Photo

Rumor: Buffalo Interested in Patrick Kane?

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#1 WildCard

WildCard

Gunner's Mate First Class: Philip A$$hole

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,347 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 08:04 AM

I mean, financially it makes sense. Reinhart would fit that team to a tee, they could shed money, and they'd love to get their hands on the #8 overall pick. We can offer them more than the Devils by a mile too

The question is, would you do it? Kane is only getting older, and although we wouldn't have to pay Reinhart anymore, we still have to pay Jack. This also means Evander Kane is definitely moving somewhere

Kane will be 29 this November, and is coming off the best two seasons of his career.

From IBN Bob

**NHL RUMORS**
Source: Devils & Blackhawks discussions centered around #1 Pick +other assets for Patrick Kane (Just Talks-Not Close/Done)

Incarcerated Bob has been known to have good sources.

More from Bob

**NHL RUMORS**
Source: Patty Kane very available, teams like #Devils #Hurricanes #Sabres
have all called. Devils have that #1 pick though

Although I doubt the third team wants the headache.

Very connected with NYC Teams, but gets info across all the major leagues.

Had Okposo to Buffalo before anyone else did

Edited by WildCard, 14 June 2017 - 08:33 AM.

#2 bunomatic

bunomatic

bunomatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,930 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 08:09 AM

That escalated quickly.

#3 Lanny

Lanny

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 08:10 AM

So we're assuming Reinhart and 8 overall is the price?

#4 WildCard

WildCard

• Members
  • 20,347 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 08:10 AM

That escalated quickly.

It's the offseason, and as crazy as it sounds at first, Chicago moving Kane makes a ton of sense for them, and everyone else. It also coincides with everything we've been hearing about this offseason, and about how angry Bowman was about Chicago being swept in the first round 

I'd assume that's the foundation for a package 

#5 bunomatic

bunomatic

bunomatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,930 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 08:12 AM

Lets hope its Kane for Kane

#6 Eleven

Eleven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 28,434 posts

Where did the rumor come from?

#7 spndnchz

spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,340 posts

Who said this?

#8 TrueBlueGED

TrueBlueGED

#fancystats

• Members
  • 23,785 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 08:14 AM

It's the offseason, and as crazy as it sounds at first, Chicago moving Kane makes a ton of sense for them, and everyone else. It also coincides with everything we've been hearing about this offseason, and about how angry Bowman was about Chicago being swept in the first round

I'd assume that's the foundation for a package

How does moving the guy actually earning his paycheck make a ton of sense for them? Unless they get back a center than can drop Toews to #2, I don't see how they can get a return to help them compete now, and any futures return will be too late as Keith, Hossa, and Toews all age out.

#9 WildCard

WildCard

• Members
  • 20,347 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 08:15 AM

Where did the rumor come from?

Who said this?

Fixed

How does moving the guy actually earning his paycheck make a ton of sense for them? Unless they get back a center than can drop Toews to #2, I don't see how they can get a return to help them compete now, and any futures return will be too late as Keith, Hossa, and Toews all age out.

He's the only one with value, and they're cap is screwed. They, like everyone else besides us in the hockey universe, probably believe Toews is still worth the money. 

Edited by WildCard, 14 June 2017 - 08:15 AM.

#10 ShadowLiger

ShadowLiger

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 08:21 AM

but why would they trade Patrick? 

#11 Eleven

Eleven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 28,434 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 08:22 AM

Incarcerated Bob is the source?

#12 WildCard

WildCard

• Members
  • 20,347 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 08:23 AM

Incarcerated Bob is the source?

I don't know if that's his real name or if d4rk was joking honestly

#13 Saratoga Sabres Fan

Saratoga Sabres Fan

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 08:26 AM

If we ever see P Kane in buffalo I think it will be in the twilight of his career. Awesome to think about but I don't see it happening. Though we still don't have a feel for how JB is going to structure this team.

#14 WildCard

WildCard

• Members
  • 20,347 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 08:27 AM

“I think there’s going to be a bomb or two in this one, I really do,” Friedman told the 960 crew. “I think we’re going to have some things hit us that we’re not expecting.”

Buckle up.

“The other thing too is Chicago is hosting the draft,” pointed out Friedman. “I think they’re trying to move up. I think Chicago is not satisfied. I mean, I almost laugh at it. They’ve gone two whole years without winning a Stanley Cup. But that’s why they’re the organization they are. They’re in it to win it every year and I think they’re going to try some things.

https://www.fanragsp...wo-trade-front/

#15 Eleven

Eleven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 28,434 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 08:32 AM

I don't know if that's his real name or if d4rk was joking honestly

There is someone who goes by Incarcerated Bob on twitter.  He's very, umm, controversial.  Google his user name if you've got the time.

#16 shrader

shrader

Enduring tortures most of which rhyme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,689 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 08:33 AM

Trading away your top guy while you're hosting a draft that doesn't have any of the big name prospects of previous years is probably not the kind of splash I'd want to make.  I think it would anger more fans than it would please.

#17 WildCard

WildCard

• Members
  • 20,347 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 08:35 AM

Kane's contract runs for 4 more years, until he's 33, with a $10.5M cap hit annually 

#18 GASabresFan

GASabresFan

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 08:36 AM

Why it's the annual P Kane to Buffalo rumor.  LOL.  Not happening.  Botterill isn't giving up Sam and our top pick for Kane.  He is not going to add a high paid star player near 30 at the expense of the core of the franchise.  We did enough of that stuff under TM.  Jbot is going to finally build the team correctly. 

#19 WildCard

WildCard

• Members
  • 20,347 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 08:36 AM

If you look at these tweets, he appears to be right about quite a bit (Subban, Hall to the Devils, Brassard, etc)

https://twitter.com/...859382969966592

#20 Saratoga Sabres Fan

Saratoga Sabres Fan

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 08:37 AM

There is someone who goes by Incarcerated Bob on twitter. He's very, umm, controversial. Google his user name if you've got the time.

https://3rdand57.wor...carcerated-bob/

#21 ShadowLiger

ShadowLiger

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 08:38 AM

Why it's the annual P Kane to Buffalo rumor.  LOL.  Not happening.  Botterill isn't giving up Sam and our top pick for Kane.  He is not going to add a high paid star player near 30 at the expense of the core of the franchise.  We did enough of that stuff under TM.  Jbot is going to finally build the team correctly. 

What core pieces did TM trade? 

#22 tom webster

tom webster

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,188 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 08:46 AM

I don't know if Kane is coming to Buffalo, but I do know;

1) He has expressed interest as late as last summer in finishing his career here and was concerned that his last mis-step could have hurt those chances.

2) Management in Buffalo has floated the possibility

3) The Sabres are worried about a significant drop in ticket sales this year

#23 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Playground King

• Members
  • 31,776 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 08:58 AM

There is someone who goes by Incarcerated Bob on twitter.  He's very, umm, controversial.  Google his user name if you've got the time.

Yeah....

That's him though. 

Could Botterill be trying to re-create the Crosby-Malkin model with Eichel-Kane? 

#24 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

That Nostalgic Olfactory Blend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,030 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 09:01 AM

I know the move would probably not make sense on a lot of levels. BUT -- watching Eichel dish to Kane for a few years while the latter is still in his prime would be SWEET.

#25 Lanny

Lanny

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 09:02 AM

What core pieces did TM trade? 

I think it's interesting that many of the vets that Murray traded away are likely to be exposed by the team they went to in the expansion draft. 

#26 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Playground King

• Members
  • 31,776 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 09:02 AM

I know the move would probably not make sense on a lot of levels. BUT -- watching Eichel dish to Kane for a few years while the latter is still in his prime would be SWEET.

Does this move meet the Pegula core values requirement though? 

#27 Hank

Hank

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 09:06 AM

No way in hell I trade Reinhart and #8 for Kane. I think Sam could be a special player as a second line center, I don't understand why he's so undervalued by many on this board. I don't trade Sam's future for two to three decent years of Kane straight up. Kane is not the missing piece to winning a cup. By the time this team is ready to compete for a cup Kane will be declining. It just doesn't make sense to me. 

#28 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Playground King

• Members
  • 31,776 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 09:09 AM

No way in hell I trade Reinhart and #8 for Kane. I think Sam could be a special player as a second line center, I don't understand why he's so undervalued by many on this board. I don't trade Sam's future for two to three decent years of Kane straight up. Kane is not the missing piece to winning a cup. By the time this team is ready to compete for a cup Kane will be declining. It just doesn't make sense to me. 

You could win a Cup next year with Kane on Eichel's wing as long as you can shed some dead weight and get a little better on defense. What's wrong with trying to win now? 

#29 ShadowLiger

ShadowLiger

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 09:12 AM

Sams game is subtle, he will always probably be under appreciated. 

#30 Hank

Hank

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 09:19 AM

You could win a Cup next year with Kane on Eichel's wing as long as you can shed some dead weight and get a little better on defense. What's wrong with trying to win now? 

I just don't believe Kane puts us in position to contend. I don't our D can be upgraded enough, I don't think our wings are good enough, especially if adding Patty means losing Evander, I don't think our bottom two centers will be good enough. 

I think we'd be a much better team if we rolled Jack-Sam-ROR at 17-18 minutes per line much like we did Drury,Briere, Roy. Fill in the wingers around that spine and I think we compete for 6-8 years. 

#31 CallawaySabres

CallawaySabres

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,662 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 09:20 AM

This would be terrible and only give the Sabres a smaller window to be great - keep the youth for Christ sake AND BUILD FOR ONCE!

#32 Derrico

Derrico

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 09:21 AM

I don't think anybody is undervaluing Reinhart.  Those proposing trades are using a good asset to either acquire a good player in position of need or for a superstar like Kane.  Guy had 89 points last year and 106 the year before.  We're not proposing trading Reinhart for Stafford here.

I just don't believe Kane puts us in position to contend. I don't our D can be upgraded enough, I don't think our wings are good enough, especially if adding Patty means losing Evander, I don't think our bottom two centers will be good enough. 

I think we'd be a much better team if we rolled Jack-Sam-ROR at 17-18 minutes per line much like we did Drury,Briere, Roy. Fill in the wingers around that spine and I think we compete for 6-8 years. 

This is a fair point.

#33 WildCard

WildCard

• Members
  • 20,347 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 09:25 AM

Pretty good article on why Bowman is an overrated GM at the very least 

https://www.fanragsp...bowmans-genius/

I'd rather do this too, but if Kane's on Botteril's radar, that's the price we have to pay 

#34 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Playground King

• Members
  • 31,776 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 09:29 AM

This could be true. And I value Sam as much as anyone. He is sneakily very good. 

But I really think it's worth it to get arguably one of the best wingers in the game on Jack's wing. I don't need my center spine to be that deep if Eichel and Kane are my top line pair. 

#35 ShadowLiger

ShadowLiger

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 09:30 AM

What about getting Hjalmarsson? If Chicago really is in a cap crunch.

#36 sabills

sabills

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 09:39 AM

I really worry that if PK moves to Buffalo permanently that he'll be dead or in jail before that contract runs out. Dude rolls hard, especially here. Too many South Buffalo Bros will want to get him drunk every day, and I'm not sure he can help himself.

Edited by sabills, 14 June 2017 - 09:40 AM.

#37 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Playground King

• Members
  • 31,776 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 09:40 AM

I really worry that if PK moves to Buffalo permanently that he'll be dead or in jail before that contract runs out. Dude rolls hard, especially here. To many South Buffalo Bros will want to get him drunk every day, and I'm not sure he can help himself.

Legitimate concern. Again, does he fit the Pegula company line? 

#38 Derrico

Derrico

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 09:40 AM

This could be true. And I value Sam as much as anyone. He is sneakily very good. 

But I really think it's worth it to get arguably one of the best wingers in the game on Jack's wing. I don't need my center spine to be that deep if Eichel and Kane are my top line pair. 

I like this point.

#39 nfreeman

nfreeman

All I want is everything you got.

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,893 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 09:46 AM

I would trade Reino and #8 for Kane in a heartbeat.

And I would add Evander if Chicago wanted to add Seabrook.  (And that might be what gets it done for Chicago -- Seabrook is 32 and under contract for SEVEN more years at a $6.875MM cap hit per year.)

Boom!

#40 BRAWNDO

BRAWNDO

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,212 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 09:47 AM

I don't know if Kane is coming to Buffalo, but I do know;

1) He has expressed interest as late as last summer in finishing his career here and was concerned that his last mis-step could have hurt those chances.
2) Management in Buffalo has floated the possibility
3) The Sabres are worried about a significant drop in ticket sales this year

Quick question about this particularly to the last point. Would this factor into the coaching decision as well? PHam and Harrington are on record stating what a lackluster hiring Tocchet would be and opinion polls although not scientific have Housley as the clear cut choice. If there isn't a resounding difference between the two coaches in the eyes of the Pegulas, why not go with the fan favorite.