Photo

What would you offer Thomas Vanek?

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

Poll: What would you offer Thomas Vanek?

How long?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

How much?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Saratoga Sabres Fan

Saratoga Sabres Fan

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 05:50 PM

33 years old, 17 goals, 31 assists, 48 points last season.

#2 Scottysabres

Scottysabres

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 05:55 PM

2 yrs 2.6
I would say 1 year, but at that price he's movable if necessary. The 2 yrs gives him and Pommers the chance to ride their last rides together, and to think, after the past 12 years, if it helps the team wouldn't that be fitting.

Maybe bots is just waiting on a Moulson deal so vanek can have 26 lol

#3 Eleven

Eleven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,521 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 06:05 PM

Now that Pouliot is in, well, nothing. 

I would have offered Vanek 1 year at 2M;  I suspect that teams did this and that's why he's still not signed.

#4 Saratoga Sabres Fan

Saratoga Sabres Fan

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 06:11 PM

Now that Pouliot is in, well, nothing.

I would have offered Vanek 1 year at 2M; I suspect that teams did this and that's why he's still not signed.

I'm not surprised by this opinion. My first thought upon hearing about the Pouliot signing today was how does it impact any potential for JB signing Vanek.

Having said that, if we get rid of Moulson somehow there is plenty of room for Vanek. ☺

#5 Drunkard

Drunkard

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,151 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 06:23 PM

2 years, 6 million total.

#6 Murray's Rats

Murray's Rats

Since Gilbert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 06:30 PM

1 year 1.8 in Detroit

#7 TrueBlueGED

TrueBlueGED

#fancystats

• Members
  • 23,972 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 06:52 PM

I went with 1 year $2.6M, but I'd probably go to $3M if I had to.

#8 Saratoga Sabres Fan

Saratoga Sabres Fan

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 06:59 PM

I'd offer him 3x3 but I think JB wants to keep the AHL guys hungry.

Edited by Saratoga Sabres Fan, 01 July 2017 - 06:59 PM.

#9 TheCerebral1

TheCerebral1

Lord and Master of Zero F***s Given

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 07:34 PM

950K.  Take it or leave it :)

#10 ubkev

ubkev

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,304 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 07:41 PM

Anything he wants

#11 Huckleberry

Huckleberry

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,083 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 09:58 PM

3x3  or 3x2

Edited by Huckleberry, 01 July 2017 - 09:58 PM.

#12 PromoTheRobot

PromoTheRobot

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,899 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 10:05 PM

I have to believe any possibility of Vanek coming to Buffalo evaporated, if there was even a chance in JBot's mind.

#13 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,779 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 10:59 PM

I have to believe any possibility of Vanek coming to Buffalo evaporated, if there was even a chance in JBot's mind.

I don't believe this for the same reasons you do, none.

#14 Tondas

Tondas

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 11:46 PM

I'd go only 1 year but would go to $3mil.  We need more scoring from the LW this season.  The youngsters better develop quickly because next year, all 3 of Kane, Pouliot and Vanek could be gone, leaving only Moulson.  Yikes.

#15 matter2003

matter2003

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 12:01 AM

Nothing

#16 dudacek

dudacek

...browsing the internet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,928 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 12:06 AM

3-1 odds and I'd encourage him to take the over.

#17 GoPuckYourself

GoPuckYourself

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 02:17 AM

I must be missing something with the Pouliot signing, is he now some kind of a goal scorer? Not ever in his career has he scored 20 goals, never in his career, the most points hes ever had was 36, how is his signing affecting us from signing an actual goal scorer in any way? He's more of a 3rd line guy, Maybe Girgensons plays LW on line 2?

#18 FuhrFury

FuhrFury

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 03:28 AM

I must be missing something with the Pouliot signing, is he now some kind of a goal scorer? Not ever in his career has he scored 20 goals, never in his career, the most points hes ever had was 36, how is his signing affecting us from signing an actual goal scorer in any way? He's more of a 3rd line guy, Maybe Girgensons plays LW on line 2?

I've been asking the same thing. Kane is the top scoring line LW, but Girgensons and Pouliot are bottom 6 forwards on a playoff-caliber team. O'Reilly needs to stay at center. Larsson isn't a top 6 forward. Bailey may one day become one, but definitely not this year.

That leaves us with Matt Moulson as the secondary goal scoring LW. Wonderful.

#19 Scottysabres

Scottysabres

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 05:37 AM

I've been asking the same thing. Kane is the top scoring line LW, but Girgensons and Pouliot are bottom 6 forwards on a playoff-caliber team. O'Reilly needs to stay at center. Larsson isn't a top 6 forward. Bailey may one day become one, but definitely not this year.

That leaves us with Matt Moulson as the secondary goal scoring LW. Wonderful.

Both of these posts are precisely why I believe another move is coming. I simply refuse to believe Bots is dumb enough to think that left side is acceptable. Because if he does, were in serious crapville still.

#20 tom webster

tom webster

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,219 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 06:55 AM

Both of these posts are precisely why I believe another move is coming. I simply refuse to believe Bots is dumb enough to think that left side is acceptable. Because if he does, were in serious crapville still.

1) the NHL today is all about Centers and defense
2) while some are obviously more comfortable on one side or other, wings are largely interchangeable
3) if you have to pick one position to be weak on, LW is a pretty good choice.
4) I still wouldn't be surprised to see them add someone, preferably with speed

#21 Randall Flagg

Randall Flagg

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,342 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 08:53 AM

The LW depth of an ECF team this year was
Hoffman

Dzingel

Pyatt

Puempel

Stalberg

Burrows

The LW depth of Pittsburgh two years ago was

Kunitz

Perron 

Plotnikov

Wilson

Sestito

Sheary (He had not broken out until the playoffs and nobody here would have traded a 5th rounder for him)

Perron was traded for Hagelin halfway through the year. 

ROR might end up on LW. Zemgus probably will. 

Every single team has a weakness at one position. We just shifted ours from D to LW. That is awesome, because winger is the least important position in hockey.

Our RW is fine.

Our roster is hardly unacceptable going into the season, given last year's. 

Pouliot was given a 1 year deal worth 1.25 million. Who's calling him a goal scorer? This is a DEPTH signing. I understand this concept might be confusing to us because our last GM refused to make them, but this means that we get a real NHLer to play in place of DLo and Grant and Catenacci and the other crap we saw the past two years. And that's a good thing. And it's worth 1.25 million. 

Y'all need to relax. 

Edited by Randall Flagg, 02 July 2017 - 08:54 AM.

#22 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 08:58 AM

Hey Randall,

I don't think it is realistic to compare the Penguins LW depth to the Sabres.  When a team has 2 all world centres and ... there is no need to compare the teams LW depth.

:wub:

#23 Randall Flagg

Randall Flagg

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,342 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 09:11 AM

Hey Randall,

I don't think it is realistic to compare the Penguins LW depth to the Sabres. When a team has 2 all world centres and ... there is no need to compare the teams LW depth.

:wub:

Right, but cup winners can have a bad wing side, as can ECF teams. They can't have the defense we had last year, so we shifted our biggest weakness from the most important position to the least important one, with our strength being down the middle. So the upset, especially when we're just gunning for a playoff spot right now and not Pittsburgh status, is kinda strange. This offseason has been as good as anyone could have realistically hoped for.

Cogliano 

Ritchie

Garbutt

Cramarossa

This was a WCF team. I might trade Kane-Zemgus for Cogliano-Ritchie, and might not. The other two are totally meh as well. 

Ward

Donskoi

Brown

Goodrow

the RW on a cup finalist in 15-16.

If the rest of our team develops as hoped, we get a breakthrough or two on defense, we can be a contender without improving our LW in the coming years (and keeping Kane). Nylander is in the wings. 

I obviously would like to improve the left side in a vacuum but I'm thrilled with where we are considering where we were in early April. 

#24 GASabresFan

GASabresFan

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 11:18 AM

I'd offer Vanek 2yr 6 mil, a chance to play with Eichel and an off track betting slip.

#25 Tondas

Tondas

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 11:27 AM

I'd offer Vanek 2yr 6 mil, a chance to play with Eichel and an off track betting slip.

Good one!  Maybe Vanek is waiting for the VGK to make an offer. "Just pay my Black Jack markers and I'm in."

#26 Saratoga Sabres Fan

Saratoga Sabres Fan

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 11:54 AM

In fairness, where I come from everyone bets on horses! Sorry couldn't resist.

#27 GoPuckYourself

GoPuckYourself

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 12:01 PM

The LW depth of an ECF team this year was
Hoffman

Dzingel

Pyatt

Puempel

Stalberg

Burrows

The LW depth of Pittsburgh two years ago was

Kunitz

Perron 

Plotnikov

Wilson

Sestito

Sheary (He had not broken out until the playoffs and nobody here would have traded a 5th rounder for him)

Perron was traded for Hagelin halfway through the year. 

ROR might end up on LW. Zemgus probably will. 

Every single team has a weakness at one position. We just shifted ours from D to LW. That is awesome, because winger is the least important position in hockey.

Our RW is fine.

Our roster is hardly unacceptable going into the season, given last year's. 

Pouliot was given a 1 year deal worth 1.25 million. Who's calling him a goal scorer? This is a DEPTH signing. I understand this concept might be confusing to us because our last GM refused to make them, but this means that we get a real NHLer to play in place of DLo and Grant and Catenacci and the other crap we saw the past two years. And that's a good thing. And it's worth 1.25 million. 

Y'all need to relax. 

Comparing us to the Pens is like comparing the Bills to the Pats, it's laughable.You're also stating Pouliot is a depth signing like you have 1st hand knowledge that this is true, if he's a depth signing who's our 2nd line LW? Girgensons? He had 16 pts last season, Moulson is older and slower, how does he fit our up tempo game anymore? The only real hope is that Nylander is ready to make the jump.

#28 tom webster

tom webster

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,219 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 01:18 PM

Comparing us to the Pens is like comparing the Bills to the Pats, it's laughable.You're also stating Pouliot is a depth signing like you have 1st hand knowledge that this is true, if he's a depth signing who's our 2nd line LW? Girgensons? He had 16 pts last season, Moulson is older and slower, how does he fit our up tempo game anymore? The only real hope is that Nylander is ready to make the jump.

What's laughable is not understanding the changing landscape of the sports you are watching. Teams are built around a core of 4 forwards, 2 defenseman with the rest being a combination of value contract veterans, up and coming prospects with a hope for a surprise or 2.
You need the 5th through 9th forwards to contribute 10-15 goals each and you are set. There are 31 teams in the NHL and less then 100 forwards scored 15 goals last year. Do the math.

#29 GASabresFan

GASabresFan

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 03:21 PM

What's laughable is not understanding the changing landscape of the sports you are watching. Teams are built around a core of 4 forwards, 2 defenseman with the rest being a combination of value contract veterans, up and coming prospects with a hope for a surprise or 2.
You need the 5th through 9th forwards to contribute 10-15 goals each and you are set. There are 31 teams in the NHL and less then 100 forwards scored 15 goals last year. Do the math.

I agree with your point in general, but there were 174 guys that scored 15 or more last year. Still, that not even 2 lines worth per team.

The Sabres actually have eight guys who could score 15 or more. Kane and Eichel have the talent to get to 30. Reinhart, ROR and Okposo should reach 20. Pouliot, Pommers and even Moulson could reach 15. We came close last year with 6 plus Moulson had 14 and Foligno 13.

#30 tom webster

tom webster

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,219 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 03:30 PM

I agree with your point in general, but there were 174 guys that scored 15 or more last year. Still, that not even 2 lines worth per team.

The Sabres actually have eight guys who could score 15 or more. Kane and Eichel have the talent to get to 30. Reinhart, ROR and Okposo should reach 20. Pouliot, Pommers and even Moulson could reach 15. We came close last year with 6 plus Moulson had 14 and Foligno 13.

My numbers may be off(sitting pool side, having some beers and pretending to listen to my wife) but I think you reinforced my point. Add in the expected significant increase in defenseman production and I think they will be fine.

#31 matter2003

matter2003

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 03:43 PM

No but he is a speed player that can cause turnovers by forechecking with speed and that creates chances.

#32 Formerly Allan in MD

Formerly Allan in MD

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 233 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 04:00 PM

You first determine what he wants.

#33 Marvelo

Marvelo

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 04:06 PM

#34 TrueBlueGED

TrueBlueGED

#fancystats

• Members
  • 23,972 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 04:10 PM

Not only this, but I think we still tend to over-value non-elite wingers in general. They just don't move the needle much. I keep going back to us adding a no-BS 1st line winger in Okposo, and the team's on ice results being virtually indistinguishable.

#35 Randall Flagg

Randall Flagg

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,342 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 07:17 PM

Is a 1 year, 1.5 million contract something you give to a player you deem as important to your franchise going forward? It sure as hell looks like a depth signing.

Edited by Randall Flagg, 02 July 2017 - 07:20 PM.

#36 Potato

Potato

Take Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,739 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 07:48 PM

Nothing. He doesn't play defense.

#37 iTInSn

iTInSn

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 08:13 PM

I am personally willing to offer my Seneca Niagra players card. It has $9 on it.

#38 Let's Go B-Lo

Let's Go B-Lo

Mucker. Grinder.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 09:42 PM

I am personally willing to offer my Seneca Niagra players card. It has $9 on it.

Tommy likes action.  I'll throw in a couple scratch off tickets for him to sign somewhere else.

#39 Saratoga Sabres Fan

Saratoga Sabres Fan

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 09:54 PM

Tommy likes action. I'll throw in a couple scratch off tickets for him to sign somewhere else.

Why would you be opposed to signing him short term? I'd much rather have him than say Moulson.

#40 Let's Go B-Lo

Let's Go B-Lo

Mucker. Grinder.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 10:11 PM

Why would you be opposed to signing him short term? I'd much rather have him than say Moulson.

I don't want someone who has gotten himself into at least 1M of gambling debt (and as much as 10M according to the bookie) and signed over entire paychecks to bookies to attempt to pacify said bookie and keep his name out of the paper.  No evidence that he bet on hockey.  Of course, you don't need to bet on hockey to owe a bookie a couple favors.  He says he stopped gambling.  Game #82, Sabres need to win the shootout to make the playoffs.  You trust him to score?  I'm betting on him to miss the net entirely.