126 replies to this topic

#41 Doohickie

Doohickie

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,879 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 02:48 PM

I wouldn't call you a jerk as such, d4rk.  A complete wanker perhaps, but not a jerk.

#42 dudacek

dudacek

Graveyard-whistle-past-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,974 posts

Questions to the mods:
how many complaints have they received about conduct in the politics thread?
How many people are you aware of leaving because of the politics thread?

Edited by dudacek, 12 December 2016 - 02:49 PM.

#43 Derrico

Derrico

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,506 posts

It was my New Years resolution in that thread last year, I gotta do it :lol:

Honestly didn't care until the Random Thread was deleted. I liked that thread a lot. Given the politics threads longevity and how well a lot of the posters in that thread know each other, there's no way to eliminate that discussion. And if it leaks into other threads, ones others enjoy, and the policy is to obliterate the thread, well now I'm sour

Wait....the random thread is gone?????

#44 Doohickie

Doohickie

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,879 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 02:49 PM

Try to keep up, man.

#45 spndnchz

spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,138 posts

***Please be more specific***

-automated response... will delete in....

#46 WildCard

WildCard

Gunner's Mate First Class: Philip A$$hole

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,243 posts

Wait....the random thread is gone?????

It's back. Shrader however may not be

#47 Taro T

Taro T

It leads you here despite your destination under the MW tonight.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,501 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 02:51 PM

I fixed the thread title for you chz

You do realize that new title works for a good 50%+ of ALL threads here, right? Pretty friggin' generic. :P

#48 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Give me that fish!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,593 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 02:52 PM

You do realize that new title works for a good 50%+ of ALL threads here, right? Pretty friggin' generic. :P

Ughhhhhhh hold on

#49 Taro T

Taro T

It leads you here despite your destination under the MW tonight.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,501 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 02:53 PM

Ughhhhhhh hold on

:lol:

#50 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,643 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 02:53 PM

Hey I never doubted you and I thought that shrader would have come in and deleted it.

I'm not sure if a mod can delete, or just lock any thread.  It would be bad form for a mod to delete any thread that they did not start, IMO.

Was it not you that started the awesome thread, which is just like a random thread?  I do like the awesome thread, but it has nothing to do with hockey and the Sabres.

#51 MattPie

MattPie

Hello, sailor!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,867 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 02:54 PM

Ugh, how abot "The thread in which d4rksabre is a jerk about subforums".

#52 Doohickie

Doohickie

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,879 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 02:55 PM

Questions to the mods:
how many complaints have they received about conduct in the politics thread?
How many people are you aware of leaving because of the politics thread?

I, for one, alternately post in, and get frustrated by, the politics thread.  For those people I get most frustrated with, I put them on ignore for a while.  Maybe I restore them, maybe not.  I think I have two on ignore at the moment.

When I get so frustrated I can't deal with the the thread anymore.... I don't go in.  It's not that difficult.  We're adults (mostly, anyway) and I think we can all act like it.

If we ever wanted to get to the point of a no-holds-barred thread, we could try something I've seen on another forum.  They started a subforum called "Trollheim" (the home of trolls or something like that).  Over there anything goes.  Anything.  If you don't like it, don't post there.  To keep amateurs and the faint of heart out, they set up a password for the subforum.  To get the password you have to IM one of the admins.  So people can't say they "innocently" tripped into that forum.  If you went in there, it was a deliberate act, and you don't have a right to complain.

I don't think this forum is quite up to that, but it's an interesting concept.

#53 spndnchz

spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,138 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 02:56 PM

Ughhhhhhh hold on

FTR, I don't see you being a jerk to me. I see you getting upset that you aren't getting your way.

#54 Drunkard

Drunkard

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 02:57 PM

SDS just confirmed that it was not a moderator that deleted the original random thread, so the only possibility was that shrader deleted, not just locked, but deleted it, which means it *never happened*.

It appears that shrader has abandoned us and is attempting to scrub everything attributed to his time here.

Now it's time to get to the important part of the discussion. Do posts in deleted threads get reflected in reducing our post counts? If so, that is a travesty and I demand justice! Justice I say! Unfortunately I can't verify the truthiness of my accusation because I have no idea what my post count was before the thread got deleted or how many posts I had in there (or even what my current post count is now come to think of it). I'm not even sure why the thought popped into my head honestly, other than as an excuse to demand retribution.

#55 Doohickie

Doohickie

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,879 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 02:58 PM

OT - The thread in which d4rksabre is a jerk to the mod staff

Again.... too generic.

#56 WildCard

WildCard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,243 posts

TL;DR, d4rk jerks the mod staff

Edited by WildCard, 12 December 2016 - 02:59 PM.

#57 SDS

SDS

• SS Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,998 posts

Hey I never doubted you and I thought that shrader would have come in and deleted it.

I'm not sure if a mod can delete, or just lock any thread.  It would be bad form for a mod to delete any thread that they did not start, IMO.

Was it not you that started the awesome thread, which is just like a random thread?  I do like the awesome thread, but it has nothing to do with hockey and the Sabres.

I apologize, but I am unaware of where this undercurrent of anti-"any OT" sentiment is being discussed. I am well aware of the current state of the "Presidential Politics" thread.

#58 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,643 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 02:59 PM

Now it's time to get to the important part of the discussion. Do posts in deleted threads get reflected in reducing our post counts? If so, that is a travesty and I demand justice! Justice I say! Unfortunately I can't verify the truthiness of my accusation because I have no idea what my post count was before the thread got deleted or how many posts I had in there (or even what my current post count is now come to think of it). I'm not even sure why the thought popped into my head honestly, other than as an excuse to demand retribution.

No.  Your post count does not get reduced, but all your posts in the deleted thread are gone with it, as if they never were posted.  They are not even available in your profile list of your content.

#59 sabills

sabills

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 03:00 PM

I don't know about all the rest, but I want to put a vote in against an OT subforum. From my, sadly, extensive online forum experience, when you have an OT subforum, eventually that's the only place people hangout, and then the real point of the forum is lost. Its happened to me on a paintball forum and two previous Buffalo sports forums. 

#60 MattPie

MattPie

Hello, sailor!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,867 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 03:01 PM

I'm pretty sure they can, and should be able to. That's their "job". If someone started the "##### ###### #####  ##### lying ##### jerk ######" with the first post being a string of obfuscated obscenities to get by the filter, I'm happy the mods could go delete that. As longs as we have good mods (and we do here), there's no issue with them wielding complete control of the content.

Edited by MattPie, 12 December 2016 - 03:02 PM.

#61 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,643 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 03:06 PM

I'm not ready to address the larger issues brought up here, but let me just clear one point up. The moderators did not delete "the Random thread". Posters who lack factual information, but proceed to accuse and confront anyway, are not helping matters.

I apologize, but I am unaware of where this undercurrent of anti-"any OT" sentiment is being discussed. I am well aware of the current state of the "Presidential Politics" thread.

My apologies.  I took a different read on your first post above.

#62 Doohickie

Doohickie

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,879 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 03:06 PM

As longs as they own the forum and have the right to control its content (or have been deputized by those that do), there's no issue with them wielding complete control of the content.

fify

#63 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Give me that fish!

• Members
  • 30,593 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 03:07 PM

FTR, I don't see you being a jerk to me. I see you getting upset that you aren't getting your way.

I would like to see the forum moderated fairly. There are double standards from both SDS and nfreeman as far as what constitutes acceptable conduct, language, demeanor, etc. 

Between harassment over mega-threads, capricious bannings, and arbitrary closing of threads (the Kane rape threads were far more volatile than the Politics thread has ever been but it stayed open), I'm not sure it's clear what forum members should expect here both of each other and from the staff. Sometimes we have boundless freedom, and other times the leash is short. 

What is the goal of all of this? 

#64 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,643 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 03:08 PM

I'm pretty sure they can, and should be able to. That's their "job". If someone started the "##### ###### #####  ##### lying ##### jerk ######" with the first post being a string of obfuscated obscenities to get by the filter, I'm happy the mods could go delete that. As longs as we have good mods (and we do here), there's no issue with them wielding complete control of the content.

Good point.

And I certainly agree with your take on the mods here.  In fact, everyone here is a good moderator, as many times there are no *official* mods logged on and the place never really erupts.

#65 K-9

K-9

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,666 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 03:12 PM

I would like to see the forum moderated fairly. There are double standards from both SDS and nfreeman as far as what constitutes acceptable conduct, language, demeanor, etc. 

Between harassment over mega-threads, capricious bannings, and arbitrary closing of threads (the Kane rape threads were far more volatile than the Politics thread has ever been but it stayed open), I'm not sure it's clear what forum members should expect here both of each other and from the staff. Sometimes we have boundless freedom, and other times the leash is short. 

The goal of all this is to win hockey games. 

#66 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Give me that fish!

• Members
  • 30,593 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 03:13 PM

Ugh, we're not doing a good job of that are we. 

#67 spndnchz

spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,138 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 03:14 PM

Does not affect post count. (Like that has anything to do with forum decorum or hockey IQ)

Thank you.

There are at least 15 OT threads on the front page out of @ 36 Topics.

There's only 4 banned members in the past 2 years.  Only 10 warnings (3 of those to the same person) in the last year. That's hardly heavy handed.

#68 North Buffalo

North Buffalo

When hell freezes over, I’ll play hockey there too.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 03:14 PM

Ugh, we're not doing a good job of that are we.

Someone put on their grumpy pants today.

#69 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Give me that fish!

• Members
  • 30,593 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 03:15 PM

Shrader's gone, someone has to be grumpy.

#70 Touched by Boyes

Touched by Boyes

Honorary Canadian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 03:15 PM

Wait - have we started winning hockey games? Cause last I checked we have been historically bad for 2 + years.

If you're looking for a reason for so many OT Threads, it starts and ends there.

Edited by Touched by Boyes, 12 December 2016 - 03:16 PM.

#71 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,667 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 03:18 PM

I hear ya! That goes for all the post leaders who were here before the days of post merging! It's just not fair, oh the humanity, stop the insanity!

Edited by JJFIVEOH, 12 December 2016 - 03:19 PM.

#72 WildCard

WildCard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,243 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 03:19 PM

Wait - have we started winning hockey games? Cause last I checked we have been historically bad for 2 + years.

If you're looking for a reason for so many OT Threads, it starts and ends there.

Bingo

#73 beerme1

beerme1

Pro Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,112 posts
  • Location:Sitting with Chet and Muffy in section 223 which is the best for scouting Muffy

Posted 12 December 2016 - 03:26 PM

The goal is to win multiple Stanley Cups.

#74 North Buffalo

North Buffalo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 03:29 PM

Bingo

Anyone want to go ride bikes??
Mom Im bored!!!

#75 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,667 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 03:30 PM

Anyone want to go ride bikes??
Mom Im bored!!!

ME! 

Might take me a while to get there though. 

#76 North Buffalo

North Buffalo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 03:30 PM

lol

#77 Derrico

Derrico

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,506 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 03:31 PM

The goal is to win multiple Stanley Cups.

The reason for existence.....

#78 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

from the bottom to the top

• Members
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 03:33 PM

I hear ya! That goes for all the post leaders who were here before the days of post merging! It's just not fair, oh the humanity, stop the insanity!

I actually like post merging and use it often. 

#79 Touched by Boyes

Touched by Boyes

Honorary Canadian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 03:42 PM

I do too. When I forget to quote something I can usually just do it in the next quote and they will merge without having to edit.

#80 K-9

K-9

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,666 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 03:42 PM

Is that like spooning?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Off Topic