Jump to content


Which Team was Closer to Winning the Stanley Cup?

Jury Deliberations The Peoples Court Taro v Glass

  • Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

Poll: Closer to Winning the Stanley Cup

Who Was Closer?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

    Woah-Oh! We're half way there...

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rochester/Finger Lakes

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:40 PM

See here for background.

Simple question, which team was closer to winning the cup:

1975 Sabres who lost the Stanley Cup Finals in 6 games

or

2006 Sabres who lost the Eastern Conference Finals in 7 games

Edited by Glass Case Of Emotion, 07 August 2014 - 10:46 PM.


#2 Heimdall

Heimdall

    Third Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,862 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Brussels, Belgium

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:07 PM

simple, the 1999 sabres.

#3 biodork

biodork

    I love lamp.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,638 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:central PA

Posted 08 August 2014 - 12:43 AM

View PostHeimdall, on 07 August 2014 - 11:07 PM, said:

simple, the 1999 sabres.

Ding ding ding, lol.

I'll abstain from voting since I wasn't following the Sabres until '98-99 and know very little about the '75 team.

#4 Neo

Neo

    Top Prospect

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tampa, FL

Posted 08 August 2014 - 06:57 AM

The 2006 teams wins it all without a run of injuries that can be called extraordinary.   In 1975, the better team won.   I was at the 1975 final game.  I lost my 8th grade "Perfect Attendance" certificate because I lined up all night for SRO seats.

#5 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

    I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,780 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Posted 08 August 2014 - 09:13 AM

Since a team can only win the cup if they are playing in the finals, I voted for the 1975 Sabres.

That was our most talented team ever and our best ever, IMO.

We ran up against a very intimidating team, had to win at least one game in the Spectrum and an all-world goalie.

Kate Smith and BP were the biggest differences in that series.

#6 Santa Claus

Santa Claus

    All Star

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,867 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Buffalo

Posted 08 August 2014 - 09:16 AM

Hands down 2006.  Without the freak injuries, that team cruises through Carolina and Edmonton.

They simply were outmatched in 1975.

Even in 1999, the better team was awarded the Cup (but never won it, dammit!).

Edited by Eleven, 08 August 2014 - 09:17 AM.


#7 SwampD

SwampD

    All Star

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,772 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Jersey, orig. NT

Posted 08 August 2014 - 09:21 AM

Let's see. Which team was

Attached File  biggest-loser-logo.jpg   605.88K   1 downloads

:wallbash:






I'm really sour today.

#8 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

    Woah-Oh! We're half way there...

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rochester/Finger Lakes

Posted 08 August 2014 - 09:25 AM

View PostEleven, on 08 August 2014 - 09:16 AM, said:

Hands down 2006.  Without the freak injuries, that team cruises through Carolina and Edmonton.

They simply were outmatched in 1975.

Even in 1999, the better team was awarded the Cup (but never won it, dammit!).

But the injuries happened, didn't they?

#9 Santa Claus

Santa Claus

    All Star

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,867 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Buffalo

Posted 08 August 2014 - 09:30 AM

View PostGlass Case Of Emotion, on 08 August 2014 - 09:25 AM, said:

But the injuries happened, didn't they?

Yes, and before they happened, the team was closer to winning the Cup than the 1975 team was.

#10 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

    Woah-Oh! We're half way there...

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rochester/Finger Lakes

Posted 08 August 2014 - 09:33 AM

View PostEleven, on 08 August 2014 - 09:30 AM, said:



Yes, and before they happened, the team was closer to winning the Cup than the 1975 team was.

Gotcha. they were closer in game six of the ECF than the 75 team was in game 6 of the SCF.

You'd make a good lawyer. :)

#11 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

    I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,780 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Posted 08 August 2014 - 09:42 AM

View PostGlass Case Of Emotion, on 08 August 2014 - 09:33 AM, said:

Gotcha. they were closer in game six of the ECF than the 75 team was in game 6 of the SCF.

You'd make a good lawyer. :)

:w00t:

#12 Santa Claus

Santa Claus

    All Star

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,867 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Buffalo

Posted 08 August 2014 - 09:45 AM

View PostGlass Case Of Emotion, on 08 August 2014 - 09:33 AM, said:

Gotcha. they were closer in game six of the ECF than the 75 team was in game 6 of the SCF.

You'd make a good lawyer. :)

Yes and yes.

#13 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

    This pleases Nikita

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,866 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 08 August 2014 - 09:59 AM

1999 was closer than 1975 was closer than 2006.

#14 DHawerchuk10

DHawerchuk10

    Prospect

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 129 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 10:36 AM

1999.  Even without the injuries, its difficult to say whether we would have beaten the Canes.  I think people assumed that based on the hope generated from the Ottawa series.  Based on legitimate hope, I would vote for 2006, but I don't agree we would have walked through the Canes or Oilers.  That is a false assumption that gets worse over time.

#15 pastajoe

pastajoe

    Top Prospect

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 10:44 AM

The 1975 game 6 final was on NHL Network this week. That Sabres team had the Flyers on the ropes the whole game, but Bernie Parent stoned them, as he did throughout the series. A couple of lucky bounces would have been the difference in winning the 2 games they needed. That team was closer.

#16 Taro T

Taro T

    It leads you here despite your destination under the MW tonight.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,262 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 08 August 2014 - 01:30 PM

I posted this in the other thread, but figure  it's worth repeating here.


The '75 team needed at least 3 goals and a win in a frozen over hell in late May.  Wasn't gonna happen.


Had the Isles managed to take game 7 from Filly, that '75 team would have won and there wouldn't even be a discussion about '75 vs '06; but the Sabres had nearly as little chance of winning that last series as the '68-'70 Blues had.  The '06 Sabres were less than 20 minutes away from the Eulers and w/ any returning D matched up very well against the Eulers.


That '75 Sabres team was not realistically going to get a "couple of bounces" against Parent in the Spectrum.  

And finding 4 more goals against Parent wasn't some easy feat to pull off for anyone.  He was better than 0.2 ga/g than anyone in the regular season w/ a 2.02 and dropped that to 1.89 in the playoffs.  (And that 1.89 INCLUDED the 9 goals scored in the fog in games 3&4.)  Heck, the Sabres had a grand total of 3 goals in 3 games in Filly and were shutout when their backs were against the wall at home.  Counting regular season, they had 4 goals in 5 games in Filly.  They never held the Phlyers to less than 2 goals in any of the 11 games they played and gave up 4 or more 8 times.  And, if not for the fog, the Sabres likely don't come close to 4 goals in reguation in either game 3 or 4.  Parent was a friggin' wall during their SC days.  No one played angles like he did and his D didn't let you get to the few rebounds (especially in the Spectrum).

That Sabres team realistically pushed the Phlyers as far as they were going to.  They weren't winning that year, unfortunately.  The Spectrum was literally the Sabres' personal house of horrors.

#17 Taro T

Taro T

    It leads you here despite your destination under the MW tonight.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,262 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 08 August 2014 - 02:24 PM

View PostDHawerchuk10, on 08 August 2014 - 10:36 AM, said:

1999.  Even without the injuries, its difficult to say whether we would have beaten the Canes.  I think people assumed that based on the hope generated from the Ottawa series.  Based on legitimate hope, I would vote for 2006, but I don't agree we would have walked through the Canes or Oilers.  That is a false assumption that gets worse over time.
It is rare that somebody posts that the '06 team "would have walked through the (candy) Canes or Oilers (sp)."  Though often times, when someone states that that Sabres team had an excellent chance of winning that year, it seems somebody ends up interpreting it that way.

It is extremely reasonable to believe the Sabres, had they been healthy, would have beaten the Canes.  Even down 4 D & the Tin Man, they were in the lead in game 7 with less than 20 to play.  And that, after 'Captain Clutch' sent a bad angle shot at an empty net seriously wide in the 1st.

W/ 1 or 2 D back healthy, the Eulers should have been beatable.  (& there was reason to believe they'd've had some of the missing D back for the Finals.)  They'd've finally had home ice again and would have been very difficult to beat; especially w/ the momentum that would have come from beating the 2 best teams (not wearing Shatanic goat heads) in the league that year in consecutive series.

No reason to expect either series would have been a sweep, but even w/ the injuries, the Sabres came close to winning in 6 in the semis - they couldn't hold the lead in game 5.  A win in 5-6 was realistic if healthy.  And, if healthy, 5-6 should have gotten the finals won as well.

Now, w/ that aside stated, back to the '75 vs '06 debate.


As Emily Lutella used to say, nevermind. :oops:

Edited by Taro T, 08 August 2014 - 02:37 PM.


#18 Santa Claus

Santa Claus

    All Star

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,867 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Buffalo

Posted 08 August 2014 - 02:33 PM

View PostTaro T, on 08 August 2014 - 02:24 PM, said:

It is rare that somebody posts that the '06 team "would have walked through the (candy) Canes or Oilers (sp)."  Though often times, when someone states that that Sabres team had an excellent chance of winning that year, it seems somebody ends up interpreting it that way.

It is extremely reasonable to believe the Sabres, had they been healthy, would have beaten the Canes.  Even down 4 D & the Tin Man, they were in the lead in game 7 with less than 20 to play.  And that, after 'Captain Clutch' sent a bad angle shot at an empty net seriously wide in the 1st.

W/ 1 or 2 D back healthy, the Eulers should have been beatable.  (& there was reason to believe they'd've had some of the missing D back for the Finals.)  They'd've finally had home ice again and would have been very difficult to beat; especially w/ the momentum that would have come from beating the 2 best teams (not wearing Shatanic goat heads) in the league that year in consecutive series.

No reason to expect either series would have been a sweep, but even w/ the injuries, the Sabres came close to winning in 6 in the semis - they couldn't hold the lead in game 5.  A win in 5-6 was realistic if healthy.  And, if healthy, 5-6 should have gotten the finals won as well.

Now, w/ that aside stated, back to the '75 vs '06 debate.

I said it--I used the verb "cruise" rather than "walk," but DHawerchuk wasn't misinterpreting me.

And I stand by it.  They would have beat the Canes in 5 or 6 and swept the Oil.

#19 Taro T

Taro T

    It leads you here despite your destination under the MW tonight.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,262 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 08 August 2014 - 02:36 PM

View PostEleven, on 08 August 2014 - 02:33 PM, said:



I said it--I used the verb "cruise" rather than "walk," but DHawerchuk wasn't misinterpreting me.

And I stand by it.  They would have beat the Canes in 5 or 6 and swept the Oil.
My bad.

Apologies to DH.

#20 tom webster

tom webster

    Second Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,079 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 02:40 PM

If you believe legend, Scotty Bowman thought it was the 1979/1980 team and their failure led directly to Rick Martin getting the boot.

#21 Taro T

Taro T

    It leads you here despite your destination under the MW tonight.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,262 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 08 August 2014 - 02:50 PM

View Posttom webster, on 08 August 2014 - 02:40 PM, said:

If you believe legend, Scotty Bowman thought it was the 1979/1980 team and their failure led directly to Rick Martin getting the boot.
Darn Hawks and No Stars.  If only they'd have given Buffalo a challenge and not given Moe-ray-all one, respectively.  Then the Sabres wouldn't have had to wait over a week to play the Isles.

Personally, I blame it on the remake of the song. ;)

#22 dudacek

dudacek

    Second Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,728 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:High and wide

Posted 09 August 2014 - 03:48 AM

Good summertime thread.
1975 was the best Sabre team ever, but it wasn't better than Philly.
2006 was the best team in the league.
So 2006.

#23 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

    This pleases Nikita

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,866 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 09 August 2014 - 07:30 AM

I like how no one remembers how good the Hurricanes really were.

#24 Taro T

Taro T

    It leads you here despite your destination under the MW tonight.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,262 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:14 AM

View Postd4rksabre, on 09 August 2014 - 07:30 AM, said:

I like how no one remembers how good the Hurricanes really were.
Granted I'd x'ed it out above due to the reason for the entire post, but I' pretty sure that they were the 3rd best team in the league that year.  And they SHOULD have been vanquished by the best team (aka the guys wearing Shatanic goat heads).

#25 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

    This pleases Nikita

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,866 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:46 AM

View PostTaro T, on 09 August 2014 - 08:14 AM, said:

Granted I'd x'ed it out above due to the reason for the entire post, but I' pretty sure that they were the 3rd best team in the league that year.  And they SHOULD have been vanquished by the best team (aka the guys wearing Shatanic goat heads).

They made it to the Cup Finals in 2002 and lost to a very good Redwings team, retooled quickly, and came out of the lockout with a really good team. Let's also remember that their divisional opponent the Lightning won a Cup in 2004, so it's not like they didn't have to work to escape that division in 2006. Our division, although consistently in the playoff mix, really wasn't noteworthy. Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto? Not to mention Boston was busy tanking in 2006 (look where that got em).

The Canes were easily as good, if not better than us.

#26 Santa Claus

Santa Claus

    All Star

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,867 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Buffalo

Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:59 AM

View Postd4rksabre, on 09 August 2014 - 08:46 AM, said:

They made it to the Cup Finals in 2002 and lost to a very good Redwings team, retooled quickly, and came out of the lockout with a really good team. Let's also remember that their divisional opponent the Lightning won a Cup in 2004, so it's not like they didn't have to work to escape that division in 2006. Our division, although consistently in the playoff mix, really wasn't noteworthy. Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto? Not to mention Boston was busy tanking in 2006 (look where that got em).

The Canes were easily as good, if not better than us.

The Okra Division was ###### that year.  Not good at all.  Tampa barely made the playoffs, and the other three teams were horrible. Ottawa was the best team in the East during the regular season, Montreal was good enough as usual, and Toronto barely missed (Tampa pipped them).  Meanwhile, the Sabres were peaking.  Kicking ass and taking names.  They would have overrun Carolina like a horde of Mongols if healthy.

#27 weave

weave

    Self-appointed Expert

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,606 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:in your head

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:26 AM

If you are going to take into account the circumstances behind the 75 loss, you have to do the same for the other two.  The defense was decimated against the Canes and only a couple pieces may have come back.  There still would have been 3 AHL'ers in that game 7 lineup, and Carolina was successfully beating the tar out of us in the previous games.  We simply ran out of man power, and I'm not sure that the Canes style of play wouldn't have resulted in further player loss in the next game.  They were targeting us.  That team went as far as they were going to.  

Given the serious injuries to the Stars biggest players, and the fact that we were already in the finals and not an earlier round, I'd have to call that Hasek led team as the closest.  A game 7 chance against what would have been a seriously injury depleted Stars team was robbed from us.  There was no we can't beat them in their barn like there was in Philly.  We were healthy unlike the team in Carolina.  We were robbed of the chance to see it happen.  You can't say that in the Carolina or Flyers series.

A healthy Dallas team makes a difference.  We found out after the game that Dallas was not going to have a couple of their big names if a game 7 happened.  Given No Goal and an injury depleted Stars team, we were never closer than 99.

Edited by weave, 09 August 2014 - 09:27 AM.


#28 SwampD

SwampD

    All Star

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,772 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Jersey, orig. NT

Posted 09 August 2014 - 10:08 AM

View Postd4rksabre, on 09 August 2014 - 07:30 AM, said:

I like how no one remembers how good the Hurricanes really were.
They are also forgeting how good Edmonton was that year, as well. They took Carolina to game seven even after the Canes knocked Pronger out of the series. I guess injuring D-men was their system that year.

#29 Santa Claus

Santa Claus

    All Star

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,867 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Buffalo

Posted 09 August 2014 - 10:29 AM

View PostSwampD, on 09 August 2014 - 10:08 AM, said:

They are also forgeting how good Edmonton was that year, as well. They took Carolina to game seven even after the Canes knocked Pronger out of the series. I guess injuring D-men was their system that year.

Edmonton was an 8 seed that, after beating Detroit, had very favorable matchups to get to the finals.  That Carolina needed seven games to beat them speaks more about Carolina than it does about Edmonton.

The Sabres would have cruised.

#30 SwampD

SwampD

    All Star

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,772 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Jersey, orig. NT

Posted 09 August 2014 - 10:31 AM

View PostEleven, on 09 August 2014 - 10:29 AM, said:

Edmonton was an 8 seed that, after beating Detroit, had very favorable matchups to get to the finals.  That Carolina needed seven games to beat them speaks more about Carolina than it does about Edmonton.

The Sabres would have cruised.
I have never believed that.

#31 weave

weave

    Self-appointed Expert

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,606 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:in your head

Posted 09 August 2014 - 10:54 AM

View PostSwampD, on 09 August 2014 - 10:31 AM, said:

I have never believed that.

Neither did I.  I thought Edmonton was a favorable match up, but Edmonton showed that they were worthy that year.  We would have had our hands full too.

#32 wyldnwoody44

wyldnwoody44

    dont pee into the wind

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,107 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Springville, NY

Posted 09 August 2014 - 07:59 PM

Clearly the Leino led 13-14 sabres were closest to the cup, duh......Not the Stanley Cup but a cup that is worn with a jockstrap

#33 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

    Resistance is futile

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,992 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:56 PM

This discussion makes me want to take an exacto knife to my ball sack.

#34 JujuFish

JujuFish

    Qwerty

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:08 PM

View Postd4rksabre, on 09 August 2014 - 08:46 AM, said:

They made it to the Cup Finals in 2002 and lost to a very good Redwings team, retooled quickly, and came out of the lockout with a really good team. Let's also remember that their divisional opponent the Lightning won a Cup in 2004, so it's not like they didn't have to work to escape that division in 2006. Our division, although consistently in the playoff mix, really wasn't noteworthy. Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto? Not to mention Boston was busy tanking in 2006 (look where that got em).

The Canes were easily as good, if not better than us.
Our division was home to the best (points-wise) team in the conference for 4 consecutive years following the lockout.  And that was 4 different teams each time.

#35 DeLuca1967

DeLuca1967

    #39 - Greatest of All-Time.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,327 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 12 August 2014 - 06:14 AM

View Posttom webster, on 08 August 2014 - 02:40 PM, said:

If you believe legend, Scotty Bowman thought it was the 1979/1980 team and their failure led directly to Rick Martin getting the boot.
If not for the Islanders dynasty 1979-80 team we may have spent the last 34 years celebrating that Stanley Cup.

I'll also throw out the Sabres 1992-93 Buffalo Sabres team that beat Boston and lost to the eventual Cup winners in Montreal was as close as any team the Sabres put on the ice to winning a Cup.