194 replies to this topic

#81 Sabre fan

Sabre fan

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 02:57 PM

in hindsight, what does everyone think of Montreal trading Subban? I am still kinda on the fence with that one but still they continue to give away good young d-men...

#82 Eleven

Eleven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,442 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 02:59 PM

No,but he never made a smart depth deal like this one.

Sure he did.  With the same team.  Also a pick for a defenseman deal.

#83 ShadowLiger

ShadowLiger

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 03:04 PM

Josh Gorges for a 2nd. Still wasn't a bad trade. The #45 pick in the 2016 draft which turned into Chad Krys 

Edited by ShadowLiger, 17 June 2017 - 03:05 PM.

#84 North Buffalo

North Buffalo

When hell freezes over, I’ll play hockey there too.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 03:07 PM

Nice move ditto, from seeing him
play the guy can skate, Housley kinda guy... will be interesting to see D next year. So do Sabres go O or D with 8th pick, certainly opens up option especially with so many D options in second round. Now you can say go BPA and not sweat.

#85 Eleven

Eleven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 28,442 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 03:07 PM

Josh Gorges for a 2nd. Still wasn't a bad trade. The #45 pick in the 2016 draft which turned into Chad Krys 

Definitely not a bad trade.  Frankly, I think that any non-first-round pick for a current player who definitely will be in the lineup is usually a good trade.

#86 LikeEich

LikeEich

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 03:08 PM

MTL was going to lose him to Vegas for nothing. They'll protect Weber, Petry, and Emelin. and now they can protect 7 forwards

Yeah I don't think it's a bad move by Montreal by any means. I thought the move for drouin was a good one for them too

#87 Murray's Rats

Murray's Rats

Since Gilbert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,724 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 03:15 PM

Theory... Beaulieu is left unprotected and taken by LV in expansion draft. If not, welcome aboard I like it as a nice bottom 4 piece for an improved d

#88 ShadowLiger

ShadowLiger

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 03:18 PM

Theory... Beaulieu is left unprotected and taken by LV in expansion draft. If not, welcome aboard I like it as a nice bottom 4 piece for an improved d

giphy.gif

#89 Radar

Radar

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 03:18 PM

There's nothI got that requires them to take three. There will be free agent options as well where they can fill up their ranks in the net.

Okay, I was under the impression Vegas had to select three goaltenders.

#90 TheCerebral1

TheCerebral1

Lord and Master of Zero F***s Given

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 03:25 PM

Or Bogosian is left unprotected and not selected.  

#91 Murray's Rats

Murray's Rats

Since Gilbert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,724 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 03:25 PM

giphy.gif
i don't know. Just a theory. Maybe LV wanted someone else from Buf and this is a way of protecting that player? Perhaps they wanted two players from Mtl so JB helped them to help himself?

#92 Robviously

Robviously

What You Don't See

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,533 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 03:29 PM

I think that would be a pretty terrible outcome.

If we traded a 3rd round pick to make sure we still have Ullmark after the expansion draft, I'd be OK with that.  I'd prefer that we traded the 3rd just to acquire NB and that he's protected along with 55 and 29 though.

#93 dejeanerret

dejeanerret

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 03:30 PM

Nice move ditto, from seeing him
play the guy can skate, Housley kinda guy... will be interesting to see D next year. So do Sabres go O or D with 8th pick, certainly opens up option especially with so many D options in second round. Now you can say go BPA and not sweat.

I really like Owen Tippett.

Fills a need at RW with an already NHL-caliber shot.

Pure goal scorer that has dominated at every level he has played.

We have Guhle, Nelson, Stephens, and Martin waiting in the wings  at D.

Edited by dejeanerret, 17 June 2017 - 03:41 PM.

#94 WildCard

WildCard

Gunner's Mate First Class: Philip A$$hole

• Members
  • 20,368 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 03:30 PM

Isn't​ he the guy that scouts said is absolutely lost away from the puck?

#95 Robviously

Robviously

What You Don't See

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,533 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 03:32 PM

We're celebrating the Gorges trade now?  His best season for us was the year we were *trying to lose* and he's sucked ever since.

GMTM's best trade by far was for ROR.  Most of the rest didn't amount to almost anything and he didn't do anything as opportunistic as this one.

#96 ShadowLiger

ShadowLiger

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 03:33 PM

I really like Owen Tippett.

Fills a need at RW with an already NHL-caliber shot.

Pure goal scorer that has dominated at every level he has played.

We have Guhle, Nelson, Stephens, and Fitzgerald waiting in the wings  at D.

What need at RW? 

Okposo, Reinhart, Bailey, Baptiste, Fasching, technically Nylander can RW. I just listed 6 players who have shots at top 3 rw spots with 2 of them currently entrenched on lines 1 and 2. RW might be the least needed position on the Sabres roster outside of top 6 center. 

Do the bold we have Guhle and maybe Nelson. The other two are long shots to make the NHL. All the RW I just listed have a good shot of being NHL players. 

Edited by ShadowLiger, 17 June 2017 - 03:34 PM.

#97 North Buffalo

North Buffalo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 03:42 PM

What need at RW? 
Okposo, Reinhart, Bailey, Baptiste, Fasching, technically Nylander can RW. I just listed 6 players who have shots at top 3 rw spots with 2 of them currently entrenched on lines 1 and 2. RW might be the least needed position on the Sabres roster outside of top 6 center. 

Do the bold we have Guhle and maybe Nelson. The other two are long shots to make the NHL. All the RW I just listed have a good shot of being NHL players.

. Sabres still need a bonafide scorer, LW wing Rt wing, center whatever.... not sure no 8 gets you there, but hey there is a need... trade one of those RWs for additional or moving up ability... just saying.

#98 ShadowLiger

ShadowLiger

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 03:45 PM

I am unsure what you mean by bonafide scorer. 

#99 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

Hot Daniel is Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,672 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 03:51 PM

We're celebrating the Gorges trade now? His best season for us was the year we were *trying to lose* and he's sucked ever since.

GMTM's best trade by far was for ROR. Most of the rest didn't amount to almost anything and he didn't do anything as opportunistic as this one.

This is a trade that wouldn't have happened without the expansion draft, though. I think GMTM didn't make a big trade for a D-man last offseason because a)the price was too high for him and b)he knew it would be easier to trade for a D-man this offseason.

#100 North Buffalo

North Buffalo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 03:55 PM

I am unsure what you mean by bonafide scorer.

Should have said another one, should have said elite and not confident Nylander pans out. Maybe PU does. But need to keep Molson buried below the Mason Dixon line. Someone with Moulson's former nose for the net, younger and if possible more skill. A Forsberg type though doubt one in this draft past Herschier (sp?)

Edited by North Buffalo, 17 June 2017 - 03:56 PM.

#101 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,666 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 03:57 PM

So a value oriented D depth pickup with some upside for next to nothing. TM see how this works.

This is the type of move I've been begging for for two years.

If only there was an expansion draft leaving teams vulnerable and willing to make less than fair value deals every offseaon

#102 kas23

kas23

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 03:59 PM

If he was acquired to keep Ullmark, who would you guys rather keep now; Ullmark or Beaulieu? I say Beaulieu. It's harder to get young, promising D than a promising GT.

#103 Tondas

Tondas

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 04:07 PM

If he was acquired to keep Ullmark, who would you guys rather keep now; Ullmark or Beaulieu? I say Beaulieu. It's harder to get young, promising D than a promising GT.

If a deal was struck with VGK regarding Beaulieu, it would be in bad form for JBOT to reneg now, especially being a new GM. 

#104 ShadowLiger

ShadowLiger

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 04:09 PM

If a deal was struck with VGK regarding Beaulieu, it would be in bad form for JBOT to reneg now, especially being a new GM. 

If a deal were struck for Beaulieu why would Montreal trade him? 

#105 Thorny

Thorny

Supreme Mugwump

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 04:10 PM

Beaulieu, easily.

I'd be pretty disappointed if we aren't actually getting him.

#106 Robviously

Robviously

What You Don't See

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,533 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 04:14 PM

This is a trade that wouldn't have happened without the expansion draft, though. I think GMTM didn't make a big trade for a D-man last offseason because a)the price was too high for him and b)he knew it would be easier to trade for a D-man this offseason.

Correct, but there's always a chance to buy low on *someone*.  Regier didn't give up a ton to get guys like Briere and Lydman, for example.  GMTM's MO was to give up whatever it took to get players he was in love with.  The result was we finished 5th last in the NHL last season.

I'd prefer to keep Beaulieu of the two, but I'd rather protect them both.  

#107 Tondas

Tondas

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 04:19 PM

If a deal were struck for Beaulieu why would Montreal trade him? 

Got a better deal from us (third party) than they could do themselves.  All VGK has to give to us is a promise not to select Ullmark (for example).  If VGK said if to the SABRES, IF you can get Beaulieu from MON, we'll take him and agree not to take Ullmark.

#108 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

Hot Daniel is Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,672 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 04:31 PM

Correct, but there's always a chance to buy low on *someone*. Regier didn't give up a ton to get guys like Briere and Lydman, for example. GMTM's MO was to give up whatever it took to get players he was in love with. The result was we finished 5th last in the NHL last season.

I think GMTM's biggest sins were selection of the coach and too much rope for the coach. GMTM took swings, and wasn't terrified of the risk, like Darcy was.

O'Reilly was a home run.

Lehner has worked out so far and is still young, so he could go either way.

Kulikov was a miss (suffered a freak injury).

Bogo has been really bad but Myers has been injured even more. That's either a slight win for Winnipeg or a wash. I'm sure Ducky could tell us what he thinks.

Kane was a good pickup, and definitely worth the gamble. Kane can be a core player on a contender. I think he's the perfect guy to run a third line. More teams than ever have 3 balanced lines rather than a top 6. Kane is the ideal player to elevate the play of third line centers like Larsson, Coyle, or Anisimov.

I don't think it'll work out that way for us, but we can still get some value out of Kane in a trade.

I don't think any of those roster moves are that bad, even though a few didn't work out. I think it's more fair to criticize GMTM for not building a cohesive team. I'm not sure if I feel that way, but I can't disagree based on the results.

But Murray the Overpayer? I still don't buy into the myth.

Edited by qwksndmonster, 17 June 2017 - 04:38 PM.

#109 Scottysabres

Scottysabres

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 04:33 PM

I think GMTMs biggest sins were selection of the coach and too much rope for the coach. GMTM took swings, and wasn't terrified of the risk, like Darcy was.
O'Reilly was a home run.
Lehner has worked out so far and is still young, so he could go either way.
Kulikov was a miss (suffered a freak injury).
Bogo has been really bad but Myers has been injured even more. That's either a slight win for Winnipeg or a wash. I'm sure Ducky could tell us what he thinks.
Kane was a good pickup, and definitely worth the gamble. Kane can be a core player on a contender. I think he's the perfect guy to run a third line. More teams than ever have 3 balanced line rather than a top 6. Kane is the ideal player to elevate the play of third line centers like Larsson, Coyle, or Anisimov.
I don't think it'll work out that way for us, but we can still get some value out of Kane in a trade.
I don't think any of those roster moves are that bad even though a few didn't work out. I think it's more fair to criticize GMTM for not building a cohesive team. I'm not sure if I feel that way, but I can't disagree based on the results.
But Murray the Overpayer? I still don't buy into the myth.

It's no myth. He overpaid on Lehner.

#110 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

Hot Daniel is Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,672 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 04:37 PM

It's no myth. He overpaid on Lehner.

lol

#111 Scottysabres

Scottysabres

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 04:41 PM

lol

:)
Hey, 3 out of 5 Sabers fans say so, and as you know, 3 is more than 2 :P

#112 BRAWNDO

BRAWNDO

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,233 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 04:42 PM

He has identical PP60 to Risto.

The analytics people love it for the Sabres, smart move, great trade

#113 BuffaloBorn

BuffaloBorn

We're Gonna Win That Cup!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 04:43 PM

I was initially critical of GMJB. I just got this vibe that he didn't understand the value of the entire roster in depth....

But for a first trade this is a damn good deal imo. I'm a fan. 

Many speculate that D-men peak at around 28. There is probably truth to that.

He's only 24. 

Think about it - 0.38 PPG as a D-men last season. Prior season he was .30. .8 PPG difference in a year is a pretty significant jump. 

Who's to say when he "peaks" he cant improve that a little bit more? Know nothing about him. but i think my logic is fairly universal.

For a 3rd round pick? 

I love it

Edited by BuffaloBorn, 17 June 2017 - 04:47 PM.

#114 Scottysabres

Scottysabres

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 04:45 PM

He has identical PP60 to Risto.
The analytics people love it for the Sabres, smart move, great trade

I think so to. I knew nothing about this guy until reading here. Just knew he was drafted after Armia. But if he can find chemistry with a D partner here I'm happy happy

#115 mustacheofgod

mustacheofgod

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 04:56 PM

I'm not buying it. The reason Montreal sold him at such a low value was because they didn't want to lose him for nothing.

Love the trade, our D is already looking better. Once these guys get some one v one with Dr. Phil we might just have some exciting hockey for the first time in a decade.

#116 MODO Hockey

MODO Hockey

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 04:57 PM

This is a really good trade in my eyes. I just hope were exposing Bogo now

This guy is obviously not afraid to take fights either, plenty of them on youtube.

Edited by MODO Hockey, 17 June 2017 - 05:06 PM.

#117 DarthEbriate

DarthEbriate

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 05:23 PM

MTL was going to lose him to Vegas for nothing. They'll protect Weber, Petry, and Emelin. and now they can protect 7 forwards

Yes. Good on MTL to get something for him. I don't mind it, but it has to be alarming for MTL fans to lose Subban, a good 19-min RFA, and Sergachev. Unless their pipeline is absolutely stocked with defencemen I don't know about... they have to be working with LV to do a pick and trade? Or getting into an arms race for.... Shattenkirk? Anyway not our problem. Beaulieu should be a capable #5 this season, and hopefully grow into a 2nd-pair guy for the next few seasons. Good trade all around.

#118 Huckleberry

Huckleberry

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,030 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 06:44 PM

i don't know. Just a theory. Maybe LV wanted someone else from Buf and this is a way of protecting that player? Perhaps they wanted two players from Mtl so JB helped them to help himself?

The only thing they could want is one of our goalies, ( can see them go after fleury and grubauer first though).    Players that will be open for them to grab are Moulson, gorges, Bogo , ennis.

#119 thewookie1

thewookie1

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 06:45 PM

I think we're trading him to Vegas to be honest based on the lack of a press release and his off ice problems plus Gallant's history with the guy. However I don't think it's to save Ullmark but rather to get another Dman that Vegas grabs.

#120 ShadowLiger

ShadowLiger

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 06:49 PM

https://www.nhl.com/...eu/c-289970310 

Edited by ShadowLiger, 17 June 2017 - 06:49 PM.