1081 replies to this topic

#1 BRAWNDO

BRAWNDO

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,212 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 12:14 PM

Friedman says he thinks CBJ & VGK have a deal where David Clarkson lands in Vegas, along with a 1st + prospect (960).

#2 TrueBlueGED

TrueBlueGED

#fancystats

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,785 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 12:27 PM

Friedman says he thinks CBJ & VGK have a deal where David Clarkson lands in Vegas, along with a 1st + prospect (960).

Wow, that's a nice haul for Vegas just to take a contract on.

#3 BRAWNDO

BRAWNDO

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,212 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 01:29 PM

Marc Andre Fleury has agreed to waive his NTC For Las Vegas only.

#4 Thorny

Thorny

Supreme Mugwump

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,712 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 01:37 PM

Sens ask Dion Phaneuf to waive NMC for purposes of expansion draft.

#5 WildCard

WildCard

Gunner's Mate First Class: Philip A$$hole

• Members
  • 20,347 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 01:46 PM

Vegas quickly becoming a team I can easily hate I see

#6 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

Hot Daniel is Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,670 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 01:53 PM

I'm pretty intrigued by Vegas. I've never seen an expansion team before.

#7 Lanny

Lanny

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 01:57 PM

Vegas quickly becoming a team I can easily hate I see

I think them waiving their clauses just means they're exposed in the draft, not that they necessarily will be selected by Vegas.

#8 Randall Flagg

Randall Flagg

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,998 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 01:57 PM

xxx - Shipachyov - xxx

xxx - xxx - xxx

xxx - xxx - xxx

xxx - xxx - xxx

xxx - xxx

Phaneuf - xxx

xxx - xxx

Fleury

xxx

This team is already going to be better than the Canucks, has better goaltending than the Flames, and has a better defense than the Sabres, and has a better center spine than the division winning Canadiens. Look out Pacific Division  :flirt:

#9 Thorny

Thorny

Supreme Mugwump

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,712 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 02:17 PM

Don't forget Reid Duke.

#10 Sabres79

Sabres79

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 02:23 PM

Welp. Death just popped up in my living room and is for some reason laughing at me...

#11 ShadowLiger

ShadowLiger

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 02:28 PM

xxx - Shipachyov - xxx

xxx - xxx - xxx

xxx - xxx - xxx

xxx - xxx - xxx

xxx - xxx

Phaneuf - xxx

xxx - xxx

Fleury

xxx

This team is already going to be better than the Canucks, has better goaltending than the Flames, and has a better defense than the Sabres, and has a better center spine than the division winning Canadiens. Look out Pacific Division  :flirt:

Better defense? lol not yet... give them a week  :ph34r:

#12 Randall Flagg

Randall Flagg

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,998 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 02:32 PM

Better defense? lol not yet... give them a week  :ph34r:

I'm just joshin haha

I think it might play out where Vegas is a bit too not-terrible to get a top 3 or 4 draft lottery slot though. 

#13 Tondas

Tondas

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 02:35 PM

Youngster ;) .  I remember the expansion 1970 Sabres (was a 9 year old).  I get your point, though.  Hearing all the behind-the-scenes stuff is fascinating.  And the salary cap era really adds another dimension of creativity.  In JBOT I trust (until I see what coach he hires). 

Edited by Tondas, 12 June 2017 - 02:35 PM.

#14 Thorny

Thorny

Supreme Mugwump

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,712 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 03:02 PM

No movement clauses are kind of a joke. Look at the Phaneuf instance. When a team asks a player to waive their NMC, that puts the player in a really difficult position. Can the guy really refuse, knowing their team doesn't want them?

#15 MattPie

MattPie

J-Bot, U-Bot, and We-Bot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,209 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 03:21 PM

I'm just joshin haha

I think it might play out where Vegas is a bit too not-terrible to get a top 3 or 4 draft lottery slot though.

It wouldn't surprise me if they finish at 25th +- 2 spots. They'll have a roster of NHL players (which is better than some teams), but they're all going to be players that are 2nd-3rd line and 2nd pair D at best. OK, but who is going to score goals and who will match up against top lines?

No movement clauses are kind of a joke. Look at the Phaneuf instance. When a team asks a player to waive their NMC, that puts the player in a really difficult position. Can the guy really refuse, knowing their team doesn't want them?

Depends, right? Some players would be fine with the question, reject it, and go back to work.

Edited by MattPie, 12 June 2017 - 03:22 PM.

#16 dudacek

dudacek

...browsing the internet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,727 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 03:28 PM

I think Vegas is more conscious of their future than a lot of people are giving them credit for.
They won't pick the team that gives then the best chance to win this fall.
They will pick a team that gives them the best package of assets to set them up for ten years of success.

That means picking players because of the promise of picks, or that they can flip for picks.
And, yes, it will mean an element of tanking.

I can't see any way, however, that McPhee will hand Gallant a worse team than the one Tim Murray gave Ted Nolan.

#17 BRAWNDO

BRAWNDO

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,212 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 03:33 PM

MAF has a modified No Trade List with a total of 12 Teams listed.

Per David Pagotta of the 4th Period the only known team of the 12 on the list is Buffalo

#18 ShadowLiger

ShadowLiger

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 03:37 PM

Per David Pagotta of the 4th Period the only known team of the 12 on the list is Buffalo

Thank god. 

#19 nfreeman

nfreeman

All I want is everything you got.

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,893 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 04:32 PM

Here's a thread for non-Sabres expansion draft action.

Fire at will. 

#20 ShadowLiger

ShadowLiger

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 04:35 PM

I'm just joshin haha

that's why I said give them a week lol

#21 dudacek

dudacek

...browsing the internet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,727 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 04:43 PM

Thank God.

EDIT: LOL, Liger beats me to it.

Edited by dudacek, 12 June 2017 - 04:43 PM.

#22 Thorny

Thorny

Supreme Mugwump

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,712 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 04:52 PM

I think Vegas is more conscious of their future than a lot of people are giving them credit for.
They won't pick the team that gives then the best chance to win this fall.
They will pick a team that gives them the best package of assets to set them up for ten years of success.
That means picking players because of the promise of picks, or that they can flip for picks.
And, yes, it will mean an element of tanking.
I can't see any way, however, that McPhee will hand Gallant a worse team than the one Tim Murray gave Ted Nolan.

Likely a ton of truth in this.

#23 JohnnyK

JohnnyK

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 04:57 PM

Best off season ever!!!!

VGK moves will have a domino effect all over the league!

ps trade or sign Kane now!!!

#24 tom webster

tom webster

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,188 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 08:39 PM

Just because a team asks a player to waive clause doesn't mean they don't want him. They could just be betting that Vegas won't take that player and by waiving NMC the team can protect someone else.

#25 Thorny

Thorny

Supreme Mugwump

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,712 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 09:19 PM

Just because a team asks a player to waive clause doesn't mean they don't want him. They could just be betting that Vegas won't take that player and by waiving NMC the team can protect someone else.

The inference there from the player can easily be that the team is more willing to lose him, than someone or everyone else they protected. Unless they have a deal in place with Vegas or an insistence from Vegas that Phaneuf won't be selected, they run the risk of him being taken. That they'd be willing to risk it for you and not others could be seen as a slight on your abilities.

I'm not saying this is the case even half the time, but there's no doubt it can lead to players being put in a tough place by being asked to relinquish a bargained for agreeement.

And not all players would be offended by it. Of course, it would depend on the player.

#26 apuszczalowski

apuszczalowski

Commander of the Armies of the North

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,255 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 07:07 AM

From what I heard yesterday, i thought most teams were going to he asking their players with nmc or ntcs to waive them for the expansion draft.

In some cases, asking guys to waive theirs can just be teams looking to keep their options open in case they get an unbelievable deal and not that they are actively looking to move the player.

#27 kas23

kas23

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 07:16 AM

From what I heard yesterday, i thought most teams were going to he asking their players with nmc or ntcs to waive them for the expansion draft.

In some cases, asking guys to waive theirs can just be teams looking to keep their options open in case they get an unbelievable deal and not that they are actively looking to move the player.

This would seem more reasonable if teams are at least asking to remove NMCs for every player instead of just singling out certain players to ask.

#28 shrader

shrader

Enduring tortures most of which rhyme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,689 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 07:49 AM

You saw one right here in Buffalo just a couple years ago.

#29 BRAWNDO

BRAWNDO

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,212 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 12:27 PM

From Mc Kenzie

It's believed ANA has a pre-arranged deal in place with VGK so it isn't necessary to ask Kevin Bieksa to waive his NMC.

#30 apuszczalowski

apuszczalowski

Commander of the Armies of the North

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,255 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 12:52 PM

This would seem more reasonable if teams are at least asking to remove NMCs for every player instead of just singling out certain players to ask.

they may be and it's just not being reported because that player being asked isn't a big deal. Fluery was asked to waive his months ago and it just came out now

#31 WildCard

WildCard

Gunner's Mate First Class: Philip A$$hole

• Members
  • 20,347 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 01:08 PM

TSN’s Bob McKenzie suggested on Tuesday morning that Phaneuf has declined to waive his no-movement clause in order for the Senators to expose him in the upcoming draft, leaving them with one fewer spot to protect a younger player.

This leaves Ottawa in a bind.

Ottawa is going to protect defenseman Erik Karlsson; that part isn’t even a question. The blue-liner and team captain is the cornerstone of the franchise and is a non-negotiable piece for the team.

On offense, the team needs to protect Derick Brassard, Mike Hoffman, Mark Stone, and Kyle Turris. If they want to hold on to anyone else, they have to limit their defensive protection list to only three players — meaning that between Cody Ceci, Marc Methot and Mark Borowiecki, only one will be protection-eligible.

Losing Borowiecki, by all statistical measures, is no big disaster, should the Vegas Golden Knights select the stay-at-home presence. Choosing between Ceci and Methot won’t be easy, though, making the Phaneuf decision less than ideal.

https://www.fanragsp...ain-nmc-ottawa/

Edited by WildCard, 13 June 2017 - 01:08 PM.

#32 sabreguy

sabreguy

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 02:09 PM

Here's a thread for non-Sabres expansion draft action.

Fire at will. 

How did you know his name was Will.... :lol:

#33 pi2000

pi2000

The Church of Mouls... er Matthews

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,329 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 02:32 PM

So.  When is all this "wheeling and dealing" going to happen?  

They only have until Sat 5p ET (trade freeze).   

#34 BRAWNDO

BRAWNDO

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,212 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 02:34 PM

Per Pagnotta

So by sounds of things, Vegas has deals in place with Anaheim, Chicago and Columbus so far, related to the X-draft, with more coming.

#35 Lanny

Lanny

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 03:33 PM

Lawless mentioned yesterday that Vegas may hold off on announcing deals to avoid setting a market 

#36 Thorny

Thorny

Supreme Mugwump

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,712 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 04:41 PM

It's not going to happen. Barely anyone of note will be dealt, because teams find a way to keep these guys. The days of frenzied trading is over. It's why I always cringe when people say it's ok to keep stringently drafting BPA exclusively, cause we can easily just trade our surplus at one position for another. So much easier said than done.

You want a top pair defender, you'll have to draft him. You'll see random outbursts like last year when Hall and Subban were dealt in the same day, but trades like that are few and far between now.

Our best bet is to draft the best d-man available at 8, and sign a couple UFA stop gaps. Our D won't be much improved next season, making playoffs unlikely, but that's the hole Murray left us in on defence. It's a mess, and hopefully the guy we draft at 8 develops into a true stud.

#37 pi2000

pi2000

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,329 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 05:04 PM

It's not going to happen. Barely anyone of note will be dealt, because teams find a way to keep these guys. The days of frenzied trading is over. It's why I always cringe when people say it's ok to keep stringently drafting BPA exclusively, cause we can easily just trade our surplus at one position for another. So much easier said than done.

You want a top pair defender, you'll have to draft him. You'll see random outbursts like last year when Hall and Subban were dealt in the same day, but trades like that are few and far between now.

Our best bet is to draft the best d-man available at 8, and sign a couple UFA stop gaps. Our D won't be much improved next season, making playoffs unlikely, but that's the hole Murray left us in on defence. It's a mess, and hopefully the guy we draft at 8 develops into a true stud.

He was shitcanned before he could fix it.   He knew it was priority #1 this offseason, but he didn't have the chance.   Folks forget that he inherited one of the worst all time teams in recent memory... two offseaons wasn't enough to address all the needs... he didn't do anything wrong IMO.

#38 Thorny

Thorny

Supreme Mugwump

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,712 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 05:17 PM

He was shitcanned before he could fix it.   He knew it was priority #1 this offseason, but he didn't have the chance.   Folks forget that he inherited one of the worst all time teams in recent memory... two offseaons wasn't enough to address all the needs... he didn't do anything wrong IMO.

It's true that he did state it was his intention to fix it this summer. I'll give him that, but it's hard to say if he would have been able to achieve anything of significance on that front. Surely, if good D are to be had, Botterill would be all over it as well.

#39 pi2000

pi2000

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,329 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 01:50 AM

Report is CHI shopping Kane, mentioned NJD, CAR and BUF as interested parties.

#40 kas23

kas23

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 06:20 AM

Report is CHI shopping Kane, mentioned NJD, CAR and BUF as interested parties.

This has Russ Brandon written all over it.