This show gets inside yer head

#82 bunomatic

bunomatic

bunomatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,930 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 09:33 PM

Ha ha. Just saw the big bearded dude from the wanted poster at the beginning of this episode elbow Jimmy out of the way in the bathroom. Love how the writers do this shite.

Edited by bunomatic, 16 March 2015 - 10:06 PM.

#83 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Jack Eichel Construction

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,018 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 10:43 AM

I have a bad feeling things aren't going to end well for Kim. She's so... good? Innocent? Cute? And she loves Jimmy. To death? Something rotten is going to happen to turn Jimmy into Saul, a moment,  maybe like Walt's cancer diagnosis, where he just says, why the ###### am I trying to be an honest (almost) lawyer? What's the point? Imma get me some.

#84 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,661 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 11:56 AM

I have a bad feeling things aren't going to end well for Kim. She's so... good? Innocent? Cute? And she loves Jimmy. To death? Something rotten is going to happen to turn Jimmy into Saul, a moment, maybe like Walt's cancer diagnosis, where he just says, why the ###### am I trying to be an honest (almost) lawyer? What's the point? Imma get me some.

Last night's dream crush could certainly be enough to put him over the edge. He sacrificed his dream with her so she could get back on her career path, a much more certain endeavor.

#85 sabills

sabills

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 11:57 AM

I was afraid we'd be caught up on the whole "blackmailed into being our lawyer" thing for the rest of the season; I'm so glad it didn't go that way. Also, loved the mike stuff as usual.

#86 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

Hot Daniel is Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,670 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 02:14 PM

I think that one was my favorite yet.  Wow.  Long BCS post incoming soon I swear.

#87 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Jack Eichel Construction

• Members
  • 25,018 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 10:54 AM

I'm a little fuzzy on a couple of things. Jimmy took that "hush" money from the Kettlemans, and we found out last night it was 30k. Didn't he spend a ton of it on suits, advertising at the nursing home, the billboard, etc.? Looked like he had the 30k stashed away above his office. He took the 30k out and replaced it when Mike brought over the remainder of the $1.5 million. How did he pay for all that stuff?

Also, where did Mike take the money? Jimmy told Mike something like, "You know where to take it." Jimmy then told the Kettlemans it was on its way to the DA. Surely that's not where Mike took it.

Edited by @fakegorbyportwinestain, 18 March 2015 - 10:55 AM.

#88 bunomatic

bunomatic

bunomatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,930 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 11:03 PM

I'm a little fuzzy on a couple of things. Jimmy took that "hush" money from the Kettlemans, and we found out last night it was 30k. Didn't he spend a ton of it on suits, advertising at the nursing home, the billboard, etc.? Looked like he had the 30k stashed away above his office. He took the 30k out and replaced it when Mike brought over the remainder of the $1.5 million. How did he pay for all that stuff?

Also, where did Mike take the money? Jimmy told Mike something like, "You know where to take it." Jimmy then told the Kettlemans it was on its way to the DA. Surely that's not where Mike took it.

Patience grasshopper

#89 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Jack Eichel Construction

• Members
  • 25,018 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 07:36 AM

Patience grasshopper

Now I am stroking my little goatee. Hmmm. Ohhhhhh. Ahhhhhhhh...

#90 bunomatic

bunomatic

bunomatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,930 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 10:39 PM

Hard to sum up the episode tonight for me as I was bouncing back and forth between the game but I hope Jimmys bro can hold it together long enough to help him out on the oldies classaction. Pullin for Jimmy to win one here. He deserves it.

#91 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

Hot Daniel is Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,670 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 10:41 PM

Interesting episode.  I really like the slowly paced episodes that come after (in this case 2) crazy ones.  I think Hamlin is gonna jam up Jimmy and Chuck.

#92 bunomatic

bunomatic

bunomatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,930 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 10:45 PM

Interesting episode.  I really like the slowly paced episodes that come after (in this case 2) crazy ones.  I think Hamlin is gonna jam up Jimmy and Chuck.

It would be nice to see the little guy screw the big guy but I get your point. Almost unlimited resources vs. Jimmy and Chuck in a lightless house. :doh:

#93 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

Hot Daniel is Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,670 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 11:07 PM

It would be nice to see the little guy screw the big guy but I get your point. Almost unlimited resources vs. Jimmy and Chuck in a lightless house. :doh:

It'd be such a twist of the knife for Hamlin to jam up Chuck with the technicality that he's still with their firm.  Chuck was not cashing out with HH&M's best interests at heart.

#94 bunomatic

bunomatic

bunomatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,930 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 10:36 PM

That scene with Mike and the other two hired goons in the parking garage was worth the price of admission for me. I had a feeling Mike would handle things with his usual flair.

#95 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

Hot Daniel is Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,670 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 11:31 PM

That was pretty crushing to see Jimmy's reaction to Chuck telling him what he really thinks.

It's starting to come into focus.  Why Jimmy McGill will become Saul Goodman.

#96 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Jack Eichel Construction

• Members
  • 25,018 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 08:24 AM

That was pretty crushing to see Jimmy's reaction to Chuck telling him what he really thinks.

It's starting to come into focus.  Why Jimmy McGill will become Saul Goodman.

Yep. I thought it would be one moment that turns him, but it's going to be more of a drip drip drip, I think. He'll get that money from Hamlin — ironically about the same amount he had gotten from the Kettlemans — and this time he'll be able to use it to start his pratice, minus Kim and any redeeming value, it looks like. The nexus with Tuco and Gus is clearly there. Mike's about to really go over to the dark side as well. It's kind of sad. I think we've come to really like or even love these characters, Jimmy and Mike.

#97 Murray's Rats

Murray's Rats

Since Gilbert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,720 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 08:44 AM

Chucks a prick for that one. I think Jimmy should make HHM pay more up front for screwing him outta his case. It sucks that the season finale is neXT week already, I'm gonna jones for Saul to come back!

#98 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Jack Eichel Construction

• Members
  • 25,018 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 09:28 AM

Did anyone else think the douchebag with the guns in the garage was the actor who played Marco Belchior in Goon? (It wasn't.) Speaking of the garage, is that where Walt places a bomb under Gus Fring's car?

#99 Taro T

Taro T

It leads you here despite your destination under the MW tonight.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,127 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 10:05 AM

Did anyone else think the douchebag with the guns in the garage was the actor who played Marco Belchior in Goon? (It wasn't.) Speaking of the garage, is that where Walt places a bomb under Gus Fring's car?

It sure did look like it. Hospital parking garage would make sense for a meeting point w/ people the criminal was meeting sight unseen.

#100 nfreeman

nfreeman

All I want is everything you got.

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,893 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 10:33 AM

That scene with Mike and the other two hired goons in the parking garage was worth the price of admission for me. I had a feeling Mike would handle things with his usual flair.

That was outstanding.

Yep. I thought it would be one moment that turns him, but it's going to be more of a drip drip drip, I think. He'll get that money from Hamlin — ironically about the same amount he had gotten from the Kettlemans — and this time he'll be able to use it to start his pratice, minus Kim and any redeeming value, it looks like. The nexus with Tuco and Gus is clearly there. Mike's about to really go over to the dark side as well. It's kind of sad. I think we've come to really like or even love these characters, Jimmy and Mike.

I think there will be plenty of time for the metamorphosis into Saul -- among other reasons, I think AMC is planning to have this show run for a while, so there is no rush.

As for Kim, I would expect that Jimmy would figure out why she tried to get him to take the deal and will apologize, and that she will forgive him.

Speaking of the garage, is that where Walt places a bomb under Gus Fring's car?

Very nice, and consistent with the way the show's creators do things.

#101 jsb

jsb

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 10:43 AM

Chucks a prick for that one. I think Jimmy should make HHM pay more up front for screwing him outta his case. It sucks that the season finale is neXT week already, I'm gonna jones for Saul to come back!

Good first season though, every show adds something to the character. Wow, slice your own brother's gonads, Chuck's a big one, I agree.

#102 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

Hot Daniel is Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,670 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 12:22 PM

Well, the show named after me has concluded its first season.  The finale was a bit of a pace changer.  This is the kind of episode that makes total sense in a binge-watch, but watching it as a finale left me a bit underwhelmed.

I love the ring, I loved some of the shots, but last week was the bang.  Seems like everyone follows the GoT method of the penultimate episode having the excitement and the finale being mainly denouement.

I feel a bit more comfortable getting into shot-by-shot nitpicking now.  Unfortunately, I still have no time to do so.

#103 Robviously

Robviously

What You Don't See

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,529 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 06:59 PM

Well, the show named after me has concluded its first season.  The finale was a bit of a pace changer.  This is the kind of episode that makes total sense in a binge-watch, but watching it as a finale left me a bit underwhelmed.

I love the ring, I loved some of the shots, but last week was the bang.  Seems like everyone follows the GoT method of the penultimate episode having the excitement and the finale being mainly denouement.

I feel a bit more comfortable getting into shot-by-shot nitpicking now.  Unfortunately, I still have no time to do so.

Right there with you.  This show completely won me over in its first few episodes and had some episodes that can go toe to toe with Breaking Bad's best: Mike's episode and last week's, especially.  

Last night's was just OK.  I didn't think all the stuff with Jimmy back in Chicago was all that compelling and I even thought his turn to the dark side in the parking lot was a little weak as well.  The long bingo freakout scene was more uncomfortable than it was interesting too.  

I guess last week's blowout led to Jimmy going back to Chicago for a week of re-living his past as a con man and that week-long binge, coupled with his friend's death, made him unable to even try to play it straight anymore.  I guess I was hoping for more in terms of what would finally, completely push him over the edge.

#104 bunomatic

bunomatic

bunomatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,930 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 07:59 PM

I agree with both qwksand and Robviously on this. Last nights wasn't the best but this series has me by the short curlys. 

#105 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Jack Eichel Construction

• Members
  • 25,018 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 09:34 PM

I thought it was fantastic. I appreciate the non-finale finale. I didn't need some big payoff. That's how I started off thinking about how Jimmy would become Saul — maybe Kim gets tangled up in Nacho's net and dies or something. The drip drip drip of Jimmy's life has been fascinating. It's much more true to life. What pushes some people over the edge is sometimes one final nudge.

Anyone else think of Jessie's escape in the series finale of Breaking Bad when Jimmy was driving off?

Great name!

#106 Robviously

Robviously

What You Don't See

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,529 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 10:00 PM

I thought it was fantastic. I appreciate the non-finale finale. I didn't need some big payoff. That's how I started off thinking about how Jimmy would become Saul — maybe Kim gets tangled up in Nacho's net and dies or something. The drip drip drip of Jimmy's life has been fascinating. It's much more true to life. What pushes some people over the edge is sometimes one final nudge.

Anyone else think of Jessie's escape in the series finale of Breaking Bad when Jimmy was driving off?

Great name!

The drip drip drip is awesome but the final nudge felt hollow.  

Through the course of the season we've seen Kim decide not to accept his offer to join him as a partner, Jimmy lose his money and his fancy new office, and Jimmy find out that his brother had turned his back on him without him every knowing it (and while Jimmy was taking care of him).  

But Jimmy decides to completely embrace "Slippin' Jimmy" at the exact moment he has a six-figure income and steady work in grasp?  It's not like he gave in to temptation after a string of indignities; it was more like he turned his back on success in favor of....nothing.

I'm nit-picking.  It was a so-so ending to an incredible first season and this is the best new show I've seen in years. 

#107 bunomatic

bunomatic

bunomatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,930 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 10:06 PM

Was he embracing slippin Jimmy or becoming Saul Goodman ?

#108 Robviously

Robviously

What You Don't See

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,529 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 10:10 PM

"S'all good, man!"

#109 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Jack Eichel Construction

• Members
  • 25,018 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 10:16 PM

Is he Saul yet? Maybe there are more nudges to come.

#110 Andrew Amerk

Andrew Amerk

Heart Means Everything.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 11:26 PM

Good first season.

#111 Taro T

Taro T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,127 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 05:32 AM

Is he Saul yet? Maybe there are more nudges to come.

Have to believe there are more taps pushing him towards Saul. And I'd expect the 1st few episodes of season 2 have him in conflict between Elder-law James and Slippin' Jimmy and he finally settles on Saul when he realizes he's both. I'd expect the final push will be Chuck giving him 1 final FU.

#112 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Jack Eichel Construction

• Members
  • 25,018 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 06:04 AM

But Jimmy decides to completely embrace "Slippin' Jimmy" at the exact moment he has a six-figure income and steady work in grasp?  It's not like he gave in to temptation after a string of indignities; it was more like he turned his back on success in favor of....nothing.

Or in favor of getting back at Kim. "I know why I did it," he told Mike about why he had the million bucks and more sent to the DA. "And I won't do it again." It was so Kim could get the Kettleman's back as a client and get out of Howard's doghouse. Yeah, no one said Jimmy is all that smart, or deep.

#113 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

Hot Daniel is Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,670 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 08:03 AM

I gave the finale a second watch.  I like it a lot more now,

Chuck and Jimmy missing one another like ships passing in the night was sad.  Especially after Jimmy professes some sort of loyalty to him (or did he just not want to bring up Kim to Marco?).  I wonder if they'll ever meet on decent terms again.

gLrQRqp.png

This (episode opening) shot reminds me of Jimmy talking to Mike about the money at the end.  "Why didn't we just take it?  What was I thinking?"  When Jimmy was tryna do the "right thing," he was the stupid kid slowly trying to finesse the bill from under the quarters. Speaking of which:

thbKuB3.pngRocking the fake Rolex and Marco's pinky ring.  Two mainstays in Saul Goodman's wardrobe.

An important takeaway from this is scene is that Jimmy is forgetting (mayhaps willfully) that Kim was the reason that he did "the right thing" with the money.  I think another aspect of Jimmy's turn at the end is that it really broke his heart that she didn't want to partner with him (legally and otherwise).  That, and the Chicago montage really hit home that scamming is Jimmy's Drug.  Just like making drugs is Walter's drug.

Before Jimmy's turn:

YlZ0cgz.png

Nice lighting.

Ong9nQy.pngAll the space is behind him.  Jimmy's looking east, to the American past instead of the frontier.  Becoming a "good lawyer" like Chuck isn't important to him anymore, he's letting it go.

Right there with you.  This show completely won me over in its first few episodes and had some episodes that can go toe to toe with Breaking Bad's best: Mike's episode and last week's, especially.  

Last night's was just OK.  I didn't think all the stuff with Jimmy back in Chicago was all that compelling and I even thought his turn to the dark side in the parking lot was a little weak as well.  The long bingo freakout scene was more uncomfortable than it was interesting too.  

I guess last week's blowout led to Jimmy going back to Chicago for a week of re-living his past as a con man and that week-long binge, coupled with his friend's death, made him unable to even try to play it straight anymore.  I guess I was hoping for more in terms of what would finally, completely push him over the edge.

It didn't have the full impact this time.  When Walt got a chance to solve his family's problems forever in Gray Matter (S1Ep5), he rejected it because of his pride.

This time around it perhaps felt a bit disingenuous.  Jimmy's already getting decent money from HHM, and this new position gets offered to him in the last 10 minutes of the episode.  I don't think this conundrum had enough time to breathe.

I do like the karmic feel it has, though.  Jimmy did the hard work to be a good lawyer, and even though Chuck tried to keep him down, he still got offered a good gig.  It's a lot more Saul (rather than Walt) that he'd turn it down because he'd rather be a scumbag, That's what he loves, and he's 1000X more self aware than Walter.

Great name!

To the bolded, no I did not.  I thought of Mathew McConaughey in Wolf of Wall Street.

And thanks, but they spelt it wrong.

Edited by qwksndmonster, 08 April 2015 - 08:01 AM.

#114 Taro T

Taro T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,127 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 08:50 AM

Or in favor of getting back at Kim. "I know why I did it," he told Mike about why he had the million bucks and more sent to the DA. "And I won't do it again." It was so Kim could get the Kettleman's back as a client and get out of Howard's doghouse. Yeah, no one said Jimmy is all that smart, or deep.

Interesting take.  (Probably right, too.)

Or was it that he'd been trying to stay on the staight and narrow to follow in his hero's footsteps and eventually be treated as an equal so desperately that finding out his brother would always look down on him finally broke him bad?  The flaw in that is that it'd mean he is now Saul and I'd expect the transformation to take a season. 

#115 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Jack Eichel Construction

• Members
  • 25,018 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 09:17 AM

An important takeaway from this is scene is that Jimmy is forgetting (mayhaps willfully) that Kim was the reason that he did "the right thing" with the money.  I think another aspect of Jimmy's turn at the end is that it really broke his heart that she didn't want to partner with him (legally and otherwise).  That, and the Chicago montage really hit home that scamming is Jimmy's Drug.  Just like making drugs is Walter's drug.

Good stuff. You should have a Better Call Saul blog. You're wasting your brilliance on us. :)

I don't think he forgot why he did the right thing. I thought the final scenes were all about Jimmy finally letting go of Kim. He wasn't going to take her advice anymore and join that firm, when she had turned him down, and he wasn't going to try and be the good guy anymore to try and impress her. He's not going to be whipped anymore.

Edited by @fakegorbyportwinestain, 08 April 2015 - 09:18 AM.

#116 Robviously

Robviously

What You Don't See

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,529 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 10:12 AM

Ong9nQy.pngAll the space is behind him.  Jimmy's looking east, to the American past instead of the frontier.  Becoming a "good lawyer" like Chuck isn't important to him anymore, he's letting it go.

This shot really stood out to me during the show but I couldn't put my finger on why.  And I actually read a different take on it yesterday talking about him looking East *to his past as a scammer* versus West (to his future as a legitimate, well-paid lawyer).  It's a shot of him looking the wrong way.

Good stuff. You should have a Better Call Saul blog. You're wasting your brilliance on us. :)

I don't think he forgot why he did the right thing. I thought the final scenes were all about Jimmy finally letting go of Kim. He wasn't going to take her advice anymore and join that firm, when she had turned him down, and he wasn't going to try and be the good guy anymore to try and impress her. He's not going to be whipped anymore.

If you don't want to be whipped, take the job with the six-figure income and the incredible career potential.  Succeed there and you won't need help from Kim or Chuck or anyone else.

Again, it would have made more sense for him to break free by deciding to do something for a quick score.  He didn't gain anything but walking away, and he left a lot on the table by doing it.  It's just weird.

#117 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

Hot Daniel is Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,670 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 12:53 PM

This shot really stood out to me during the show but I couldn't put my finger on why.  And I actually read a different take on it yesterday talking about him looking East *to his past as a scammer* versus West (to his future as a legitimate, well-paid lawyer).  It's a shot of him looking the wrong way.

If you don't want to be whipped, take the job with the six-figure income and the incredible career potential.  Succeed there and you won't need help from Kim or Chuck or anyone else.

Again, it would have made more sense for him to break free by deciding to do something for a quick score.  He didn't gain anything but walking away, and he left a lot on the table by doing it.  It's just weird.

To the bolded, interesting stuff.  I hadn't considered it like that.

#118 chuck schick

chuck schick

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 04:57 PM

I think this episode made Jimmy wake up to a couple of realities. One is that he thrives and enjoys the hustle/scamming that he's been made to feel ashamed of (by people whose opinions suddenly don't mean so much any more). This brings him to the realization that the life and career he is about to step into doesn't give him the satisfaction he thought it would. And finally, the role that money plays in Jimmy's life is not as cut-and-dried as he/we originally thought. He's obviously a very generous person, and quite unselfish. But he loves to outwit people and get rewarded financially for it. He was FAR more excited to get the $110 from the guy at the bar than he was receiving the $20K from HHM. Earning a six figure income and drawing up wills for the next 20 years probably didn't sound too great.

#119 SwampD

SwampD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,604 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 08:46 PM

He's the opposite of WW. He's a good guy at heart that does bad things because of his environment. Walter was a bad guy at heart that was only good because of his surroundings. Once he had an excuse, his true self came out.

#120 Hoss

Hoss

Someday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,017 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 05:46 PM

If you've seen Avengers: Age of Ulton you'll hear a familiar voice: F.R.I.D.A.Y (Tony Stark's female AI) is voiced by Mike's daughter-in-law Stacey from the show.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: off topic