Jump to content


Serious question now that the offseason dust has settled: would you rather go into the 3rd-last game of next season with ...


  • Please log in to reply
156 replies to this topic

Poll: Serious question now that the offseason dust has settled: would you rather go into the 3rd-last game of next season with ...

For this coming season, would you prefer:

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 nfreeman

nfreeman

    All I want is everything you got.

  • SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,788 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Brooklyn

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:01 PM

... a decent shot at the playoffs -- i.e. win all 3 games and probably in?

or

... a decent shot at the 2nd-worst overall record -- which means pretty likely to end up with the #3 overall pick?


I'll take the shot at the playoffs.

I am growing cold and dead inside.  I need the electricity.

Nolan and Trottier behind the bench making like Paul Newman in Slapshot, with the jittery foreign goaltending coach smoking cigarettes and yelling curses in Latvian.

Myers and Risto dominating.

Gionta and Georges steering the canoe.

Stafford and Stewart playing hard and locked in for big paydays.

Enroth finally getting his shot at #1 and putting the death grip on it.

Girgensons starting to make his mark and lifting Foligno up with him.

It could happen.

#2 HopefulFuture

HopefulFuture

    Swords Forever

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:16 PM

I like the thought of Risto dominating, I just don't believe he'll be up with the big club until much later in the season to have any impact on the outcome.

I take that 2nd over all pick 50% over a possible playoff birth. Getting drummed out in the 1st round doesn't feed my appetite much. Getting Eichel does.

#3 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

    Second Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,692 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:34 PM

First round loss or just barely not making the playoffs (again)

VS

Connor McEichel



No brainer for me, man.

#4 SwampD

SwampD

    All Star

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,043 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Jersey, orig. NT

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:43 PM

View PostIKnowPhysics, on 06 August 2014 - 11:34 PM, said:

First round loss or just barely not making the playoffs (again)

VS

Connor McEichel



No brainer for me, man.
That is a no brainer. Unfortunately, that isn't the poll question. When you phase it like

View PostIKnowPhysics, on 06 August 2014 - 11:34 PM, said:

First round loss or just barely not making the playoffs (again)

VS

A less than 50% chance of Connor McEichel

It gets a little trickier. Give me playoffs. F the tank, F Darcy, who started this whole thing, and F promoting losing as something good.

Of course, if we end up with Connor McEichel, I will change my answer.

#5 bunomatic

bunomatic

    bunomatic

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,778 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Nanaimo,B.C.,Canada

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:52 PM

One and out in the playoffs or a potential stud for the next 10 years getting us back to the show year in and year out. I'll take the pick at this point. Hang on nfreeman, its almost over. Don't give up.

#6 Claude_Verret

Claude_Verret

    Second Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,997 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Holly Springs, NC via Hamburg, NY

Posted 07 August 2014 - 01:58 AM

Playoffs with no real shot at the Cup next year would be a huge failure. I've seen that movie too many times and I've got zero use for it.  Give me a legit shot at the Cup or tank it to high heaven.

and if the complaint thread were open, I'd complain that it's 3 AM and I'm at work because some jackass attached my name to a -80 freezer that went down that I've got absolutely nothing stored in. I've spent the last two hours moving ###### to other freezers around the building.  Fargin bastages.

Edited by Claude_Verret, 07 August 2014 - 02:04 AM.


#7 Naulter8

Naulter8

    Prospect

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 180 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 07 August 2014 - 02:24 AM

Best option isn't available,  as IKP pointed out.  How about this last place by a long shot with less then 25% chance at McDavid,  but guaranteed Eichel.  Makes me wanna say,  bring on the playoffs so Pittsburgh can sweep us and we can draft??

Hope you don't mind the acronym

Edited by Naulter8, 07 August 2014 - 02:24 AM.


#8 Kristian

Kristian

    Second Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,661 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 02:52 AM

I don't like losing.

Which is why I'm perfectly on board with another year of tanking and a guaranteed McDavid or Eichel.

THEN we can shove losing up the rest of the leagues backside.

#9 TheMatrix31

TheMatrix31

    30

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California

Posted 07 August 2014 - 03:48 AM

Playoffs, any day. Any. ######. Day.

#10 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

    Woah-Oh! We're half way there...

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,809 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rochester/Finger Lakes

Posted 07 August 2014 - 04:49 AM

Your description leaves something off. If we are fighting for the playoffs, it probably means our #1 center is gonna win the Calder. I really don't see how it could happen if our pivots are Ennis and the Class of 2012.

If that is the case, i think it means the team is better than we currently believe, reducing the need for Conner McEichel (although in my heart of hearts I believe Garth Snow will somehow manage to win him for us) and short cycling the rebuild by 1-2 years.

At the end of the day, what I really want as a fan is to add a top two pick to a team that played in the Atlantic Division Finals.

#11 kas23

kas23

    Prospect

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:32 AM

Every day of the week I'll pick delayed gratitude in order to achieve greatness. I don't want a good team, I want an elite team.

#12 Heimdall

Heimdall

    Third Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Brussels, Belgium

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:38 AM

another tank year is what we are here for

#13 Crusader1969

Crusader1969

    Top Prospect

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:55 AM

when you say " just give me the playoffs" you sound exactly like Leaf fans - believe me I hear them every single day.

As Sabre fans we should be saying "just bring me the cup". Want the best possibility to see the cup in Buffalo? give it one more year and draft McDavid or Eichel.

#14 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

    This pleases Nikita

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,519 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:31 AM

I want elite players. I'll take another year of suck over squeaking into the playoffs. Let's see the plan through to the end.

#15 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

    Woah-Oh! We're half way there...

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,809 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rochester/Finger Lakes

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:07 AM

View Postd4rksabre, on 07 August 2014 - 07:31 AM, said:

I want elite players. I'll take another year of suck over squeaking into the playoffs. Let's see the plan through to the end.
I guess there's a solid caveat here.

If we're sneaking into the playoffs with Risto, Pysyk, Zadarov, Reinhart, Grigorenko, Armia all in the lineup, That might mean we already have elite players. If a team with 6 rooks is finishing ahead of two of Detroit, Ottawa, Tampa, Montreal that will indicate we have found what we are looking for.

If Nikita, Mikhail, Joel, Samson are not on the roster and we're battling for 4th, that indicates that the pieces that are not part of the solution just screwed us again.

#16 It Figures

It Figures

    Prospect

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:52 AM

This is a fun question.

As someone else has noted, it's possible that we could be a bubble playoff team and the Islanders could be "working" to bring us one of the elite prospects. That just seems unlikely, no?

I agree that we need to be prepared to see this plan through. We need and want elite players. In order to get them, we need to stink it up. Again. We need to "trade the days for the years," as a parenting book once counseled me.

Darcy was not wrong when he talked about "some suffering."

#17 Taro T

Taro T

    It leads you here despite your destination under the MW tonight.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,825 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:17 AM

I want the Isles to be the worst by a large margin, and FOR THIS SINGLE SEASON, I am fine w/ them being bad (especially if they are entertaining & bad, like TN's initial Sabres squad.  Fighting for 28th, even though it doesn't guarantee 1/2 of McEichel, it does guarantee another borderline elite guy.

Like Maggie said, "this is no time to go wobbly now."  See it through.

#18 nfreeman

nfreeman

    All I want is everything you got.

  • SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,788 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Brooklyn

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:28 AM

Let's remember that by the time the playoffs roll around, it will have been 4 effing years since we knew the gut-churning, unbearably tense thrill ride of playoff hockey.

April 22, 2011.  That was the last time the Sabres won a playoff game (it OT, no less -- on an Ennis putback).

Would you really rather wait another 20 freaking months for the Sabres to play a playoff game?  And do you want to wait that long in exchange for a 42% chance (probably less, since they are changing the rules) at the #2 overall pick?

And what about the regular season?  Don't you want to wake up on a Wednesday, with the Sabres on a 3-game win streak and the Bruins coming to town, look forward to the game all day, wonder whether the Sabres can deliver a statement win, go crazy when Kaleta lines up Lucic, break the game down here afterwards and then go to bed happy?

Why do we care about this team anyway if not for the thrills?

#19 dEnnis the Menace

dEnnis the Menace

    D63

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,290 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Central NY (Fingerlakes)

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:28 AM

View Postbunomatic, on 06 August 2014 - 11:52 PM, said:

One and out in the playoffs or a potential stud for the next 10 years getting us back to the show year in and year out. I'll take the pick at this point. Hang on nfreeman, its almost over. Don't give up.

View PostClaude_Verret, on 07 August 2014 - 01:58 AM, said:

Playoffs with no real shot at the Cup next year would be a huge failure. I've seen that movie too many times and I've got zero use for it.  Give me a legit shot at the Cup or tank it to high heaven.

these here.  I don't want to barely make the playoffs only to lose in the first round.  I'd rather draft the guy that is going to keep pushing us there and have a legitimate shot the following year.

#20 biodork

biodork

    I love lamp.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,144 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:central PA

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:36 AM

I know it's not the popular answer, but I'm with you, nfreeman.  I miss caring about this team.  If they're truly not good enough this year and finish 29th-30th in spite of trying, then so be it.  But, if something amazing happens and the kids coalesce into a legit team that is contending with the heavyweights, I don't want anyone on the coaching staff or FO telling them to back off for fear of hurting our draft status.

#21 sizzlemeister

sizzlemeister

    Dreamer of Dreams

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,660 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:In your neighborhood.

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:36 AM

We have come all this way with the Sabres, knowing throughout the latter half of it that, in the end, the goal is to build a true contender.

We know this is the last season for it.  We know that, even without getting the number 1 pick, if the Sabres tank, they will get a player whose caliber we have dreamed of for many seasons now.

Do we want a legit chance at building a true contender? Yes.  Is tanking the only way? No.  Tanking is the path they started on, though, and it's something they haven't really tried before (in earnest).

I don't like it while it's happening, but I do like the end game...a lot.  And since, again, we have all travelled this far and the end is in sight, it only makes sense to stay the course.




#22 thewookie1

thewookie1

    Fourth Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:41 AM

It would very as to where the NYI are in the standings and to a lesser extent ST.L along with who's helping us make it to the playoffs.

If Girgs, Risto and friends are at least a good part of the reasoning behind a playoff push then certainly. If its merely Stafford, Stewart, Gionta, and Moulson having career years I'd rather not.


If NYI was near the bottom however, I wouldn't care about Buffalo's position.


So to sum it up, if the rookies and youngsters are the primary or at least a large part of the reasoning Buffalo is going to pull of a worst to 7/8th in a year then logic would dictate the NYI are very likely not also in thus still giving us a lottery pick. As long as we don't middle it and have the NYI going to the playoffs I can live with it.


#23 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

    Woah-Oh! We're half way there...

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,809 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rochester/Finger Lakes

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:44 AM

Even if I'm fighting for a playoff spot, I'm not trading picks for players in March, and I'm entertaining all offers for pending UFAs, including goalies.

So even if I'm not in favor of losing, my team gets significantly worse (minus Stafford, Meszaros, Stewart, Mitchell, possible Enroth and Neuvirth) for the final 6 weeks of the season. Should be enough "tank".

Would any of the "I want to be excited now" crowd like to offer their thoughts on what should be done at the deadline in 2015 (buy/hold/sell)?

Edited by Glass Case Of Emotion, 07 August 2014 - 09:45 AM.


#24 nfreeman

nfreeman

    All I want is everything you got.

  • SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,788 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Brooklyn

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:52 AM

View PostGlass Case Of Emotion, on 07 August 2014 - 09:44 AM, said:

Even if I'm fighting for a playoff spot, I'm not trading picks for players in March, and I'm entertaining all offers for pending UFAs, including goalies.

So even if I'm not in favor of losing, my team gets significantly worse (minus Stafford, Meszaros, Stewart, Mitchell, possible Enroth and Neuvirth) for the final 6 weeks of the season. Should be enough "tank".

Would any of the "I want to be excited now" crowd like to offer their thoughts on what should be done at the deadline in 2015 (buy/hold/sell)?

Good question.

I would trade Stafford at the deadline, and I don't care what kind of season he has.  I'm not giving him an extension -- I know how that story plays out.

I'm open to giving Stewart an extension if he's crushing it this year.  If there is no extension in place at the deadline, though, I would trade him too.

I'm skeptical as to the deadline value of Enroth, Neuvirth, Mitchell and Meszaros.  If any of them would return a 2nd-rounder, though -- off they go.

Bottom line is that I'm fine with trading any of these guys at the deadline if they return good assets -- but not if the Sabres are on the bubble and the point of the trade is to weaken the team in order to improve their draft position.

#25 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

    That Nostalgic Olfactory Blend

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:Bobcaygeon, Ontario

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:00 AM

View Postbiodork, on 07 August 2014 - 09:36 AM, said:

But, if something amazing happens and the kids coalesce into a legit team that is contending with the heavyweights, I don't want anyone on the coaching staff or FO telling them to back off for fear of hurting our draft status.
I don't think anyone is suggesting or thinking that this could happen. That said, is there any chance that a waiver-immune young player (e.g., Risto) could be sent back to Rochester if he were rounding into a stud d-man form and thereby threatening the tank? That also seems unlikely. The blowback would be overwhelming.

View PostIt Figures, on 07 August 2014 - 08:52 AM, said:

We need to "trade the days for the years," as a parenting book once counseled me.
Well, we're trading more than days for those years, but I take your meaning.

#26 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

    Woah-Oh! We're half way there...

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,809 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rochester/Finger Lakes

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:07 AM

View Postnfreeman, on 07 August 2014 - 09:52 AM, said:

Good question.

I would trade Stafford at the deadline, and I don't care what kind of season he has.  I'm not giving him an extension -- I know how that story plays out.

I'm open to giving Stewart an extension if he's crushing it this year.  If there is no extension in place at the deadline, though, I would trade him too.

I'm skeptical as to the deadline value of Enroth, Neuvirth, Mitchell and Meszaros.  If any of them would return a 2nd-rounder, though -- off they go.

Bottom line is that I'm fine with trading any of these guys at the deadline if they return good assets -- but not if the Sabres are on the bubble and the point of the trade is to weaken the team in order to improve their draft position.

granted. If we're on the bubble, it's likely that most of those players are having seasons worthy of a good return.

#27 Taro T

Taro T

    It leads you here despite your destination under the MW tonight.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,825 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:08 AM

View Postnfreeman, on 07 August 2014 - 09:52 AM, said:



Good question.

I would trade Stafford at the deadline, and I don't care what kind of season he has.  I'm not giving him an extension -- I know how that story plays out.

I'm open to giving Stewart an extension if he's crushing it this year.  If there is no extension in place at the deadline, though, I would trade him too.

I'm skeptical as to the deadline value of Enroth, Neuvirth, Mitchell and Meszaros.  If any of them would return a 2nd-rounder, though -- off they go.

Bottom line is that I'm fine with trading any of these guys at the deadline if they return good assets -- but not if the Sabres are on the bubble and the point of the trade is to weaken the team in order to improve their draft position.
But if they're on the bubble, trading them for "good assets" could very likely weaken the team.  They aren't trading Stafford (a rental) for something that helps THIS season.  Same w/ the other guys you mentioned.  The only way they get something at the deadline that helps get them into / keep them in the 'win the last 3 and you're in' scenario is trading away youth (either in prospects or picks).  Are you willing to do that?

[Edit:] And if they aren't going to push to get into the playoffs when they're that close, then they are back on DR's treadmill of finishing w/ ~ the 12th overall pick.  That benefits none of us and brings on even greater frustration (IMHO) than full out RR hockey.  But if they DO go for it this year and drop future assets, they are also going to bring on greater frustration as most of the team should be better players in the future and are dropping assets that could/should help those future stronger players.

Give me top 2 in division, or give me bottom 2 in the league; anywhere else THIS YEAR is just a waste.  Again, IMHO.

Edited by Taro T, 07 August 2014 - 10:16 AM.


#28 nfreeman

nfreeman

    All I want is everything you got.

  • SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,788 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Brooklyn

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:41 AM

View PostTaro T, on 07 August 2014 - 10:08 AM, said:

But if they're on the bubble, trading them for "good assets" could very likely weaken the team.  They aren't trading Stafford (a rental) for something that helps THIS season.  Same w/ the other guys you mentioned.  The only way they get something at the deadline that helps get them into / keep them in the 'win the last 3 and you're in' scenario is trading away youth (either in prospects or picks).  Are you willing to do that?

[Edit:] And if they aren't going to push to get into the playoffs when they're that close, then they are back on DR's treadmill of finishing w/ ~ the 12th overall pick.  That benefits none of us and brings on even greater frustration (IMHO) than full out RR hockey.  But if they DO go for it this year and drop future assets, they are also going to bring on greater frustration as most of the team should be better players in the future and are dropping assets that could/should help those future stronger players.

Give me top 2 in division, or give me bottom 2 in the league; anywhere else THIS YEAR is just a waste.  Again, IMHO.

I am not willing to give up picks/prospects at the deadline for a playoff push.

I am 100% willing to trade players on expiring contracts for good picks/prospects -- even though that will weaken the playoff push -- because that is the better long-term move.

I am not willing to trade players on expiring contracts for lousy assets where the point of the trade is to further the tank.

So if the Sabres can get a #2 pick for Stafford or Stewart -- they should do so.  But if it's a #3?  Or maybe a #5 for Meszaros, who has been capably holding down the #5 defenseman slot?  Then I would pass.

#29 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

    Woah-Oh! We're half way there...

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,809 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rochester/Finger Lakes

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:49 AM

View Postnfreeman, on 07 August 2014 - 10:41 AM, said:

I am not willing to give up picks/prospects at the deadline for a playoff push.

I am 100% willing to trade players on expiring contracts for good picks/prospects -- even though that will weaken the playoff push -- because that is the better long-term move.

I am not willing to trade players on expiring contracts for lousy assets where the point of the trade is to further the tank.

So if the Sabres can get a #2 pick for Stafford or Stewart -- they should do so.  But if it's a #3?  Or maybe a #5 for Meszaros, who has been capably holding down the #5 defenseman slot?  Then I would pass.

The only thing that should matter in these cases is whether you've decided to extend them and they have agreed.

Can't let them walk if you can get ANYTHING in return. Not one of them is worth that risk.

#30 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

    This pleases Nikita

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,519 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:56 AM

This season being terrible is a lot better than being a bubble playoff team. We've been a bubble team. Making the playoffs knowing you won't win is awful and I have no desire to revisit all the years post-07 where making the playoffs didn't mean squat.

#31 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

    Poop Flavored Lollypop

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,629 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tanking it Old School

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:03 AM

IF the team were playing well and going into to the final couple weeks was on the cusp I would cheer them on.  At that point the 2nd part of the tank would have already been blown, no reason not to.  That being said if we are still bad next year than I am fine trading a bit at the deadline and drafting in the top 5 in 2015.  In 2015, nothing short of upward progress will suffice.

#32 biodork

biodork

    I love lamp.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,144 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:central PA

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:09 AM

View PostGlass Case Of Emotion, on 07 August 2014 - 09:44 AM, said:

Even if I'm fighting for a playoff spot, I'm not trading picks for players in March, and I'm entertaining all offers for pending UFAs, including goalies.

So even if I'm not in favor of losing, my team gets significantly worse (minus Stafford, Meszaros, Stewart, Mitchell, possible Enroth and Neuvirth) for the final 6 weeks of the season. Should be enough "tank".

Would any of the "I want to be excited now" crowd like to offer their thoughts on what should be done at the deadline in 2015 (buy/hold/sell)?

View Postnfreeman, on 07 August 2014 - 09:52 AM, said:

Good question.

I would trade Stafford at the deadline, and I don't care what kind of season he has.  I'm not giving him an extension -- I know how that story plays out.

I'm open to giving Stewart an extension if he's crushing it this year.  If there is no extension in place at the deadline, though, I would trade him too.

I'm skeptical as to the deadline value of Enroth, Neuvirth, Mitchell and Meszaros.  If any of them would return a 2nd-rounder, though -- off they go.

Bottom line is that I'm fine with trading any of these guys at the deadline if they return good assets -- but not if the Sabres are on the bubble and the point of the trade is to weaken the team in order to improve their draft position.

View Postnfreeman, on 07 August 2014 - 10:41 AM, said:

I am not willing to give up picks/prospects at the deadline for a playoff push.

I am 100% willing to trade players on expiring contracts for good picks/prospects -- even though that will weaken the playoff push -- because that is the better long-term move.

I am not willing to trade players on expiring contracts for lousy assets where the point of the trade is to further the tank.

So if the Sabres can get a #2 pick for Stafford or Stewart -- they should do so.  But if it's a #3?  Or maybe a #5 for Meszaros, who has been capably holding down the #5 defenseman slot?  Then I would pass.

I'm with nfreeman again.  I definitely wouldn't mortgage the future at the deadline for the sake of a playoff push, but I very much dislike the idea of actively trying to be bad.  If the players are working hard and getting results, intentionally disrupting that for a possible draft pick sends the wrong message to the players who are here.  That being said, I realize it's pretty unlikely this group will magically turn into the 2012 LA Kings.

#33 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

    Woah-Oh! We're half way there...

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,809 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rochester/Finger Lakes

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:14 AM

View Postbiodork, on 07 August 2014 - 11:09 AM, said:

I'm with nfreeman again.  I definitely wouldn't mortgage the future at the deadline for the sake of a playoff push, but I very much dislike the idea of actively trying to be bad.  If the players are working hard and getting results, intentionally disrupting that for a possible draft pick sends the wrong message to the players who are here.  That being said, I realize it's pretty unlikely this group will magically turn into the 2012 LA Kings.

It's not about the intention to be bad, I don't really care about where the sabres draft pick lands, I fully expect Garth to provide Jack Eichel. If Meszaros, Stafford, Stewart, and Mitchell are not part of the future, and you don't trade them, they walk for nothing on 7/1. Tanking isn't about telling the guys to lose. It rarely is about getting rid of players for nothing because they might cause you to win. It's about trading current assets for futures. The opposite of tanking, in this case, is giving away, potentially, a late first and 1-2 second round picks in favor of 6 more games in April.

Do you let that happen in favor of (maybe) making the playoffs?

#34 Taro T

Taro T

    It leads you here despite your destination under the MW tonight.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,825 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:16 AM

View Postnfreeman, on 07 August 2014 - 10:41 AM, said:



I am not willing to give up picks/prospects at the deadline for a playoff push.

I am 100% willing to trade players on expiring contracts for good picks/prospects -- even though that will weaken the playoff push -- because that is the better long-term move.

I am not willing to trade players on expiring contracts for lousy assets where the point of the trade is to further the tank.

So if the Sabres can get a #2 pick for Stafford or Stewart -- they should do so.  But if it's a #3?  Or maybe a #5 for Meszaros, who has been capably holding down the #5 defenseman slot?  Then I would pass.
If you're not willing to give up picks/prospects to make a push, what sort of odds do you see them having of winning those last 3 games to get into the dance?

I want nothing to do w/ that scenario of being on the bubble.

#35 biodork

biodork

    I love lamp.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,144 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:central PA

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:17 AM

View PostGlass Case Of Emotion, on 07 August 2014 - 11:14 AM, said:

It's not about the intention to be bad, I don't really care about where the sabres draft pick lands, I fully expect Garth to provide Jack Eichel. If Meszaros, Stafford, Stewart, and Mitchell are not part of the future, and you don't trade them, they walk for nothing on 7/1. Tanking isn't about telling the guys to lose. It rarely is about getting rid of players for nothing because they might cause you to win. It's about trading current assets for futures. The opposite of tanking, in this case, is giving away, potentially, a late first and 1-2 second round picks in favor of 6 more games in April.

Do you let that happen in favor of (maybe) making the playoffs?

Definitely not, but if those players are performing well and want to be a part of the future of this team (and can be signed to a new deal / extension), I'm not opposed to keeping some of them vs flipping at the deadline, unless the return is too good to ignore.

#36 Taro T

Taro T

    It leads you here despite your destination under the MW tonight.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,825 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:20 AM

View Postbiodork, on 07 August 2014 - 11:09 AM, said:





I'm with nfreeman again.  I definitely wouldn't mortgage the future at the deadline for the sake of a playoff push, but I very much dislike the idea of actively trying to be bad.  If the players are working hard and getting results, intentionally disrupting that for a possible draft pick sends the wrong message to the players who are here. That being said, I realize it's pretty unlikely this group will magically turn into the 2012 LA Kings.
So are you standing pat at the deadline or selling picks/prospects to help the current guys continue to get results and sneak into the playoffs.  What kind of a message does standing pat send?

#37 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

    Second Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,692 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:21 AM

View PostNaulter8, on 07 August 2014 - 02:24 AM, said:

Best option isn't available,  as IKP pointed out. ...

Hope you don't mind the acronym

That's the preferred acronym.

We're going to trade players at the deadline for picks or prospects.  The lack of roster, not the lack of effort, will make us bad enough to lose our way to Connor McEichel.  We're not buyers at the deadline unless there's a long-term return that legitimately contributes to the elite team.  Stewart, Stafford, Mitchell, and Meszaros are ripe for deadline deals to acquire 2015 picks or 2010-14 prospects.

#38 biodork

biodork

    I love lamp.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,144 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:central PA

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:25 AM

View PostTaro T, on 07 August 2014 - 11:20 AM, said:

So are you standing pat at the deadline or selling picks/prospects to help the current guys continue to get results and sneak into the playoffs.  What kind of a message does standing pat send?

All depends on who's on the block, how they've performed, and whether they can be part of the future.  I'd focus almost exclusively on the performance of the players here to decide whether they stay and be a part of things or get moved for a better return.  I don't see us as buyers at the deadline under any circumstances, but I don't think it'll be a fire sale like last year (unless they're abysmally bad, which I hope not).

#39 Taro T

Taro T

    It leads you here despite your destination under the MW tonight.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,825 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:34 AM

View PostIKnowPhysics, on 07 August 2014 - 11:21 AM, said:



That's the preferred acronym.

We're going to trade players at the deadline for picks or prospects.  The lack of roster, not the lack of effort, will make us bad enough to lose our way to Connor McEichel.  We're not buyers at the deadline unless there's a long-term return that legitimately contributes to the elite team.  Stewart, Stafford, Mitchell, and Meszaros are ripe for deadline deals to acquire 2015 picks or 2010-14 prospects.

Yup.  Which is why being on the cusp would be the absolute worst place to be at the trade deadline and moving forward.

View Postbiodork, on 07 August 2014 - 11:25 AM, said:



All depends on who's on the block, how they've performed, and whether they can be part of the future.  I'd focus almost exclusively on the performance of the players here to decide whether they stay and be a part of things or get moved for a better return.  I don't see us as buyers at the deadline under any circumstances, but I don't think it'll be a fire sale like last year (unless they're abysmally bad, which I hope not).
And if they aren't going to be buyers at the deadline, even if they are on the verge of the playoffs, then why want to be there?  It hurts the future (12th pick is far less desirable than 2nd/3rd) and does nothing (when one gets right down to it) for the present.  If they don't add to the puzzle, and they are on the cusp, then standing pat probably doesn't get them in.  And as this squad has shown far too often in the past decade, momentum doesn't carry over the summer.

I hate that I'm looking forward to them being bad, but I am.  Mediocre will be far worse.  A surprise run of them actually being good, would be preferred yet more, but it isn't likely.  So I'm back to let the bad times roll.

[Edit:]  And I may have missed it, but I don't recall seeing anyone advocating a firesale like the past 2.  If they're truly horrible, it won't be necessary.

Edited by Taro T, 07 August 2014 - 11:38 AM.


#40 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

    Second Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,692 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:34 AM

Quote

There are two doors. The door to your right leads to the Stanley Cup and the salvation of Buffalo. The door to your left leads back to the mediocrity, to them... and to the end of your fans' hopes. As you adequately put, the problem is choice. But we already know what you are going to do, don't we? Already I can see the chain reaction: the chemical precursors that signal the onset of an emotion, designed specifically to overwhelm logic and reason. An emotion that is already blinding you to the simple and obvious truth: the Buffalo Sabres 2014 playoff chances are going to die and there is nothing you can do to stop it.


Posted Image


Quote

Woah.


Posted Image

Edited by IKnowPhysics, 07 August 2014 - 11:38 AM.