1020 replies to this topic

#81 Randall Flagg

Randall Flagg

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,918 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 03:48 PM

nhllotterysimulator.com allows you to simulate the draft lottery outcome as many times as you would like. Took a little time and simulated it 100 times. As of right now, the Sabres would have the 4th highest lottery odds behind the Avalanche, Coyotes and the Jets. Out of 100 simulations, the Sabres won the 1st pick 14 times (2nd to Avalanche's 26 times). They won the 2nd pick 8 times (tied for 5th most with the Islanders). And they won the 3rd pick 9 times (tied with the Stars, Red Wings and Coyotes for 4th most). Overall, it played out like the odds would suggest. The Sabres won a top 3 pick the 4th most of any team with 31/100. It'll be interesting to see how the rest of the season plays out and if we get some lottery luck when/if that time comes.

Unfortunately, that is inaccurate, isn't it? Because I believe that Vegas gets the third lottery slot. Right now Arizona and Colorado are tank-Sabres level bad, and will not be caught. With Vegas in that third spot, the Sabres' only chance at a high lottery position is being 4th-worst. Which is not ideal for someone hoping for a top 3 pick. 

Maybe the luck finally does swing our way this time, though. It would be fitting, in a draft that is dwarfed by the ones that surround it.

#82 TXSabresFan

TXSabresFan

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 10:32 PM

Unfortunately, that is inaccurate, isn't it? Because I believe that Vegas gets the third lottery slot. Right now Arizona and Colorado are tank-Sabres level bad, and will not be caught. With Vegas in that third spot, the Sabres' only chance at a high lottery position is being 4th-worst. Which is not ideal for someone hoping for a top 3 pick.

Maybe the luck finally does swing our way this time, though. It would be fitting, in a draft that is dwarfed by the ones that surround it.

Shoot. Yeah I forgot to factor Vegas into it. We'll definitely have to see how the luck plays out. I definitely wouldn't mind a shot at getting Hischier with a top 2-3 pick

#83 Randall Flagg

Randall Flagg

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,918 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 10:36 PM

Shoot. Yeah I forgot to factor Vegas into it. We'll definitely have to see how the luck plays out. I definitely wouldn't mind a shot at getting Hischier with a top 2-3 pick

So, what made you a hockey fan, and decide on the Buffalo Sabres?

#84 TXSabresFan

TXSabresFan

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 11:42 PM

So, what made you a hockey fan, and decide on the Buffalo Sabres?

I actually went on a mission trip to UB and Buff State with a group from a college ministry I'm a part of this past Spring. While we were there we were able to go to the Sabres vs. Carolina game where Eichel scored in OT right as OT was about to win. I had been to some Stars games but none of them compared to the fans in Buffalo and the excitement of that game. So since then I've been paying more and more attention to the team. This year a few buddies and I are doing a fantasy hockey league so that's helped me learn about more players and kinda make me want to learn more about the Sabres especially. It's definitely been a lot of fun getting into hockey and watching the Sabres!

#85 Randall Flagg

Randall Flagg

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,918 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 11:56 PM

I actually went on a mission trip to UB and Buff State with a group from a college ministry I'm a part of this past Spring. While we were there we were able to go to the Sabres vs. Carolina game where Eichel scored in OT right as OT was about to win. I had been to some Stars games but none of them compared to the fans in Buffalo and the excitement of that game. So since then I've been paying more and more attention to the team. This year a few buddies and I are doing a fantasy hockey league so that's helped me learn about more players and kinda make me want to learn more about the Sabres especially. It's definitely been a lot of fun getting into hockey and watching the Sabres!

That's an awesome story, and the perfect game to have gone to. My favorite Sabres memory in years.

Youtube is your friend for general franchise highlights, there are loads of good videos. And this forum is the best place around to get up to speed with everything you can't find there! I hope your love for the game and the team can continue to grow. It's been hard to be a fan the past decade, but I think we're close to the end of the suffering. Hope you stick around! 

#86 TXSabresFan

TXSabresFan

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 12:25 AM

That's an awesome story, and the perfect game to have gone to. My favorite Sabres memory in years.

Youtube is your friend for general franchise highlights, there are loads of good videos. And this forum is the best place around to get up to speed with everything you can't find there! I hope your love for the game and the team can continue to grow. It's been hard to be a fan the past decade, but I think we're close to the end of the suffering. Hope you stick around!

I appreciate the tips! This forum definitely has helped my overall knowledge of the team. Here's to hoping for some good years of hockey ahead!

#87 Crusader1969

Crusader1969

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 04:04 PM

Easily the best recap of draft eligibles in the OHL

http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/

Tippett is now listed as the top prospect in league and could be a top 5 pick

Edited by Crusader1969, 12 February 2017 - 04:05 PM.

#88 Crusader1969

Crusader1969

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 05:08 PM

Just released - March rankings.

Liljegren ranked at #3 and Makar #10 are top two Dmen. Hopefully one is there when the Sabres draft.

http://www.sportsnet...-rankings-march

#89 Crusader1969

Crusader1969

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 11:17 PM

This is probably the best scouting report I've seen on Liljegren. Very detailed he is still a young man trying to figure it out but his decision making does worry me a bit.

http://draftineurope.blogspot.ca/

Edited by Crusader1969, 09 March 2017 - 11:19 PM.

#90 Crusader1969

Crusader1969

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 06:12 PM

Craig Buttons mock draft, he is thinking exactly like me with the best 2. Dmen in the draft
:

Makar at 4 and Liljigren at 5

Hopefully, one falls a bit further to the Sabres or Sabres get into the lottery spots.

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre

#91 Crusader1969

Crusader1969

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 07:55 PM

Since the Sabres game is not worth watching
, here is an article on Valimaki for you to read

http://www.dubnetwor...juuso-valimaki/

#92 Crusader1969

Crusader1969

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 10:20 PM

The 10 dmen to know how n this years draft

http://thehockeywrit...eman-prospects/

#93 Crusader1969

Crusader1969

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 01:00 PM

Here is the March update to one of my favorite Draft resource sites:

http://www.draftbuzzhockey.com/

I like where he has Liljegren and Makar - right in line where Sabres will more than likely be drafting. Valimaki is also an interesting prospect that is growing on me as I do more and more draft research.

Do you take the best Dman available to them or do you stick with BPA? 

9 times out of 10 I say BPA but this year I'm going D unless you are able to pick Hischier or Patrick and possibly Tippett (my guess for picks 1-3).

Edited by Crusader1969, 13 March 2017 - 01:18 PM.

#94 Doohickie

Doohickie

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,469 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 01:04 PM

If I get 1-3, I might try to parlay that into a highly-rated defensive prospect that's closer to being NHL-ready.

#95 Crusader1969

Crusader1969

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 02:14 PM

For 1 to 3, Id want a LHD to start next to Risto next year. Those type of guys are so hard to come by, especially if they are young - I think your best change to get one is by drafting him.

Case in Point - MTL wouldn't give up Sergachev for Kane. (as per Elliotte Friedman)

#96 Doohickie

Doohickie

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,469 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 03:11 PM

Case in Point - MTL wouldn't give up Sergachev for Kane. (as per Elliotte Friedman)

But does Anaheim have someone we'd want that they'll take an early first rounder for?

#97 We've

We've

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,776 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 05:39 PM

This is a weak draft, innit?  Weakest in some time.  I'm thinking if its that weak, are there any top pair d in this draft to sweat picking?

#98 Crusader1969

Crusader1969

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 09:39 PM

This is a weak draft, innit?  Weakest in some time.  I'm thinking if its that weak, are there any top pair d in this draft to sweat picking?

Short answer yes.

What was the last "weak" draft? Most say 2012

That draft had Ryan Murray, Morgan Reilly, Hampus Lindholm, Matthew Dumba and Jacob Trouba all go in the top 10.

#99 WildCard

WildCard

Gunner's Mate First Class: Philip A$$hole

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,242 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 09:43 PM

Short answer yes.

What was the last "weak" draft? Most say 2012

That draft had Ryan Murray, Morgan Reilly, Hampus Lindholm, Matthew Dumba and Jacob Trouba all go in the top 10.

I've heard this is the worst draft since the late 90s

#100 Crusader1969

Crusader1969

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 09:46 PM

I think it's lacking two things. Elite talent and depth. Doesn't mean there won't be a really good player in the top 10.

I will admit that the 3 players I really like outside of Patrick and Hischier are Liljegren, Makar and Tippett. All 3 are by no means a sure thing, each having questions about their game. All 3 are elite level skaters and game breakers but have questions surrounding their Defensive game and decision making.

Edited by Crusader1969, 13 March 2017 - 09:53 PM.

#101 Robviously

Robviously

What You Don't See

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,504 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 10:18 PM

Good thing we traded our extra 2015 picks and have extra ones for this year.  :doh:

I guess the bright side is that the draft is unpredictable and maybe we can still find a great player in a weak draft.

#102 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Playground King

• Members
  • 31,760 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 10:59 AM

Somebody catch me up: who are we drafting with our top 5 pick this year?

#103 yse325

yse325

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 11:02 AM

Good thing we traded our extra 2015 picks and have extra ones for this year.  :doh:

I guess the bright side is that the draft is unpredictable and maybe we can still find a great player in a weak draft.

they said the 2012 draft class was weak, but can you imagine if Forsberg had fallen one more slot to us instead of Grigorenko.  

#104 North Buffalo

North Buffalo

When hell freezes over, I’ll play hockey there too.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,424 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 11:10 AM

Somebody catch me up: who are we drafting with our top 5 pick this year?

read crusader up thread.
also if Sabres win lottery do they trade for say 3 or 4 take a D and a number 1 next year or a player??

#105 WildCard

WildCard

• Members
  • 20,242 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 11:11 AM

read crusader up thread.
also if Sabres win lottery do they trade for say 3 or 4 take a D and a number 1 next year or a player??

we would definitely trade out of the lottery

#106 Robviously

Robviously

What You Don't See

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,504 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 11:14 AM

they said the 2012 draft class was weak, but can you imagine if Forsberg had fallen one more slot to us instead of Grigorenko.  

There were a few of us on the board that were crazy about Forsberg that year and I remember being crushed when Washington took him right before us.  (And then again when they traded him to Nashville for basically nothing and we weren't in on that.)

The board also wanted Nichushkin over Risto in 2013 so sometimes we're way off with this stuff too.

#107 WildCard

WildCard

• Members
  • 20,242 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 11:15 AM

There were a few of us on the board that were crazy about Forsberg that year and I remember being crushed when Washington took him right before us.  (And then again when they traded him to Nashville for basically nothing and we weren't in on that.)

The board True also wanted Nichushkin over Risto in 2013 so sometimes we're way off with this stuff too.

TBF I thought RoR and Drouin sucked, and that Grigorenko would be the next Malkin

Edited by WildCard, 17 March 2017 - 11:16 AM.

#108 yse325

yse325

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 11:52 AM

So what forward will GMTM take this time?

#109 Thorny

Thorny

Supreme Mugwump

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,624 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 02:43 PM

Can't draft for need, but you can trade the pick for need. Trade our pick in a package to acquire a top 4 Dman right now, and if that can't get done, trade down to where a Dman is BPA if that's not the case where our pick initially sits.

#110 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 11:57 AM

HISCHIER!!

:flirt:

#111 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

Hot Daniel is Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,664 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 12:00 PM

HISCHIER!!

This is all I needed to see to be sold on Hischier.

(And I also wanted Nichushkin over Risto)

#112 TrueBlueGED

TrueBlueGED

#fancystats

• Members
  • 23,682 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 03:43 PM

HISCHIER!!

Yes please.

#113 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 04:11 PM

For once I'm not the only one advocating for the Sabres to draft a Moosehead.

Now that's awesome.

#114 Murray's Rats

Murray's Rats

Since Gilbert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 04:24 PM

Cal Foote from Kelowna looks like he's gonna be a good pro. Seen him a couple times and he's looked smooth.

Off topic.. The second period vs Vancouver was a slug fest. 4 fights including a ho hum effort from the Sabres Devante Stephens.

#115 Robviously

Robviously

What You Don't See

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,504 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 04:43 PM

Cal Foote from Kelowna looks like he's gonna be a good pro. Seen him a couple times and he's looked smooth.

Off topic.. The second period vs Vancouver was a slug fest. 4 fights including a ho hum effort from the Sabres Devante Stephens.

How's his skating?

FWIW, I think Hischier is also my pick if we magically win the lottery this year.

#116 Crusader1969

Crusader1969

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 08:04 PM

The only way the Sabres draft Foote is if they trade back onto the mid to late first round. He isn't a lottery pick (1-14) IMHO

#117 Murray's Rats

Murray's Rats

Since Gilbert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:09 PM

How's his skating?

FWIW, I think Hischier is also my pick if we magically win the lottery this year.

He didn't flash any real speed but he looked smooth in the games I saw him play, joining the rush, never really getting beat by faster skaters in the defensive end.

His brother Nolan looks like he might be a real stud. Just turned 16 in November. Scored a goal, had a fight and an assist in the game I just saw. Also, scored the last time I caught them play. Kids good!

The only way the Sabres draft Foote is if they trade back onto the mid to late first round. He isn't a lottery pick (1-14) IMHO

yeah, you would know better than I. I think he'll be a good pro but i'm not advacating a top ten pick on him just yet.

#118 Huckleberry

Huckleberry

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,016 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:12 PM

I thought Vegas was guaranteed a 4th slot, but is in the lottery for first 3.

#119 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:20 PM

Glad to see you are aboard the Hischier train.

Most have him rated at #2, so we better win the lottery.

Which is first ... the expansion, or the entry, draft?

#120 pi2000

pi2000

The Church of Mouls... er Matthews

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,324 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 02:44 PM

Glad to see you are aboard the Hischier train.

Most have him rated at #2, so we better win the lottery.

Which is first ... the expansion, or the entry, draft?

expansion draft is june 18-20 with selections announced june 21st.

entry draft is june 23-24.