8 replies to this topic

#1 biodork

biodork

I love lamp.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,666 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 01:43 PM

... and if so, are you happy with the outcome?  I've been wearing glasses and/or contacts since I was 10, and I'm seriously considering LASIK this year since my new disposable contacts are pretty pricey (and I'm just tired of not being able to see anything without them).  I've had a consultation and I'm a good candidate for the surgery, but I'm a little unsure after reading that a good number of people develop issues afterwards with dry eye and night vision (halos, etc).  I'd thought the night vision issues were only from the early days of LASIK, but my dad was telling me that it's still common; something to do with having two different areas of focus when your pupil dilates beyond the edges of the flap that they cut for the surgery?  Any input from those who've gone through it would be appreciated!

#2 Josie914

Josie914

Eh, I try

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 04:36 PM

Dear god yes. Every penny, every day, has been worth it. I had it done last October. My prescription was ALMOST bad enough to be the ablation, but I ended up full laser on both eyes. My contacts and eyecare were also pricey, and though Lasik is far from cheap (about 4k for me), it'll pay for itself financially in a few years and has paid for itself a billion times over in quality of life. 

I can give you every gory detail about the surgery if you want it.

Dry eye, well, yes, but they give you drops (it's a heckuva regimen for a week or so) and others to buy to help with this. Your sclera is healing, think of how skin scabs, it gets dry. Every time my eyes got dry outside of the prescribed drop times, I'd wet them and go about my business. This was only an issue for a couple months. 

Night vision. I will admit, I have noticed a difference. I have better than 20/20 vision now in normal light, but at night, I do have a bit more trouble seeing details. Stars are fainter. Reading signs in the dark requires closer proximity or more squinting. But I got to say, it's not enough to bother me. Maybe in a few years it could be worthy of reading glasses, but really, it's not a big deal.

The halos. For about 3 weeks after, my eyes were turning parking lot pole lights into psychedelic dandelions. Oncoming headlights were like starbursts. It wasn't great. I avoided driving at night/tricky areas when I could for a little while. However, it did go away. Took about 2 months for it to fully cease. 

My best advice is listen to instructions during the surgery, should you have it. The lasers are calibrated to stop the second your eye looks away (yes, you are conscious, and you can move your eyes). My left eye needed more work, and about halfway through I involuntarily kinda looked a different direction. The doctor calmly told me to refocus on the dot, nothing bizarre happened, the procedure continued. And I sat up on the table and for the first time since I was about 6, I could see. 

I do have a worst case scenario story- my sister had it done around 2002. They were still using microblades at this point- downright barbaric compared to the current technology. She freaked out and moved and popped the pressure cuff keeping her eye open off. This resulted in a miscutting. They simply let her heal up, and then she went back for a second surgery on that eye, and she was fine with good sight after. I don't think this could happen now. 

If you have more questions, fire away, I'll do what I can to answer. I was terrified. I literally changed majors in college because i couldn't stand eye surgery. But it worked out and I am so, so grateful now. 

#3 biodork

biodork

I love lamp.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,666 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 04:48 PM

Great info; thanks for the insight, Jo!  I already have a little bit of halo-ing and trouble reading signs (even with my contacts), so if that sort of thing is temporary, I think I could live with it.  I don't want to end up completely unable to drive at night on a permanent basis, though!  I'm already cursing whomever catalyzed the switch to blue headlights over yellow, haha.

#4 MattPie

MattPie

Hello, sailor!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,868 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 05:03 PM

A friend of mine, who's fairly OCD did a ton of research on LASIK vs. LASEK and ended going with LASEK. I forget what the pros and cons are (even though he drunkenly rambled about it for hours one night) but I know that I'd be looking at both before making a decision. http://www.webmd.com...ser-eye-surgeryHe's super happy with his laser-eyes (as he puts it, often while drunk). I suppose I shouldn't be so negative about the drinking, last I talked to him he went sober.

Also, ff I remember the story right, my sister-in-law had LASIK done several years ago and it didn't work the first time. Her vision was terrible for several months until they could try again, which turned out fine. Just something to be wary of regardless of the method.

#5 We've

We've

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,361 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 05:23 PM

Only know one person that had lasik.  He had problems with halo.  And I can speak from experience with halo for different reasons.... it sucks.  Night driving for me is really difficult with the high intensity lights in cars today.

#6 biodork

biodork

I love lamp.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,666 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 11:20 AM

Thanks, guys... and we've, I'm with you on those damned blue headlights in cars these days!  Great for the driver, sucks for everyone else.  And if I did have surgery this fall, there's no avoiding driving in the dark once winter rolls around and it's dark before I leave work.  Lots to think about...

#7 We've

We've

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,361 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 11:44 AM

Umm, thanks guys.... And We've?

*sulks in the corner*

#8 MattPie

MattPie

Hello, sailor!