Photo

Username Origin

Best Answer IKnowPhysics , 09 August 2015 - 12:51 AM

The year was 1997 and among the high school varisty bowling team, pinball was hot.

Physics was a class taken by juniors, if you were taking Physics AP wayy ahead of schedule, or taken by seniors, if you were taking Regents Physics because you were wayy average.  The varsity football players that weren't good at basketball used bowling as an excuse for a winter sport, mostly to avoid wrestling.  A great many derps took physics as seniors.

After bowling practice, a fellow freshman friend of mine, with a heart full of wayward ambition, threw a few quarters into the blinking table that featured that conniving bitch of a silver ball.  He faced many challenges.  He successfully rocked most, and, due to our impending death-by-boredom waiting for out parents to pick us up from bowling practice, he had gathered a crowd of spectators.

He successfully played the table for a while longer than imaginable, but the table soon turned, and he began a streak of unconscionable defeats at the hand of the mildly lethargic right flipper.

Frustrated and testosterone-induced, a senior football player and regents physics taker became irreversibly fed up with the downward trend in the freshman's metal ball handling.  In one large shove, he displaced my friend from the table to commandeer the battle of balls.  He shouted, not as an excuse or admonishment, but as a proud declaration of righteous, indignant dominance over the blinking table "I.  KNOW.  PHYSICS."

The remainder of the table is not noteworthy.  What remained to my inspired and impressionable freshman consciousness, and really, my career-to-date, was that you could achieve anything you wanted, in any manner, with the proclamation of knowing physics.  Therefore, I wield my username (which is not new for this board) like a cognitive bulldozer, regardless of its applicability to the discussion at hand.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#41 Thwomp!

Thwomp!

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 07:45 PM

The user name comes from an inside joke between my wife and I.  The far east side of Columbus where I live isn't the nicest area generally and our street is very busy with emergency vehicles, sirens, and house-shaking bass most of the time.  We do have an in ground pool, however, so one day I named our pool the east side oasis and it stuck.  Someday, we'll have a sign made!

#42 shrader

shrader

Enduring tortures most of which rhyme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,540 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 11:03 AM

My username history is:  Doohickie, which is my go-to username for message forums.  For some reason I changed it to Neuvirths Glove during the dark days, and went with a Russian variant during the Soviet Era.  With Neuvirth's departure I decided to jump on the Lehner bandwagon early.  In a rather weak play on words, I adopted the handle Robins Egg, as a reference to hopefully many goose eggs Robin Lehner will put up.  I'm not sure I like the name and am thinking of changing it.  I just don't know what to change it to.  At this point I might as well leave it and see if Lehner puts up a lot of Robins eggs on Sabres opponents.

Even though it's clearly a chicken, for some reason I have associated your new user name with your hat.

#43 PromoTheRobot

PromoTheRobot

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,834 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 08:25 PM

When I joined the Rochester D&C Bills chat board in 1998 (This was the precursor of Two Bills Drive) I wanted a name that anyone my age who grew up in WNY would get. Promo The Robot was the sidekick of Dave Thomas, the host of the early morning children's cartoon show Rocketship 7. This show was a staple of kids growing up in the 60's waking up for school.

http://www.rocketship7.com/

Edited by PromoTheRobot, 22 September 2015 - 08:27 PM.

#44 Woods-Racer

Woods-Racer

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,737 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 08:48 PM

When I joined the Rochester D&C Bills chat board in 1998 (This was the precursor of Two Bills Drive) I wanted a name that anyone my age who grew up in WNY would get. Promo The Robot was the sidekick of Dave Thomas, the host of the early morning children's cartoon show Rocketship 7. This show was a staple of kids growing up in the 60's waking up for school.

That was cool!

One of the pictures has my uncle in it!

#45 WildCard

WildCard

Gunner's Mate First Class: Philip A$$hole

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,788 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 10:08 PM

That's a pretty awesome username origin 

#46 MattPie

MattPie

J-Bot, U-Bot, and We-Bot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,132 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 10:26 PM

That's a pretty awesome username origin 

Wait, you didn't know what it meant before? Damn kids, get off my lawn!

#47 WildCard

WildCard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,788 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 10:29 PM

Nope  :lol:

I only truthfully now the general age of about 10 people on here. Actually, come to think of it, that's a pretty large majority of the usual posters. 

#48 Doohickie

Doohickie

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,413 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 11:32 AM

Kids these days.  

I bet he doesn't even know the theme music.

The cymbal crash at 1:48 still gives me wood- a 3 second crescendo that started my day for years.

Rocketship 7 started a month before I was born, so I grew up with it.

Edited by Robins Egg, 23 September 2015 - 11:33 AM.

#49 MattPie

MattPie

J-Bot, U-Bot, and We-Bot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,132 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 11:35 AM

Kids these days.  

I bet he doesn't even know the theme music.

The cymbal crash at 1:48 still gives me wood- a 3 second crescendo that started my day for years.

Rocketship 7 started a month before I was born, so I grew up with it.

As a side note, David Boreanaz (of TV shows Bones and Angel) is Dave Thomas' son.

https://en.wikipedia.../David_Boreanaz

#50 Doohickie

Doohickie

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,413 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 08:29 PM

Yes, I knew that.

My dad was acquainted with Dave Thomas; they were inducted in the 3rd Degree (I think) of Knights of Columbus together. I have a picture that has both of them (and several others) from that day.

#51 Drunkard

Drunkard

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,989 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 06:57 PM

I've got a personalized Sabres jersey with Drunkard on the back and I've got kind of a bad reputation in Raleigh around the RBC center or whatever it's called now for living up to it ever since the ECF's in 2006. It's kind of fun to get boo'd by thousands of people at once, although it's a hell of a lot more fun when the Sabres are mopping the floor with the Canes.

#52 WildCard

WildCard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,788 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 11:18 PM

I've got a personalized Sabres jersey with Drunkard on the back and I've got kind of a bad reputation in Raleigh around the RBC center or whatever it's called now for living up to it ever since the ECF's in 2006. It's kind of fun to get boo'd by thousands of people at once, although it's a hell of a lot more fun when the Sabres are mopping the floor with the Canes.

Also a very solid story. What number is on the jersey?

#53 Drunkard

Drunkard

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,989 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 04:53 PM

Also a very solid story. What number is on the jersey?

69 of course. I've had it over 10 years now so I was in my early 20's when i ordered it.

#54 WildCard

WildCard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,788 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 05:28 PM

69 of course. I've had it over 10 years now so I was in my early 20's when i ordered it.

I was really hoping it was 69  :lol:

#55 Drunkard

Drunkard

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,989 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 10:26 AM

I was really hoping it was 69 :lol:

Yep, if you're gonna be a loud obnoxious jerk you might as well go full on douche with it and embrace it to the fullest extent.

#56 Doohickie

Doohickie

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,413 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 10:57 PM

Are you the Original Baby Eater™?

:worthy:

#57 shrader

shrader

Enduring tortures most of which rhyme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,540 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 08:33 AM

Are you the Original Baby Eater™?

:worthy:

I'll field this one.  I'm the one who added baby eating to the whole raping and pillaging line and it comes directly from Mike Tyson.

(and this is one case where I hope LGR does post the youtube clip)

#58 ubkev

ubkev

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 10:03 AM

I'll field this one. I'm the one who added baby eating to the whole raping and pillaging line and it comes directly from Mike Tyson.

(and this is one case where I hope LGR does post the youtube clip)

When Tyson told Lennox Lewis that he wanted his heart, "I wanna eat his children!" that was an epic post fight rant.

Oh hell, here ya go. I couldn't wait for LGR to do it.

Edited by ubkev, 29 September 2015 - 10:06 AM.