Photo

Acer tablet sync with Windows Live Mail

Techno New Order Microsoft uggh plain English

Best Answer spndnchz , 01 October 2015 - 10:29 AM

Hey guys and gals (maybe SDS mostly),

Will the mobile version work on an Android tablet, or is designed for phones only?

My android tablet works off the full web version but...

If you want to use the mobile version click on "change theme" at the bottom and switch to IP. Board Mobile

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,643 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 07:35 AM

I finally caved and purchased a tablet for work.  I have needed a way to be able to take my email, contacts and calendar with me anywhere ever since Microsoft pulled the plug on XP ... no jokes please, yes I'm old and pretty technology challenged.

It's an Acer Iconia One 7 (B1-730HD) running on Android 4.4 (whatever that means).

Questions:

1.)  I am having trouble connecting to my office wifi ... keep getting an *authentication error* message, but no details.

2.)  I need to know an easy and plain English way to sync my office email, contacts and calendar with the tablet.  I am running Windows 7 and using Windows Live Mail 2012 for my email.

HELP!!

Please.

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS, 13 September 2015 - 07:36 AM.

#2 Woods-Racer

Woods-Racer

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,569 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 07:54 AM

First off NS

XP :wub:

I am running android version 5.0.1. Is there a way to go into the tablet settings and look for system updates? If your tablet is capable you should be able to load the latest Android version. This may solve your problems.

#3 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,643 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 07:57 AM

First off NS

XP :wub:

I am running android version 5.0.1. Is there a way to go into the tablet settings and look for system updates? If your tablet is capable you should be able to load the latest Android version. This may solve your problems.

Oh, I loved XP.  Still think it's one of the best versions of Windows ever ... that an '95 were my favourites, but I do like Windows 7.

As for your second point ... did you not read the *plain* *English* tag?  

:P

It reads like plain English, but I have no idea what you are talking about.

#4 Woods-Racer

Woods-Racer

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,569 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 08:03 AM

On the tablet there should be a prompt called *settings* and a gear or sprocket looking symbol next to it. If it's a newer tablet it should be a touch screen? To find it you may have (as example)to place your finger on the right side of the screen and drag quickly left and a menu will appear. What's in the menu?

#5 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,643 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 08:13 AM

I can't get past the wifi login, as I get an error message and a warning, when I tried to bypass it for now, that the tablet will not be fully functional without the internet connection.

I do appreciate your input Mr. Racer.

#6 Woods-Racer

Woods-Racer

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,569 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 08:20 AM

Sorry!

Ok.

So you power up the tablet, you are immediately prompted to the wifi login.

The tablet will ask "would you like to connect to NS office wifi" and you say "yes please".

Do you get to a password or wep key prompt?

#7 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,643 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 08:25 AM

Yes, to all of that Woods.

I do get the password prompt and keyed it in ... correctly ... and I get the *authentication problem* message.

I bypassed it and got to a screen to register the product.  I keyed in all the info they wanted and hit *set up* ... then it tried to connect to the internet and it didn't.

I did get to the screen where I can see the *Settings* button and when I press it it wants to connect to the Internet ... until I get passed that it looks like I am stuck.

Thanks for your help.

#8 Woods-Racer

Woods-Racer

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,569 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 08:51 AM

You are getting the internet settings prompt and for obvious reasons it is not allowing you in.

you need to find the tablet settings, there has to be a dip switch or password prompt that needs enabled to let you log into wifi.

Some one with that tablet will be able to help.

For those with a higher pay grade than mine that can help, they will need to know the table make and model I suspect.

#9 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,643 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 04:06 AM

Woodsie,

Getting on the Internet is easy when you type in the right network password ... ooooffff!!

Now all my settings are working. but still need to know an easy way to sync with Windows Live Mail ... Windows help is no help.

Thanks for your help.

#10 MattPie

MattPie

Hello, sailor!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,867 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 01:08 PM

Woodsie,

Getting on the Internet is easy when you type in the right network password ... ooooffff!!

Now all my settings are working. but still need to know an easy way to sync with Windows Live Mail ... Windows help is no help.

Thanks for your help.

I have no idea about the Live-specific parts, but it's worth noting that the tablet will need to connect to the mail server directly. I don't think it has anything to do with your PC, so looking for answers there probably isn't going to work. The days of having your phone/tablet/pda sync with your PC are all but over (in my humble experience).

When you say "live mail", are we talking about the Windows Live Mail web mail (now outlook.com, I think)? If so, it looks like there's an outlook app you can download (http://windows.micro...s/outlook/to-go). From the looks of it, you can also pretty easily configure the built-in mail app to connect to outlook.com mail as well (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/outlook/send-receive-from-app, under "apps that support imap").

#11 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,643 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 01:57 PM

Matt,

I have heard of ways around what you are saying in para 1.

As for para 2 ... Windows Live Mail is part of the Windows Essentials package.  I only use the mail component.  The Windows Essentials has been sort of moth balled for Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 and shifted to this Outlook Cloud stuff, but is still supported for Windows 7.

The sync can be done, but I have only found very technical descriptions that I can't figure out yet.

#12 Doohickie

Doohickie

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,879 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 02:47 PM

Do you have a live.com account (as in NS@live.com)?  If so, you should be able to log into your live.com account on your new tablet and sync the contacts with the tablet's contacts, assuming your tablet has a Contacts app.  If not live.com, what domain do you use for your old computer?  You may be able to just log into the domain from your Contacts app and sync up.

#13 Woods-Racer

Woods-Racer

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,569 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 04:04 PM

Personal experience.

My last  smart phone was running an older version of the Android O/S.

The first thing that happened was I needed to refresh the e-mail app to see if I had e-mails as they where not posting automatically.

Then I could read only and not reply/ forward.

Finally, nothing.

You may need to see if the tablet's O/S can be upgraded to the 5.0.X droid and see if that helps.

My phone would not allow it, so I had to buy a new phone. Your tablet should be able to be upgraded to run the latest and greatest from Android.

#14 MattPie

MattPie

Hello, sailor!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,867 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 04:20 PM

Matt,

I have heard of ways around what you are saying in para 1.

As for para 2 ... Windows Live Mail is part of the Windows Essentials package.  I only use the mail component.  The Windows Essentials has been sort of moth balled for Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 and shifted to this Outlook Cloud stuff, but is still supported for Windows 7.

The sync can be done, but I have only found very technical descriptions that I can't figure out yet.

Ah,. seems like you're taking a tough row to hoe. Another angle you could use is export your contacts from Windows LIVE! (LIVE ######, LIVE!) into something Gmail can use. The default Android Mail and Contacts tools usually can access gmail's contact list. Once you pull them into gmail on your PC, they'll sync to the tablet (as long as you're using the same gmail account on both). The last one I can think of is the Contact app on my phone can load from storage, but it looks for "vCard Data". If you can figure out how to export you contacts in Live to vcard and transfer the files over, that may work.

EDIT: Those methods will only be a one-time sync though. So you'll either have to repeat or add new stuff on both. The Cloud is nonsense in a lot of cases, but stuff like this it's great for.

Edited by MattPie, 15 September 2015 - 04:21 PM.

#15 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,643 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 04:51 PM

Yikes ... 

I do have a @live.ca account and will try that.

If not I will just manually use the calendar app on the tablet and update it as I go to match my laptop and vise-versa.

Thanks for all your help everybody.

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS, 15 September 2015 - 04:51 PM.

#16 Woods-Racer

Woods-Racer

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,569 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 05:18 PM

Yikes ... 

I do have a @live.ca account and will try that.

If not I will just manually use the calendar app on the tablet and update it as I go to match my laptop and vise-versa.

Thanks for all your help everybody.

You are gracious NS.

I think I was as about as much help as a popcorn fart on a cold day.... just some hot air.

#17 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,643 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 06:07 PM

Do you have a live.com account (as in NS@live.com)?  If so, you should be able to log into your live.com account on your new tablet and sync the contacts with the tablet's contacts, assuming your tablet has a Contacts app.  If not live.com, what domain do you use for your old computer?  You may be able to just log into the domain from your Contacts app and sync up.

I tried this and I can sync the calendar from my @live.ca account.  The way WIndows Live Mail works is that I can have my office email as my primary email account, but I must have a Microsoft account (@live.ca) in order to set up a calendar in the Live Mail. 

When I set up the calendar app on the tablet with the @live.ca account (which I often use when we travel) it did sync right away.

Thanks for the suggestion.

#18 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,643 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 04:19 PM

Will the mobile version work on an Android tablet, or is designed for phones only?

#19 Doohickie

Doohickie

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,879 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 04:21 PM

Try it.  I bet it works.

#20 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,643 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 04:23 PM

Try it.  I bet it works.

I looked for it today in Google Play thingy and couldn't find it.

#21 Whiskey Bottle of Emotion

Whiskey Bottle of Emotion

Sip it, you heathen.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,590 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 07:07 PM

Scroll to the bottom of the forum and click the link that says "use mobile version"

#22 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,643 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 07:29 AM

Scroll to the bottom of the forum and click the link that says "use mobile version"

Thanks.

I logged onto the site on my tablet and then found the link you were referring to above, but when I clicked on it and the screen flashed it didn't change to the mobile version, as far as I can tell ... it looked just the same on the screen.

#23 spndnchz

spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,139 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 10:29 AM   Best Answer

If you want to use the mobile version click on "change theme" at the bottom and switch to IP. Board Mobile

#24 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,643 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 01:43 PM

Thanks.

I tried it and my tablet lets me use the full version as well, which I like much better.