342 replies to this topic

#41 Randall Flagg

Randall Flagg

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,948 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 01:19 PM

I'm guessing those aren't the actual lines, but they're so jumbled that it's hard to know what DD is thinking.  There's a decent chance Kane plays, since he was working special teams in practice.  Bring him in, everyone gets shuffled around a bit.

I'm willing to wait, for sure. It wouldn't be the first time morning skate lineups changed.

But at some point Sam needs to start spending most of the season playing center. There's development to do, and we're just wasting time having him play wing with Jack, especially when he's struggling like he has been recently. He's not a winger.

#42 WildCard

WildCard

Gunner's Mate First Class: Philip A$$hole

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,253 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 01:27 PM

Lehner vs Gibson tonight. Carlyle is sick but is as of now expected to be behind the bench

#43 dudacek

dudacek

Bear poker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,688 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 01:58 PM

I'm willing to wait, for sure. It wouldn't be the first time morning skate lineups changed.
But at some point Sam needs to start spending most of the season playing center. There's development to do, and we're just wasting time having him play wing with Jack, especially when he's struggling like he has been recently. He's not a winger.

My views on this are well-known. Why the best passer on the team is forced into the role of finisher and traffic player when his shot is the least of his skills and he functions best in open ice is the most egregious of Dan's sins IMO.

The stretch he played (with Kane and Bailey I think) when ROR was out was the best NHL hockey he's played.

I'll tell you one thing, Cload Julian wouldn't be making that mistake.

#44 Mig22

Mig22

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 02:28 PM

After young Jack has continued to comment on his post-game remarks , he better play better than he did for two periods on Tuesday.  This little hissy fit he is having over being booed will not sit well if he isn't 'generational' tonight.  This is the kind of thing that sours a fan base to a (perceived) failed golden-boy.  

#45 WildCard

WildCard

• Members
  • 20,253 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 02:30 PM

Hissy fit? Hahah really? He hasn't done anything

Edited by WildCard, 09 February 2017 - 02:30 PM.

#46 TrueBlueGED

TrueBlueGED

#fancystats

• Members
  • 23,695 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 02:35 PM

After young Jack has continued to comment on his post-game remarks , he better play better than he did for two periods on Tuesday. This little hissy fit he is having over being booed will not sit well if he isn't 'generational' tonight. This is the kind of thing that sours a fan base to a (perceived) failed golden-boy.

Talk about something being misconstrued. All he said was a "yea duh" statement about how fans boo when the team sucks and cheer when they're playing well. I can't believe anyone is interpreting what he said as complaining about the fans booing.

#47 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

That Nostalgic Olfactory Blend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,030 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 03:10 PM

After young Jack has continued to comment on his post-game remarks , he better play better than he did for two periods on Tuesday.  This little hissy fit he is having over being booed will not sit well if he isn't 'generational' tonight.  This is the kind of thing that sours a fan base to a (perceived) failed golden-boy.  

FFS. Seriously. I know you don't post much, and I'm reluctant to take a dump on a some-time poster, but this is just an awful take. 

Talk about something being misconstrued. All he said was a "yea duh" statement about how fans boo when the team sucks and cheer when they're playing well. I can't believe anyone is interpreting what he said as complaining about the fans booing.

Schopp's take on the matter was fair. It's at the very beginning of hour 3 from their show yesterday. It's measured, and fair. And a little sh1tty with young Eichel. But fair.

I saw the quotes today from Eichel -- about how he wasn't intending to say anything other than the fact that, when the team is good, the building is good, and when the team is bad, the building is bad. He said he was only stating facts, and not intending to offer any opinions.

Which I would be willing to accept entirely, had he not seemed a little pissed off when he said it and, more importantly, had he also not said something like "funny how it works that way." 

Funny. As in, it's not funny at all. As in, it's fahkin' wicked stoopid.

Maybe a little cash me outside, howbow dah?

Look. I don't entirely agree with Schopp's take. I agree with a lot of it. But I also think Eichel is entitled to be a little pissed off that fans boo the team when they're struggling. He has good reason and good cause to get pissed off at that. In his mind, I am sure that he truly and honestly thinks that he is getting after it as hard as he can at all times, and that sometimes, things just don't work. And to be booed for that failed effort must be insulting and discouraging. There's part of him that probably wants to say: "Please. Just don't boo us when we're having a hard go of it. We're trying, even if it may look like we're not."

Having said that, I also think Eichel just needs to grow up a bit and let that sort of stuff go. Schopp is right to say that there is precisely zero upside for Eichel in venturing into such issues, and a whole lot of downside.

At the end of the day, I just really like the guy. (Eichel, not as much Schopp.) I like his game. I like this attitude. I like his personality. He's fun. He's not polished, and he's far from perfect. He's going to get better, and more consistent. And watch the funk out when he does, rest-of-the-NHL.

Edited by That Aud Smell, 09 February 2017 - 03:15 PM.

#48 pi2000

pi2000

The Church of Mouls... er Matthews

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 03:11 PM

It's not like he went full Steve Ott...

http://www.cbssports...ely-ridiculous/

"I think it's completely ridiculous, to be honest with you," Ott said. "We go into other buildings, we've won a lot of games and teams should have the same amount of frustration, sold-out buildings and it's funny because they're continuing to cheer on their team. They stand behind their team. They respect the work ethic and everything else.

"It's disheartening when we did get hemmed in our zone and they're basically mocking us when you get up past the blueline and you finally get it in their zone after I guess you could say that minute and a half shift when they didn't have a scoring opportunity. I guess you can say it was more the mocking of my teammates and everything else that probably pissed a lot of guys off, including myself."

"You're a fan of the Buffalo Sabres and hopefully you come to cheer us on and motivate us to be good. We've got a lot of young players on this team and they definitely don't deserve to be booed. They deserve to have that excitement and energy. It's definitely not their fault for the last six years of frustration that's gone on."

#49 TrueBlueGED

TrueBlueGED

#fancystats

• Members
  • 23,695 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 03:15 PM

The flare up over what Eichel said is reason number 8885244588663585999655 that hockey players are usually empty cliché machines.

#50 Sabres79

Sabres79

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,775 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 03:15 PM

Or, and I regret bringing this up again even as I'm typing it, that famous Mike Weber emotional moment. 

#51 WildCard

WildCard

• Members
  • 20,253 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 03:18 PM

The flare up over what Eichel said is reason number 8885244588663585999655 that hockey players are usually empty cliché machines.

Can just change that to athletes in general

You should check out barstool sports, it's everything ESPN should be. Plus the athletes can give be themselves on there

#52 Mig22

Mig22

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 03:19 PM

FFS. Seriously. I know you don't post much, and I'm reluctant to take a dump on a some-time poster, but this is just an awful take. 

Oh, don't worry about disagreeing as it surely won't hurt my feelings.  But it was clear that he was pissed off about being booed and he statement about being loved after they won was clearly sarcastic.  His remarks to the News today were reinforcing that image especially his concluding "so be it". That's fine, he can take whatever tone he wants.  My point was that the fan base will not put up with indifferent efforts AND (again perceived) snarky remarks.  

Whether the kid has a bad attitude or just questionable skills at the podium, who knows.  But "fan" is short for "fanatic" and they will turn on him given half the chance.  Fair?  Probably not.

#53 SwampD

SwampD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,604 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 03:23 PM

I've heard boos in other arenas. Those teams deserved it, too.

#54 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,030 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 03:31 PM

it was clear that he was pissed off about being booed and he statement about being loved after they won was clearly sarcastic.  His remarks to the News today were reinforcing that image especially his concluding "so be it". That's fine, he can take whatever tone he wants.  My point was that the fan base will not put up with indifferent efforts AND (again perceived) snarky remarks.  

Whether the kid has a bad attitude or just questionable skills at the podium, who knows.  But "fan" is short for "fanatic" and they will turn on him given half the chance.  Fair?  Probably not.

This take is more fair than the other one. I agree with his tone on the "oh, they love us now, don't they?" Not a good look.

I think he'll grow and learn.

There are 19,000 something people in that place most nights. If even 5% of the people decide to start booing, that's damn near 1000 people. It will sound loud. The vast majority of people there (90%+) are not booing. He needs to understand that, and let the nonsense roll off him like water off a duck's back.

ROR needs to have a sit down with the kid.

#55 DarthEbriate

DarthEbriate

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 03:53 PM

He can keep being cheeky with the press as far as I'm concerned. I'm glad he was flustered by the booing; the team looked horrid for two periods (and was being made to look horrid by an excellent team firing on all cylinders). So be it. I assume within 3 years he'll sound like every other vet.

Keep being cheeky, Jack! Don't grow up too fast. (And if you threaten 40 G every season and improve on faceoffs and defensive positioning each year to create more takeaways that lead to odd-man breaks for Sabres' goals... all the better.)

#56 Drunkard

Drunkard

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 03:59 PM

Maybe we should trade O'Reilly for a stud defenseman. Then our fearless leader would have no choice but to play Reinhart, right? Or he'll just piss us off even more and put Ennis or Foligno at center.

#57 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,625 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 04:00 PM

I has a sad that Cash me outside girl has ended up here. I'm also sad that girl is only 13 and what seems like seriously damaged goods.

#58 WildCard

WildCard

• Members
  • 20,253 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 04:03 PM

I has a sad that Cash me outside girl has ended up here. I'm also sad that girl is only 13 and what seems like seriously damaged goods.

Yeah that thing has really gotten on my nerves. That and freaking Bye Felecia. If one more ###### person says that I'm gonna lose it

#59 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,625 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 04:03 PM

Jack needs to know taking on the fans by the horns is going to end poorly. He can feel that way, and let it motivate him but any comments will only draw negativity. I think a lot of the fan base is on edge. His Tom Brady fellating and now fan chastising just pushes fans over that edge. Winning cure all ails. Let's hope that starts happening.

#60 SwampD

SwampD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,604 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 04:05 PM

He can keep being cheeky with the press as far as I'm concerned. I'm glad he was flustered by the booing; the team looked horrid for two periods (and was being made to look horrid by an excellent team firing on all cylinders). So be it. I assume within 3 years he'll sound like every other vet.

Keep being cheeky, Jack! Don't grow up too fast. (And if you threaten 40 G every season and improve on faceoffs and defensive positioning each year to create more takeaways that lead to odd-man breaks for Sabres' goals... all the better.)

They sucked for five periods.

Yeah that thing has really gotten on my nerves. That and freaking Bye Felecia. If one more ###### person says that I'm gonna lose it

Should I understand what these posts are saying?

#61 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,030 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 04:07 PM

Sorry, fellas. It's too overwhelming a meme.

Jack needs to know taking on the fans by the horns is going to end poorly. He can feel that way, and let it motivate him but any comments will only draw negativity. I think a lot of the fan base is on edge. His Tom Brady fellating and now fan chastising just pushes fans over that edge. Winning cure all ails. Let's hope that starts happening.

Is that really a thing? Is it really a thing? It can't really be a thing. The kid grew up in Boston, ffs. Of course he loves the Pats.

I scoffed at the Toronto mouth-breathers when they tried to e-climb up Auston Matthews' arse for cheering on the U.S. in the World Juniors. But I guess the lowest common denominator in Buffalo is no different, no better.

#62 Beer

Beer

Bench Warmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 04:24 PM

Can we talk about how the Sabres are going to take it to the Ducks tonight? It's sports, fans boo. Let's move on. Jack will be OK.

I know little about the Ducks. 2nd place in the Pacific Division. Not too shabby. It will be a tough game for the Sabres. I'm interested in watching the Ducks D since it seems most people on this board want to acquire some of their talent. If the Sabres shed them, it will be interesting watching everyone talk out of both sides of their mouth.

Go Sabres!

#63 nfreeman

nfreeman

All I want is everything you got.

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,889 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 04:25 PM

My views on this are well-known. Why the best passer on the team is forced into the role of finisher and traffic player when his shot is the least of his skills and he functions best in open ice is the most egregious of Dan's sins IMO.

The stretch he played (with Kane and Bailey I think) when ROR was out was the best NHL hockey he's played.

I'll tell you one thing, Cload Julian wouldn't be making that mistake.

I thought it was Kaner and Gionta, and I agree that it was the best he's looked -- and moreover, that stretch is what convinced me to join your "Reino needs to play center" movement.

#64 Beer

Beer

Bench Warmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 04:40 PM

I heard Duffer say Sabres PP is ranked 3rd in the pregame video. That astonishes me but I'll gladly take it.

I did a little more looking after my post above, Ducks are losers of 3 straight. Let's hand them another! Go Sabres!

#65 pi2000

pi2000

The Church of Mouls... er Matthews

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 05:01 PM

Can we talk about how the Sabres are going to take it to the Ducks tonight? It's sports, fans boo. Let's move on. Jack will be OK.

I know little about the Ducks. 2nd place in the Pacific Division. Not too shabby. It will be a tough game for the Sabres. I'm interested in watching the Ducks D since it seems most people on this board want to acquire some of their talent. If the Sabres shed them, it will be interesting watching everyone talk out of both sides of their mouth.

Go Sabres!

I follow the Ducks out here.    They have a good team here's a few takes....

They have some outstanding defensemen... Fowler, Lindholm, Vatanen.. with up and comers Theodore and Montour.  

Bieksa is their Gorges, must take advantage of him when he's on the ice... get on him quick and he'll cough up the puck.

Perry has been terrible this season.   9 goals in 55 games for a guy making $8.6m... they pay him to score goals, that's all he's good for.  

Getzlaf never shoots enough... here's another guy making +$8m who has a whopping 8 goals in 48 games.    

Despite all this they still find ways to win... due to their dynamic defense and depth at C (Getzlaf, Rakell, Kesler).    Will be a tough matchup for BUF 3rd line, whoever that is.    

While you're watching the game, pay attention to how well Fowler (and Vatanen and Lindholm) skate, and how quick they are on puck retrievals.   Will be a challenge even for guys like Kane to get any pressure on the forecheck.    Theodore and Montour are plus skaters as well.    

Rakell is an up and coming talent, IMO he'll be an All-Star someday, reminds me of a young Briere, he has that potential... great hands, smooth, agile, plus offensive awareness.

Get an early goal on Gibson and he'll be shaky the rest of the game.    Weak 5-hole.  

#66 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,625 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 05:14 PM

Is that really a thing? Is it really a thing? It can't really be a thing. The kid grew up in Boston, ffs. Of course he loves the Pats.

I scoffed at the Toronto mouth-breathers when they tried to e-climb up Auston Matthews' arse for cheering on the U.S. in the World Juniors. But I guess the lowest common denominator in Buffalo is no different, no better.

It gets real ugly real quick

https://twitter.com/...445101898756097

#67 Randall Flagg

Randall Flagg

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,948 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 05:16 PM

I follow the Ducks out here. They have a good team here's a few takes....

They have some outstanding defensemen... Fowler, Lindholm, Vatanen.. with up and comers Theodore and Montour.

Bieksa is their Gorges, must take advantage of him when he's on the ice... get on him quick and he'll cough up the puck.

Perry has been terrible this season. 9 goals in 55 games for a guy making $8.6m... they pay him to score goals, that's all he's good for.

Getzlaf never shoots enough... here's another guy making +$8m who has a whopping 8 goals in 48 games.

Despite all this they still find ways to win... due to their dynamic defense and depth at C (Getzlaf, Rakell, Kesler). Will be a tough matchup for BUF 3rd line, whoever that is.

While you're watching the game, pay attention to how well Fowler (and Vatanen and Lindholm) skate, and how quick they are on puck retrievals. Will be a challenge even for guys like Kane to get any pressure on the forecheck. Theodore and Montour are plus skaters as well.

Rakell is an up and coming talent, IMO he'll be an All-Star someday, reminds me of a young Briere, he has that potential... great hands, smooth, agile, plus offensive awareness.

Get an early goal on Gibson and he'll be shaky the rest of the game. Weak 5-hole.

Just saw Rakell's stats. Woah. Had no idea.

Kesler is playing selke-level hockey from what I've read.

I thought it was Kaner and Gionta, and I agree that it was the best he's looked -- and moreover, that stretch is what convinced me to join your "Reino needs to play center" movement.

What was it, 20 points in 22 games he had there?

#68 Randall Flagg

Randall Flagg

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,948 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 05:55 PM

I saw an interesting take over on hfboards, that Dan really likes the top six-bottom six philosophy, and views Samson as absolutely a top six forward on this team, but not a better center than Eichel/ROR, and that's his reasoning for getting him at wing. I'm not sure how that fits in with Kane getting 4th highest TOI on the team from the third line, but it's still an interesting way to see it. Maybe he doesn't think the wing depth is good enough to give all three optimal minutes with optimal teammates. Now that Sam has gone a little cold and looks a little more like early season Sam than center Sam (besides that sublime pass two nights ago) I think it's worth going back to 9-23-12.

What happened to Carrier, by the way?

#69 Beer

Beer

Bench Warmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 06:30 PM

I saw an interesting take over on hfboards, that Dan really likes the top six-bottom six philosophy, and views Samson as absolutely a top six forward on this team, but not a better center than Eichel/ROR, and that's his reasoning for getting him at wing. I'm not sure how that fits in with Kane getting 4th highest TOI on the team from the third line, but it's still an interesting way to see it. Maybe he doesn't think the wing depth is good enough to give all three optimal minutes with optimal teammates. Now that Sam has gone a little cold and looks a little more like early season Sam than center Sam (besides that sublime pass two nights ago) I think it's worth going back to 9-23-12.
What happened to Carrier, by the way?

Good question on Carrier. It's been very quiet. I'd love to have him in the lineup.

Pi - thanks for the inside scoop. I'm definitely going to be watching their D.

Edited by Beer, 09 February 2017 - 06:31 PM.

#70 DarthEbriate

DarthEbriate

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 06:32 PM

Eichel causes a slight flap with post-game comments... has been picking up assists lately but not many goals... has Kesler trying to bug him all night. So... two goals? First hat trick?

#71 Doohickie

Doohickie

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,472 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 07:07 PM

MODO, our thoughts are with your and yours.

And since we haven't seen him much lately, it's up to me to post this: 

I really like her voice.  Nice old school sweater too.

#72 Beer

Beer

Bench Warmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 07:12 PM

Let's go Buffalo!

#73 PromoTheRobot

PromoTheRobot

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 07:12 PM

Is that really a thing? Is it really a thing? It can't really be a thing. The kid grew up in Boston, ffs. Of course he loves the Pats.

B.B.F.S. (Butthurt Buffalo Fan Syndrome)

#74 Beer

Beer

Bench Warmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 07:13 PM

If only Gio was a few years younger

#75 Randall Flagg

Randall Flagg

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,948 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 07:14 PM

Gionta, Reinhart, and Bailey all with nice plays.

#76 WildCard

WildCard

• Members
  • 20,253 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 07:15 PM

Looking pretty good so far, at least offensively
Hot damn Lehner

Edited by WildCard, 09 February 2017 - 07:15 PM.

#77 Randall Flagg

Randall Flagg

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,948 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 07:16 PM

Poor decision by ROR, Lehner saves him.

#78 sodbuster

sodbuster

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Beautiful save.

#79 3putt

3putt

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,097 posts

Nice call by Dunleavy, I laughed.

#80 North Buffalo

North Buffalo

When hell freezes over, I’ll play hockey there too.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,424 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 07:17 PM

can Biron be our goalie coach?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: GDT, Anaheim, Mighty Ducks