Photo

What do you pay monthly for TWC internet?

I hate TWC

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

Eichel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,152 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 03:30 PM

I'm looking to get broadband, but I'm not going to be packaging it with cable or a phone line.

According to this: http://www.buytimewa...e.com/internet/15 Mbps is going to run me $35 a month for the first year.  I spoke to one of their sales reps and they couldn't quote me a figure (go figure) of what it jumps to after the year is up.  I think she was trying to say it either goes up 5 or 10 dollars per month.  

If anybody feels comfortable sharing their internet bill (assuming you're beyond the first year), it would be much appreciated. (PM if you wish)

#2 tom webster

tom webster

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,084 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 04:34 PM

My son just signed up and pays about $60 for the fastest coverage. I have had them for years and pay $86.95 total per month.

#3 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

Eichel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,152 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 04:49 PM

Is the $86.95 for the Ultimate (50 Mbps)?  I'm assuming that's what your son also has.

#4 Taro T

Taro T

It leads you here despite your destination under the MW tonight.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,515 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 05:06 PM

TWC's rate schedule for 2015:

Standard Internet: $57.99
Basic Internet: $47.99
Everyday Low Price Internet: $14.99

Turbo Upgrade: $10.00
Extreme Upgrade: $20.00
Ultimate Upgrade: $50.00
Home WIFI: $4.99

Internet Modem Lease: $8.00

All prices are /mo.

If they send someone out for something that isn't covered $39.99/trip.

You need standard to add turbo, extreme, or ultimate.

#5 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

Eichel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,152 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 05:15 PM

Much Appreciated, T.  Is there any sort of penalty for discontinuing service?

#6 Taro T

Taro T

It leads you here despite your destination under the MW tonight.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,515 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 05:31 PM

Much Appreciated, T.  Is there any sort of penalty for discontinuing service?

Don't believe so. There typically isn't. If you get some sort of deal, check the fine print to make sure there's no lock-in, but I've never seen one.

#7 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,162 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 06:23 PM

I'm looking to get broadband, but I'm not going to be packaging it with cable or a phone line.

According to this: http://www.buytimewa...e.com/internet/15 Mbps is going to run me $35 a month for the first year.  I spoke to one of their sales reps and they couldn't quote me a figure (go figure) of what it jumps to after the year is up.  I think she was trying to say it either goes up 5 or 10 dollars per month.  

If anybody feels comfortable sharing their internet bill (assuming you're beyond the first year), it would be much appreciated. (PM if you wish)

I pay $35/month for something close to 15MBps with TWC.  That was the introductory rate when I started.  After that period (or a little later when they adjusted their rate structure), they wanted to charge me something ludicrous, like $60/month or something dumb.  So I found their promotional rate online ($35/month), called them up, and simply demanded I keep paying that intro rate.  They'll try to upsell you into a higher data rate other services for similarly high money, but ignore that ###### and get your old rate back.

TWC's rate schedule for 2015:

Standard Internet: $57.99

Internet Modem Lease: $8.00

It was probably this that they bumped me to before I hassled/hustled my way back to $35.

#8 Drunkard

Drunkard

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,801 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 11:36 AM

I've had TWC for internet for many years and I currently pay $48.55 including taxes, fees, etc. for their standard internet and modem. I guess whatever promotion I'm currently getting after next month is up so I'll have to call up to complain again to see what I can negotiate it down to this time rather than paying $70 for Standard internet after you factor in the modem, taxes, fees, etc. I tend to have better luck with the directv customer service folks.

#9 Drunkard

Drunkard

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,801 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 12:10 PM

Edit:

I was logged into my TWC account to pull up my exact bill and I saw the chat with a representative feature. I clicked on it, selected billing, and typed in a question about how to lower my bill. The guy pulled up my account and gave the existing customer price of $57.99 for standard internet modem included. He then offered me a 12 month promotion of $47.99 for standard internet with modem included. I asked to clarify that the $8 modem lease fee is included as part of the $47.99 and he said yes so I agreed to the deal and he said he added the promotion to my account.

Took about 5-7 minutes max and that's counting the 1 minute survey I took to give them high remarks because there was no wait and I didn't have to threaten to cancel to get offered a deal. This should keep my bill exactly the same for the next year. Works for me. I probably could have pissed and moaned to get it lowered even further but $50 is pretty fair in my opinion for how much I used the internet (Netflix, hulu, pirate web streaming sites, wifi for my phone, general web surfing, etc). When I get my next bill I'll try to remember to repost in this thread to update the exact amount.

Edited by Drunkard, 18 August 2015 - 12:27 PM.

#10 ROC_EMT

ROC_EMT

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 12:20 PM

Whether it's necessary or not when I first contacted TWC a little over a year ago to complain about my high bill ($195/mo cable, internet, hardware no phone) I wasn't immediately successful.  I then had to talk to a "customer care" rep.  I got the impression this was a separate department from the "normal" customer service people and the individual I spoke to was able to get me into a package including turbo RR for about $119/mo for 12 mos.

This year I did the same thing and was able to get up to Extreme RR and whole house DVR for $124/mo for 12 mos.  We'll see what happens next year.

But both times I had to make sure I was talking to this "other" department.

#11 Drunkard

Drunkard

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,801 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 12:27 PM

Whether it's necessary or not when I first contacted TWC a little over a year ago to complain about my high bill ($195/mo cable, internet, hardware no phone) I wasn't immediately successful.  I then had to talk to a "customer care" rep.  I got the impression this was a separate department from the "normal" customer service people and the individual I spoke to was able to get me into a package including turbo RR for about $119/mo for 12 mos.

This year I did the same thing and was able to get up to Extreme RR and whole house DVR for $124/mo for 12 mos.  We'll see what happens next year.

But both times I had to make sure I was talking to this "other" department.

Yeah, you usually need to get the retention department. It works the same with Directv. The basic customers service can usually give you a small discount or freebies like giving you HBO or Showtime for 3 months or something along those lines but you usually have to get the retention department to do any better.

#12 TrueBlueGED

TrueBlueGED

#fancystats

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,560 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 04:07 PM

Whatever you do, buy your own modem if you plan on keeping cable Internet for any real length of time. It will be better and pay for itself in a year.

#13 Drunkard

Drunkard

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,801 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 06:55 PM

Whatever you do, buy your own modem if you plan on keeping cable Internet for any real length of time. It will be better and pay for itself in a year.

I've thought about doing this but from my understanding if you use your own modem and have any technical issues they no longer provide support. All they do is ping to your line outside the house and as long as it sends the packets back they say they can't do anything more because the equipment is working on their end.

#14 TrueBlueGED

TrueBlueGED

#fancystats

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,560 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 02:57 PM

I've thought about doing this but from my understanding if you use your own modem and have any technical issues they no longer provide support. All they do is ping to your line outside the house and as long as it sends the packets back they say they can't do anything more because the equipment is working on their end.

The only time in my life I've ever had their service team do anything meaningful it was to *drum roll please* send someone out to replace a dying modem. Had my own modem for ~5 years or a bit more and haven't called tech support once. Maybe I've just been lucky, but the inability to get help on their end would be the least of my concerns.

#15 MattPie

MattPie

Hello, sailor!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,868 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 03:26 PM

The only time in my life I've ever had their service team do anything meaningful it was to *drum roll please* send someone out to replace a dying modem. Had my own modem for ~5 years or a bit more and haven't called tech support once. Maybe I've just been lucky, but the inability to get help on their end would be the least of my concerns.

I never call customer service for that kind of stuff. The last time I did the conversation went something like this:

- Hi, I'm having trouble with names, it looks like your DNS isn't responding.

+ Have you tried rebooting your computer?

- Yes, a few times.

+ What browser are you using?

- It's not at the browser level, nslookup and ping can't resolve names.

+ Can you open your browser?

- Sure, I can.

At this point I either give up or play along depending on how much time I have. For awhile, I was using one of the DNS servers at UB for my home internet because Comcast's were broken and I couldn't convince anyone to look at them because I wasn't running Windows XP.

#16 shrader

shrader

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,418 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 07:41 AM

I tried to move to a lesser package this week which would save me $10 per month.  They told me that if I make that change, they would have to start charging $5 per month for the WiFi service.  If I were to make the change, I would still be using the same exact modem I currently have from them in my house.  How on earth can they justify charging that extra $5?  There can't possibly be anything they have to do on their end to keep that WiFi up in running.

There's another service in my neighborhood (Century Link) that two IT guys in the neighborhood were raving about two days ago.  I may have to look into that.  My internet bill really isn't too bad, but if I can get it lower, why the hell not.

#17 nobody

nobody

Title? Someday...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,458 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 06:44 PM

Which is the cheapest TWC plan that you can get if you want to use the internet to watch streaming shows/movies without having to see it buffer over and over?

#18 Radar

Radar

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 11:47 AM

I only use my internet for things like I am doing now. Websites for my hobbies and such. No streaming. I pay $31.46 /monthly including modem. I believe that's  lowest level. Expect that they will try to jump that up as I am now at about one year into that rate. When they do I will try to negotiate. We'll see. I switch carriers for cable/internet service to take advantage of promotions. I can almost predict that every two years I go between TWC and DirecTV for my cable. My tv and internet service averages less than $120/monthly over second year and about $83/monthly in first year. I know the companies realize their customers are doing this and I'm sure they crunch the numbers to see if it is paying them to keep things as they are even though customers jump back and forth.

Edited by Radar, 19 November 2015 - 11:53 AM.

#19 North Buffalo

North Buffalo

When hell freezes over, I’ll play hockey there too.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,053 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 08:54 PM

I pay 68.50 for 100mbs thru optimum cablevision and same thru comcast in mass for 150mbs
even 150 is slow, US Senate up to 400mbs, when i left there in 2005 they were at 100mbs