986 replies to this topic

#961 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Playground King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,932 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 09:02 AM

My buddy has two recliners for me, but at this point it'd be nice to have some matching furniture for once haha

Jo and I have been living together for over 5 years. We don't have matching furniture. I don't think my parents bought matching furniture until their second house. It's okay to have ugly mismatched furniture until you're done moving around. 

#962 MattPie

MattPie

J-Bot, U-Bot, and We-Bot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,262 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 09:47 AM

Jo and I have been living together for over 5 years. We don't have matching furniture. I don't think my parents bought matching furniture until their second house. It's okay to have ugly mismatched furniture until you're done moving around. 

Mostly agreed, although I bought a semi-matching couch and recliner from Sam's for my first apartment and those did well for a decade. If you were closer, I'd give you my gigantic red couch in the basement since I'm (read: MrsPie) looking to get rid of it. It's the mirror image of this:

https://www.raymourf...-294931956.aspx

I know d4rk disagrees, but IKEA is a decent option for cheap furniture that'll probably survive a few moves, some of which only requires minimal assembly!

#963 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Playground King

• Members
  • 31,932 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 10:03 AM

Mostly agreed, although I bought a semi-matching couch and recliner from Sam's for my first apartment and those did well for a decade. If you were closer, I'd give you my gigantic red couch in the basement since I'm (read: MrsPie) looking to get rid of it. It's the mirror image of this:

I know d4rk disagrees, but IKEA is a decent option for cheap furniture that'll probably survive a few moves, some of which only requires minimal assembly!

I really don't hate Ikea, I just think pretty much all furniture is overpriced crap. 

#964 TrueBlueGED

TrueBlueGED

#fancystats

• Members
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 10:25 AM

I second IKEA. It's not what you'd want in your dream home, nor is it likely to last 20 years and 4 moves. But I think it's pretty perfect for just starting out when you want something that looks nice and won't break the bank.

Separately, today I encountered road closures due to flash flooding for the first time in my life. Hooray for a 20 minute commute taking an hour!

Edited by TrueBlueGED, 13 July 2017 - 10:26 AM.

#965 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Playground King

• Members
  • 31,932 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 02:47 PM

One of the more interesting benefits of my job is that the work I do takes me around the country every day (on google maps) and you get to see all sorts of interesting things. Today I'm quoting a job for the police station in Mountain Pine, Arkansas. It's a little town of what looks like mostly trailers nestled into the mountains near a lake north of Hot Springs. Next to the town are the remains of a long vacant industrial site, which is very eerie looking. I got curious about what it was and it turns out it was a Weyerhoeuser plywood mill. They closed it in 2006 and it eliminated 340 jobs (which as far as I can tell was probably every job in that town). 

I can't imagine how devastating that must have been. I wonder what that town is even like now. The median income is like 20k. That whole town is below the poverty line. 

#966 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

That Nostalgic Olfactory Blend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,160 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 03:26 PM

You oughta write a book.

And follow Chris Arnade on Twitter.

#967 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Playground King

• Members
  • 31,932 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 03:45 PM

You oughta write a book.

And follow Chris Arnade on Twitter.

Hm. That's actually a really good idea. Good concept too.

I know and like Chris Arnade. 

#968 ubkev

ubkev

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,304 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 03:49 PM

I was cleaning my old things out of my parents house back in NY the other day. I found a treasure trove of awesomeness. I found mint condition Hess trucks, my autograph collection, including an Adam Oates and my Andre Reed that I've been looking for forever! I found old pictures, dear John letters (yeah, more than one lol) and a book of burned CDs! Awesome CDs that I haven't seen in 15 years.

Then I found my old art portfolio. It ranges from 9th to 11th grade and it's completely awesome. It's so cool to look back and see that I never had any talent for art! Haha. And I'm pretty sure I didn't use a pencil once in those 3 years. Nothing but chalk, watercolor and etchings. I'm lucky I still have both ears!

#969 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Playground King

• Members
  • 31,932 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 03:51 PM

I was cleaning my old things out of my parents house back in NY the other day. I found a treasure trove of awesomeness. I found mint condition Hess trucks, my autograph collection, including an Adam Oates and my Andre Reed that I've been looking for forever! I found old pictures, dear John letters (yeah, more than one lol) and a book of burned CDs! Awesome CDs that I haven't seen in 15 years.

Then I found my old art portfolio. It ranges from 9th to 11th grade and it's completely awesome. It's so cool to look back and see that I never had any talent for art! Haha. And I'm pretty sure I didn't use a pencil once in those 3 years. Nothing but chalk, watercolor and etchings. I'm lucky I still have both ears!

Pics or shens

#970 ubkev

ubkev

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,304 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 03:54 PM

Pics or shens

Hahaha, come on man. Just let me share my embarrassment through words.

Something might go up on Twitter later.

Edited by ubkev, 13 July 2017 - 03:54 PM.

#971 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Playground King

• Members
  • 31,932 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 03:56 PM

Hahaha, come on man. Just let me share my embarrassment through words.

Something might go up on Twitter later.

tenor.gif

#972 ubkev

ubkev

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,304 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 04:34 PM

Here ya go.

https://twitter.com/...610662025678850

#973 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 08:52 PM

I think they are quite good.

#974 ubkev

ubkev

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,304 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 05:18 AM

When a grown ass man approaches you with a hypothetical situation that you are 100% sure just occurred in an effort to tattle on someone without actually tattling. "If blah blah blah were to occur, what would happen?" But he's not gonna tell me who or when, he just wants to make a mental note because he's a psycho and he sees all of these perceived inconsistencies over the littlest crap.

You sir, are a douche of the highest order. I can only hope you were shoved into many lockers in highschool.

#975 shrader

shrader

Enduring tortures most of which rhyme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,751 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 08:15 AM

Every day there's always a bee or two in the shrubs in front of my house.  This morning I stopped counting at a dozen.  I don't even know what they are, but the bees sure do love them.  In the last couple months, it was always bumble bees, but the last couple days it has switched over to the smaller bees (honeybees I assume).

#976 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 09:33 AM

Every day there's always a bee or two in the shrubs in front of my house.  This morning I stopped counting at a dozen.  I don't even know what they are, but the bees sure do love them.  In the last couple months, it was always bumble bees, but the last couple days it has switched over to the smaller bees (honeybees I assume).

Bees are incredible.

There is a chapter in the Qur'an dedicated to the bee.

#977 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Playground King

• Members
  • 31,932 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 09:40 AM

Bees are incredible.

There is a chapter in the Qur'an dedicated to the bee.

Got a link to the text online? 

#978 ubkev

ubkev

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,304 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 09:42 AM

I know a guy who keeps bees. He has his own honey and all kinds of honey flavored liquors.

#979 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 09:57 AM

Got a link to the text online? 

http://www.islam101....quran/yusufAli/

Above is a link to the only English interpretation that I fully trust.  It is by Abdullah Yusuf Ali, who dedicated a large portion of his life to this work (http://en.wikipedia....ullah_Yusuf_Ali)

The Sura (Chapter) is 16.  Like most of the Qur'an there are many topics covered in each Sura, but the name of the Sura will highlight the main focus.  The part about the Bee is only two Ayat (verses) long, but it is extremely enlightening.  The Ayat about the Bee are 68 and 69.

Please understand that it was well over 1,000 years after this revelation was revealed that modern man and our modern science figured out how the Bee works to make it's dwellings and navigates to the flowers and back to the hive.  How they make honey and it's health benefits.  Not to mention the 'dances' they perform and the information that they relay to the hive.

EDIT TO ADD:

A disclaimer that the above is strictly to inform.  I am not preaching, as there must be no compulsion in Religion.

Salam / Peace.

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS, 17 July 2017 - 10:00 AM.

#980 We've

We've

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:12 AM

Honeybees are awesome. I really enjoy watching them collect pollen.

Hornets, on the other hand, are ######.

#981 shrader

shrader

Enduring tortures most of which rhyme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,751 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 01:05 PM

Honeybees are awesome. I really enjoy watching them collect pollen.

Hornets, on the other hand, are ######.

These bushes really struggled for a while, so I take the bees as a very positive sign.  My only complaint is that I need to trim them a bit, but there's always a damn bee buzzing around.

#982 WildCard

WildCard

Gunner's Mate First Class: Philip A$$hole

• Members
  • 20,703 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 06:06 PM

Anyone else having the forum 504 a lot lately?

#983 We've

We've

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 06:15 PM

Just started working now for me.

#984 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 06:26 PM

We were down for about 3+ hours, maybe a lot +, I lost track.

#985 Saratoga Sabres Fan

Saratoga Sabres Fan

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 07:37 PM

I haven't been able to access it on a desktop this evening at all, cell only.

#986 iTInSn

iTInSn

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 08:05 PM

No beer at all today. My gut has been getting fat so I'm back in the gym and cutting out beer. I've been drinking tequila and a squeeze of lime on ice all night. Not sure if I'll consume more or less alcohol this way but I'll cut some calories for sure.

#987 MattPie

MattPie

J-Bot, U-Bot, and We-Bot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,262 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 10:50 PM

I was getting nginx error pages today. Bad gateway, error 502.

Since this is the random thread and we're talking numbers, when driving I'll see highway numbers that have some significance in tech and they make me chuckle. My two favorites are PA443 (The HTTP over SSL Highway) and DE404, Highway not found.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: off topic