Jump to content


The "meddling" Kim Pegula???


  • Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

#1 LabattBlue

LabattBlue

    First Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,363 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Western New York

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:12 AM

I know it's Bucky, and therefore, this will be chalked up by many as nonsense, they own the team and have a right to be involved blah blah blah, but what the heck is going on at Sabres offices at FNC...

"It has come to my attention that Kim Pegula has taken a more aggressive role in daily operations of the Sabres over the past year. Apparently, she’s not just making sure First Niagara Center looks spiffy for events, as it appeared when she arrived.

She’s not making personnel moves or breaking down the power play, but I’m told she has a seat in hockey meetings and therefore has a say in hockey-related matters. If you’re shaking your head over that nugget, you are not alone.".

http://www.buffalone...regier-20140706


I can't wait for the Kim Pegula vs. Tim Murray showdown. LOL

Edited by LabattBlue, 07 July 2014 - 07:14 AM.


#2 nucci

nucci

    Third Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Wilmington, DE

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:33 AM

Big difference between meddling and being involved in team meetings.

#3 SDS

SDS

    #7

  • SS Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,175 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Maryland

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:36 AM

That's just spreading FUD.

Unless he can quantify what is actually happening, then that's a BS statement to throw out there.

#4 sabills

sabills

    Top Prospect

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:47 AM

Why shouldn't she? She's part owner, too. What makes her any less qualified then Terry?

#5 shrader

shrader

    National Oranization of Men Against Amazonian Masterhood

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,283 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Boston, NY/Apex, NC

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:48 AM

I've always hated when papers put out those quick bullet point columns like that one, especially when they dance around from sport to sport.  We don't have enough to write a single story on, so we'll just throw as much crap out there as we can and see what sticks.

That and I'm waiting for the inevitable sexism complaints that we are going to hear because of this one.

#6 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

    Woah-Oh! We're half way there...

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,700 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rochester/Finger Lakes

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:51 AM

View Postshrader, on 07 July 2014 - 07:48 AM, said:

I've always hated when papers put out those quick bullet point columns like that one, especially when they dance around from sport to sport.  We don't have enough to write a single story on, so we'll just throw as much crap out there as we can and see what sticks.

That and I'm waiting for the inevitable sexism complaints that we are going to hear because of this one.

I know right, Bucky has a clear history of ethics and strong character. His record speaking out for women's rights is nearly unmatched in the WNY media.

He was obviously insinuating that she should have less say than any other owner because she's Asian.

#7 papazoid

papazoid

    Top Prospect

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:52 AM

my money is on Kim Pegula being much smarter than bucky.

#8 kas23

kas23

    Prospect

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:53 AM

I'm fine with whatever Kim wants to do.

#9 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

    That Nostalgic Olfactory Blend

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,523 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:Bobcaygeon, Ontario

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:56 AM

I joke a lot about my devotion to the lovely and talented Kim Pegula. It's a jokey narrative based on some kernel of truth -- she is a pretty lady, and, based on the two times I've met her, she is warm, charming, and engaging. (And while I can't be totally sure, I think she may also smell nice.)

So, that's my disclosure of bias.

Bucky is Bucky. And this right here is Bucky at his Buckiest.

First, he takes a backhanded swipe at the fact that Mrs. Pegula's no longer concerning herself strictly with women's work.

He says she's taking a more "aggressive" role, but doesn't explain what's more aggressive other than having a seat at a meeting. Of course, as a result of being physically present in the room, she has "a say." Evidently, Bucky and his source would prefer it if Mrs. Pegula kept her yap shut when she sits in on these meetings.

Her husband bought the franchise. While she may not be formally named as a co-owner (and I'm sure there are substantive legal and financial reasons why), the franchise is as much her property as it is his. So she elects to sit in on hockey meetings and help work through decisions that are being made. She apparently did the same thing at East Resources; that seemed to turn out okay for her and her husband.

JFC. The more I think about this, the more I can barely resist the urge to go the BN offices, find that fat ###### and finally plant one on his chin. (A punch. Not a kiss -- those I reserve for Kim Pegula. And my wife.)

View Postshrader, on 07 July 2014 - 07:48 AM, said:

That and I'm waiting for the inevitable sexism complaints that we are going to hear because of this one.

More than happy to oblige.

Edited by That Aud Smell, 07 July 2014 - 08:04 AM.


#10 shrader

shrader

    National Oranization of Men Against Amazonian Masterhood

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,283 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Boston, NY/Apex, NC

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:00 AM

View PostThat Aud Smell, on 07 July 2014 - 07:56 AM, said:

More than happy to oblige.

I'm glad you did because I can't help but pick up that message when I read that blurb.

#11 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

    Poop Flavored Lollypop

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,566 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tanking it Old School

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:08 AM

I was going to read it but I refuse to drive traffic for Bucky.

Kim Pegula, who I have also met and she was very nice (she thinks Mike Weber is a great guy (she said guy, not player fyi)), as a co owner of the team should be kept informed of things.  I really don't care if she is a woman, alien, or porcupine.  She owns the team with her husband and is clearly a fan of the sport.  Sitting in on meetings to keep informed makes sense and when you're a billionaire with ample free time, why wouldn't you?

#12 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

    That Nostalgic Olfactory Blend

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,523 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:Bobcaygeon, Ontario

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:24 AM

And, no joke: If I had to choose between the two Pegulas when it came to having an owner with an active hand (I know, I don't get a choice), I would choose Mrs. Pegula. I realize that's probably because I know far less about her -- but Terry's the guy who got all choked up about Perreault, Terry's the guy who intimated that he knew Gaustad was a leader among men, and Terry's the guy who this time last year said "What's he done wrong?" about Darcy.

Mind you: I still think we'll be more than fine with Terry as the chief officer. But I'd prefer Kim's cool reserve over Terry's bizarre showings of naivete, if it came down to a choice.

#13 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

    First Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,641 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cheektowaga, NY

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:30 AM

Wake me when she starts overriding Murray's decisions. Oh, and before you wake me for this, please have proof.

Edited by TrueBluePhD, 07 July 2014 - 08:31 AM.


#14 shrader

shrader

    National Oranization of Men Against Amazonian Masterhood

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,283 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Boston, NY/Apex, NC

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:32 AM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 07 July 2014 - 08:30 AM, said:

Wake me when she starts overriding Murray's decisions. Oh, and before you wake me for this, please have proof.

Will a vague reference from Bucky do?

#15 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

    Poop Flavored Lollypop

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,566 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tanking it Old School

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:34 AM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 07 July 2014 - 08:30 AM, said:

Wake me when she starts overriding Murray's decisions. Oh, and before you wake me for this, please have proof.
Well at the last lunch meeting Tim Murray the General Manager, well he wanted extra pepperoni and sausage on his pizza but Kim Pegula made him order veggie pizza with wheat crust and told him he couldn't get a dozen wings for himself he had to share.  Dark times ahead, dark times.

#16 PromoTheRobot

PromoTheRobot

    Makin' it rain

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:34 AM

Just started a new hash tag: #BNsexist.

#17 bunomatic

bunomatic

    bunomatic

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,770 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Nanaimo,B.C.,Canada

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:35 AM

Pictures ? I need to know if there's pictures that go along with this story.

#18 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

    Woah-Oh! We're half way there...

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,700 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rochester/Finger Lakes

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:35 AM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 07 July 2014 - 08:30 AM, said:

Wake me when she starts overriding Murray's decisions. Oh, and before you wake me for this, please have proof.

She doesn't need to over ride him. Her decisions are input even before he makes a choice. Haven't you seen Inception?

#19 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

    All Star

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,033 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:35 AM

View PostLabattBlue, on 07 July 2014 - 07:12 AM, said:

I know it's Bucky, and therefore, this will be chalked up by many as nonsense, they own the team and have a right to be involved blah blah blah, but what the heck is going on at Sabres offices at FNC...

"It has come to my attention that Kim Pegula has taken a more aggressive role in daily operations of the Sabres over the past year. Apparently, she’s not just making sure First Niagara Center looks spiffy for events, as it appeared when she arrived.

She’s not making personnel moves or breaking down the power play, but I’m told she has a seat in hockey meetings and therefore has a say in hockey-related matters. If you’re shaking your head over that nugget, you are not alone.".

http://www.buffalone...regier-20140706


I can't wait for the Kim Pegula vs. Tim Murray showdown. LOL

Quite a mysogynistic tone here. Not cleaning the building but sitting in on  men's meetings. Oh-no.

Anyway, she had a pretty good draft and free agency period. :P

#20 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

    Resistance is futile

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,257 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:40 AM

View Postshrader, on 07 July 2014 - 07:48 AM, said:

That and I'm waiting for the inevitable sexism complaints that we are going to hear because of this one.

Of course it's sexist. Terry's involvement never had Bucky suggesting people would be shaking their heads. We're all a product of where and when we grew up. Bucky's a South Buffalo dude out of the 70s.

View PostX. Benedict, on 07 July 2014 - 08:35 AM, said:

Quite a mysogynistic tone here. Not cleaning the building but sitting in on  men's meetings. Oh-no.

Anyway, she had a pretty good draft and free agency period. :P

Well, that tone was set from the outset by the Pegulas themselves, when Kim was designated to be the interior designer.

#21 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

    Woah-Oh! We're half way there...

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,700 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rochester/Finger Lakes

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:49 AM

View Post716, on 07 July 2014 - 08:36 AM, said:

I want Tim Murray to be absolute and total dictator. I don't want this Chelsea Clinton wannabe and her hockey "instincts" to affect the decision making process.

I do not understand this analogy at all.

#22 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

    That Nostalgic Olfactory Blend

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,523 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:Bobcaygeon, Ontario

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:52 AM

View PostPASabreFan, on 07 July 2014 - 08:40 AM, said:

Well, that tone was set from the outset by the Pegulas themselves, when Kim was designated to be the interior designer.

Not unfair.

#23 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

    Resistance is futile

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,257 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:01 AM

By the way, Korab, this is what turns me on — that, and your mom wearing just a slug.

View PostThat Aud Smell, on 07 July 2014 - 08:52 AM, said:

Not unfair.

I'd love to know if Kim's involvement changed at some point, or if she was sitting on meetings from the outset. Maybe Terry's not well, who knows.

I'd also like to know the motivation of Bucky's source.

One more thing. Anyone else remember Terry on Day One talking about how he still has a family in Florida, a daughter trying to break into pro tennis, etc. and he wouldn't be able to be in Buffalo all the time. When and why did that change? Why do the Pegulas even feel the need to be hovering over everything all the time?

Wow, this story has everything! Sex, sexism, dress shields, a corrupt judge, and meddling, meddling, meddling. When I read this subject line, poppa hit the jackpot!!!!

#24 Tankalicious

Tankalicious

    Sam Reinhart, please

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:05 AM

His "shaking your head" statement just kind of screams "oh no, I'm really masculine and don't want a woman involved in sports management." Who is to say she isn't really well-versed in the operations of this hockey team and isn't having a positive impact?

#25 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

    All Star

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,033 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:27 AM

View PostTankalicious, on 07 July 2014 - 09:05 AM, said:

His "shaking your head" statement just kind of screams "oh no, I'm really masculine and don't want a woman involved in sports management." Who is to say she isn't really well-versed in the operations of this hockey team and isn't having a positive impact?

I hope she's well-versed. She's what? 45? Asian-American women have the longest life expectancy....over 85 years I'm guessing.
White men on average live to 75.  

She could survive Terry by over 30 years.

This is a friendly message from the Sabrespace Amateur Actuarial Society.

#26 Neuvirths Glove

Neuvirths Glove

    Third Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts
  • Location:Fort Worth, Texas

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:35 AM

View PostGlass Case Of Emotion, on 07 July 2014 - 07:51 AM, said:

He was obviously insinuating that she should have less say than any other owner because she's Asian.

I think she's leveraging that to finally bring Taro Tsujimoto into camp.

#27 shrader

shrader

    National Oranization of Men Against Amazonian Masterhood

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,283 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Boston, NY/Apex, NC

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:45 AM

View PostGlass Case Of Emotion, on 07 July 2014 - 08:35 AM, said:

She doesn't need to over ride him. Her decisions are input even before he makes a choice. Haven't you seen Inception?

That's how deep the meddling goes, a dream within a dream within a dream?

#28 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

    Resistance is futile

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,257 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:49 AM

View PostTankalicious, on 07 July 2014 - 09:05 AM, said:

His "shaking your head" statement just kind of screams "oh no, I'm really masculine and don't want a woman involved in sports management." Who is to say she isn't really well-versed in the operations of this hockey team and isn't having a positive impact?

Another possibility — and I'll refute my own opinion from earlier, but only because I was thinking of all this in the shower just now — is that the head-shaking would result from not Kim's presence but Terry's absence.

#29 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

    Woah-Oh! We're half way there...

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,700 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rochester/Finger Lakes

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:50 AM

View PostPASabreFan, on 07 July 2014 - 09:49 AM, said:

Another possibility — and I'll refute my own opinion from earlier, but only because I was thinking of all this in the shower just now — is that the head-shaking would result from not Kim's presence but Terry's absence.

You really need to stop think about Kim's presence and Terry's absence while you're in the shower :)

#30 BRAWNDO

BRAWNDO

    Third Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,240 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:59 AM

View PostTankalicious, on 07 July 2014 - 09:05 AM, said:

His "shaking your head" statement just kind of screams "oh no, I'm really masculine and don't want a woman involved in sports management." Who is to say she isn't really well-versed in the operations of this hockey team and isn't having a positive impact?

This.

Kim Pegula could have been the one who said enough is enough with Darcy and made the decision to fire him.

If the Pegula's are serious about buying the Bills, she could be taking a more active role in Sabres to allow Terry more time to concentrate on the purchase.

From every description I have heard about Mrs. Pegula she is bright, energitic  and caring about what she does.  Matt Moulson raved about her treatment of his wife when he was initally traded to Buffalo.

Until I see or hear concrete evidence why this is a bad development, I am all for it.

#31 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

    All Star

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,033 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:04 AM

Fun with Thesaurus:

Head-scratching:  Bucky suggests Bafflement, Bamboozlement, Discombobulation and Confusion.
We need an official head-scratching smiley. Should it be this :blink:  this :huh:  or this :wacko:.

#32 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

    Poop Flavored Lollypop

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,566 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tanking it Old School

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:07 AM

View PostX. Benedict, on 07 July 2014 - 10:04 AM, said:

Fun with Thesaurus:

Head-scratching:  Bucky suggests Bafflement, Bamboozlement, Discombobulation and Confusion.
We need an official head-scratching smiley. Should it be this :blink:  this :huh:  or this :wacko:.
I vote :wacko:

Also "Meddling" should be added to the filter. It has become and evil word.

#33 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

    That Nostalgic Olfactory Blend

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,523 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:Bobcaygeon, Ontario

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:08 AM

View PostPASabreFan, on 07 July 2014 - 09:01 AM, said:

I'd love to know if Kim's involvement changed at some point, or if she was sitting on meetings from the outset. Maybe Terry's not well, who knows.

I'm getting the sense that her involvement did change. I don't see any basis to infer that Terry's not well and/or absent.

View PostPASabreFan, on 07 July 2014 - 09:01 AM, said:

I'd also like to know the motivation of Bucky's source.

I think we can all well guess at it with fair accuracy.

View PostPASabreFan, on 07 July 2014 - 09:49 AM, said:

Another possibility — and I'll refute my own opinion from earlier, but only because I was thinking of all this in the shower just now — is that the head-shaking would result from not Kim's presence but Terry's absence.

Again, I just don't see any implication of that.

#34 Claude_Verret

Claude_Verret

    Second Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,983 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Holly Springs, NC via Hamburg, NY

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:08 AM

View PostBRAWNDO, on 07 July 2014 - 09:59 AM, said:

If the Pegula's are serious about buying the Bills, she could be taking a more active role in Sabres to allow Terry more time to concentrate on the purchase.

This was my initial thought when hearing she has been taking on a larger role with the Sabres, but still I don't get anything out of that blurb that suggests KP has a seat in lieu of TP.

#35 sizzlemeister

sizzlemeister

    Dreamer of Dreams

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,619 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:In your neighborhood.

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:12 AM

So, when everyone in WNY is enjoying the incredibly marvelous summer weather we've been having for the past, goodness, near month if not longer, Bucky is sitting at a desk somewhere thinking of ways to take a shot at the Sabres.

Why does he think a story like that has any merit?  Yes, we can and will discuss the ramifications of the Pegula ownership here, but, outside of our little, cloistered Sabres community, who will give a s#*t about this?  Why, Bucky, why?

#36 bcardona

bcardona

    Top Prospect

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Location:Fairport, NY

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:13 AM

Two things on this:
1.  Remember Kim is from Fairport, FHS '87.  Inkman is '89.  I don't know if that means anything but it gives me some comfort.
2.  If it were Darcy I might be worried.  GMTM is working on his magnus opus.  No guarantees of course, but this is his moment, he's not going to be derailed by Terry or Kim or the pasta guy.  Trust.

#37 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

    Woah-Oh! We're half way there...

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,700 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rochester/Finger Lakes

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:16 AM

View Postbcardona, on 07 July 2014 - 10:13 AM, said:

Two things on this:
1.  Remember Kim is from Fairport, FHS '87.  Inkman is '89.  I don't know if that means anything but it gives me some comfort.
2.  If it were Darcy I might be worried.  GMTM is working on his magnus opus.  No guarantees of course, but this is his moment, he's not going to be derailed by Terry or Kim or the pasta guy.  Trust.

I'm FHS '01, does that make it worse?

#38 bcardona

bcardona

    Top Prospect

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Location:Fairport, NY

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:50 AM

View PostGlass Case Of Emotion, on 07 July 2014 - 10:16 AM, said:

I'm FHS '01, does that make it worse?
Haha. I did not know that, cool.

#39 Taro T

Taro T

    It leads you here despite your destination under the MW tonight.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,804 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:59 AM

Good for her.  She owns the team and if she wants to sit in on meetings, that's her perogative.

Until we have more than Bucky getting his panties in a wad over this and see some actual evidence that she is overruling TM (which doesn't even seem to be what he is saying, though obviously he's hoping the implication is there), this is just Bucky getting his panties in a wad.  Must be rough trying to stay relevant in a dying industry.

Probably shouldn't hold the FHS thing against her either; not her fault her parents preferred to overpay taxes for dirt cheap electricity. ;)

#40 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

    Woah-Oh! We're half way there...

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,700 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rochester/Finger Lakes

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:04 AM

View PostTaro T, on 07 July 2014 - 10:59 AM, said:

Good for her.  She owns the team and if she wants to sit in on meetings, that's her perogative.

Until we have more than Bucky getting his panties in a wad over this and see some actual evidence that she is overruling TM (which doesn't even seem to be what he is saying, though obviously he's hoping the implication is there), this is just Bucky getting his panties in a wad.  Must be rough trying to stay relevant in a dying industry.

Probably shouldn't hold the FHS thing against her either; not her fault her parents preferred to overpay taxes for dirt cheap electricity. ;)

My parents leave their air conditioning on when they go on vacation. for the cat.