126 replies to this topic

#1 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Give me that fish!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,647 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 12:58 PM

It appears that the simple mention of the Politics thread, one of this forum's most popular threads over the last 4 years, is enough to upset our moderator staff. If locking or deleting OT threads is the way we're going to handle things here, then I'm not sure what this forum is going to offer moving forward that sets it apart from other forums. Might as well go to HF Boards. 

I suggest that perhaps a Sub-Forum be created for Off-Topic Discussion within The Aud Club and all OT threads be moved there. This will keep the hockey part of our community separate and if no one wants to read OT threads, then they don't have to enter the Sub-Forum. 

I will also volunteer myself to moderate the Off-Topic sub-forum so that our current moderators never have to read a politics thread ever again. 

#2 MattPie

MattPie

Hello, sailor!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,868 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 01:10 PM

Thanks for stepping up, d4rk. I agree, this place seems to have a community whose common interests go far beyond Sabres or the NHL. SDS of course runs the show and can do as he likes, but I feel like it'll be a loss if the discussion is limited down to just hockey. I've seen two online communities I was very active in go through this kind of thing and neither has been the same since. One of them, a cabal with myself included started a parallel community to get out from a moderator that was driving good people away and all we ended up doing was fragmenting the community and it hasn't been the same since. Oddly enough, that was over politics too. I still feel guilty about that one.

Of course, it could just be a coincidence and a few threads got deleted by the original poster at the same time and the mods have nothing to do with it.

#3 Drunkard

Drunkard

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,801 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 01:21 PM

I'd be happy to have a separate off topic sub forum if it includes a politics thread. I used to post religiously on the official Bills message board until the politics threads over there got shut down and I've spent less and less time there over the years since political and religious threads were eliminated. We're about to enter an unprecedented Presidency in a few short weeks and not being able to discuss the countless topics that spring up from the news and current events is ridiculous. I'd rather not have to spend time jumping to multiple message boards depending on the topic I want to discuss and I appreciate the fact that we're all Sabres fans and mostly all Bills fans as well.

#4 Huckleberry

Huckleberry

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,614 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 01:24 PM

an OT sub forum would be nice, I'm now always looking for some OT threads to much most of the time in between all the hockey related threads.

#5 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,672 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 01:32 PM

I like this idea a lot.

#6 WildCard

WildCard

Gunner's Mate First Class: Philip A$$hole

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,279 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 01:44 PM

I like your willingness to help d4rk, but I don't like the solution. This board is what it is because of those threads, and making them separate feels like we're just making it a separate board. Plus, when I refresh now more than half the time new content is in one of those OT threads. Without them on this place will look dead

#7 TrueBlueGED

TrueBlueGED

#fancystats

• Members
  • 22,560 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 01:46 PM

My assumption is the response is going to be something along the lines of "If you want to talk about politics, go find a politics forum."

While I can understand that position as there does tend to be bleed into other non-politics threads (including subconscious judgments of posters), the look of it couldn't be worse given the timing and political proclivities of the most active moderator in the now defunct thread. I also think it's emblematic of a society-wide problem, but that's a whole other kettle of fish as I don't expect Sabrespace to try to solve the country's discourse issues (though having common bonds outside of politics can solve a lot of us vs them problems associated with talking about politics...).

All that aside, I think the variety of off topic discussion we have here is unique, and one of the strengths of the community. It'd be a shame if every OT thread that has a few consecutive political posts got nuked. Furthermore, given the state of the Sabres (and more tangentially the Bills), I think it's downright necessary to have robust OT discussion to keep people around and interacting with any regularity. To that end, I'm not sure if a separate OT subforum helps or hurts through further segmenting posters.

#8 WildCard

WildCard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,279 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 01:53 PM

So, should I start a politics thread?

#9 TrueBlueGED

TrueBlueGED

#fancystats

• Members
  • 22,560 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 01:57 PM

So, should I start a politics thread?

Pretty sure it'd just get locked/deleted, so I wouldn't bother if I were you.

#10 WildCard

WildCard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,279 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 01:58 PM

Pretty sure it'd just get locked/deleted, so I wouldn't bother if I were you.

I can just keep making them.

Or we talk about politics in every thread related to hockey instead

Edited by WildCard, 12 December 2016 - 01:58 PM.

#11 TrueBlueGED

TrueBlueGED

#fancystats

• Members
  • 22,560 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 01:59 PM

I can just keep making them.

And get banned? I CAN'T LOSE YOU!

Really though, I don't think there's a reason to be antagonistic about it. I do think it warrants a discussion either way, however.

#12 Cereal

Cereal

An All America Breakfast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 02:02 PM

I've never opened the Politics thread, and I have also stayed out of some of the other recurrent OT threads in recent years (Random, Thursdays, Fridays, Movies/TV, Eating/Drinking...)

That said, I have never once had an issue with those threads clogging the first main page.

There may be other issues aside from that, but I thought I'd offer my two cents.

#13 Touched by Boyes

Touched by Boyes

Honorary Canadian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,884 posts

I'd be happy to have a separate off topic sub forum if it includes a politics thread. I used to post religiously on the official Bills message board until the politics threads over there got shut down and I've spent less and less time there over the years since political and religious threads were eliminated. We're about to enter an unprecedented Presidency in a few short weeks and not being able to discuss the countless topics that spring up from the news and current events is ridiculous. I'd rather not have to spend time jumping to multiple message boards depending on the topic I want to discuss and I appreciate the fact that we're all Sabres fans and mostly all Bills fans as well.

I think the OT threads around here provide a lot of value, and keeps the activity higher than it would be otherwise given the sorry state of the team over the last few years. I come just as often for the Complaint Thursday, Fantastic Friday, Workout, Eating/Beer/Whisky threads as I do the GDT and Sabres-related threads. The OT threads help to add a sense of community and lets us all get to know each other outside of who your favorite player is or how you feel about DDB or GMTM.

I for one would be far less active if we were only allowed to talk about hockey related topics. my .02 of course.

#14 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Give me that fish!

• Members
  • 30,647 posts

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I'm just trying to solve a problem here. Clearly our OT discussions, including politics, are a part of our community. But I've often felt that OT threads, especially the Politics thread, were more tolerated than encouraged. We've seen some complaining lately about not wanting to moderate these threads. If getting someone else to moderate them is what it takes to ensure they aren't closed for childish things like "timeouts" then I volunteer as tribute. 

#15 Touched by Boyes

Touched by Boyes

Honorary Canadian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,884 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 02:03 PM

There may be other issues aside from that, but I thought I'd offer my two cents.

between the two of us we almost have a nickel! :w00t:

#16 WildCard

WildCard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,279 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 02:03 PM

And get banned? I CAN'T LOSE YOU!

Really though, I don't think there's a reason to be antagonistic about it. I do think it warrants a discussion either way, however.

It was my New Years resolution in that thread last year, I gotta do it :lol:

Honestly didn't care until the Random Thread was deleted. I liked that thread a lot. Given the politics threads longevity and how well a lot of the posters in that thread know each other, there's no way to eliminate that discussion. And if it leaks into other threads, ones others enjoy, and the policy is to obliterate the thread, well now I'm sour

#17 Wyldnwoody44

Wyldnwoody44

All Sabres fans lives matter!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,170 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 02:04 PM

I'm so anti politics and I have even visited the thread this year, that's saying something, I think it should be there and enter at your own risk

#18 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,681 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 02:21 PM

I like your willingness to help d4rk, but I don't like the solution. This board is what it is because of those threads, and making them separate feels like we're just making it a separate board. Plus, when I refresh now more than half the time new content is in one of those OT threads. Without them on this place will look dead

I agree. What's the sense in separating a political thread? Is it to cut down on heated discussions? If members don't want to get involved in political discussion, then don't open the thread. It's pretty simple. 

The longer that thread remains closed, the more political discussions will infiltrate other threads. I've seen a couple of threads where it almost got going. 

I understand why it got closed, it got a little heated. But that thread is the longest thread on this forum, and it rarely gets to the point where it's out of control and the posters in question haven't kissed and made up. Hell, take some of the longest hockey related threads and if you take into consideration the number of replies in those threads, the hockey threads were probably more heated. 

No need to separate us. 

#19 SDS

SDS

• SS Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,998 posts

I'm not ready to address the larger issues brought up here, but let me just clear one point up. The moderators did not delete "the Random thread". Posters who lack factual information, but proceed to accuse and confront anyway, are not helping matters.

#20 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,681 posts

I'm so anti politics and I have even visited the thread this year, that's saying something, I think it should be there and enter at your own risk

Word

#21 ddaryl

ddaryl

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 02:22 PM

this is a sabres forum.. ALLOT subjects should be removed.. If I want to talk politics or any other subject there are 1000's of places to do that.. I come here to never even see political subjects posted...

if someone slips a political reference into a thread 1 warning then ban IMO

Edited by ddaryl, 12 December 2016 - 02:23 PM.

#22 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,681 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 02:24 PM

Wait, what!?!?!?!?!?!??! The random thread got deleted? I just got here and must have missed it. What's going on here? 

What is creating more dissension, the occasional argument that usually ends up in peace............ or moderators trying to control what really isn't a problem in the first place? 

#23 K-9

K-9

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,666 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 02:24 PM

I'm totally in favor of having a place to voice my displeasure with and discuss Donald Trump's continued hiring of cabinet officials to run departments they detest, his disturbing trend to surround himself with "generals" which makes us look more and more like a banana republic, and the similarities to dictators whose name and image are plastered all over the land so that the populace ALWAYS has a sense of your omnipotent presence. 

Oops. 

#24 Taro T

Taro T

It leads you here despite your destination under the MW tonight.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,515 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 02:26 PM

My assumption is the response is going to be something along the lines of "If you want to talk about politics, go find a politics forum."
While I can understand that position as there does tend to be bleed into other non-politics threads (including subconscious judgments of posters), the look of it couldn't be worse given the timing and political proclivities of the most active moderator in the now defunct thread. I also think it's emblematic of a society-wide problem, but that's a whole other kettle of fish as I don't expect Sabrespace to try to solve the country's discourse issues (though having common bonds outside of politics can solve a lot of us vs them problems associated with talking about politics...).
All that aside, I think the variety of off topic discussion we have here is unique, and one of the strengths of the community. It'd be a shame if every OT thread that has a few consecutive political posts got nuked. Furthermore, given the state of the Sabres (and more tangentially the Bills), I think it's downright necessary to have robust OT discussion to keep people around and interacting with any regularity. To that end, I'm not sure if a separate OT subforum helps or hurts through further segmenting posters.

IMHO, this board has too few threads/posters to support a subforum at present. There'll appear to be even less going on around here than there actually is.

That stated I was very disappointed the political thread was shut down. Though I rarely posted there, it was an interesting place to read. Again, IMHO, that thread should be reopened or a new one started.

Really don't get why the random thread disappeared, but did see that Shrader was "active" this morning. Would guess that he closed it down.

#25 WildCard

WildCard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,279 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 02:29 PM

IMHO, this board has too few threads/posters to support a subforum at present. There'll appear to be even less going on around here than there actually is.

That stated I was very disappointed the political thread was shut down. Though I rarely posted there, it was an interesting place to read. Again, IMHO, that thread should be reopened or a new one started.

Really don't get why the random thread disappeared, but did see that Shrader was "active" this morning. Would guess that he closed it down.

Well of Shrader closed it, I apologize to the mods.

#26 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Give me that fish!

• Members
  • 30,647 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 02:30 PM

I'm not ready to address the larger issues brought up here, but let me just clear one point up. The moderators did not delete "the Random thread". Posters who lack factual information, but proceed to accuse and confront anyway, are not helping matters.

It's only fair to assume that the thread was deleted by mod staff. If it was not, then so be it, but political content overflowing into it and causing some "other" to delete the thread is a direct result of heavy-handed moderation of a thread that we were told from the start would not be moderated. I have to draw logical conclusions based on the past historical actions of the mod staff here, including banning members for arbitrary reasons and for attempting to shut down valuable discussions. 

I won't be apologizing for laying blame at the feet of the mod staff today. Don't wanna get blamed? Don't give me the cause to lay blame. Benefit of the doubt is in short supply from where I'm sitting. 

#27 SDS

SDS

• SS Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,998 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 02:32 PM

It's only fair to assume that the thread was deleted by mod staff. If it was not, then so be it, but political content overflowing into it and causing some "other" to delete the thread is a direct result of heavy-handed moderation of a thread that we were told from the start would not be moderated. I have to draw logical conclusions based on the past historical actions of the mod staff here, including banning members for arbitrary reasons and for attempting to shut down valuable discussions. 

I won't be apologizing for laying blame at the feet of the mod staff today. Don't wanna get blamed? Don't give me the cause to lay blame. Benefit of the doubt is in short supply from where I'm sitting. 

Golf clap.

You have the grace of a wet fart.

#28 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,672 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 02:32 PM

SDS just confirmed that it was not a moderator that deleted the original random thread, so the only possibility was that shrader deleted, not just locked, but deleted it, which means it *never happened*.

It appears that shrader has abandoned us and is attempting to scrub everything attributed to his time here.

#29 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Give me that fish!

• Members
  • 30,647 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 02:34 PM

Golf clap.

You have the grace of a wet fart.

I've learned from the best. 

#30 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,672 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 02:35 PM

Oh, boy.

This won't end well either.

#31 WildCard

WildCard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,279 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 02:36 PM

Oh, boy.

This won't end well either.

Yeah but it's fun to watch

#32 SDS

SDS

• SS Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,998 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 02:38 PM

SDS just confirmed that it was not a moderator that deleted the original random thread, so the only possibility was that shrader deleted, not just locked, but deleted it, which means it *never happened*.

It appears that shrader has abandoned us and is attempting to scrub everything attributed to his time here.

Attached File  shrader.PNG   48.14KB   9 downloads

#33 spndnchz

spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,145 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 02:40 PM

Descriptive topic titles are an asset to our community. It helps community members recognize which conversations they might want to read or participate in.

Please refrain from using generic topic titles, including player name only titles. If you can take the time to start a conversation, you can take a moment and properly label it.

The original poster can edit the title.

Thanks for making SabreSpace a better place.

#34 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Jack Eichel Construction

• Members
  • 24,456 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 02:42 PM

I wondered where shrader had been. Now we know he's been working for Terry.

#35 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Give me that fish!

• Members
  • 30,647 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 02:43 PM

I fixed the thread title for you chz

#36 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,681 posts

343j1fl.gif

#37 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Jack Eichel Construction

• Members
  • 24,456 posts

Descriptive topic titles are an asset to our community. It helps community members recognize which conversations they might want to read or participate in.

Please refrain from using generic topic titles, including player name only titles. If you can take the time to start a conversation, you can take a moment and properly label it.

The original poster can edit the title.

Thanks for making SabreSpace a better place.

It's a great title. There's no way you're not going to open this thread.

#38 TrueBlueGED

TrueBlueGED

#fancystats

• Members
  • 22,560 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 02:46 PM

Yeah but it's fun to watch

Not really. I don't think we need to go all scorched Earth here, and would take little joy in it happening.

#39 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

from the bottom to the top

• Members
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 02:47 PM

alternate title: "How to keep the politics thread from overrunning things"

"The sub forum proposition thread" 

Not really. I don't think we need to go all scorched Earth here, and would take little joy in it happening.

I agree. 

I do think having a discussion about content and the politics thread though is warranted. 

Edited by LGR4GM, 12 December 2016 - 02:48 PM.

#40 TrueBlueGED

TrueBlueGED

#fancystats

• Members
  • 22,560 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 02:47 PM

Well played :lol:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Off Topic