Photo

Lost Point Countdown: -7 Max: 86 (Mathmatically Eliminated)

playoffs?!!?

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#41 pi2000

pi2000

The Church of Moulson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 02:42 PM

I understand we are all tired of missing the playoffs but the truth is this team is far better then we tend to give credit for...if we had Eichel from the start, along with OReilly and kane both missing time with injuries, we'd probably be in a playoff position right now. Remember how many games we lost by a goal? Funny thing was our defense was keeping us in those games but we couldn;t score...now our offense is starting to really go good and the D suddenly gets bad! My own opinion (foir whatever that is worth) is that both Bogo and Kulikov are far better then we have seen and if for just once both could get healthy and start playing up to their potential that would solve most of our problems on the blueline. One thing for sure, our D is still better (and has more potential) then many teams in the NHL, including teams that are in the playoffs right now...

giphy.gif

#42 MattPie

MattPie

Hello, sailor!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,877 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 09:53 PM

I'm starting to wonder if the Sabres should start leaving the net open for the shootout. It'll mess with the shooters head.

#43 Taro T

Taro T

It leads you here despite your destination under the MW tonight.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,539 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 12:01 AM

I'm starting to wonder if the Sabres should start leaving the net open for the shootout. It'll mess with the shooters head.

Nah, put Deslauriers in net. THAT'll mess w/ their heads.

And the added bonus is he can't stop any fewer shooters than Lehner does. :(

#44 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,694 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 01:05 PM

Is there a rule against switching netters for the shootout?

I hate the shootout, so maybe DD should just wave the white flag and concede the extra point. 

#45 Jsixspd

Jsixspd

If it goes wrong, blame Brandon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,587 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 01:36 PM

I don't think there's any rule against substituting a goalie for overtime or a shootout -  coach can pull the goalie any time he wants.  He couldn't change MID-shootout, but before the shootout?  I don't believe there's any rule against it. 

There are just few, if any high salary starting goalies that are as truly awful against shoot outs and breakaways as Robin Lehner. So we never see it done.  If Bylsma had any brains, he'd be doing it, especially with every point critical now in hoping to get to a WC berth.

So with 17 games, there are 34 pts left in the Sabres Season.  To get to 93 pts, which is the minimum point level with any hope of earning a WC berth,  Sabres need 27.  Basically, 4 more regulation losses - playoff hopes are gone.  

Edited by Jsixspd, 05 March 2017 - 01:34 PM.

#46 Taro T

Taro T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,539 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 01:37 PM

Is there a rule against switching netters for the shootout?

I hate the shootout, so maybe DD should just wave the white flag and concede the extra point.

You can't switch goalies (except for injury) "once the shootout begins." Always took that to mean they can't be swiched after OT ends, but maybe they can be swiched until the 1st shooter lines up to approach the puck.

#47 TrueBlueGED

TrueBlueGED

#fancystats

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,598 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 08:14 PM

going back to loss to chicago, sabres now 1-4-2 in last 7. took 1 goal lead into 3rd in 3 games and lost all 3. (at Arizona, Nash, at pitt)

The injuries to start the year certainly didn't help, but they're also not the reason we aren't making the playoffs.

#48 Taro T

Taro T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,539 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 08:21 PM

Howard WGR‏ @hsimon62  9m9 minutes ago

More

going back to loss to chicago, sabres now 1-4-2 in last 7. took 1 goal lead into 3rd in 3 games and lost all 3. (at Arizona, Nash, at pitt)

The injuries to start the year certainly didn't help, but they're also not the reason we aren't making the playoffs.

Correct. It's the coach they had to start the year thst unfortunately is still here is why they aren't making the playoffs. Really seriously considering not watching anymore of this season on TV. The frustration is d*mn near outweighing the enjoyment of watching Eichel do his thing.

#49 Jsixspd

Jsixspd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,587 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 11:47 PM

Now the magic number is 27 points in 16 games. 3 more regulation losses and T-T-That's all, Folks! 

#50 MattPie

MattPie

Hello, sailor!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,877 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 10:26 PM

15 games remain, 96 points is the max. 27 in 15 gets to 93.

Complete set of records to hit 93 or more: 13-1-1, 14-1-0, 14-0-1, 15-0-0.

#51 Crusader1969

Crusader1969

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 10:44 PM

Correct. It's the coach they had to start the year thst unfortunately is still here is why they aren't making the playoffs. Really seriously considering not watching anymore of this season on TV. The frustration is d*mn near outweighing the enjoyment of watching Eichel do his thing.

I don't agree, the current roster is not a playoff team. The team immobile d-corps is #1 issue. Way too many minutes placed on risto and we are seeing him deteriorate as the season winds down. Still not enough balanced scoring up and down the lineup. They have 5 guys who can score consistently. Really have to hope that Bailey and Baptiste can not only bring speed but also some scoring next season. Maybe even Nylander and Asplund?

That being said, the way they've played the last 7 games is enough to say that Bylama needs to replaced before next season preferably tomorrow

#52 ubkev

ubkev

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,421 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 10:44 PM

15 games remain, 96 points is the max. 27 in 15 gets to 93.
Complete set of records to hit 93 or more: 13-1-1, 14-1-0, 14-0-1, 15-0-0.

Piece of cake.

#53 MattPie

MattPie

Hello, sailor!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,877 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 10:47 PM

Piece of cake.

Right where we want 'em.

#54 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,694 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 09:24 AM

Yummmmmm ... cake.

#55 Ottosmagic13

Ottosmagic13

We're fine.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 09:50 AM

Playoff odds down 0.7 to 0.2% per SportsClubStats

Edited by Ottosmagic13, 08 March 2017 - 09:52 AM.

#56 Crusader1969

Crusader1969

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 10:16 AM

If you want to pinpoint the lowest point of the season (besides Eichel injury) its exactly 19:48 of the 3rd period Feb 26th vs Arizona when the coyotes complete a 3rd period comeback from 2-0 to defeat the sabres... Season over...

#57 yse325

yse325

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 10:36 AM

This team is 1-5-2 in the last 8 games.  So when the going got tough the team folded.  

#58 Jacque Richard

Jacque Richard

Gold Seats Aud

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 11:02 AM

This team is 1-5-2 in the last 8 games.  So when the going got tough the team folded.

Running for the bus I guess

#59 We've

We've

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,362 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 12:05 PM

This team is 1-5-2 in the last 8 games. So when the going got tough the team folded.

That is exactly what has me concerned.

Is this the worst stretch of the season, record-wise? It has to be up there.

Or is it down there?

Edited by We've, 08 March 2017 - 12:05 PM.

#60 yse325

yse325

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 12:32 PM

That is exactly what has me concerned.

Is this the worst stretch of the season, record-wise? It has to be up there.

Or is it down there?

Very scary.  This is after GMTM talked to the team.  It is what I feared after his failure to try to make some changes at the deadline.  The team got the message that mediocrity was ok.  Not a good message to send.  There is also reason to think DD has lost the team, that the locker-room leadership has also lost the team and that GMTM's roster construction sucks.

The only 3 players who seem to be ignoring the chaos are Jack, Evander and ROR.  

#61 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,694 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 01:59 PM

Very scary.  This is after GMTM talked to the team.  It is what I feared after his failure to try to make some changes at the deadline.  The team got the message that mediocrity was ok.  Not a good message to send.  There is also reason to think DD has lost the team, that the locker-room leadership has also lost the team and that GMTM's roster construction sucks.

I would add Risto to that list of yours and maybe McCabe.

#62 yse325

yse325

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:42 PM

I agree. I posted on another thread that Risto has 12 points in his last 18 games and his other stats were solid as well until his -5 last night.

#63 Sabre fan

Sabre fan

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:44 PM

Time to Thomas the tank....season isi over so at least lets try and get a good draft position...maybe then trade it for a D-man

#64 Thorny

Thorny

Supreme Mugwump

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,902 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 05:59 PM

I would say Reinhart has been good as well. 10 points last 13 games. Not bad considering the slump of the team.

#65 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,694 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 06:04 PM

I would say Reinhart has been good as well. 10 points last 13 games. Not bad considering the slump of the team.

Yup, him too.

And how about Evander.

The Captain has not been horrible.

Hey maybe the Sabres are pretty good at hockey, well not so much the defence part of the game.

#66 Drunkard

Drunkard

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 10:33 AM

Yup, him too.

And how about Evander.

The Captain has not been horrible.

Hey maybe the Sabres are pretty good at hockey, well not so much the defence part of the game.

Seems like that would point to the coach being a big part of the problem as well.

#67 pi2000

pi2000

The Church of Moulson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 12:49 AM

are we done here?

#68 Jsixspd

Jsixspd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,587 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 12:59 AM

Not quite.   One more regulation loss, and that maxes the season at 92 pts.  The lowest qualifying points total to earn a WC berth to date has been 93.   

No guarantee that 13 regulation wins and 1 OTL, putting us at 93, earns a WC berth either.    The mark might be 95 or 96 or higher.  Meaning we're done already.  

#69 MattPie

MattPie

Hello, sailor!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,877 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 11:38 AM

It's the final countdown!

Not quite.   One more regulation loss, and that maxes the season at 92 pts.  The lowest qualifying points total to earn a WC berth to date has been 93.   

No guarantee that 13 regulation wins and 1 OTL, putting us at 93, earns a WC berth either.    The mark might be 95 or 96 or higher.  Meaning we're done already.  

Pretty much. It could go lower too, and the division isn't that good. It wouldn't be a surprise if 3rd in the division Is worse than both wildcards. But yeah, they're done.

Max points possible: 94

Records possible to get to 93: 13-0-1, 14-0-0

Edited by MattPie, 11 March 2017 - 11:41 AM.

#70 MattPie

MattPie

Hello, sailor!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,877 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 12:06 AM

Max points possible: 92.

Who had the Ides of March in the pool?

#71 Jsixspd

Jsixspd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,587 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 06:47 AM

That's pretty much it for any playoff hopes.  But before last night's game, they were 2-7 since the Bye Week, and with last night's loss, now  2-8 and 14 games below .500.   That's a team in serious decline, not one "going for" a playoff spot.  

#72 yse325

yse325

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 08:43 AM

What a shocking result.  Not!   Another 41 shots.  Just awful!  

#73 GoPre

GoPre

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 09:32 AM

Even though the Sabres are no longer in contention for a playoff spot, I'm going to enjoy the rest of the season for what it is.  Pull for a win each game, get excited when the Sabres score and ticked off when the opponents put one in the net.  

#74 Drunkard

Drunkard

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 09:42 AM

Even though the Sabres are no longer in contention for a playoff spot, I'm going to enjoy the rest of the season for what it is.  Pull for a win each game, get excited when the Sabres score and ticked off when the opponents put one in the net.  

I'd rather see us lose out, fire the coach, and get a better draft pick. Time to dust off the tanks for another 12 games.

#75 GoPre

GoPre

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 10:18 AM

I'd rather see us lose out, fire the coach, and get a better draft pick. Time to dust off the tanks for another 12 games.

I promised myself I'd only support a tank one time.  Obviously pleased with the results.  But I'll never pull for Buffalo to lose again.  

#76 Woods-Racer

Woods-Racer

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,574 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 11:22 AM

I promised myself I'd only support a tank one time.  Obviously pleased with the results.  But I'll never pull for Buffalo to lose again.  

I want them to win now, things are just too different from a few seasons ago. There is nothing to gain by losing the rest of the way. 

#77 Drunkard

Drunkard

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 12:17 PM

I want them to win now, things are just too different from a few seasons ago. There is nothing to gain by losing the rest of the way. 

Except a better draft pick and (most importantly) increasing the chances that DB gets fired. You can't possibly believe that if we lost our last 12 games it wouldn't increase the chances of Pegula giving Murray the green light to fire DB. I'd call that a tremendous gain for the team long term.

I understand not wanting the team to lose, but to say there's no upside to it is just wrong. Unless you prefer DB to remain coach and you really feel there's absolutely no difference long term between drafting 5th or 14th this June.

#78 dudacek

dudacek

Graveyard-whistle-past-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,979 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 01:15 PM

I hope 8-4 versus 4-8 is not the difference in Dan staying or going.

#79 mustacheofgod

mustacheofgod

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 02:18 PM

Except a better draft pick and (most importantly) increasing the chances that DB gets fired. You can't possibly believe that if we lost our last 12 games it wouldn't increase the chances of Pegula giving Murray the green light to fire DB. I'd call that a tremendous gain for the team long term.

I understand not wanting the team to lose, but to say there's no upside to it is just wrong. Unless you prefer DB to remain coach and you really feel there's absolutely no difference long term between drafting 5th or 14th this June.

There are two games on the remaining schedule that I absolutely want the Sabres to win. Other than that I agree with this. I don't see the Sabres current position in the standings changing much (maybe drop down 2 spots if we keep our losing pace) but the closer we get to the bottom, the better chance we have hitting the lottery for a top-3 pick, which I can see Murray trading to get real help on the blue-line.

I'm not rooting for the Sabres to lose, but I am rooting for them to lose Bylsma.

#80 Thorny

Thorny

Supreme Mugwump

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,902 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 05:17 PM

I just want to see Eichel (and Reinhart) get points.