Photo

New HC Watch

• Please log in to reply
521 replies to this topic

Poll: Pick Your Head Coach

Candidates

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#321 Woods-Racer

Woods-Racer

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,738 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 09:46 AM

Listening to WGR on Thursday or Friday and PHam was on. Doesn't like Toccet as coach either. Bad fit. I looked for the audio and couldn't find it.

#322 respk

respk

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 239 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 10:10 AM

Not sure what the point of this post is.  Do you think Tocchet should be DQ'd for life from HC positions? 

Not from all HC positions, just any HC position with the Sabres.  When the owner comes out with a mantra of "Discipline, structure, communication and character." I don't believe you hire a guy who was convicted of gambling charges and banned from the league. 

#323 sabills

sabills

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 10:13 AM

Listening to WGR on Thursday or Friday and PHam was on. Doesn't like Toccet as coach either. Bad fit. I looked for the audio and couldn't find it.

In lieu of Hamilton's audio, here is mine:

#324 nfreeman

nfreeman

All I want is everything you got.

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,751 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 10:14 AM

Only if Botterill signs Vanek.

Very nice.

#325 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,518 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 10:21 AM

Not from all HC positions, just any HC position with the Sabres. When the owner comes out with a mantra of "Discipline, structure, communication and character." I don't believe you hire a guy who was convicted of gambling charges and banned from the league.

My 2 year old could have pieced this together. Can he offer insight on anything, ever?

#326 BRAWNDO

BRAWNDO

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,907 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 11:43 AM

Here's PHam Audio from yesterday.

http://d3efjls8gnbg8...gr550.hosted.cx

Start at 10:35 for his coach thoughts

#327 Huckleberry

Huckleberry

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,953 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 11:46 AM

Only if Botterill signs Vanek. 

I wouldn't mind Vanek back, 20+ goals more :P

#328 GASabresFan

GASabresFan

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 11:47 AM

Lets bring back Pommers after he gets bought out by Minn.

#329 Huckleberry

Huckleberry

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,953 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 12:17 PM

Lets bring back Pommers after he gets bought out by Minn.

Imagine this.

Nylander - O'Reilly - Pomminstein

Vanek - Eichel - Okposo

Kane - Reinhart - Bailey

#330 ShadowLiger

ShadowLiger

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 12:21 PM

Imagine this.

Nylander - O'Reilly - Pomminstein

Vanek - Eichel - Okposo

Kane - Reinhart - Bailey

Vanek doesn't back check, skate hard, dig pucks out of the corners. He shoots well and deflects well. I want him nowhere near the speedy Eichel. Hell no. So much ###### no to this I can't put it in text. 

#331 ShadowLiger

ShadowLiger

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 12:54 PM

Oh and hell no to pominvulle. I don't want losers back on the team

#332 Huckleberry

Huckleberry

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,953 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 01:10 PM

Oh and hell no to pominvulle. I don't want losers back on the team

I don't know, out of Baptiste, bailey, fasching , nylander we need at least 2/4 to show up next year.

If none of them make it, getting pommer or vanek back might not be bad at all.

#333 ShadowLiger

ShadowLiger

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 02:47 PM

I don't know, out of Baptiste, bailey, fasching , nylander we need at least 2/4 to show up next year.

If none of them make it, getting pommer or vanek back might not be bad at all.

Absolutely not. This is a terrible idea. I am not bringing back a failed core to my core. They are past their primes and while I love both of them as players, there is no reason to think they have a spot on this team. Again, not a chance and hell I bring back anyone from those teams to play for me.

#334 Huckleberry

Huckleberry

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,953 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 02:56 PM

Absolutely not. This is a terrible idea. I am not bringing back a failed core to my core. They are past their primes and while I love both of them as players, there is no reason to think they have a spot on this team. Again, not a chance and hell I bring back anyone from those teams to play for me.

We are signing Miller to :P

#335 ShadowLiger

ShadowLiger

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 03:02 PM

We are signing Miller to :P

We should not sign Jack, Sam or O'Reilly then and bring back Ruff too!

I am sorry I really hate when people are like "let's bring back Ruff or this former player" when they are older and they aren't going to contribute here. Vanek is the fast, dig it out of the corners puck possessor I want anywhere near Jack Eichel. Pominville was a former captain and I want that nowhere near my locker room.

Vanek's corsi at even strength sucks. I have no desire to upgrade Matt Moulson. I want a possession driver who is digging pucks out of the corner or rushing them into the zone to either shoot or feed to Jack. Jack is hungry.

#336 GASabresFan

GASabresFan

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 03:25 PM

The case for Pommers. Take away the fact that he is a former Sabre and look at his resume objectively.
1) I think JBot is going to sign at least one veteran forward for this team. He could re-sign 38 year old Gionta or go another direction.
2) Pommers is 34, has 662 pts in over 900 career NHL games and appeared in the playoffs in 9 of his 13 seasons.
3) He had solid campaign last season with 13g and 47 pts. All 13 goals were scored at even strength, which would have been 3rd best on the Sabres.
4) If bought out and given his relationship w JBot he might come here for a couple of years at a very reasonble 2.5 per.
5) He also kill penalties and can play up or down a lineup.
6) He'd be great RW insurance if Bailey and Baptiste aren't ready.

Edited by GASabresFan, 13 May 2017 - 03:25 PM.

#337 Ronzer

Ronzer

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 03:52 PM

I think Ron Rolston could work wonders with the talent on this roster.

#338 Taro T

Taro T

It leads you here despite your destination under the MW tonight.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,044 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 05:32 PM

I think Ron Rolston could work wonders with the talent on this roster.

:huh:

Buffalo's or Ra-cha-cha's?

#339 ShadowLiger

ShadowLiger

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 05:37 PM

:huh:

Buffalo's or Ra-cha-cha's?

Neither

#340 Let's Go B-Lo

Let's Go B-Lo

Mucker. Grinder.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 06:18 PM

Ugh. Grown men named Todd. 

Why is the carpet wet, Todd?

Not sure what the point of this post is.  Do you think Tocchet should be DQ'd for life from HC positions? 

I'm not hiring him to coach my team, ever.  Whether someone else does or not is their business.

#341 Saratoga Sabres Fan

Saratoga Sabres Fan

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 06:18 PM

Why is the carpet wet, Todd?

I'm not hiring him to coach my team, ever. Whether someone else does or not is their business.

I don't know Margo!

#342 BRAWNDO

BRAWNDO

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,907 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 11:44 AM

Another article about Housley. Mentions how Ekholm and Ellis improved under his tutelage and that Risto or Ekblad could see similar benefits.

https://sports.yahoo...-152520840.html

#343 Sabre fan

Sabre fan

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 12:37 PM

gotta think Howie has the inside track being a ex-Sabre (as is GMJBotto) and has shown and proven he is no doubt ready to be a head coach. I also have to admit I do not mind if Pommer gets bought out and we bring him back at a good price.Not so sure about Vanek though...or Lindy for that matter

#344 GASabresFan

GASabresFan

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 07:56 PM

Another article about Housley. Mentions how Ekholm and Ellis improved under his tutelage and that Risto or Ekblad could see similar benefits.

With youngsters like McCabe and Risto already here, Guhle arriving soon, Antipin possibly as well, plus prospects like Borgen and Fitzgerald it probably couldn't hurt to hire a guy with a proven track record of developing D.  

#345 Taro T

Taro T

It leads you here despite your destination under the MW tonight.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,044 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 08:52 PM

With youngsters like McCabe and Risto already here, Guhle arriving soon, Antipin possibly as well, plus prospects like Borgen and Fitzgerald it probably couldn't hurt to hire a guy with a proven track record of developing D.

But, did he develop the D or did Fenton & his boss just simply give him guys that would have excelled even under Goober's system?

#346 Andrew Amerk

Andrew Amerk

Heart Means Everything.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 10:01 PM

I voted for Uncle Phil.

#347 GASabresFan

GASabresFan

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 11:37 PM

But, did he develop the D or did Fenton & his boss just simply give him guys that would have excelled even under Goober's system?

According to the Yahoo article Brawndo posted, Housley was a key factor in the development of Ekholm and Ellis.  

#348 kas23

kas23

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 07:49 AM

As Buffalo sports fans we are well acquainted with how a coach's system can impede the development of our players. Great coaches know how to get the most of a player's talent. Saying that Housley had little to do with the Preds defensive success is like saying Babs and DD would've saw the same results from our players last season. Heck, even if we get a coach who does nothing and just doesn't impede the growth of our players would be a winner in my book.

#349 sabills

sabills

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 08:30 AM

Realistically there's no way to know that. Is it the coach? The GM? Were the players better than scouted? Did they learn something from an old hermit on a mountain top somewhere? All of the above? No way to be sure.

#350 ShadowLiger

ShadowLiger

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 09:52 AM

Realistically there's no way to know that. Is it the coach? The GM? Were the players better than scouted? Did they learn something from an old hermit on a mountain top somewhere? All of the above? No way to be sure.

True. The players though do love Phil, we know that at least. Can't remember a player ever fawning over DB. 

#351 WildCard

WildCard

Gunner's Mate First Class: Philip A$$hole

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,837 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 10:39 AM

@ChuckGormleyNHL
Capitals asst coach Todd Reirden in the hunt for vacant head coaching jobs in @BuffaloSabres and @FlaPanthers.

That's a legit twitter account

#352 sabills

sabills

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 10:58 AM

@ChuckGormleyNHL
Capitals asst coach Todd Reirden in the hunt for vacant head coaching jobs in @BuffaloSabres and @FlaPanthers.

That's a legit twitter account

Quick, somebody tell me how to feel about this person who's name I've never heard before.

#353 WildCard

WildCard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,837 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 11:12 AM

only 1.5k followers, not sure how legit it is. Seems like the Caps version of SabresBuzz

@Stars_AndSticks
REPORT: #Capitals associate head coach Todd Reirden has interview with #Panthers, still in running for #Sabres.

Edited by WildCard, 15 May 2017 - 11:12 AM.

#354 pi2000

pi2000

The Church of Mouls... er Matthews

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,163 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 11:26 AM

Quick, somebody tell me how to feel about this person who's name I've never heard before.

He would be a good hire.   Former player (defense) bounced between the NHL and minor leagues, 45 years old.

Players love him.  

Was the HC at WB (under J-BOT?) for 3 seasons.    Has been an assistant with PIT (under DB) and WSH the past 7 seasons.

article from 2016:

http://www.sportsnet...head-coach-nhl/

.... "(in 2015-16 with WSH) Reirden oversaw the fifth-ranked power play in the NHL this season and ran a defence that thrived despite injuries. Trotz said Reirden deserves all the credit for the growth of young defencemen and called him 'a really bright hockey mind.' That's an opinion shared by many of his colleagues. "

..."He's big on habits and really consistent in his approach to how he wants the game played and what he likes to see you do," Niskanen said. "He's a constant communicator. He's really good at that."

Reirden picked up pieces of his coaching philosophy along the way. He considers McLellan, Chicago Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville, former Columbus Blue Jackets coach Todd Richards, Bylsma and Richards among his biggest influences."

... "For me it will be the importance of the honesty that Joel Quenneville had and the ability of Todd McLellan and Todd Richards to really understand and how to implement a system and how to set players up for success within that system," said Reirden, who played for Quenneville in St. Louis. "It's going to be a little bit of a culmination of all different people that I've been (around) in this game as a professional now for 20 years."

#355 WildCard

WildCard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,837 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 11:30 AM

Where is the little dash of what he takes from Byslma in the end there?

@NHLonNBCSports
Report: Panthers to interview Reirden for head coaching gig

#356 pi2000

pi2000

The Church of Mouls... er Matthews

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,163 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 11:30 AM

another article...

http://www.thehockey...oaching-vacancy

"Reirden has been in charge of Washington’s defense and the Capitals were one of the best playoff teams in terms of shot suppression during the first two rounds.... During the regular season, Washington had the No. 1 defense in the NHL – they were 21st overall when Reirden arrived from Pittsburgh in 2014."

...shot suppression is certainly an area BUF needs to show drastic improvement in order to reach the playoffs.

#357 WildCard

WildCard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,837 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 11:53 AM

A native of Deerfield, Illinois, Reirden was drafted 242nd overall in the 12th round of the 1990 NHL Entry Draft by the New Jersey Devils.

He would go on to skate out in a collective 183 career NHL games after playing NCAA hockey at Bowling Green State University, but the low number is a poor representation of his lengthy pro hockey career. He would ultimately spend time skating out professionally from 1994 to 2007, ending in Europe with a season spent playing for Austria’s Graz EC.

Upon retiring on the ice, the former defenseman made an almost immediate transition to coaching. He spent his first year post-retirement behind the bench at his alma mater, then spent two years with the AHL’s Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins before making the jump to coaching at the NHL level.

While he’s never served as an NHL head coach, the AHL Penguins made the postseason in both of his years as a head coach, and his seven years as an NHL coach – first as an assistant, then as an associate this past year – have all been with playoff teams. He coached with the Pittsburgh Penguins from 2010 to 2014, and has been with the Capitals since then.

https://www.fanragsp...h-todd-reirden/

So he was Byslma's assistant coach. Anyone concerned with that?

Edited by WildCard, 15 May 2017 - 11:54 AM.

#358 WildCard

WildCard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,837 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 12:05 PM

@NicholsOnHockey
LeBrun: Source told me today that #FlaPanthers "are no longer waiting on anyone else still in the playoffs" for head coach search. 

Sorry if this was already posted

#359 Doohickie

Doohickie

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,427 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 12:11 PM

According to the Yahoo article Brawndo posted, Housley was a key factor in the development of Ekholm and Ellis.  

Yahoo is a conglomeration of other news outlets and clickbaity #fakenews.  I tend to not believe anything I read there.

#360 sabills

sabills

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 12:14 PM

https://www.fanragsp...h-todd-reirden/

So he was Byslma's assistant coach. Anyone concerned with that?

yuuuuuuup

@NicholsOnHockey
LeBrun: Source told me today that #FlaPanthers "are no longer waiting on anyone else still in the playoffs" for head coach search. 

Sorry if this was already posted

Good, go take this dude and leave Housely to us.