Photo

How much should Kane' s extension be?

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

Poll: How much should Kane' s extension be?

How long should the exension be for?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

How much $ should the extension offer be?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Saratoga Sabres Fan

Saratoga Sabres Fan

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 04:06 PM

I'd offer him 7 years at 7.5 per. Too much? Too long? Apologies if a similar thread already exists.

Edited by Saratoga Sabres Fan, 01 July 2017 - 04:44 PM.

#2 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

Hot Daniel is Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,784 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 04:16 PM

Tooooo much tooooooo long. Do you really think he's as valuable as O'Reilly?

Also, I still doubt he wants to sign an extension with us.

#3 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Playground King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,933 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 04:19 PM

No

#4 Saratoga Sabres Fan

Saratoga Sabres Fan

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 04:20 PM

Tooooo much tooooooo long. Do you really think he's as valuable as O'Reilly?

Also, I still doubt he wants to sign an extension with us.

I'd rather do a 6x6 deal but to be honest this is what I think he'll command in free agency. I don't think he'll sign for much less than this.

#5 TrueBlueGED

TrueBlueGED

#fancystats

• Members
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 04:28 PM

I'd offer him 7 years at 7.5 per. Too much? Too long? Apologies if a similar thread already exists.

I'll burn Botterill in effigy if he hands Kane a contract remotely like this. If this is what the market dictates is necessary (I don't think it is), you let him walk. Simple as that. He's a nice piece, but he's not a "retain at all costs" piece.

#6 Doohickie

Doohickie

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,619 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 04:32 PM

I'll burn Botterill in effigy if he hands Kane a contract remotely like this. If this is what the market dictates is necessary (I don't think it is), you let him walk trade him at the deadline. Simple as that. He's a nice piece, but he's not a "retain at all costs" piece.

fify

#7 Saratoga Sabres Fan

Saratoga Sabres Fan

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 04:33 PM

Let me pose the question like this; if you were to extend him, how much and what term?

#8 TrueBlueGED

TrueBlueGED

#fancystats

• Members
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 04:36 PM

Let me pose the question like this; if you were to extend him, how much and what term?

$5.5Mx5 is my max. I'd be shocked if that's enough.

I think this thread needs a poll for dollars and years people are willing to go.

#9 Saratoga Sabres Fan

Saratoga Sabres Fan

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 04:41 PM

I think this thread needs a poll for dollars and years people are willing to go.

Good idea, I'm trying to figure out how to put the poll in..

#10 Tondas

Tondas

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 04:46 PM

OK, now you're messing with me.  Talking about Kane's extension and now trying to figure out how to put the pole in.

Edited by Tondas, 01 July 2017 - 04:46 PM.

#11 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,779 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 05:01 PM

Aren't we all...

#12 Saratoga Sabres Fan

Saratoga Sabres Fan

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 05:02 PM

Aren't we all...

Lol just saw what I did there haha.

#13 BRAWNDO

BRAWNDO

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,439 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 05:14 PM

Looks like he will play out the year

With loss of Marcus Foligno, Botterill talked about how EKane is key physical presence. Seems like they may go forward with him. #Sabres

Aren't we all...

First step don't get married.

#14 Radar

Radar

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 05:16 PM

I would go four years and 5.5 per. No, he won't take it

Edited by Radar, 01 July 2017 - 05:17 PM.

#15 JohnnyK

JohnnyK

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 05:25 PM

go 3-4 years at more $$$

no way he signs anything now he could be a huge free agent in the off season the type people over pay for.

They should sign or trade him now... they are one injury away from losing out on a valuable asset...it seems very risky to keep him unsigned IMO

#16 Saratoga Sabres Fan

Saratoga Sabres Fan

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 05:31 PM

go 3-4 years at more $$$

no way he signs anything now he could be a huge free agent in the off season the type people over pay for.

They should sign or trade him now... they are one injury away from losing out on a valuable asset...it seems very risky to keep him unsigned IMO

Exactly. I wouldn't be surprised if it was unanimous on this board that whatever it is that we would all individually offer, it won't be enough to sign him. Kane hitting free agency is basically inevitable, which is why he should be traded while return is high and without risk. I'd like to keep him, but I don't think we will get any type of discount whatsoever. 

#17 Scottysabres

Scottysabres

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 05:35 PM

I would go four years and 5.5 per. No, he won't take it

Read my mind, and my vote :)

#18 Drunkard

Drunkard

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,151 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 06:20 PM

Give him the Okposo deal of 7 years $42 million and front load it as much as allowable within the CBA rules.

Edited by Drunkard, 01 July 2017 - 06:20 PM.

#19 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 08:54 AM

7 and 6.5 was my vote ... 

Drunkard .........  :beer:

Kane brings what no other Sabre can and very few in the league do.  He will be a very important piece when the Sabres become contenders again.

#20 Drunkard

Drunkard

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,151 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 09:36 AM

Drunkard ......... :beer:

Kane brings what no other Sabre can and very few in the league do. He will be a very important piece when the Sabres become contenders again.

Definitely. Plus he's only 25 so a 7 year extension would only make him 33 by the end of the deal.

#21 Radar

Radar

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 09:59 AM

Drunkard .........  :beer:

Kane brings what no other Sabre can and very few in the league do.  He will be a very important piece when the Sabres become contenders again.

I'm not convinced he wants to be here plus long term will he have more off ice issues. His talent has not been questioned but he becomes high risk long term because last year may not be what you get on ice over seven years and off ice and team wise I'm concerned.

#22 sabresouth

sabresouth

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 05:07 PM

Do you think he might want to play this year under new GM, new coach, and new system, then if he likes the style of play want to resign with us?

#23 nfreeman

nfreeman

All I want is everything you got.

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,938 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 05:15 PM

As others have stated, you should edit the OP so it asks what the max term and dollars you would offer Kane if you were GM.  I would also include the caveat that if it's less than 6 years or less than $5.75MM per year, Kane is almost certain to leave.

I too would be surprised (and thrilled) if he accepted that deal.

Do you think he might want to play this year under new GM, new coach, and new system, then if he likes the style of play want to resign with us?

IMHO he will be looking for the biggest pile of guaranteed $$ he can get, which means long term.

#24 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,268 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 06:11 PM

I don't overstate his off ice whathaveyous like many in the media, but if you told me there was a CBA-kosher method of dropping a contract in case of legal disaster, I would be more adamant about max term and fair pay. He's a special player that can contribute at a championship level, but I don't want to risk hamstringing the team cap for years because a bar room brawl went south.

Make no mistake, he should be a Sabre, but some assurance somewhere for the good of the team would be nice.

#25 GoPuckYourself

GoPuckYourself

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 06:14 PM

If we could truly get a player of Vatanens caliber for him we'd be wise to do that, complete the D, concentrate on forwards in the Draft and FA. We aren't getting Kane for some bogus 3-4 year deal, this dude is all about money, just look at his instagram, I hope they trade him before the deadline, we can do some line changing if need be with the players we already have but Kane should be traded by now unless were not able to get the D man were looking for, for him. 

#26 DarthEbriate

DarthEbriate

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 06:23 PM

Any of the three centers he'll play with this season could be among the best center he's ever been matched with (O'Reilly, Eichel, Reinhart). Add in a new attacking system that plays to Kane's strengths...

Barring injury, he's going to have a good season, if not his best yet. After such a season on the open market he could break 7M/year. But when he leaves, does he get to play with O'R, E, or R on the new team, and do they have that player or our upcoming roster? 5 seasons gives him another big payday opportunity before people see "30+" and his wheels slow (think Oshie or Okposo).

I'd offer 6.25 over 5, knowing that our cash is going to divert to Eichel and Reinhart shortly.

#27 TrueBlueGED

TrueBlueGED

#fancystats

• Members
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 07:04 PM

Well, with Patrick Marleau signing $6.35Mx3 at 38 years old, I have a hard time seeing Kane take fewer dollars or years than that.

#28 DarthEbriate

DarthEbriate

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 08:41 PM

Well, with Patrick Marleau signing $6.35Mx3 at 38 years old, I have a hard time seeing Kane take fewer dollars or years than that.

Marleau got 6.35? I need to pay closer attention. So then "better season" Kane is easily over 7. Perhaps we'd best trade him while we can (or Okposo...if Kane is better for the JBot system).

#29 dudacek

dudacek

...browsing the internet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,928 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 07:09 PM

Nineteen wingers make $6 million or more. Ten wingers make $7 million.
Every one of them has put up better numbers than Kane.

I would give Kane Marleau's contract because the term protects us.
Kane will want that money but probably more term. Doubt I'd go beyond five years.

#30 Murray's Rats

Murray's Rats

Since Gilbert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 10:41 PM

4×6.5

#31 EichSnipe

EichSnipe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 12:53 AM

Here's a quick chart I put together (sorry for the gap, going Excel to PDF). Maybe it'll lend some insight into what Kane is worth relative to his peers. It shows all LW that scored more than half a point per game during the 2016-2017 season. Each player's contract information is to the right, including years, average annual value, and the year it was signed. At the bottom are some averages. This is no fancy math, but it also isn't Hammy-math. When I have a bit more time, maybe I'll add what age these contracts were signed at. Also would be valuable to see what their season immediately before looked like. 

Of note, four deals were struck this offseason. Drouin signed for 5x6.5 in Montreal. I think he's better and has more upside than Kane. Then again, Marleau got $6.25M per year from Toronto. Pearson got 4x3.75 from LA. Teravainen got 2x2.86 from Carolina.

Right now, Kane makes $5.25M per year. I would be in favor of extending him, but I don't think he has earned a big raise. 5X5.5M is probably where I would aim. Take it with a grain of salt, but the averages say 5x5.

XpNeKq0.png?2

Of painful note- our 5x5 LW didn't make the 0.5 PPG list :P

Edited by EichSnipe, 04 July 2017 - 12:55 AM.

#32 We've

We've

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 07:45 AM

You cant look at averages around the league. You have to look at the most recent contracts for comparable players. The Marleau deal is probably close, but Kane is young enough to justify term.

I dont get the agina over paying Kane. If he compliments this roster well, and nothing to date has shown otherwise, why wouldnt we want to pay the kid market price?

Im betting he has a real good year in a more attacking system and justifies keeping him around.

#33 French Collection

French Collection

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 08:03 AM

There needs to be a willingness from his side to remain in Buffalo.

I was in the trade him camp but now would explore keeping him at market value.
Hopefully he fits into this dressing room and in Howie's plans.
The loss of Foligno heightens the need for his "nuclear option".

#34 We've

We've

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 08:09 AM

There needs to be a willingness from his side to remain in Buffalo.

The loss of Foligno heightens the need for his "nuclear option".

Of course.  And there has been 0 information from Kane's side that he is not willing to sign here, just a bunch of speculation by forum posters who think they know what he is thinking.

Your second point is also important.  Not so much for the "nuclear option", but because he is one of the now very few on this team capable of playing a physically intimidating game.  That can only be helpful in a playoff run.

Edited by We've, 04 July 2017 - 08:09 AM.

#35 GASabresFan

GASabresFan

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 08:22 AM

This thread assumes the Sabres will want Kane back and because of our lack of depth at LW this season, that we will have no choice but to retain him.

I don't think that's true. Of course he might not want to return even if we want him, but even if he does, I don't think Jbot will want him back. I believe both Nylander and the left shooting Middelstadt will contend for roster spaces next season. If that happens, I think Jbot saves the money and given to top 2 LW spots to the kids.

Of course, the kids' development and Kane's attitude and play as well as the Sabres ability to contend as is will be huge factors in the ultimate decision, but we shouldn't just assume Kane will be offered an extention.

#36 Sabre fan

Sabre fan

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 09:11 AM

I guess the question is really can we afford to pay Kane say 5 to 7 years at even $6.5mil per? We obviously have some big contracts coming up that need to be addressed (like Jack's) and when all is said and done do we have enough cap  space? Of course the good news is Moulson, Gorges come off the books next year but we now have Pominville at $5.6 for two more seasons. This is probably one of those "damn if you do and damn if you don't" scenarios but we absolutely have to either re-sign long term or trade NOW...

#37 GASabresFan

GASabresFan

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 09:32 AM

You can't trade him now because we can't replace him. Signing Vanek isn't a replacement.

We need to find out if he replicate last season and if we can contend with him in the lineup. If he does and we contend then the likelihood of re-signing him increases. If we still don't contend then you hope he is healthy and you can trade him at the deadline.

#38 Huckleberry

Huckleberry

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,083 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 09:36 AM

I would pay him 6x 5.5 mill.   would never go over 6 mill aav.

#39 TrueBlueGED

TrueBlueGED

#fancystats

• Members
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 09:39 AM

You cant look at averages around the league. You have to look at the most recent contracts for comparable players. The Marleau deal is probably close, but Kane is young enough to justify term.

I dont get the agina over paying Kane. If he compliments this roster well, and nothing to date has shown otherwise, why wouldnt we want to pay the kid market price?

Im betting he has a real good year in a more attacking system and justifies keeping him around.

Well, I don't think he complements the roster very well because I don't like his fit with Eichel or O'Reilly. If I'm shelling out term and dollars, I want more versatility.

#40 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,779 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 11:23 AM

I would pay him 6x 5.5 mill. would never go over 6 mill aav.

Well then you ain't signing him