110 replies to this topic

#1 FLYNNSanity

FLYNNSanity

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 01:55 PM

Vs. Rangers in NYC (Citi Field) per WGR.

Edited by FLYNNSanity, 15 March 2017 - 01:58 PM.

#2 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,432 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 01:56 PM

MUST WIN!!

#3 MattPie

MattPie

J-Bot, U-Bot, and We-Bot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,281 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 01:57 PM

Vs rangers in NYC per WGR.

This will be the year we don't match up well against the Rangers.

#4 Cygnus X 1

Cygnus X 1

El Capitan!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,890 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 02:00 PM

Wonder if we'll be out of the playoff hunt by then.

#5 FLYNNSanity

FLYNNSanity

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 02:03 PM

It's a little strange that it is the day after USA vs Canada outdoors in Buffalo though. Why not just have the game in Buffalo?

#6 WildCard

WildCard

Gunner's Mate First Class: Philip A$$hole

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,754 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 02:28 PM

Wonder if we'll be out of the playoff hunt by then.

Depends on the coach

When do tickets usually go on sale for these things?

#7 ubkev

ubkev

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,317 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 02:34 PM

Seriously? Sh!tti field?

Get ######, winter classic, my ass!

#8 Cygnus X 1

Cygnus X 1

El Capitan!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,890 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 02:40 PM

Depends on the coach

My thoughts exactly. Was gonna say if it's still DB, then it will most likely be another meaningless game.

#9 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Playground King

• Members
  • 31,944 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 02:46 PM

Why do they insist on doing this stuff in places where it rains more than it snows during the winter? 

#10 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Jack Eichel Construction

• Members
  • 25,019 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 02:59 PM

Why do they insist on doing this stuff in places where it rains more than it snows during the winter

FIFY.

#11 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Playground King

• Members
  • 31,944 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 02:59 PM

Also, there's no way in hell I'm booking a hotel in NYC on New Years. 

#12 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,784 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 03:01 PM

Why do they insist on doing this stuff in places where it rains more than it snows during the winter?

Because NHL

#13 nfreeman

nfreeman

All I want is everything you got.

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,951 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 03:06 PM

Works for me!

#14 pi2000

pi2000

The Church of Mouls... er Matthews

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 03:35 PM

It's a little strange that it is the day after USA vs Canada outdoors in Buffalo though. Why not just have the game in Buffalo?

I was thinking the same thing.   If you're going to bother doing all the work to setup an outdoor venue at New Era Field, why not use it for an NHL game too?

#15 Doohickie

Doohickie

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,629 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 04:50 PM

I was thinking the same thing.   If you're going to bother doing all the work to setup an outdoor venue at New Era Field, why not use it for an NHL game too?

Because it was NYC's turn to *host* a game I guess.

#16 Saratoga Sabres Fan

Saratoga Sabres Fan

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 05:03 PM

Man am I pumped for this. The first one was the best one vs the pens (minus Crosby beating Miller). Hope it snows again! Will be looking on stubhub for tickets.

#17 Andrew Amerk

Andrew Amerk

Heart Means Everything.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 09:31 PM

Also, there's no way in hell I'm booking a hotel in NYC on New Years.

Right.

#18 Tom Backyard

Tom Backyard

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 189 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 09:31 PM

http://buffalonews.c...atchup-rangers/

It seems that the WJC outdoor game is actually a hindrance to Winter Classic being played in Buffalo.

It's not believed that the facility can turnover to host two 70,000 plus people events in such a short window.

#19 WildCard

WildCard

• Members
  • 20,754 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 09:42 PM

I'm going to this. Trying to get a group together for that weekend in NYC

#20 TrueBlueGED

TrueBlueGED

#fancystats

• Members
  • 23,994 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 11:14 PM

http://buffalonews.c...atchup-rangers/

It seems that the WJC outdoor game is actually a hindrance to Winter Classic being played in Buffalo.

It's not believed that the facility can turnover to host two 70,000 plus people events in such a short window.

Maybe not for the Rangers. But imagine Sabres-Leafs on the heels of US-Canada? It'd sell. Easy.

#21 GoPre

GoPre

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 02:05 AM

I just think it's great the Sabres will be in the Winter Classic a second time. May seem pointless to some hockey fans, but many would enjoy having their team in the game. For the Sabres to have their second appearance is very exciting. Place of play isn't going to have an effect on me.

Edited by GoPre, 16 March 2017 - 02:07 AM.

#22 ThirtyEight

ThirtyEight

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:40 AM

I'm trying to work out if I can get to this. See how willing my wife is for a trip across the Atlantic...

#23 Robviously

Robviously

What You Don't See

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,547 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:45 AM

I just think it's great the Sabres will be in the Winter Classic a second time. May seem pointless to some hockey fans, but many would enjoy having their team in the game. For the Sabres to have their second appearance is very exciting. Place of play isn't going to have an effect on me.

Totally agree. And a great chance for Jack to play on national TV.

#24 WildCard

WildCard

• Members
  • 20,754 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 09:03 AM

Totally agree. And a great chance for Jack to play on national TV.

He usually puts on a show on national tv too

#25 Cygnus X 1

Cygnus X 1

El Capitan!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,890 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 09:12 AM

Maybe not for the Rangers. But imagine Sabres-Leafs on the heels of US-Canada? It'd sell. Easy.

Exactly. Lets the Rags play the Island at Citi Field. All these Winter Classic games should be rivalry games. Although NY vs. NY isn't as big as it used to be.

#26 mustacheofgod

mustacheofgod

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 09:17 AM

I'll probably go to this, why not? It also looks like this will count as a "home" game for the Sabres due to the MSG - Rangers agreement.

This means the Sabres will be playing in Barclays twice next year, MSG twice and Citifield once. Please, please, please, please have a new coach so I'm tempted to see the Sabres 5 times next season.

#27 Taro T

Taro T

It leads you here despite your destination under the MW tonight.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 09:23 AM

If the Sabres really are the "home" team in this game, it will do nothing to dispel the commonly held opinion of those thst live far from NYS that Buffalo is essentially a suburb of NYC.

Cool that they're going to play in the WC for the anniversary. Stinks that it isn't in Rich, it isn't even in a football stadium, & that the Sabres are getting hosed out of a home game.

Other than being unable to get the Sabres logo or the WC logo set up at CI rather than the WJC logo in 3 days with assurance the ice would be good, is there any other reason they couldn't have the stadium ready for both events if the game were in OP?

#28 ubkev

ubkev

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,317 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 10:04 AM

If the Sabres really are the "home" team in this game, it will do nothing to dispel the commonly held opinion of those thst live far from NYS that Buffalo is essentially a suburb of NYC.

Cool that they're going to play in the WC for the anniversary. Stinks that it isn't in Rich, it isn't even in a football stadium, & that the Sabres are getting hosed out of a home game.

Other than being unable to get the Sabres logo or the WC logo set up at CI rather than the WJC logo in 3 days with assurance the ice would be good, is there any other reason they couldn't have the stadium ready for both events if the game were in OP?

Spitballing here, I have no actual knowledge of things. I'd put my money on turnaround time to clean up the stadium. I've got a few friends who work for a venue near here and depending on the event cleanup can either be 3 hours or 2 days. And after a Buffalo crowd, at Rich, I'd imagine that would be a lot of urine and vomit to clean up in 1 day. Not to mention all the broken tables.

#29 pastajoe

pastajoe

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,885 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 11:45 AM

Part of it is advertising.  If they have different sponsors, they would have to repaint them on the ice, and replace all the signage on the boards.

If the Sabres are the home team, they should get the majority of the gate receipts from Citi.  Unfortunately the crowd will be mostly Ranger fans.  Will they boo when the Sabres goal song says; "Somebody make some noise in this place" (assuming they score).

#30 PromoTheRobot

PromoTheRobot

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,899 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 12:36 PM

For the love or god, stop putting these games in baseball stadiums. Only about 3% of the crowd can actually see the game.

#31 Taro T

Taro T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 01:02 PM

Part of it is advertising.  If they have different sponsors, they would have to repaint them on the ice, and replace all the signage on the boards.

If the Sabres are the home team, they should get the majority of the gate receipts from Citi.  Unfortunately the crowd will be mostly Ranger fans.  Will they boo when the Sabres goal song says; "Somebody make some noise in this place" (assuming they score).

Signage on the boards is simply tearing one set of decals off and placing other ones on. 2 hours max for the whole rink. And I'd aleady brought up the issue of changing logos on the ice. (It's not significantly more time/effort to thaw & refreeze 5 large chunks of the rink than just 1.)

When the Sabres hosted the 1st WC, the league "bought" the game from the Sabres & the Sabres (& Pens) got their normal ~18k worth of attendance credited towards their revenues & the league took the rest. Expect this'll work similarly.

Just dumb having the Sabres as the home team in NYC.

#32 North Buffalo

North Buffalo

When hell freezes over, I’ll play hockey there too.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,565 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 02:43 PM

For the love or god, stop putting these games in baseball stadiums. Only about 3% of the crowd can actually see the game.

Citifield site lines are great... they built it right... think you like it... Built straight up behind homeplate and along baselines pretty cosy...
Also concessions and restraurants on every level.

#33 Taro T

Taro T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 04:40 PM

Citifield site lines are great... they built it right... think you like it... Built straight up behind homeplate and along baselines pretty cosy...Also concessions and restraurants on every level.

for hockey? :wacko:

If they are, it's the only baseball stadium in the world (that doesn't have movable stand sections like the 70's era "cookie cutter" multi use stadiums, & even those had issues towards football endzones) that does have them. (Or does it also have moveable stand sections, ala the Astrodome?)

Edited by Taro T, 16 March 2017 - 04:41 PM.

#34 pastajoe

pastajoe

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,885 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 04:44 PM

Signage on the boards is simply tearing one set of decals off and placing other ones on. 2 hours max for the whole rink. And I'd aleady brought up the issue of changing logos on the ice. (It's not significantly more time/effort to thaw & refreeze 5 large chunks of the rink than just 1.)
When the Sabres hosted the 1st WC, the league "bought" the game from the Sabres & the Sabres (& Pens) got their normal ~18k worth of attendance credited towards their revenues & the league took the rest. Expect this'll work similarly.
Just dumb having the Sabres as the home team in NYC.

I'm not an expert, but I suspect doing it outdoors in the cold elements might make it more difficult and time consuming. They might apply the board signage indoors before they're put up, and thawing ice when it's below freezing outside isn't the same as turning the coolant compressor off indoors. Plus for the outdoor games they like to set up the ice days in advance so it has time to freeze properly and then get worked on daily. And it could be different issues if it's above freezing or raining.

#35 Taro T

Taro T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 04:58 PM

I'm not an expert, but I suspect doing it outdoors in the cold elements might make it more difficult and time consuming. They might apply the board signage indoors before they're put up, and thawing ice when it's below freezing outside isn't the same as turning the coolant compressor off indoors. Plus for the outdoor games they like to set up the ice days in advance so it has time to freeze properly and then get worked on daily. And it could be different issues if it's above freezing or raining.

No F'ing #### Sherlock. That's why I'd written "Other than being unable to get the Sabres logo or the WC logo set up at CI rather than the WJC logo in 3 days with assurance the ice would be good, is there any other reason they couldn't have the stadium ready for both events if the game were in OP?"

They try to have the ice hard for a full week prior to the game to ensure quality ice. But, they could work out either a special sponsorship deal to have an advertiser participate in both games or use "Fox tracks" to alter the logos on TV (where the real money is just like the ads you see "on the glass" behind the net.

The board ads could be replaced easily enough in 2 hours, muchh less 3 days.

Issues w/ cleaning the stadium seem overcomable, especially considering how quickly they can get volunteers to clear out the stands when a typical snowstorm hits.

It would seem that ice relogoing would be the primary concern & cannibalizing attendance at the HSBC & Harbor Center WJC games a major secondary one.

#36 SwampD

SwampD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,642 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 05:47 PM

I, for one, am glad it's at Citi field. Pretty sure I already have a ticket for Wj game in Buff. To see the Sabres a few days later outside here will be great.

#37 pi2000

pi2000

The Church of Mouls... er Matthews

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 07:48 PM

With it being an outdoor game, there's a chance they might need to delay the game a few days until the weather cooperates... which would be a logistical nightmare if both games were involved.

#38 Saratoga Sabres Fan

Saratoga Sabres Fan

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:06 PM

Tickets will be very hard to find for this, and secondary market prices for WC games are like $400.

#39 WildCard

WildCard

• Members
  • 20,754 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:08 PM

Tickets will be very hard to find for this, and secondary market prices for WC games are like $400.

Really? That's disheartening 

#40 Saratoga Sabres Fan

Saratoga Sabres Fan

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:20 PM

Really? That's disheartening 

That's what I've gathered from a quick google search; I really want to go to the WC next year now but it will sell out immediately. Stub hub and similar sites will be very expensive according to what I've seen online of previous WC games.