72 replies to this topic

#1 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,048 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:40 PM

this in tire post is me speaking into my new samsung galaxy far as I'm just curious to see if this to work out and I wanted to posted oh really verses tylenol and so it goes

That wasn't bad.  Anyone else switch from a iPhone to a galaxy. Took some getting used to but 28 hours into my new device and me likey.

#2 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,048 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:58 PM

I don't know if this device auto scrolls to the top of a thread like I phones do when you Touch the top.

#3 Tank

Tank

McDone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,273 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:47 AM

" "

That was me talking into the speaker of my iphone 5. That happens because this garbage was broken out of the box. Brand new and the back microphone doesn't work. The back microphone is what Siri and the normal camera uses... Thanks ObamaPhone.

#4 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,958 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:21 AM

Technology sure is Amazons.

#5 Tricky

Tricky

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:36 AM

It scrolls up and down based on your eyes and phone tilt. I love the features from my S4

#6 BuffaloSoldier2010

BuffaloSoldier2010

your father's brother's cousin's former roommate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:25 PM

i switched from an iphone 4s to a galaxy S5 4 hours ago.  Pretty pleased so far.

#7 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,048 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 07:01 PM

View PostTricky, on 24 August 2014 - 09:36 AM, said:

It scrolls up and down based on your eyes and phone tilt. I love the features from my S4
I have no idea what this means

#8 wyldnwoody44

wyldnwoody44

dont pee into the wind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,101 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 07:24 PM

I'm still on the galaxy S3 I hate hate hate iPhone... My power button on the side finally took a poop, but I downloaded button savior and all is well now..... I hate changing phones

#9 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,928 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 07:28 PM

View PostTankalicious, on 24 August 2014 - 08:47 AM, said:

Thanks ObamaPhone.

I have no idea what this means.

#10 Tank

Tank

McDone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,273 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 07:28 PM

View Postinkman, on 24 August 2014 - 07:01 PM, said:

I have no idea what this means

When you bought the phone they planted a chip in your brain. It tracks your eye movements, your hormones, your thoughts and even your red blood cell count.
Sugars getting low? Your phone will bring up a list of foods that will even you out.
Getting sleepy? It'll set an alarm for you and let you know to sleep until then.
Running low on luck with your lady? Hot new singles in your area.

#11 Heimdall

Heimdall

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,848 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 07:39 PM

Samsung Galaxay is nice, but most of the phones have an issue, just hope you notice it before warrantee expires.
They sometimes shut down because of an error with battery, wich mine has but only started after i had it more than a year.

Rocking the Galaxay S-plus.   But when it comes to smartphones, i think Samsung still is the best you can get.

#12 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,928 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 07:55 PM

I returned an S4 after a week and got the HTC One instead. Glad I did.

#13 Tank

Tank

McDone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,273 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:03 PM

View PostJJFIVEOH, on 24 August 2014 - 07:28 PM, said:

I have no idea what this means.

"Thanks Obama" is a common internet joke where people blame common small issues on Obama, since everybody seems to think he's Satan. ObamaPhone is a misconception about free cell phones given to people who don't have money. It was actually a George Bush thing, but, again, people like to blame Obama for things they don't like.

I combined the two.

#14 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,928 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:22 PM

View PostTankalicious, on 24 August 2014 - 08:03 PM, said:

"Thanks Obama" is a common internet joke where people blame common small issues on Obama, since everybody seems to think he's Satan. ObamaPhone is a misconception about free cell phones given to people who don't have money. It was actually a George Bush thing, but, again, people like to blame Obama for things they don't like.

I combined the two.

I know what Obamaphone means, I know it was a Bush policy. Just didn't see your connection, stop trying so hard. :rolleyes:

#15 Tank

Tank

McDone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,273 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:59 PM

View PostJJFIVEOH, on 24 August 2014 - 08:22 PM, said:

I know what Obamaphone means, I know it was a Bush policy. Just didn't see your connection, stop trying so hard. :rolleyes:

Not sure what you're bitter about, but I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings.

#16 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,928 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:01 PM

View PostTankalicious, on 24 August 2014 - 08:59 PM, said:

Not sure what you're bitter about, but I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings.

I'm not bitter about anything. You can't hurt my feelings. Just saying, in your effort to try and be funny, you made little to no sense.

#17 Tank

Tank

McDone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,273 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:09 PM

View PostJJFIVEOH, on 24 August 2014 - 09:01 PM, said:

I'm not bitter about anything. You can't hurt my feelings. Just saying, in your effort to try and be funny, you made little to no sense.

I wasn't aiming to "make sense" of anything. It was a joke. Get over it and/or yourself.

#18 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,928 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:07 PM

View PostTankalicious, on 24 August 2014 - 09:09 PM, said:

I wasn't aiming to "make sense" of anything. It was a joke. Get over it and/or yourself.

I asked you a simple question. It's really not that tough. If you get this defensive over a simple question, I hate to see how you react to real problems.

If you say so.

Edited by JJFIVEOH, 24 August 2014 - 10:09 PM.

#19 JujuFish

JujuFish

Qwerty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,769 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:28 PM

View PostJJFIVEOH, on 24 August 2014 - 10:07 PM, said:

I asked you a simple question. It's really not that tough. If you get this defensive over a simple question, I hate to see how you react to real problems.

If you say so.

Pretty sure you were the one to get defensive with "stop trying so hard".

#20 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,838 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:46 PM

I've had an S4 for a while now.  I like it.  It does everything I need pretty well, battery life is alright, and the HD screen is nice.  It's got a lot of fancy ###### that I will sometimes ###### around with (like eye scrolling and S Beam), but none of that's necessary for me.

#21 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,272 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 12:22 AM

View PostJJFIVEOH, on 24 August 2014 - 07:55 PM, said:

I returned an S4 after a week and got the HTC One instead. Glad I did.

I just got the One m8 last month (came from a GS3) and couldn't be happier. Feels and looks like a premium product, less crappy software I don't want, and much better call quality...yes, I still regularly use my phone as a phone :lol:

#22 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,928 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:05 AM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 25 August 2014 - 12:22 AM, said:

I just got the One m8 last month (came from a GS3) and couldn't be happier. Feels and looks like a premium product, less crappy software I don't want, and much better call quality...yes, I still regularly use my phone as a phone :lol:

Yeah, I am really impressed with the build quality. The aluminum case just makes it feel so much more sturdy. The front facing speakers make so much more sense. Not like I'm going to make it my primary audio source, but it is nice when watching videos. I still have the M7, not due for an upgrade for a few months. But, Sprint and HTC still gives us every update. Kit Kat 4.4.2 and HTC Sense 6.0. What's the biggest difference between the M7 and M8?

#23 Naulter8

Naulter8

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:22 AM

Glad to hear it man.  ###### apple!! I would recommend at least testing out SwiftKey keyboard,  it's all around a better keyboard

#24 Tank

Tank

McDone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,273 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:54 AM

View PostJujuFish, on 24 August 2014 - 10:28 PM, said:

Pretty sure you were the one to get defensive with "stop trying so hard".

Shhhh. You're ruining the good part of the narrative.

#25 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,842 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 07:44 AM

View PostNaulter8, on 25 August 2014 - 01:22 AM, said:

Glad to hear it man.  ###### apple!! I would recommend at least testing out SwiftKey keyboard,  it's all around a better keyboard

Seconding Swiftkey. It took my S3 to a whole new level of usability.

#26 dEnnis the Menace

dEnnis the Menace

D63

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,415 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:20 AM

I like my iPhone 5c or 5s or whatever version of 5 it is :(

#27 Tank

Tank

McDone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,273 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:18 AM

View PostdEnnis the Menace, on 25 August 2014 - 08:20 AM, said:

I like my iPhone 5c or 5s or whatever version of 5 it is :(

Me too. (I have a five). Simple. Efficient. No issues whatsoever.
But I still have considered hopping to Samsung next year.

#28 dEnnis the Menace

dEnnis the Menace

D63

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,415 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:54 AM

View PostTankalicious, on 25 August 2014 - 09:18 AM, said:

Me too. (I have a five). Simple. Efficient. No issues whatsoever.
But I still have considered hopping to Samsung next year.

I'm the kind of person where, if it isn't broken, and there are no problems with it, I'm not changing.  It's not that I don't like change, but when it comes to electronics, I don't have the patience to re-teach myself something all the time.  I'm too busy immersing myself in one of 3 things: my relationship, my sports, or my engineering skills (I take classes and have signed up for a lot of professional societies so that I can be up to date on everything I do).  I just don't have the time to learn a new phone, when I can just keep getting my iPhone updated :angel:

#29 Tank

Tank

McDone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,273 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:02 AM

View PostdEnnis the Menace, on 25 August 2014 - 09:54 AM, said:

I'm the kind of person where, if it isn't broken, and there are no problems with it, I'm not changing.  It's not that I don't like change, but when it comes to electronics, I don't have the patience to re-teach myself something all the time.  I'm too busy immersing myself in one of 3 things: my relationship, my sports, or my engineering skills (I take classes and have signed up for a lot of professional societies so that I can be up to date on everything I do).  I just don't have the time to learn a new phone, when I can just keep getting my iPhone updated :angel:

Respectable. Good luck with the engineering!

#30 dEnnis the Menace

dEnnis the Menace

D63

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,415 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:44 AM

View PostTankalicious, on 25 August 2014 - 10:02 AM, said:

Respectable. Good luck with the engineering!

it's fun for me...so long as where I'm working allows to be.

#31 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,272 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 11:15 AM

View PostJJFIVEOH, on 25 August 2014 - 01:05 AM, said:

Yeah, I am really impressed with the build quality. The aluminum case just makes it feel so much more sturdy. The front facing speakers make so much more sense. Not like I'm going to make it my primary audio source, but it is nice when watching videos. I still have the M7, not due for an upgrade for a few months. But, Sprint and HTC still gives us every update. Kit Kat 4.4.2 and HTC Sense 6.0. What's the biggest difference between the M7 and M8?

Honestly the biggest differences are the internal hardware. Significantly faster chip and much improved battery life. Screen is a little bigger and the LCD a little better color quality, but nothing huge. The chip doesn't even really matter right now, but I think it will once Android L is released. Oh, and the body is 90% aluminum rather than 70%, but I doubt it's actually noticeable.

#32 Sabre Dance

Sabre Dance

Brighter days ahead...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 11:21 AM

It has been on the phone for a while, but Samsung phones have a translator app built in.  You can either type or speak your phrase (or pick pre-loaded ones) and the app will translate to text or will speak the translation.  I'm sure there are other apps like this available on both iOS and Android, but for a freebie, it works pretty well.
Choosing between iPhone and Android has always been mostly a personal preference, but Samsung has come up with some pretty good features lately.  (I have the Galaxy Note 3, which has a stylus you can write, draw or point with. I don't use it a lot, but it's nice to have it when you need it.  Ever try signing your name on an iPhone with your finger?).

#33 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,048 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 12:28 PM

Big issue found over the weekend.  People with iPhones trying to text me.  Apparently you need to jump through 15 hoops in order to continue receiving texts from iphones.  The simple fix is having the sender turn off imessage.  Asking everyone if my contacts to do this is unreasonable.  So I had to go into my old phone, put my old sim card in and turn off imessage on that phone.  Then I had to go to Microsoft and delete my device from my profile.  This has solved 80% of the problem.  Still working on the other 20%.

#34 Tank

Tank

McDone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,273 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:32 PM

View Postinkman, on 25 August 2014 - 12:28 PM, said:

Big issue found over the weekend.  People with iPhones trying to text me.  Apparently you need to jump through 15 hoops in order to continue receiving texts from iphones.  The simple fix is having the sender turn off imessage.  Asking everyone if my contacts to do this is unreasonable.  So I had to go into my old phone, put my old sim card in and turn off imessage on that phone.  Then I had to go to Microsoft and delete my device from my profile.  This has solved 80% of the problem.  Still working on the other 20%.

Yea, when you change from iphone to something else you have to deactivate your own iMessage before doing so or nobody can send you texts.

#35 dEnnis the Menace

dEnnis the Menace

D63

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,415 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 03:06 PM

View PostTankalicious, on 25 August 2014 - 01:32 PM, said:

Yea, when you change from iphone to something else you have to deactivate your own iMessage before doing so or nobody can send you texts.

no you don't.  People with iPhones just need to re-send a couple of message as texts, and then the phone will recognize it within I think 30 days.  

my cousin switches back and forth like crazy, and I can always tell when he switches from an iphone to something else. It takes a couple weeks to recognize, but it eventually will.  If the sender doesn't delete the conversation, and sends you more than a text every once in a blue moon, it'll recognize quicker.

#36 Tank

Tank

McDone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,273 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 04:11 PM

View PostdEnnis the Menace, on 25 August 2014 - 03:06 PM, said:

no you don't.  People with iPhones just need to re-send a couple of message as texts, and then the phone will recognize it within I think 30 days.  

my cousin switches back and forth like crazy, and I can always tell when he switches from an iphone to something else. It takes a couple weeks to recognize, but it eventually will.  If the sender doesn't delete the conversation, and sends you more than a text every once in a blue moon, it'll recognize quicker.

If you want it immediately you do it the way I said. If you want "within 30 days," then this works.

#37 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,928 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 04:34 PM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 25 August 2014 - 11:15 AM, said:

Honestly the biggest differences are the internal hardware. Significantly faster chip and much improved battery life. Screen is a little bigger and the LCD a little better color quality, but nothing huge. The chip doesn't even really matter right now, but I think it will once Android L is released. Oh, and the body is 90% aluminum rather than 70%, but I doubt it's actually noticeable.

The Max version is tempting. Supposedly they're looking at a October/November release. Nothing concrete though.

#38 Hank

Hank

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 05:50 PM

I'm thinking of switching from iPhone to Samsung. My concern is, I have over a thousand dollars between iTunes, apps, kindle and such. Do I have access to it all if I switch from the iPhone to something else?

#39 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,048 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:02 PM

View PostTankalicious, on 25 August 2014 - 04:11 PM, said:

If you want it immediately you do it the way I said. If you want "within 30 days," then this works.
Your method is still not fool proof as iphone users are having to send me emails telling name their messages aren't going through.  Maybe it just takes time but this is getting more frustrating.  I need to be in contact with work 24/7.

#40 Tank

Tank

McDone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,273 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:12 PM

View Postinkman, on 25 August 2014 - 06:02 PM, said:

Your method is still not fool proof as iphone users are having to send me emails telling name their messages aren't going through.  Maybe it just takes time but this is getting more frustrating.  I need to be in contact with work 24/7.

https://supportprofi...pportProfile.do

Go to edit products and delete your device.

Edited by Tankalicious, 25 August 2014 - 06:14 PM.