164 replies to this topic

#161 Drunkard

Drunkard

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,989 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 10:34 AM

He either did change the system in his mind but it looks the same to us ("but the center now looks to receive that 95 ft pass on the *right* side of the ice!"), or when the going got tough, he went back to his safe-place. Either way, I hate his system and I grow ever more weary of watching it.

Seems logical. I'm sick of DB. I've watched maybe 10 or so games this season and half of those I didn't even watch in their entirety. If he's back again next season I'll watch fewer games than TM utters word announcing our next high draft pick.

Edited by Drunkard, 23 March 2017 - 10:36 AM.

#162 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

Hot Daniel is Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,535 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 10:47 AM

Seems logical. I'm sick of DB. I've watched maybe 10 or so games this season and half of those I didn't even watch in their entirety. If he's back again next season I'll watch fewer games than TM utters word announcing our next high draft pick.

I like the cut of your anger's gib.

#163 TrueBlueGED

TrueBlueGED

#fancystats

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,451 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 11:00 AM

I don't think we can hand wave Bylsma as the fault of "those meddling Pegulas"

When Babcock went south (or, more accurately, north) the brain trust immediately targeted Bylsma. They discovered the interest was mutual, they liked what he had to say and they offered him a ridiculous contract.

Whether Terry led that charge, or Tim, both were clearly involved and there has been no sign that Tim was not fully on board.

Didn't Murray also say he had reached out to Bylsma and they had contact before the Babcock decision even happened?

#164 MattPie

MattPie

J-Bot, U-Bot, and We-Bot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,135 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 04:44 PM

Didn't Murray also say he had reached out to Bylsma and they had contact before the Babcock decision even happened?

Realistically, I'm sure they had contact with most of the available coaches at the time. Who knows what the depth of that contact was.

#165 GASabresFan

GASabresFan

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 01:01 PM

After the team has gone 2-8-2 in their last 12 despite GMTM's pep talk and it's becoming a fait accompli that DD is going to be shown the door for this team's lack of improvement in the standings, the next and only question left is should GMTM keep his job as well?

This is highly unlikely but there is growing body of evidence that he may not be the man for the job or at the very least, PSE needs to hire someone to mentor him like Tor did for Shanny.  

1) Roster is hopelessly flawed.  This is mostly about the 4 lousy D he acquired, and his failure to properly build D depth, but also the abundance of forwards that aren't really helping the team.
2) Poor professional player evaluation.  Look no further then the D.  
3) Mediocre trades and acquisitions.  Poor trades like the McNabb and Pysyk deals headline the list, but with the except of ROR, all the major trades have some questionable aspects like the taking on Legwand and his cap hit in the Lehner deal.  Add the length and size of the Moulson contract.  Right now the Sabres are saddled with 4 terrible contracts to the tune of 20 mil and all were either given or acquired by GMTM despite only 3 years on the job.  Frankly only FA acquisitions Gionta and Okposo are earning their paycheck.
4) Bombastic personality and attitude.  His pep talk failed to inspire the team, especially when you consider he also recently blamed the players for a bad road trip in the media.  They may not be playing hard for DD anymore, but this may also be a response to playing for GMTM.  This might also be hurting his ability to recruit, especially younger players to Buffalo, such as Vesey, Bayreuther, Caggulia, and now Petersen.  With Eichel and Risto to play with you'd think people would be clamoring to come here.
5) Rebuild plan might also be hopelessly flawed.  He told everyone that he could build a contender in 3 years.  His plan to trade assets for youngish vets to move the team into contention faster has clearly failed, mostly because he done a crappy job of acquiring these youngish vets.  Kane, Bogo, Franson, Kuilkov, ROR, Lehner and Okposo were all part of that plan.  None of the defenders have worked and their is reason to worry that Kane might want out and that Lehner, although much improved, has some significant flaws in his game to keep him from being the anchor for the team long-term.  He has now retreated from his earlier statements.  No surprise, but now if he goes toward the traditional rebuild, he has traded away significant assets that should have been in place.  
6) He hired DD ;) .  

Once he pushes DD out the door, the 2nd coach he'll have fired, the focus will be solely on him.  He created this mess and now he has no choice but to own it.  If we don't make significant progress under his new coach, there is no one left to blame is there?

And the winner is....... Thanks TM. See ya!