maybe when they take the ice they can play:

"Sabres got the spirit, TALKIN' PROUD, TALKIN' PROUD!"

And all the bleach-blond Donnas can disco in the seats.

Is there any other pro-sports city that has two teams with nearly the same logo?  If this is truly what we're getting stuck with, the Bills and Sabres have almost the same logo.

I'd rather stick with the angry goathead.  I will not spend $100.00 for a new jersey if thats the logo.

#39 jwnikita

jwnikita

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 10:35 AM

I tried the email address on that website and it is not a legit email address.
I cry foul.

#40 Orange Seats

Orange Seats

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 10:37 AM

Turning the current 3rd jersey into blue and gold would have been MUCH better.  I think everyone was expecting the return of the cirlce and crossed Sabres in one form or another.  This thing looks like they took the Capitals Eagle or the Coyotes coyote head and just jammed a buffalo into the same pattern.

If this is is legit - poor showing Sabres.  Change it if you can before it's too late.