Photo

How to Fix the D Both Short and Long-term?

• Please log in to reply
184 replies to this topic

Poll: Who Should Return

Should Gorges Return (He made 3.9 mill this season)

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Should Kulikov Be Re-Signed? (He made 4.3 mill this season)

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Should Franson Be Re-Signed (He made 3.3 mill this year)

Vote Guests cannot vote

#161 ubkev

ubkev

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,133 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 05:46 AM

There are 7 players that even GMTM won't be trading away, Lehner, ROR, KO, Risto, McCabe, Jack and last Sam. Everyone else, including Kane is fair game.

It just so happens that everyone else is worthless. Save for Nylander.

#162 Sabre fan

Sabre fan

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 06:43 AM

Probably the biggest question is do we try to re-sign Kulilov, who I have no doubt is much better then we've seen. I agree with someone who posted that he will no doubt go somewhere and immediately become a strong 3-4 d-man on another team. That trade by the way allowed us to move up and draft Rasmus Asplund, who many thought to be a first round guy. That was a good trade at the time and looked like a steal for GMTM. who could have known Kulikov would no be healthy for nearly the whole year? Again injuries played a big part in this year's disappoointment

#163 TrueBlueGED

TrueBlueGED

#fancystats

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,695 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:41 AM

http://www.sportsnet...ion-didnt-work/

GMTM says Dmitry Kulikov acquisition didn't work out. Really? Says he thought he got a top 3 D. I really question his judgement. I'll say this, if he doesn't get a real top 3 D this off-season to spell Risto, we can start the clock on GMTM reign in Buffalo. If I was a betting man I'd wager that GMTM knows this as well and he will acquire one regardless of cost.

The assessment of Kulikov as a top 3 is not going to inspire confidence in those of us who question Murray's evaluation of defensemen.

#164 WildCard

WildCard

Gunner's Mate First Class: Philip A$$hole

• Members
  • 20,253 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:59 AM

The assessment of Kulikov as a top 3 is not going to inspire confidence in those of us who question Murray's evaluation of defensemen.

I think he could be if he wasn't in this crap, hail marry system. He was one under Gallant in Florida on a playoff team

#165 Sabre fan

Sabre fan

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:04 AM

I think he could be if he wasn't in this crap, hail marry system. He was one under Gallant in Florida on a playoff team

agreed...I think he's fine if healthy, it's the "system" that is dragging the whole D (and team) down

#166 TrueBlueGED

TrueBlueGED

#fancystats

• Members
  • 23,695 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:43 AM

As much as I enjoy blaming Bylsma for stuff, I just don't think Kulikov is his fault. Would he be better in a different system? Sure. But he was never great, save for 6 playoff games. Six. Yea he was getting top-3 minutes, but that's sort of like McCabe getting #2 minutes here and us insisting he's a #2. He really isn't.

I'm comfortable concluding Murray got fooled by a playoff series.

Edit: And if he wasn't fooled, then I circle back to him looking for the wrong thing in defensemen. Too much old school in his evaluation, methinks. Maybe he'll learn something from the whole fiasco this year.

Edited by TrueBlueGED, 22 March 2017 - 08:47 AM.

#167 Sabres79

Sabres79

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,775 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:49 AM

He's also been injured literally the entire time he's been here, minus the beginning of training camp.  I'm not sure how good an idea overlooking this is.  Is he Bobby Orr when healthy?  Nah.  But he's a better player, and would have been (again, if healthy) a positive on this this team this year, and will likely do well wherever he plays next year. 

#168 TrueBlueGED

TrueBlueGED

#fancystats

• Members
  • 23,695 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 09:21 AM

He's also been injured literally the entire time he's been here, minus the beginning of training camp. I'm not sure how good an idea overlooking this is. Is he Bobby Orr when healthy? Nah. But he's a better player, and would have been (again, if healthy) a positive on this this team this year, and will likely do well wherever he plays next year.

I see JJ has a lot of people around here drinking the Kul-aid...sorry, I had to :P

I think most would grant the injury and Bylsma mattered, and that Kulikov is better than he played this year. I take no issue with those things. But I have a big problem with Murray evaluating him as a top-3 defenseman. Every metric outside of that playoff series puts Kulikov as a lower-end top-4, and some would argue a #5 (I wouldn't, but I've seen the arguments). A #3 Dman has to be a guy who can anchor a pair with a lesser partner, and Kulikov isn't that guy. If Murray thinks he is, that's no bueno.

I think it's also worth noting the injury may be a career-long thing now. A couple weeks ago Murray said if Kulikov stayed in Buffalo and worked with the trainers all summer, they think he could get back to 90% of what he was. So there's a good chance he never gets back to what he was, even if we can't agree on what that was.

#169 dudacek

dudacek

Bear poker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,688 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 09:24 AM

As much as I enjoy blaming Bylsma for stuff, I just don't think Kulikov is his fault. Would he be better in a different system? Sure. But he was never great, save for 6 playoff games. Six. Yea he was getting top-3 minutes, but that's sort of like McCabe getting #2 minutes here and us insisting he's a #2. He really isn't.
I'm comfortable concluding Murray got fooled by a playoff series.
Edit: And if he wasn't fooled, then I circle back to him looking for the wrong thing in defensemen. Too much old school in his evaluation, methinks. Maybe he'll learn something from the whole fiasco this year.

I don't think he was fooled by the playoffs; there was too big a body of work leading up to that.
This year's McCabe is a good comparison to the player he should have thought he was getting, and truthfully Kulikov has been.

Your edit is closer to the truth, IMO.

#170 yse325

yse325

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 10:39 AM

Kulikov isn't returning so we are kind of beating a dead horse, but if he isn't, maybe ever going to be fully healthy and won't be even 90% after rehab all summer, why wasn't he just put on LTIR for the season months ago to free up cap space to get some real depth. GMTM is proving that he is out of his depth in this job with every statement.

One other note, one quick away to improving the D and PK is to fire Terry Murray and get a different coach. He is the coach of the 2 worst areas of the team. Bob Woods has done a fine job on the PP.

Edited by yse325, 22 March 2017 - 10:47 AM.

#171 DirtDart

DirtDart

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 11:04 AM

you guys, and all your system talk drive me nuts. Please, do explain this hail marry system. Is it Dan that plays the "system", or the players not playing within the "system"? Either way, he is not responsible for the lack of communication on the ice, or the play. What should he do bench the players? We already play almost nightly with a short bench as it is.

#172 Drunkard

Drunkard

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 11:09 AM

you guys, and all your system talk drive me nuts. Please, do explain this hail marry system. Is it Dan that plays the "system", or the players not playing within the "system"? Either way, he is not responsible for the lack of communication on the ice, or the play. What should he do bench the players? We already play almost nightly with a short bench as it is.

Check out the posts by Flagg in the System thread. It's complete with examples and photos with arrows and MS paint scribbles. It shows a bunch of examples of how the stretch passes and lack of forward support are killing our puck possession numbers.

#173 WildCard

WildCard

• Members
  • 20,253 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 11:09 AM

You should go read the thread titled 'The System' and the 5 page post breaking it down.

#174 yse325

yse325

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 10:08 AM

Is anyone an ESPN insider? http://www.espn.com/...er/post?id=8933

I'm curious what Constance has to say about our offseason game plan.

#175 MattPie

MattPie

J-Bot, U-Bot, and We-Bot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,209 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 10:19 AM

Agree with the others about the Flagg posts on the The System thread. That's some great work.

In football terms, Dan's system is 5 of 6 plays is to throw 20-30 yard passes. They don't connect often, but at least when they don't you're not tackled for a loss. The other play is to hand off to your first-team all-star running back (Eichel), who rushes 11 yards per carry on average, but in Dan's mind no one else on the team can do that.

#176 pi2000

pi2000

The Church of Mouls... er Matthews

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 10:59 AM

Agree with the others about the Flagg posts on the The System thread. That's some great work.

In football terms, Dan's system is 5 of 6 plays is to throw 20-30 yard passes. They don't connect often, but at least when they don't you're not tackled for a loss. The other play is to hand off to your first-team all-star running back (Eichel), who rushes 11 yards per carry on average, but in Dan's mind no one else on the team can do that.

In reality, who else can really carry the puck up ice like that?  O'Reilly?   He does it often enough, but that's not his game.   Kane does it.  

The bigger issue is we don't have any defensemen who can lug the mail with consistent success.... Risto tries, but he's not a Karlsson, Doughty,  Keith type guy that can open up the ice for everybody else.... like what Brian Campbell did when he was in his prime here.    McCabe skate's well enough, but just doesn't have the offensive instincts. 

#177 WildCard

WildCard

• Members
  • 20,253 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 11:03 AM

And the Canes and 29 other teams in the league do? It's pretty faking easy for an NHL defensmen to skate forward and make 10 ft passes. A hellavu lot easier than making 60 ft passes through traffic really

#178 dudacek

dudacek

Bear poker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,688 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 11:40 AM

You know who can skate the puck up ice and make 10-foot passes?
Kulikov and Bogosian.

Here's something else worth pondering: for all our Hail Mary passes, how many breakaways have we had this year? Ten?

#179 WildCard

WildCard

• Members
  • 20,253 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 11:40 AM

Kulikov and Bogosian.

Here's something else worth pondering: for all our Hail Mary passes, how many breakaways have we had this year? Ten?

Excellent point. I'd bet I can count on 2 hands how many we've had

#180 TrueBlueGED

TrueBlueGED

#fancystats

• Members
  • 23,695 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 11:47 AM

Kulikov and Bogosian.

In fact, one could argue that that's literally the only thing Bogosian does well.

#181 Drunkard

Drunkard

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 01:55 PM

Kulikov and Bogosian.

Damn good point. As much as I'd like to see some upgrades on the blue line I'd be willing to bet our current defensive corps would looks much better if they weren't asked to play in a system that requires them to consistently thread the needle with 50+ foot passes.

#182 Randall Flagg

Randall Flagg

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,948 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 04:55 PM

Kulikov and Bogosian.

I've noticed this too. Fewer breakaways than any team I've ever seen.

Because teams know what we do, and adjust to stop it.

#183 Sabre fan

Sabre fan

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 06:20 AM

anybody notice that when given big minutes kulikov responded in a big way?

#184 North Buffalo

North Buffalo

When hell freezes over, I’ll play hockey there too.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,424 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 06:35 AM

His back has been a problem all year.... i still think he needs to rest it then work like hell to get back in shape.

#185 Sabre fan

Sabre fan

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 06:48 AM

and the fact remains no one is sure whether to re-sign him but he sure looked good