Photo

Sabres 2018 winter classic

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#81 North Buffalo

North Buffalo

When hell freezes over, I’ll play hockey there too.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,424 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 01:47 PM

Since this is technically a Sabres home game, shouldn't Sabres season ticket holders get first crack at tickets?
1. Sabres Season holders
2. Rangers Season Holders
3. Mets Season Holders
4. General Public
There may be some fine print in Mets season holder contracts that says they get pre-sale access to all events at CITI, but other than that scenario, there's a good argument for Sabres season ticket holders to get in on this early.

Absolutely, not saying its fair, just taking advantage of what is out there. You make too much sense.

#82 Sakman

Sakman

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 02:14 PM

Since this is technically a Sabres home game, shouldn't Sabres season ticket holders get first crack at tickets?

1. Sabres Season holders
3. Mets Season Holders
4. General Public

There may be some fine print in Mets season holder contracts that says they get pre-sale access to all events at CITI, but other than that scenario, there's a good argument for Sabres season ticket holders to get in on this early.

Yes, technically a home game. But I get the feeling the Sabres will be lucky to keep their last line change rights in the game itself, let alone the NHL giving a rat's ass about Sabres season ticket holders. 

But maybe I'm overly pessimistic on this. I mean, they did win the spinning wheel for Perreault back in 1970.

#83 Eleven

Eleven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,365 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 02:59 PM

1. Sabres Season holders
3. Mets Season Holders
4. General Public

I don't really care what they do with Rangers and ###### season ticket holders, but Sabres season ticket holders had better have first crack.  One-to-one seat ratio is fine; I don't think we should be able to buy them all up and resell them, but we absolutely should be able to go, and have our first choice of seats, if we want.

#84 Taro T

Taro T

It leads you here despite your destination under the MW tonight.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,109 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 04:51 PM

I don't really care what they do with Rangers and ###### season ticket holders, but Sabres season ticket holders had better have first crack.  One-to-one seat ratio is fine; I don't think we should be able to buy them all up and resell them, but we absolutely should be able to go, and have our first choice of seats, if we want.

Yep.

But, thanks, Russ. <_<

#85 North Buffalo

North Buffalo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,424 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 11:21 PM

So far one doc has secured 6 seats for me, hes working on more... will know more by next wednesday.... Im taking two and two folks have PMd me.  I have my wife working on another Doc will keep people updated... let me know if so I can keep making requests.

#86 Saratoga Sabres Fan

Saratoga Sabres Fan

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 11:30 PM

So far one doc has secured 6 seats for me, hes working on more... will know more by next wednesday.... Im taking two and two folks have PMd me. I have my wife working on another Doc will keep people updated... let me know if so I can keep making requests.

You are the man! ☺

#87 nfreeman

nfreeman

All I want is everything you got.

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,889 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:18 AM

If any Sabres STHs have the ability to get good seats for this and are interested in helping out fellow SSers, please speak up.  I know I'm interested.

Thanks.

#88 North Buffalo

North Buffalo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,424 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 11:45 AM

If any Sabres STHs have the ability to get good seats for this and are interested in helping out fellow SSers, please speak up.  I know I'm interested.

Thanks.

PM me so i can put you on the list.
hes hoping to get me another 6-8 seats. Will let you know.
And again my wife has access to and Im asking around.

#89 spndnchz

spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,335 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 02:38 PM

Thanks.

Our letter said we have a shot at them but not included in STH package.

#90 MattPie

MattPie

J-Bot, U-Bot, and We-Bot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,209 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 03:11 PM

Does it really work that way? I.e. the league determines where MSG can broadcast Rangers (or Islanders) vs. Sabres games, or what MSG channels DirectTV or the cable company chooses to carry for each package offered to consumers? I live 3 hours from Buffalo and 4 from NYC and get all the Rangers and the Sabres games without any special sports packages.  If I switch providers that may no longer be true.  

If you mean the definition of "in market" vs. "out of market" for NHL game packages (on DirectTV or online) then maybe that is by fiat of the NHL. BuI I have to believe they are drawing the lines to maximize revenue there as well, as opposed to 'fairness'. 

My experience (granted it was a long time ago) was that once you hit Albany the Sabres/Rangers mix starts to tilt towards the Rangers, but Syracuse/Binghamton is still more Sabres area.  I'm sure this is all known in some great detail by somebody at Google or FaceBook. 

On a side note, Binghamton had the B-Rags years ago so it was a mix of Sabres and Rangers fans. Bingo is halfway between NYC and Buffalo, so that would make sense anyway. There are a lot of Ott'wa fans now with the B-Sens having been there for a number of years. Empire Sports was on my cable package and in-market so I could catch all the games.

Edited by MattPie, 17 May 2017 - 03:11 PM.

#91 ShadowLiger

ShadowLiger

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 03:42 PM

It's not the Sabres anything. What a sham. This game isn't in Buffalo but is a home game? Screw you nhl

#92 SwampD

SwampD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,604 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 07:33 PM

It's not the Sabres anything. What a sham. This game isn't in Buffalo but is a home game? Screw you nhl

If I wasn't going to PM North Buffalo to try and get a ticket, I might agree.

NB, I'm in. And I also owe you a proper response to your PM. I wanted to wait till I had the time and then one thing led to another and then blah blah blah,... I'm lame.

Anyway, let's hang news years day!

#93 LTS

LTS

Why I Love Hockey.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,761 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 11:11 AM

Enjoyed reading this...

http://reason.com/bl...s-42-million-ta

In fact, I did not enjoy reading that.  There are a million things wrong with this entire situation.  And the Sabres fans, business partners, and surrounding community are getting hosed because of one less game... all so Richie Rich can get his tax break.

Boycott the Classic.  Buffalo is traditionally one of the highest rated TV markets for NHL events... what if no one watched (won't happen, but you know).

#94 nfreeman

nfreeman

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,889 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:18 PM

Here's a contrary view:  for a 78-point small-market team that hasn't made the playoffs in 7 freaking years to get a spot in the top TV game of the entire regular season is a freaking miracle, a great chance to show off Jack, Kane, ROR, KO, Reino, Risto and Caber to the rest of the NHL and well worth sacrificing one of 41 games at the FNC.

If someone gives you a free Ferrari, you don't complain about having to go to the DMV and register it.

#95 Saratoga Sabres Fan

Saratoga Sabres Fan

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:41 PM

I understand people's frustrations but honestly the Sabres agreed to it, and I'm beyond psyched about the WC. So pumped that were in it!
Also let us not forget that had the 2018 world juniors not been being played in buffalo at around the same time, perhaps this would have been in buffalo.

My perspective is that there is so much going on at once in hockey, all major premiere events, that buffalo is spreading itself thin to accomodate.

#96 Sabres79

Sabres79

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,775 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:45 PM

Here's a contrary view:  for a 78-point small-market team that hasn't made the playoffs in 7 freaking years to get a spot in the top TV game of the entire regular season is a freaking miracle, a great chance to show off Jack, Kane, ROR, KO, Reino, Risto and Caber to the rest of the NHL and well worth sacrificing one of 41 games at the FNC.

If someone gives you a free Ferrari, you don't complain about having to go to the DMV and register it.

Yeah, but. Buffalo moves the ratings needle when the Sabres aren't playing. That it hasn't happened again already is probably a testement to the limit of the cynicism at NBC / in the NHL.

Also, corporate welfare should probably be ended.

#97 North Buffalo

North Buffalo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,424 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:39 PM

If I wasn't going to PM North Buffalo to try and get a ticket, I might agree.
NB, I'm in. And I also owe you a proper response to your PM. I wanted to wait till I had the time and then one thing led to another and then blah blah blah,... I'm lame.
Anyway, let's hang news years day!

got it will you are fourth will keep you informed.

#98 LTS

LTS

Why I Love Hockey.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,761 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:44 AM

It's a contrary view, I'll give you that.  The concept of showing of those players specifically is interesting.  I am sure the NHL banked on showing off the Sabres 2006-2007 roster when they signed them up for the first Winter Classic and that didn't work out so well did it?  

However, your Ferrari analogy doesn't quite hold up to what i was saying.  The businesses who make money from a game being played at FNC care.  So, let's rearrange it to fit a bit better.  I rent a Ferrari for $300/day to a guy who comes into town each Sabres home game.  However, he won't be there for this one.  So, I won't be getting my $300.  Instead he rented from a guy in NYC.  Do I care?  Yes... yes I do.

Then let's talk about how the owners of the Rangers still need their $42 million tax break.  Because they are going to leave NYC?  No way.  They own the building, no way they give up the revenue that comes from ALL the events that get held in that building.

#99 nfreeman

nfreeman

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,889 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:08 AM

It's a contrary view, I'll give you that.  The concept of showing of those players specifically is interesting.  I am sure the NHL banked on showing off the Sabres 2006-2007 roster when they signed them up for the first Winter Classic and that didn't work out so well did it?  

However, your Ferrari analogy doesn't quite hold up to what i was saying.  The businesses who make money from a game being played at FNC care.  So, let's rearrange it to fit a bit better.  I rent a Ferrari for $300/day to a guy who comes into town each Sabres home game.  However, he won't be there for this one.  So, I won't be getting my $300.  Instead he rented from a guy in NYC.  Do I care?  Yes... yes I do.

Then let's talk about how the owners of the Rangers still need their $42 million tax break.  Because they are going to leave NYC?  No way.  They own the building, no way they give up the revenue that comes from ALL the events that get held in that building.

I think the NHL was thrilled with the results of the first WC -- so, yes, I think it did work out well for them.

If your point is that the Sabres fell off the table after Black Sunday -- that had nothing to do with the WC.

My point is that playing in the WC is good for the Sabres -- I was not commenting on whether it is good for the NHL.  Do you not agree that it's good for the Sabres?

As for the Ferrari -- yes, local vendors are hurt by losing a home game.  It's certainly fair to consider the impact on them in evaluating how you feel about this.  My point was that the benefit to the franchise (not the local vendors) far outweighs any harm to the franchise.  This is true regardless of how you feel about the fairness of the Rangers' tax break.

#100 PromoTheRobot

PromoTheRobot

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:54 AM

I'm fine with WC being in NYC, even if it meant losing a home game. Playing in a baseball stadium is a waste of time. If the Sabres played at Coca Cola Field I wouldn't go. All stadium games should be in football stadiums.

#101 LTS

LTS

Why I Love Hockey.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,761 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 10:54 AM

I think the NHL was thrilled with the results of the first WC -- so, yes, I think it did work out well for them.

If your point is that the Sabres fell off the table after Black Sunday -- that had nothing to do with the WC.

My point is that playing in the WC is good for the Sabres -- I was not commenting on whether it is good for the NHL.  Do you not agree that it's good for the Sabres?

As for the Ferrari -- yes, local vendors are hurt by losing a home game.  It's certainly fair to consider the impact on them in evaluating how you feel about this.  My point was that the benefit to the franchise (not the local vendors) far outweighs any harm to the franchise.  This is true regardless of how you feel about the fairness of the Rangers' tax break.

Well, it was the first WC.  The setting was perfect but the ice was not great and the game was impacted.  Barring catastrophic stupidity it was going to be successful.  My point was, if they picked the Sabres based on their "stars" so they could showcase them it didn't work out so well because those stars were elsewhere the following season.

Your point of showing off a few of the players on the Sabres roster today fits the same mold.  Some of them may be gone by next Jan 1.

As for being good for the Sabres, that depends.  If you consider only the impact of national TV visibility then yes.  If however, people are annoyed because they are paying increased rates for their season tickets for less games, and if people are somehow negatively impacted (as I am) by supporting this garbage concept that they are the HOME team in NYC then I think it could ultimately be a negative for them.

You live in NYC.. not sure how long you have... but for me NYC should be part of NJ.  I can't stand the place and it absolutely distorts NY politics and economics.  So, I'm not a fan of giving the NYC people any more than they already have.  

#102 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,625 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 11:36 AM

I wonder what jersey , read it might the Goathead.

No credible source is reporting that

#103 SwampD

SwampD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,604 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 03:24 PM

Well, it was the first WC.  The setting was perfect but the ice was not great and the game was impacted.  Barring catastrophic stupidity it was going to be successful.  My point was, if they picked the Sabres based on their "stars" so they could showcase them it didn't work out so well because those stars were elsewhere the following season.

Your point of showing off a few of the players on the Sabres roster today fits the same mold.  Some of them may be gone by next Jan 1.

As for being good for the Sabres, that depends.  If you consider only the impact of national TV visibility then yes.  If however, people are annoyed because they are paying increased rates for their season tickets for less games, and if people are somehow negatively impacted (as I am) by supporting this garbage concept that they are the HOME team in NYC then I think it could ultimately be a negative for them.

You live in NYC.. not sure how long you have... but for me NYC should be part of NJ.  I can't stand the place and it absolutely distorts NY politics and economics.  So, I'm not a fan of giving the NYC people any more than they already have.

As someone from NJ, we'll take it, but only if you throw in LI. All lot more money flows out of there than into it. That Buffalo Billion came from somewhere and I can bet it wasn't from Utica.

#104 nfreeman

nfreeman

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,889 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 12:27 AM

Well, it was the first WC. The setting was perfect but the ice was not great and the game was impacted. Barring catastrophic stupidity it was going to be successful. My point was, if they picked the Sabres based on their "stars" so they could showcase them it didn't work out so well because those stars were elsewhere the following season.

Your point of showing off a few of the players on the Sabres roster today fits the same mold. Some of them may be gone by next Jan 1.

As for being good for the Sabres, that depends. If you consider only the impact of national TV visibility then yes. If however, people are annoyed because they are paying increased rates for their season tickets for less games, and if people are somehow negatively impacted (as I am) by supporting this garbage concept that they are the HOME team in NYC then I think it could ultimately be a negative for them.

You live in NYC.. not sure how long you have... but for me NYC should be part of NJ. I can't stand the place and it absolutely distorts NY politics and economics. So, I'm not a fan of giving the NYC people any more than they already have.

I don't think the NHL cared at all about Drury and Brieee when they did the first WC. I think they cared about the Penguins, and the evil Quinn did a great job selling it to them and serving up the whole thing wrapped in a bow.

As for NYC -- I don't see how it can be said to distort NYS politics/economics if 85%+ of the state's population lives in the NYC metro area.

#105 Eleven

Eleven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 28,365 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 07:46 AM

As for NYC -- I don't see how it can be said to distort NYS politics/economics if 85%+ of the state's population lives in the NYC metro area.

If our upper house of the state legislature was elected by county and not by population, kind of like the US Senate is by state, we wouldn't have this problem.

#106 PromoTheRobot

PromoTheRobot

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 03:47 PM

If our upper house of the state legislature was elected by county and not by population, kind of like the US Senate is by state, we wouldn't have this problem.

Feh! Who needs one-person, one-vote? Democracy should be meted out by land mass, not population.

Edited by PromoTheRobot, 21 May 2017 - 03:48 PM.

#107 Eleven

Eleven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 28,365 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 05:08 PM

Feh! Who needs one-person, one-vote? Democracy should be meted out by land mass, not population.

I'm not sure what point you are trying yo make.

#108 Sabre1974

Sabre1974

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 06:20 AM

Would love to go to the WC but with Florida already booked for October, NFL game at Wembley and going to see Great Britain at the worlds in Budapest next year I am cleaned out :(

After that's over its time to start saving for my first trip to Buffalo :)

#109 ShadowLiger

ShadowLiger

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 07:32 AM

I think this thread should be called the "rangers winter classic".  It isn't being played in Buffalo and therefore is not a home game. The NHL can ###### right off in trying to convince me otherwise. 

#110 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,625 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 09:00 AM

I think this thread should be called the "rangers winter classic". It isn't being played in Buffalo and therefore is not a home game. The NHL can ###### right off in trying to convince me otherwise.

Yep

#111 LTS

LTS

Why I Love Hockey.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,761 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 03:08 PM

As someone from NJ, we'll take it, but only if you throw in LI. All lot more money flows out of there than into it. That Buffalo Billion came from somewhere and I can bet it wasn't from Utica.

You can have all of it.  I'm not worried about the money that comes out of NYC.

I don't think the NHL cared at all about Drury and Brieee when they did the first WC. I think they cared about the Penguins, and the evil Quinn did a great job selling it to them and serving up the whole thing wrapped in a bow.

I am sure having the thought of the 2006 Sabres vs. Pens in the Winter Classic had a nice ring to it.  They could have had the Pens play anywhere.  I don't want to get too deep into the politics of this in this thread.

This is a good place to where I am going.  Take the concept of political offices being decided by different measures.  Some population, some geographic boundary and you introduce a mess.  No more derailing the thread except to say I don't want the Sabres playing at Citi Field for the Rangers and to give up a home game to do it.  Especially to give some rich bozo a tax break he doesn't need.