Photo

New HC Watch

• Please log in to reply
521 replies to this topic

Poll: Pick Your Head Coach

Candidates

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#401 Touched by Boyes

Touched by Boyes

Honorary Canadian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,082 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:19 AM

From Steve Simmons

Most people on the inside I talk to are expecting either Rick Tocchet or Phil Housley to be the next coach of the Buffalo Sabres.

If the Sabres were to land my #1 coaching candidate (Housley) along with my #2 GM candidate (Botterill) that would be pretty sweet.

Although there is a huge divide between Housley (whom I love) and Tocchet (meh/JAG). Here's hoping.

#402 TrueBlueGED

TrueBlueGED

#fancystats

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,505 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:23 AM

I'm cheering for the Ducks big time. Get Nashville out and get Housley in for an interview asap.

Unfortunately, this necessitates cheering for Kesler and Perry. I just can't do it.

#403 WildCard

WildCard

Gunner's Mate First Class: Philip A$$hole

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,837 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:26 AM

Unfortunately, this necessitates cheering for Kesler and Perry. I just can't do it.

I think I'd hate them if they were in the East, but as it stands I really don't care about them. Plus I really like that defense, want their expenses to go up, want Getzlaf to get another (he has been the MVP this post), and really want Housley. 

#404 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:31 AM

I think that Tocchet is the kind of hard nosed and no nonsense coach that the Sabres need right now.

So, I have no doubt that it will be anyone but him, which is OK too, as there are a number of good candidates.

That said, JBOT has spoken very highly of Rick, so you never know.

=====

And I finally voted in this poll.

I take it the pi voted for himself.

#405 Eleven

Eleven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 28,163 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:36 AM

I'd argue he's an offensive mind from the dman perspective

Exactly why I want him.

#406 pi2000

pi2000

The Church of Mouls... er Matthews

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,163 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:19 AM

If the bolded is true, and it's agree Tocchet did a terrible job at that time (even aside from the horribly bad judgment with the gambling stuff) why the heck would we want him in Buffalo now? 

I really liked Tocchet as a player. I don't see why we need to take a risk on a guy who spectacularly failed in his other attempt at coaching in the NHL. I have to believe there are other candidates with as much upside but without the risk. I don't know if it's Housley or not. 

Botterill knowns Tocchet better than anybody here, so I would trust that he's the right choice should J-BOT decide that he's the guy for whatever ails this particular group... and based on what J-BOT said in his interviews, he's going to try and get to know the players a bit and get some feedback about what the locker room is like before picking a head coach.

During his time in Tampa, he clashed with his players, lost his room, and was pretty terrible in every regard as a HC. Sure, it was 8 years ago, maybe he's learned. But I don't feel like taking a chance on a candidate with some red flags  

We'll you have to have some faith in your GM that he'll hire the right guy for this group of players.   If he feels that's Tocchet, then so be it, I'd be fine with it.

#407 WildCard

WildCard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,837 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:23 AM

Botterill knowns Tocchet better than anybody here, so I would trust that he's the right choice should J-BOT decide that he's the guy for whatever ails this particular group... and based on what J-BOT said in his interviews, he's going to try and get to know the players a bit and get some feedback about what the locker room is like before picking a head coach.

We'll you have to have some faith in your GM that he'll hire the right guy for this group of players.   If he feels that's Tocchet, then so be it, I'd be fine with it.

I mean, you're not wrong, but again, Murray said all the right things at all the right times, and I loved his eye for talent. He still picked a garbage coach IMO, and stuck by him

#408 Doohickie

Doohickie

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,427 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:45 PM

I mean, you're not wrong, but again, Murray said all the right things at all the right times, and I loved his eye for talent. He still picked a garbage coach IMO, and stuck by him

On the other hand, you might think the new GM would talk to the owner about his perception of mistakes made by the previous GM.

#409 WildCard

WildCard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,837 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:47 PM

On the other hand, you might think the new GM would talk to the owner about his perception of mistakes made by the previous GM.

So we get a good communicator who still draws his plays by the firelight of his cave.

#410 GASabresFan

GASabresFan

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 03:38 PM

Does he hire Tocchet as soon as Ottawa bounces the Pens or does he wait for Housley and the Preds to win the Cup before making a decision.

If Ottawa play the Preds for the Cup will anyone watch?

#411 CallawaySabres

CallawaySabres

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 03:58 PM

Does he hire Tocchet as soon as Ottawa bounces the Pens or does he wait for Housley and the Preds to win the Cup before making a decision.

I still can't believe this has a good chance of happening. Reaching the playoffs would feel like making the Stanley Cup final at this point.......so pathetic

#412 BRAWNDO

BRAWNDO

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,907 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 04:26 PM

Steve Simmons was on GR a few minutes ago, really talked up Tocchet. I was left with the impression that Simmons was campaigning for Tocchet to be hired.

#413 TrueBlueGED

TrueBlueGED

#fancystats

• Members
  • 23,505 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 04:40 PM

If Simmons wants him, I sure as hell don't. I'm embarrassed he was even on WGR. Dude is a fraudulent buffoon.

#414 sabresith

sabresith

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 245 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:06 PM

All its going to take for me, is the hiring of Tocchet to be fully on the fire everybody train. If JBOT has to have him as a coach, it's assistant in Buffalo or I guess head coach in the Roc and that is barely acceptable. Honestly, if JBOT hires Tocchet, I will loose all faith in him as a GM and will simply wait the three years it will take for both of them to be fired, so a competent coach and GM can be brought in.

#415 North Buffalo

North Buffalo

When hell freezes over, I’ll play hockey there too.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,324 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:16 PM

All its going to take for me, is the hiring of Tocchet to be fully on the fire everybody train. If JBOT has to have him as a coach, it's assistant in Buffalo or I guess head coach in the Roc and that is barely acceptable. Honestly, if JBOT hires Tocchet, I will loose all faith in him as a GM and will simply wait the three years it will take for both of them to be fired, so a competent coach and GM can be brought in.

agreed not another Pens retread especially after their effort last nite...

Though not sure TPegs will want someone with Tocchets history given his latest speeches.

#416 sabresith

sabresith

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 245 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:24 PM

agreed not another Pens retread especially after their effort last nite...
Though not sure TPegs will want someone with Tocchets history given his latest speeches.

Haven't been able to catch any of his recent speeches, but I hope your right. Tocchet is at the bottom of the coaching barrel, right there with Dallas Eakins.

#417 North Buffalo

North Buffalo

When hell freezes over, I’ll play hockey there too.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,324 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:34 PM

Doubt he wants any chance of another Penn State on his hands either..

#418 Leaf Blower

Leaf Blower

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 06:12 PM

every. last. Minute.

#419 BRAWNDO

BRAWNDO

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,907 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:08 PM

If Simmons wants him, I sure as hell don't. I'm embarrassed he was even on WGR. Dude is a fraudulent buffoon.

I listened to the interview again and Bulldog brought up Tocchet's transgressions and that Pegula would not hire him because of character concerns. Simmons response was that Pegula is not making the decision. He quickly back tracked and mentioned that Botterill would be able to convince the Pegulas that he learned from his mistakes and would be the best choice.

Called Housley the squeaky clean candidate with minimal HC experience.

My hope is that since Pegula (by his own admission) reads TBN and listens to GR that he has heard and read enough on why Housley is the right choice.

#420 GASabresFan

GASabresFan

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:23 PM

Steve Simmons was on GR a few minutes ago, really talked up Tocchet. I was left with the impression that Simmons was campaigning for Tocchet to be hired.

Simmons probably has a small wager on it.

#421 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,518 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 11:00 PM

Exactly why I want him.

Larry Bird is probably the greatest shooter of all time. He never coached anyone to shoot better.

#422 Buffalo Wings

Buffalo Wings

Not a Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:21 AM

Larry Bird is probably the greatest shooter of all time. He never coached anyone to shoot better.

It's hard to coach greatness into other people - guys like Gretzky, Michael Jordan may not be great coaches because their instincts were phenomenal and that's nearly impossible to teach. Bird's Pacers teams were pretty good, but I don't know how much of that is a product of Bird's coaching or the talent he had.

#423 kas23

kas23

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:27 AM

But, Housley has taught defensemen to be offensive. End of analogy.

#424 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,518 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:45 AM

But, Housley has taught defensemen to be offensive. End of analogy.

So all those Nashville D were bums pre-Housley?

#425 WildCard

WildCard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,837 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:46 AM

So all those Nashville D were bums pre-Housley?

Heard on WGR Eillis and...Weber? Some other prominent d-man there at least, were playing poorly and the organization believed they had the talent so they brought in Housley specifically to fix it

#426 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,518 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:49 AM

Heard on WGR Eillis and...Weber? Some other prominent d-man there at least, were playing poorly and the organization believed they had the talent so they brought in Housley specifically to fix it

Ok I'm sold. I'm sure someone with more time on their hands can illicit the data that proves it.

#427 FuhrFury

FuhrFury

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 12:13 PM

Housley currently leads Tochett 50 to 1 in the SS poll. More people here want the owner to be head coach than Tochett. More people here trust a SS poster to coach the Sabres than Tochett. I'm just saying: Tochett isn't very popular these days.

#428 pi2000

pi2000

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,163 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 12:46 PM

did he teach Subban to wave his stick at that pass from Perry?

#429 Wyldnwoody44

Wyldnwoody44

"Have no fear of perfection, You'll never reach it"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 12:50 PM

Ouch, yeah that one hurt

#430 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

That Nostalgic Olfactory Blend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,938 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:04 PM

nice

#431 sabresith

sabresith

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 245 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:18 PM

Housley currently leads Tochett 50 to 1 in the SS poll. More people here want the owner to be head coach than Tochett. More people here trust a SS poster to coach the Sabres than Tochett. I'm just saying: Tochett isn't very popular these days.

I'll take Pi any day over Tocchet and that is the truth!!!

#432 pi2000

pi2000

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,163 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:30 PM

Blind leading the blind.

At some point you have to trust the GM knows more than the average fan does about the candidates and support the decision  regardless of who it is.

I haven't seen any evidence, other than a few quotes from players, that Housley would be the superior choice to Tocchet.   

Housley:

- players like him

- NSH D is having a good year offensively

- Housley runs the PP; they were ranked 16th in the league this past season

- no previous HC experience (at any level?)

- 4 seasons as NSH assistant

- no Cup rings

- a career -53

Tocchet:

- players/coaches like him

- he ran the 4th ranked PP in the league

- short stint as HC of TBL during a mini-rebuild

- 7 years experience as assistant HC

- has Stanely Cup rings as a player and coach

- a career +82

That said, Rierden would be my choice based on articles I've read... again I don't know any of these guys personally, neither do any of you.   

Edited by pi2000, 19 May 2017 - 04:06 PM.

#433 ShadowLiger

ShadowLiger

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:43 PM

having a Stanley Cup ring as a player means absolutely nothing. There isn't even a correlation there. 

#434 pi2000

pi2000

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,163 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:54 PM

having a Stanley Cup ring as a player means absolutely nothing. There isn't even a correlation there. 

They know what it takes... which for a guy leading a young group of inexperienced players does provide some value.

Tocchet also won a ring as an assistant coach last season.

Botterill is not Murray, and I don't really understand your point here...   Are you saying that no matter who the GM is, no matter if he says all the right things or not, you still won't trust who he picks as a HC because of what happened with Murray and Bylsma?   

#435 dudacek

dudacek

Bear poker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,477 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 04:13 PM

Didn't Housley coach a US WJC champion team?

#436 WildCard

WildCard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,837 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 04:57 PM

They know what it takes... which for a guy leading a young group of inexperienced players does provide some value.

Tocchet also won a ring as an assistant coach last season.

Botterill is not Murray, and I don't really understand your point here... Are you saying that no matter who the GM is, no matter if he says all the right things or not, you still won't trust who he picks as a HC because of what happened with Murray and Bylsma?

No. My point is, and you can look at any sport with any FO, they can say all the right things and still do the opposite

#437 We've

We've

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,696 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 05:24 PM

Cy Hgsn was a WJC star. 

:nana:

#438 BRAWNDO

BRAWNDO

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,907 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 05:51 PM

Yes and he was HC of Stillwater HS in Minnesota for 10 years as well.

Housley also has not plead guilty to running an illegal gambling operation and was never arrested by Custom Officials for attempting to bring excess amounts of cash in the country.

You cannot preach wanting to build character into your organization and then turn around and hire a coach with a two year ban from the NHL on his resume.

I have no idea what type of coach Housley will be, but I do know the Sabres weakest position is their defense something Housley excels at coaching. The fact his style of defense promotes offense is good enough for me

#439 GASabresFan

GASabresFan

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:43 PM

Yes and he was HC of Stillwater HS in Minnesota for 10 years as well.
Housley also has not plead guilty to running an illegal gambling operation and was never arrested by Custom Officials for attempting to bring excess amounts of cash in the country.
You cannot preach wanting to build character into your organization and then turn around and hire a coach with a two year ban from the NHL on his resume.
I have no idea what type of coach Housley will be, but I do know the Sabres weakest position is their defense something Housley excels at coaching. The fact his style of defense promotes offense is good enough for me

Exactly!

#440 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 09:02 AM

Or to be the great actor that he is?

Cy Hgsn was a WJC star. 

:nana:

:flirt:

:flirt: