156 replies to this topic

#41 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

Hot Daniel is Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,670 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 11:32 AM

Is protecting Carrier worth the risk if Vegas calls and tells you they like both?

Yeah, I think so.

#42 Drunkard

Drunkard

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,074 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 11:34 AM

People are concerned because Carrier wasn't on the list? What am I missing? He's not that good.

He's younger and almost $4 miiion cheaper than Ennis and they wasted a protection spot. It's not so much about Carrier it's wasting a spot protecting a more expensive player who hasn't been productive in the last 2 seasons.

#43 dudacek

dudacek

...browsing the internet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,727 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 11:35 AM

Still holding out hope Moulson is a prearranged selection.

Beaulieu over Bogo is wake-up call to Bogo
Ennis over Carrier is a we still love you message to Ennis.

I will be angry if Carrier gets picked, less so if he was Vegas' price for bypassing Ullmark

#44 We've

We've

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,816 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 11:37 AM

People are concerned because Carrier wasn't on the list? What am I missing? He's not that good.

You, me. Eye to eye.

#45 grinreaper

grinreaper

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 11:38 AM

sorry I did not realize he had a NMC oh well I was hoping it meant he'd be back cause we sure could use him. I think he is one of the most important parts of the team moving forward, whether he can return or not

From what I've read he is on track to be back for the beginning of the season.

#46 We've

We've

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,816 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 11:40 AM

He's younger and almost $4 miiion cheaper than Ennis and they wasted a protection spot. It's not so much about Carrier it's wasting a spot protecting a more expensive player who hasn't been productive in the last 2 seasons.

If I had a way to prove it, I would bet that Carrier being exposd is part of a planned deal. Ennis was never going to get picked.

Everyone does. Well, everyone other than the crazy dude with the Perreault avatar.

I want to see Bogo with this coach.

#47 dudacek

dudacek

...browsing the internet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,727 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 11:40 AM

Most interesting list is the Isles:
Five D protected, but Pulock and Pelech, not Dehaan or Hickey?
Ryan Strome and Brock Nelson available?

#48 TrueBlueGED

TrueBlueGED

#fancystats

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,785 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 11:41 AM

He's a better NHL player than Ullmark.

#49 sabills

sabills

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 11:43 AM

He's a better NHL player than Ullmark.

But after Ullmark our goalie plan is...what exactly? Carrier might be a better player now, but Ullmark holds more value than a guy who is a 4th liner on a cup team.

#50 TrueBlueGED

TrueBlueGED

#fancystats

• Members
  • 23,785 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 11:48 AM

But after Ullmark our goalie plan is...what exactly? Carrier might be a better player now, but Ullmark holds more value than a guy who is a 4th liner on a cup team.

I'm just wholly unconcerned about losing a middle of the pack goalie prospect. Since he was drafted, Ullmark had had one great season. That's it. Meh. The impending loss of Petersen and our love of MODO has caused us to significantly overrate this guy.

I also think Carrier is better than a 4th liner on a contender.

Edited by TrueBlueGED, 18 June 2017 - 11:48 AM.

#51 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Playground King

• Members
  • 31,776 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 11:55 AM

Right, this is the trick. We're really light on goalie depth in the system right now. If Ullmark goes who do we have? I have to think that's part of the decision.

#52 Thorny

Thorny

Supreme Mugwump

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,712 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 11:55 AM

Why expose him if you don't have to? We will probably lose Dano...rather lose him than Myers. I still want to see Myers traded but not until he shows he is healthy and his return is decent. How much time is he going to get after Trouba and Buff?
Bogo being exposed and Beaulieu being protected shows how much Bot thinks of Bogo.

And also what he thinks of Bowlyou.

#53 WildCard

WildCard

Gunner's Mate First Class: Philip A$$hole

• Members
  • 20,347 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 11:58 AM

I think there's like 4 young goalies I'd take before Ullmark. I don't think he's nearly as highly regarded around the league as he is here.

Malcolm Subban is on there 

Edited by WildCard, 18 June 2017 - 11:58 AM.

#54 TrueBlueGED

TrueBlueGED

#fancystats

• Members
  • 23,785 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 12:02 PM

Right, this is the trick. We're really light on goalie depth in the system right now. If Ullmark goes who do we have? I have to think that's part of the decision.

Lehner is young and in line for a 3-4 year deal. I'm really not worried about finding "the next one" in that time frame.

Malcolm Subban is on there

Grubauer is the no-brainer to me.

#55 PromoTheRobot

PromoTheRobot

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 12:03 PM

BUFFALO SABRES

Available
William Carrier (F)
Nicolas Deslauriers (F)
Brian Gionta (F)
Derek Grant (F)
Justin Kea (F)
Matt Moulson (F)
Cal O’Reilly (F)
Cole Schneider (F)
Brady Austin (D)
Mathew Bodie (D)
Zach Bogosian (D)
Justin Falk (D)
Taylor Fedun (D)
Cody Franson (D)
Josh Gorges (D)
Dmitry Kulikov (D)
Anders Nilsson (G)
Linus Ullmark (G)

Protected
Tyler Ennis (F)
Marcus Foligno (F)
Zemgus Girgensons (F)
Evander Kane (F)
Johan Larsson (F)
Ryan O’Reilly (F)
Kyle Okposo (F)
Nathan Beaulieu (D)
Jake McCabe (D)
Rasmus Ristolainen (D)
Robin Lehner (G)

Ugh, Ennis? Seriously? C'mon JBot!

#56 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Playground King

• Members
  • 31,776 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 12:07 PM

Lehner is young and in line for a 3-4 year deal. I'm really not worried about finding "the next one" in that time frame.

I am. Because I think he's going to be exposed as a fraud under Housley's system.

#57 Thorny

Thorny

Supreme Mugwump

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,712 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 12:08 PM

I am. Because I think he's going to be exposed as a fraud under Housley's system.

The Gilderoy Lockhart of the Buffalo Sabres.

#58 TrueBlueGED

TrueBlueGED

#fancystats

• Members
  • 23,785 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 12:10 PM

Fraud? So not even average starter? That'd be quite the swing. I think he'll be exposed...as average. And that's fine for something like a $4Mx4 contract.

#59 WildCard

WildCard

• Members
  • 20,347 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 12:10 PM

How can he be any more exposed than he was under Byslma? The dude was shelled from the slot and high opportunity scoring chances 40 times a night 

#60 GoPuckYourself

GoPuckYourself

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 12:21 PM

Just like Buffalo fans to overvalue players, Carrier is nothing more than a bottom tier player. He or Ennis could have been exposed and it would be 1 in the same, there is no shocker here, after the top 6 players, we don't have much imo.

#61 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Playground King

• Members
  • 31,776 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 12:23 PM

Fraud? So not even average starter? That'd be quite the swing. I think he'll be exposed...as average. And that's fine for something like a $4Mx4 contract.

I really just don't see Lehner here long term. It's just my gut feeling.

#62 Randall Flagg

Randall Flagg

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,998 posts

Ennis has been a trash 5v5 player his entire career. Carrier was a part of the best 5v5 line we've had since probably the creation of those stats.

If we lose carrier because Ennis was protected, I'm not going to be pleased.

#63 TrueBlueGED

TrueBlueGED

#fancystats

• Members
  • 23,785 posts

How can he be any more exposed than he was under Byslma? The dude was shelled from the slot and high opportunity scoring chances 40 times a night

And he was bad at saving those. However, he also faced an abnormally large number of low danger shots from the outside, and he was terrific at stopping those. The theory is this inflated his cumulative save percentage. In a different system where he's facing fewer low percentage shots, so a larger share of shots against would be dangerous, he'd look less like a top-10 goalie statistically. I personally buy this, I just don't think he going to crater to the bottom class of starters.

#64 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Playground King

• Members
  • 31,776 posts

That's not what happened but okay.

#65 ShadowLiger

ShadowLiger

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 12:24 PM

actually most numbers came from the outside

#66 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Playground King

• Members
  • 31,776 posts

And he was bad at saving those. However, he also faced an abnormally large number of low danger shots from the outside, and he was terrific at stopping those. The theory is this inflated his cumulative save percentage. In a different system where he's facing fewer low percentage shots, so a larger share of shots against would be dangerous, he'd look less like a top-10 goalie statistically. I personally buy this, I just don't think he going to crater to the bottom class of starters.

Thanks kinda.

#67 ShadowLiger

ShadowLiger

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts

This is my view too

#68 TrueBlueGED

TrueBlueGED

#fancystats

• Members
  • 23,785 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 12:26 PM

Ennis has been a trash 5v5 player his entire career. Carrier was a part of the best 5v5 line we've had since probably the creation of those stats.

If we lose carrier because Ennis was protected, I'm not going to be pleased.

Preach!

#69 LikeEich

LikeEich

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 12:26 PM

Some of my opinions...

Ennis has too much offensive potential, and would have been selected by Vegas. When he's healthy he can contribute offensively, when he's not, his salary doesn't count against the cap.

Carrier is a dime a dozen player, would be nice to keep but I wouldn't blink if we lost him in the draft.

Bogo has 0 value. He's overpaid and the dude isn't a good defenseman. A new coach isn't going to be able to change his attitude and work ethic. Pay Vegas a 2nd rounder and pray it's enough to get him off the team!!

Winnipeg protecting Myers is a no brainer, unquestionably 3rd best defenseman on the team. I strongly believe if enstrom didn't waive, they were trading a defenseman.

Ullmark may be selected, not because he's an amazing prospect, but because it's him or carrier(pray for bogo). Ullmark has yet to prove anything in the NHL

#70 Radar

Radar

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 12:28 PM

Some of my opinions...
Ennis has too much offensive potential, and would have been selected by Vegas. When he's healthy he can contribute offensively, when he's not, his salary doesn't count against the cap.
Carrier is a dime a dozen player, would be nice to keep but I wouldn't blink if we lost him in the draft.
Bogo has 0 value. He's overpaid and the dude isn't a good defenseman. A new coach isn't going to be able to change his attitude and work ethic. Pay Vegas a 2nd rounder and pray it's enough to get him off the team!!
Winnipeg protecting Myers is a no brainer, unquestionably 3rd best defenseman on the team. I strongly believe if enstrom didn't waive, they were trading a defenseman.
Ullmark may be selected, not because he's an amazing prospect, but because it's him or carrier(pray for bogo). Ullmark has yet to prove anything in the NHL

Pretty much how I feel.

#71 WildCard

WildCard

• Members
  • 20,347 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 12:29 PM

Good post. Guess I just remembered it differently. Do you have the heat map for this? Can't find it online

#72 Huckleberry

Huckleberry

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,029 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 01:07 PM

If I'm LV I pick

Anaheim: Vatanen RD

Arizona: McGinn L

Boston: Hayes R

Buffalo: Schneider  ( better goalies than Ullmark not on a one way contract, and Carrier really doesn't wow me)

Calgary:Versteeg L

Carolina: Eddie lack G

Chicago: Van Riemsdyk RD

Colorado: Grigorenko C

Columbus: Jack Johnson

Dallas: Cody eakin C

Detroit: Darren Helm C

Edmonton: Desharnais C

Florida: Reilly smith L

Los Angeles: Dustin brown + 1st round pick F

Minnesota: Matt Dumba RD

Montreal: Nesterov LD

Nashville: James neal F

New Jersey: Beau Bennet

New York islanders: Calvin De haan LD Edit  (missed brock nelson here, could use another center).

New York rangers:  Grabner R  Edit going for klein.

Senator: Marc Methot  ( I pick Ryan if they offer me a 2nd and 4th round pick)

Philadelphia: Matt read R

Pittsburgh: Marc Andre fleury G

San Jose: Boedker L

St Louis: Jori Lehtera C

Tampa: Sustr or garrison + 1st

Toronto: Kerby Rychel

Vancouver: Dorsett nothing I really want from this team.

Washignton: Grubauer

Winnipeg : Dano

Forward group, Yikes lottery screwed us we could have used a top 2 draft pick for a center.

The defense I got I go trade for better forwards, went over that list to try to find a #2 center, couldn't find one.

Neal - That russian dude - Brown

McGinn - Nelson- Hayes

Boedker - Lehtera - Eakin

Rychel - Dano - read  ( really like this pick up).

Grigorenko - Helm - Versteeg

Schneider - Desharnais

My defense and goalies look good.

Defense

Methot - Vatanen

Garrison -  Dumba

Nesterov - Van riemsdyk

johnson - Klein

Goalies

Fleury

Lack

Grubauer

Edited by Huckleberry, 18 June 2017 - 01:23 PM.

#73 nucci

nucci

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,400 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 01:32 PM

ok, makes sense

#74 Scottysabres

Scottysabres

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 01:41 PM

Just like Buffalo fans to overvalue players, Carrier is nothing more than a bottom tier player. He or Ennis could have been exposed and it would be 1 in the same, there is no shocker here, after the top 6 players, we don't have much imo.

Well, we do it's just that their a bit younger. I see Bailey as a 3rd line RW'er. Same with Fasching. Baptists on the other hand I see as a top 6 RW'er.

The only reason I didn't like losing Carrier was because he is a LH shot.

#75 Saratoga Sabres Fan

Saratoga Sabres Fan

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 01:59 PM

I want Bogosian gone!

I could be wrong but I think this season could be a fresh start for him under Housley.

#76 kas23

kas23

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 02:18 PM

Maybe we left Carrier exposed as a goodwill gesture for them to take Moulson in a deal too. If so, great deal.

#77 CallawaySabres

CallawaySabres

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,662 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 02:35 PM

Maybe we left Carrier exposed as a goodwill gesture for them to take Moulson in a deal too. If so, great deal.

Exactly, why in the world protect ennis?

#78 kas23

kas23

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 02:48 PM

Exactly, why in the world protect ennis?

I think all of the GMs have spoke with McPhee at length. They know who he wants and who he doesn't. This "draft" really isn't a true draft, but just a well-orchestrated redistribution of players. There will be no surprises here, so it doesn't really who they protect and who they don't because every player is fair game (except for those with a NMC).

Edited by kas23, 18 June 2017 - 02:49 PM.

#79 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Playground King

• Members
  • 31,776 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 03:30 PM

I think all of the GMs have spoke with McPhee at length. They know who he wants and who he doesn't. This "draft" really isn't a true draft, but just a well-orchestrated redistribution of players. There will be no surprises here, so it doesn't really who they protect and who they don't because every player is fair game (except for those with a NMC).

Yup. I assume everything that went into deciding these protected lists was done with a decent amount of input from McPhee

#80 North Buffalo

North Buffalo

When hell freezes over, I’ll play hockey there too.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,433 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 03:35 PM

True and one way contract with Ullmark was brilliant.