Photo

Mobile Phone

Apple Cult Android BlackBerry

Best Answer shrader , 23 November 2015 - 09:44 AM

So, I finally have a phone that is smarter than me. 

So those fancy rotary phones have finally made their way up to Nova Scotia?

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 03:52 PM

A Samsung Galaxy Core LTE running, obviously, on Android.  To try it out and get used to the idea I have it on a PC Mobile pay as you go plan.

I'm sold.

I've ordered a new BlackBerry Priv that runs on Android.  I have always liked the BlackBerry security, especially since this phone is going to be primarily for business.  Never go used to the BlackBerry OS.  This phone is the best of both worlds.

To my question ...

What mobile do you guys and gals use?

iPhone (Apple Cult), Android (if so what phone), or BlackBerry?

#2 Jeanbe

Jeanbe

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 06:16 PM

samsung s5

#3 We've

We've

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,918 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 06:56 PM

I've got an older Galaxy S3.  Not in any hurry to replace it as I really enjoy the phone.

Before that I had a blackberry curve and really enjoyed it as well, but the switch to the Galaxy was huge.

#4 shrader

shrader

Enduring tortures most of which rhyme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,771 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 09:44 AM   Best Answer

#5 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 10:29 AM

😀

Yup. I'm using it now to post this.

#6 LastPommerFan

LastPommerFan

Sip it, you heathen.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,598 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 03:27 PM

I got an iPhone 5c 2 years ago, It's been fine, but I'm ready to get a new one, and I'm probably going to go with Android. I use a TON of google apps, and It seems they just integrate better with the android system. 

#7 biodork

biodork

I love lamp.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,770 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 03:50 PM

LG Nexus 5.  I've had it almost 2 years and still love it.  It's running Marshmallow and has great performance.  Apple does very well with iPods, but I dislike the lack of customization options for the phone and how quickly their stuff seems to go obsolete (mostly planned).  The Nexus especially is nice because you don't get all the extra bloatware apps that come with other brands (Samsung, etc).

Edited by biodork, 25 November 2015 - 03:50 PM.

#8 tom webster

tom webster

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,221 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 04:18 PM

I even got

#9 MattPie

MattPie

J-Bot, U-Bot, and We-Bot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,298 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 09:28 AM

Motorola Nexus 6. Similar to bio's comments above, I like the Nexus/Pixel phones because they're well-supported by Google and don't have extra apps from the manufacturer. Extra apps in theory can go either way, the manufacturer (Samsung, LG, Motorola, etc.) can add and/or replace apps with their own versions which mean they could be better or they could be worse. I find more of the apps fall into the latter category. I've had some really annoying experiences moving MrsPie to a new phone because the old phone used some wacky app for contacts and email and not the standard Android tools.

MrsPie needs a new phone, her Galaxy S5 is having mild but increasing hardware issues, and looking around I'm not finding much I'm excited about. The only phone Google sells right now is the Pixel (the Nexus 5X and 6P are discontinued) but I'm not prepared to spend $650 on a phone. Looking around, everything else to my eyes looks either inexpensive and not likely to work well in 2 years or costs more than $600. I should look at Blackberry, maybe they fit the bill.

#10 biodork

biodork

I love lamp.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,770 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 11:09 PM

Motorola Nexus 6. Similar to bio's comments above, I like the Nexus/Pixel phones because they're well-supported by Google and don't have extra apps from the manufacturer. Extra apps in theory can go either way, the manufacturer (Samsung, LG, Motorola, etc.) can add and/or replace apps with their own versions which mean they could be better or they could be worse. I find more of the apps fall into the latter category. I've had some really annoying experiences moving MrsPie to a new phone because the old phone used some wacky app for contacts and email and not the standard Android tools.

MrsPie needs a new phone, her Galaxy S5 is having mild but increasing hardware issues, and looking around I'm not finding much I'm excited about. The only phone Google sells right now is the Pixel (the Nexus 5X and 6P are discontinued) but I'm not prepared to spend $650 on a phone. Looking around, everything else to my eyes looks either inexpensive and not likely to work well in 2 years or costs more than $600. I should look at Blackberry, maybe they fit the bill.

Geez, didn't realize they'd already discontinued the 5X and 6P... only been out for what, 18 months or so?  But if you want to get a Pixel, you can finance it through Google Project Fi.  ;)

#11 Taro T

Taro T

It leads you here despite your destination under the MW tonight.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,275 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 11:02 AM

Real happy w/ the Priv. And it made the Verizon store salesman's day because he'd never sold a Crackberry before!

#12 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 11:18 AM

Real happy w/ the Priv. And it made the Verizon store salesman's day because he'd never sold a Crackberry before!

I really like my Priv.  Got it in November 2015 and never had an issue with it, but it did take some getting used to (my previous cell phone was almost 15 years old).

Always liked the security of BlackBerry.

#13 MattPie

MattPie

J-Bot, U-Bot, and We-Bot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,298 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 12:27 PM

Curses, I was getting kinda excited about the Blackberry DTEK 50/60 for MrsPie, but they don't do Verizon.

One a side note, I'm still incredulous that Google feels that a $650+ pair of phones (or buying an older, not supported for long model) is somehow a positive stance for Fi. MrsPie would be using the service right now if they still had a mid-price ($300-400) model.

Edited by MattPie, 09 July 2017 - 12:27 PM.