D - Kulikov, Franson and Fedun
F - Gionta (and McCormick), Grant & COR
G - Lehner, Ullmark
F - Foligno, Larsson, Girgensons
UFA's next year - Gorges, Kane, Falk and Delo
RFA's next year - Eichel, Reinhart, Carrier, Bailey, Baptiste, Fasching & Nelson
Cap Situation: (Capfriendly.com)
Projected cap space: 1.689
Deadline cap space: 7.602
FYI: Bettman said recently that the cap looks to be flat next season, but could rise only to $75 mill in best case scenario.
On paper it seems we still have a chance to make the playoffs. However to get to 92 points with 30 games left would mean we'd have to go 18-8-4. That is nearly an impossible hill for this team to climb. This means we are going to be sellers at the deadline.
Draft pick situation
We have an extra 2nd (Minn) and 3rd (Wash) this season (2017), but no 5th.
We have all of our picks for 2018, but nothing extra.
1) Scoring: We have the 2nd worst offense in the East.
2) Defense: Is it injuries or a lack of talent in slots 3-7 behind Risto and McCabe. I'm going with a lack of talent.
3) PK - Ours in the 2nd worst in the NHL at a terrible 73.8%
4) 4th line center - Grant and COR have both been waived and sent down. Larsson our for the year. That leaves...... a huge hole in the lineup.
5) Lack of near NHL ready D prospects. Guhle is our best D prospect and he is in Jrs and may or not be ready for full time NHL duty.
6) A sniper to play on the top 2 lines now or in the very near future
Franson should draw some interest. Kulikov might also if he can get healthy,
Gionta (if he is interested in being traded) would really help a playoff team and should garner some interest.
Kane? He is probably our most value trade-able asset. Is he part of the core and future or is he an asset to trade to fix the D? Might be easier to move in the off-season.
Edited by yse325, 19 February 2017 - 09:11 PM.