The tank is 1/2 over...

• Please log in to reply
331 replies to this topic

Poll: The tank is 1/2 over...

Will you be pissed if the tank goes off course and the Sabres don't pick #1 or #2?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 LabattBlue

LabattBlue

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,385 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 07:21 PM

The tank is 50% done(1 season down, 1 to go)...

IMO, the Sabres aren't going to move far from the 30th when next spring rolls around, but if by chance TN works a miracle and the Sabres end up somewhere along the lines of 5-10 from the bottom, I will be disappointed.  Even if they finish 3 or 4 from the bottom, my guess is teams aren't going to move out of the top two draft spots.

What are your thoughts on missing out on Eichel or McDavid because of a run to nowhere(still missing the playoffs).

#2 ubkev

ubkev

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 07:36 PM

The only way I'm ok with us not getting the number 1 or 2 pick next year is if we win the Stanley Cup.

#3 Hank

Hank

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 07:38 PM

Tank on!  Anything outside the top two picks is a failure of the season. I think TM has already improved the team too much.

#4 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

Woah-Oh! We're half way there...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,807 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 07:40 PM

View PostLabattBlue, on 06 July 2014 - 07:21 PM, said:

The tank is 50% done(1 season down, 1 to go)...

IMO, the Sabres aren't going to move far from the 30th when next spring rolls around, but if by chance TN works a miracle and the Sabres end up somewhere along the lines of 5-10 from the bottom, I will be disappointed.  Even if they finish 3 or 4 from the bottom, my guess is teams aren't going to move out of the top two draft spots.

What are your thoughts on missing out on Eichel or McDavid because of a run to nowhere(still missing the playoffs).

First: my avatar says it all.

I want nothing to do with positions 4-13.

I am really hoping for 1-3, I am ok with this team 'just' missing the playoffs (would signify significant improvement from the kids)

If the the team isn't playing well, but is sitting in 11th or 12th place in the east come December, I want immediate goalie by committee (including vinz) and permanent seats booked on the BUF-ROC greyhound for the constant back and forth of half the roster.

I really doubt these actions will be necessary, however. No matter how hard teddy gets them playing. This blue line is significantly worse than last year. And even with last year's D, we were far worse after Ryan left. I expect more of the same.

#5 Neo

Neo

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 08:04 PM

I live in Tampa and drive to Buffalo twice a year to visit family.  Not picking one or two will be like getting north to Charlotte and realizing I forgot my wallet.   We're half way there ....

#6 Jsixspd

Jsixspd

If it goes wrong, blame Battista

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,609 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 08:43 PM

Why do we need to tank two years in a row?  

The Blackhawks' "Tank" season was 2006-2007, and they finished 5th in the Central,  with the 4th worst overall record in the league with 71 points, which earned them the number 1 pick

The rebuilding was 2007-08 with new management.   They finished 3rd in the Central with a jump up to 88 points in the first season after the management change, did not qualify for the playoffs

2008-09, they finished 2nd in the Central, with 104 points.  They made it into the 3rd round of the playoffs, being defeated in the Conference Final by the Wings

2009-10, 112 points, finished 1st in the Central, and won the Stanley Cup.

So, using the Blackhawks rebuild as a model, 2013-14 was the Hawks 2006-07

This year 2014-15 - SHOULD show improvement - up to the 80 point mark,

Then 2015-16, we should be making the playoffs.

I can't believe GMTM isn't fully aware of the Blackhawks' schedule for a rebuild.  I would think he believes he can turn this team around in a similar time frame.  Why do we need or want two tank years in a row?  Actually, 3, because 2012-13 was pretty dismal too!   80 points this season would seem like an enormous improvement compared to last season;  we won't be hitting the playoffs but it won't be a tank either - at least I hope not.

#7 thewookie1

thewookie1

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 09:12 PM

I want a pick between 1-3 or the team to make it to the playoffs with Reinhart, Girgs, and the younglings being the primary factor for achieving it. No interest in picks 4-14 for us unless the NYI/STL bomb into the top 3.

#8 dudacek

dudacek

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 09:19 PM

Of course I would rather finish 30th than 20th, but I am OK with the team starting to rebound; it would mean some of our potential is actually starting to turn into results.
More to the point, I'm more or less resigned to the lottery vaulting a team outside the bottom five into victory in the McDavid derby, anyway.

That said, I would be very surprised if we do not get two top 10 picks next year, and I think there is a good chance we will have two on the top five.
Even if our haul is picks seven and 14, adding those two players (and 26, 37 and 44) to what we already have in the system is going to set us up for a long run of being a very good hockey team.

The Ron Rolston period was the nadir for this team. Whether we are 30 or 20, I don't want to be that unwatchable again.

Edited by dudacek, 06 July 2014 - 09:21 PM.

#9 Rebecca Buck

Rebecca Buck

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 09:25 PM

I'm still dreaming of a last place finish followed by the Islanders winning the lottery....then we can have McDavid - Reinhart - Eichel as our top line for the next 15 years. :wub:

#10 nfreeman

nfreeman

All I want is everything you got.

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,787 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 09:30 PM

View Postdudacek, on 06 July 2014 - 09:19 PM, said:

The Ron Rolston period was the nadir for this team. Whether we are 30 or 20, I don't want to be that unwatchable again.

I have never seen any of my sports teams look as dead as that Sabres team did.

#11 PromoTheRobot

PromoTheRobot

Makin' it rain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 09:33 PM

You know what would piss me off more than not finishing last?  FInishing last and not picking first.  Kind of like this year.

#12 WildCard

WildCard

I haven't slept for 10 days, because that would be too much.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 09:37 PM

View PostPromoTheRobot, on 06 July 2014 - 09:33 PM, said:

You know what would piss me off more than not finishing last?  FInishing last and not picking first.  Kind of like this year.
Why? We got the player we wanted this year, and the consolation prize in 2015 would be the 1st overall in almost any other draft.

#13 Naulter8

Naulter8

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 180 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 09:42 PM

View PostJsixspd, on 06 July 2014 - 08:43 PM, said:

The Blackhawks' "Tank" season was 2006-2007, and they finished 5th in the Central,  with the 4th worst overall record in the league with 71 points, which earned them the number 1 pick

The rebuilding was 2007-08 with new management.   They finished 3rd in the Central with a jump up to 88 points in the first season after the management change, did not qualify for the playoffs

2008-09, they finished 2nd in the Central, with 104 points.  They made it into the 3rd round of the playoffs, being defeated in the Conference Final by the Wings

I can't believe GMTM isn't fully aware of the Blackhawks' schedule for a rebuild.  I would think he believes he can turn this team around in a similar time frame.  Why do we need or want two tank years in a row?  Actually, 3, because 2012-13 was pretty dismal too!   80 points this season would seem like an enormous improvement compared to last season;  we won't be hitting the playoffs but it won't be a tank either - at least I hope not.

Connor McDavid

#14 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

Woah-Oh! We're half way there...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,807 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 09:47 PM

View PostNaulter8, on 06 July 2014 - 09:42 PM, said:

Connor McDavid

This is a much more succinct response.

Spot on.

Also 3rd overall in 2006, then 1st overall in 2007. It was a solid 2 year tank.

Edited by Glass Case Of Emotion, 06 July 2014 - 09:50 PM.

#15 Naulter8

Naulter8

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 180 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 09:58 PM

View PostGlass Case Of Emotion, on 06 July 2014 - 09:47 PM, said:

This is a much more succinct response.

Spot on.

Also 3rd overall in 2006, then 1st overall in 2007. It was a solid 2 year tank.

Do we need McDavid?  No, and Pittsburgh doesn't need Crosby and Malkin.  Chicago doesn't need Toews and Kane. I WANT  McDavid

#16 SabresBillsFan

SabresBillsFan

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 10:09 PM

To me this is year 2 of the tank but I still don't think we will be a ton better even if we land a top 2 pick next year. These players need time to develop. It's not going to happen overnight. I still think  it's only 2/3 done after next year. Who knows if Reinhart makes the team and even if he can who says they don't keep him in juniors. Lots of ????? And only Murray has the answers.

Edited by SabresBillsFan, 06 July 2014 - 10:10 PM.

#17 BRAWNDO

BRAWNDO

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 10:12 PM

I would be happy with Eichel

Edited by BRAWNDO, 06 July 2014 - 10:17 PM.

#18 Naulter8

Naulter8

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 180 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 10:19 PM

View PostSabresBillsFan, on 06 July 2014 - 10:09 PM, said:

To me this is year 2 of the tank but I still don't think we will be a ton better even if we land a top 2 pick next year. These players need time to develop. It's not going to happen overnight. I still think  it's only 2/3 done after next year. Who knows if Reinhart makes the team and even if he can who says they don't keep him in juniors. Lots of ????? And only Murray has the answers.

I can wait for the house to be built,  as long as there's a freshly poured sturdy foundation it's going up on

View PostBRAWNDO, on 06 July 2014 - 10:12 PM, said:

If we miss on McDavid I would be happy with Eichel

Absolutely!  He'd be first overall most years anyway! I'll take a 5th overall,  but I think one of the two will be sporting blue and gold within a year

#19 ubkev

ubkev

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 10:28 PM

View PostJsixspd, on 06 July 2014 - 08:43 PM, said:

In 02-03 the Blackhawks won 30 games, in 03-04 they won 20, in 05-06 they won 26, and in 06-07 they won 31. In 07-08 the captaincy was vacant and Toews was named captain a year later with Duncan Keith as an alternate. That's what tanking got them. They hadn't made the playoffs in 5 years and they weren't even close in that time.

#20 thewookie1

thewookie1

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 10:38 PM

View Postubkev, on 06 July 2014 - 10:28 PM, said:

In 02-03 the Blackhawks won 30 games, in 03-04 they won 20, in 05-06 they won 26, and in 06-07 they won 31. In 07-08 the captaincy was vacant and Toews was named captain a year later with Duncan Keith as an alternate. That's what tanking got them. They hadn't made the playoffs in 5 years and they weren't even close in that time.

I'm completely against tanking for 5 years, 2 is my max.

#21 Naulter8

Naulter8

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 180 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 10:41 PM

View Postthewookie1, on 06 July 2014 - 10:38 PM, said:

I'm completely against tanking for 5 years, 2 is my max.

A line between tanking and losing has to be drawn somewhere.

#22 bunomatic

bunomatic

bunomatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,778 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 11:03 PM

View PostNaulter8, on 06 July 2014 - 10:41 PM, said:

A line between tanking and losing has to be drawn somewhere.

tanking/losing

How's that ?

I jest. I think anything less than 1 or 2 in the draft makes this losing a waste of time. In a perfect world we get both.

Edited by bunomatic, 06 July 2014 - 11:04 PM.

#23 Potato

Potato

Take Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,392 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 11:13 PM

There is no single route to winning a cup.  It certainly doesn't require losing on purpose year after year.  It does require a GM know knows what he is going and can string together several successful personnel moves.

The Cup Champion Kings only have one top-5 pick on the roster that they drafted (Doughty #2 in 2008).

Edited by Potato, 20 July 2014 - 12:23 PM.

#24 Potato

Potato

Take Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,392 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 11:47 PM

2012: 2 first rounders (Grigorenko, Girgensons) + 1 second rounder (McCabe) + Ullmark in 6th round
2013: 2 first rounders (Ristolainen, Zadorov) + 4 second rounders (Compher, Hurley, Bailey, Carrier (StL)) + Baptiste + Fasching
2014: 1 first rounder (Reinhart) + 3 second rounders (Lemieux, Cornel, Karabacek)
2015: 3 first rounders, 3 seconds

With 19 first and second round picks over a 4 year span, this team should be fine with or without McDavid/Eichel.  If not, fire every single scout.

#25 Naulter8

Naulter8

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 180 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:04 AM

View Postbunomatic, on 06 July 2014 - 11:03 PM, said:

tanking/losing

How's that ?

I jest. I think anything less than 1 or 2 in the draft makes this losing a waste of time. In a perfect world we get both.

That's what I mean,  say we do get first,  then I don't think we're tanking.  From that point on the moves we make are to WIN hockey games.  In 3 years the rebuild won't be over,  we will still be losing,  but we wont  be tanking.

#26 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,298 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:11 AM

View PostNaulter8, on 07 July 2014 - 12:04 AM, said:

That's what I mean,  say we do get first,  then I don't think we're tanking.  From that point on the moves we make are to WIN hockey games.  In 3 years the rebuild won't be over,  we will still be losing,  but we wont  be tanking.
Well said

#27 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,727 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:22 AM

View PostPotato, on 06 July 2014 - 11:13 PM, said:

Their is no single route to winning a cup.  It certainly doesn't require losing on purpose year after year.  It does require a GM know knows what he is going and can string together several successful personnel moves.

The Cup Champion Kings only have one top-5 pick on the roster that they drafted (Doughty #2 in 2008).

I feel like I have to say this every time the Kings are brought up: they traded a #3 overall and #5 overall to secure the final pieces to their championship puzzle. Obviously I can't say it would be impossible to make the trade without them, but we also can't just pretend top-5 drafted players weren't the centerpieces of those crucial trades.

#28 HopefulFuture

HopefulFuture

Swords Forever

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:33 AM

With TM's recent moves I now firmly believe getting one of McDavid or Eichel is out the window. Sabres finish with a 4th to 7th OA draft selection slot from the 15 draft. I also believe the Islanders will be better and may be a bubble playoff team given the EC's weak competition. St. Louis offers us a pick between 22 to 30th OA.

In essence, the tank will go strong for another 2 full seasons, drafting in the 4th to 10th slot in that 16 draft IMHO.

#29 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,540 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 01:23 AM

View PostPromoTheRobot, on 06 July 2014 - 09:33 PM, said:

View PostPotato, on 06 July 2014 - 11:13 PM, said:

Their is no single route to winning a cup.  It certainly doesn't require losing on purpose year after year.  It does require a GM know knows what he is going and can string together several successful personnel moves.

Exactly. #1 overall picks haven't necessarily brought tremendous success. Kane and Crosby...... the only two I consider game changers and only one team in the last fourteen years has been an annual contender for a Cup. No, I don't consider Pittsburgh in there.

I've said this before, the Sabres are going to find it much tougher to lose games this year than they think. It's easy to tank and finish dead last when you spend all year trading away your team for draft picks. But when you have to fill those spots during the offseason to reach the floor it's not as easy to lose.

I know some will say that the Sabres finished so far out last year that even if they won seven more games they still would have finished last...... so they can be better and still finish dead last. Well, you also need to throw in Darcy and Rolston getting fired. That caused some distractions. Then you need to throw in the goaltending fiasco at the end of the year when they were down to the 6th stringer. Add up Rolston's games and the remaining games after Enroth/Neuvirth got hurt and you have a 6-25-3 record. Get rid of all that and the Sabres would have won seven more games last year. Now throw in a revamped roster.................. it's not going to be that easy to suck.

#30 Claude_Verret

Claude_Verret

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,997 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:38 AM

I'll go one step further and say I'm for tanking in every season where the cup isn't a realistic possibility, especially this year when the playoffs aren't even a realistic possibility.  I've been a Sabres fan for almost 40 years, at this point I have zero use for anything but a legit cup contending team.  Frankly I'm surprised that anyone would advocate for yet another run to nowhere and another Stafford/Zagrapan/Persson/Kassian-like pick in a draft year that has BOTH the next potential Crosby and Kane.  Now that would be a wasted season.

#31 MILFHUNTER#518

MILFHUNTER#518

Formerly BADMOFO518

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:03 AM

View PostPotato, on 06 July 2014 - 11:47 PM, said:

2012: 2 first rounders (Grigorenko, Girgensons) + 1 second rounder (McCabe) + Ullmark in 6th round
2013: 2 first rounders (Ristolainen, Zadorov) + 4 second rounders (Compher, Hurley, Bailey, Carrier (StL)) + Baptiste + Fasching
2014: 1 first rounder (Reinhart) + 3 second rounders (Lemieux, Cornel, Karabacek)

With 19 first and second round picks over a 4 year span, this team should be fine with or without McDavid/Eichel.  If not, fire every single scout.
That is amazing. Most of those prospects should be ready for the big time any day now...

#32 LabattBlue

LabattBlue

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,385 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:21 AM

I agree that the stable of prospects "should" be great(keep in mind that if they hit on 40-50% of the players you listed, they will be lucky), but what would you rather have...a chance at a "superstar" as a reward for another year of sucking or a below average team finishing 5-10 spots from the bottom?

#33 K-9

K-9

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,839 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:19 AM

View PostRebecca Buck, on 06 July 2014 - 09:25 PM, said:

I'm still dreaming of a last place finish followed by the Islanders winning the lottery....then we can have McDavid - Reinhart - Eichel as our top line for the next 15 years. :wub:

I just felt it move.

GO SABRES!!!

#34 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,629 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:23 AM

+1, Glad I didn't have to write this up.

Look if 50% of those guys hit and that is probable, then we wouldn't have to have McDavid or Eichel.  Do you know why the Oilers still stink? Why the Pens haven't won another cup?  Why LA and Chicago have won multiple cups?  Being able to find quality players late in the first round or in the 2nd round and beyond.  It is something Tim Murray talks about all the time.  Do I want Jack Eichel?  Absolutely.  That being said we are picking bottom 5 and we have 2 other first round picks in what is considered a very deep draft.  If Murray can get 2 out of those 3 picks to hit you just filled out your second line and maybe 1 on your first line if all goes well.

#35 thanes16

thanes16

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:01 AM

I understand the number of high round picks the Sabres have between 2012-2015, but come on. Having McDavid or Eichel a part of that puts the icing on the cake. Buffalo would be a powerhouse w/ an elite player leading the way.   Last season was tough to sit through, but it'll be a partial waste if the Sabres don't land a top two pick. Buffalo will be good if they if the don't get a hold of McDavid or Eichel, but they'll be great if they do. One more cellar dweller season will be worth it.

LGR4GM, quote by Girgensons on your post sums its.

“Sometimes,” said Zemgus Girgensons, “you have to pass on the good things to achieve the greater things.”

#36 Neuvirths Glove

Neuvirths Glove

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:42 AM

I don't know.... I'm rooting for the team to win.  If they do and don't get the top pick(s), I'm okay, as long as they get better year-on-year.

#37 Jsixspd

Jsixspd

If it goes wrong, blame Battista

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,609 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:17 AM

View Postubkev, on 06 July 2014 - 10:28 PM, said:

I picked 2007 as a starting point for the Blackhawks when the new management took over, and Rocky Wirtz overturned his father's applecart and started the actual rebuilding progress, by hiring a new president and coach within a year's time or so.   So I was equating 2006-07 with our 2012-13 season, and 2007-08 as our 2013-14 season.  They had 5 tank years of not making the playoffs compared to our 3 so far.  But picks are only as good as the management doing the picking.   The Hawks didn't start to make effective drafts and trades (other than Toews) until Rocky Wirtz took over after his father passed, and within a year of that is when Joe Quenville was brought on board too, before the start of the 08-09 season.  

With the changes to the team so far, I just can't see them staying below 60 points for 2014-15.  I think they'll be better than that, so I'm guessing we'll see progress starting this season with a 70-80 point season, and hopefully the team continuing to improve moving forward.

Edited by Jsixspd, 07 July 2014 - 10:18 AM.

#38 Crusader1969

Crusader1969

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:34 AM

They might be -FINE but we are looking for Dominating. I still think that requires 1 of these players at the very least.

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 07 July 2014 - 12:22 AM, said:

I feel like I have to say this every time the Kings are brought up: they traded a #3 overall and #5 overall to secure the final pieces to their championship puzzle. Obviously I can't say it would be impossible to make the trade without them, but we also can't just pretend top-5 drafted players weren't the centerpieces of those crucial trades.

THANK YOU!!!! absolutely right.

#39 Crusader1969

Crusader1969

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:49 AM

View PostClaude_Verret, on 07 July 2014 - 06:38 AM, said:

I'll go one step further and say I'm for tanking in every season where the cup isn't a realistic possibility, especially this year when the playoffs aren't even a realistic possibility.  I've been a Sabres fan for almost 40 years, at this point I have zero use for anything but a legit cup contending team.  Frankly I'm surprised that anyone would advocate for yet another run to nowhere and another Stafford/Zagrapan/Persson/Kassian-like pick in a draft year that has BOTH the next potential Crosby and Kane.  Now that would be a wasted season.
Music to my ears.. I think thats a great perspective from another fan of this team for 40 years. I don't want playoff contender I want Cup favorite. That requires Game changers like McDavid and/or Eichel.

#40 BRAWNDO

BRAWNDO

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:55 AM

These are the point totals for the teams that finished in 30th, 27th and 24th over the past 3 seasons when 82 games where played. Before the Lottery these equal the First, Fourth and Seventh Draft Positions

30th 27th 24th
2013-14: 52    77 83

2011-12: 65    79 81

2010-11   62    73 81

Realistically how many more wins can we expect this season?

Considering a 17gm stretch in Dec and Jan where Miller had a .938 Save Percentage and the Sabres went 6-5-6 giving them 18 points. Enroth was in net for one of the losses and Miller was in net for the six games they got a loser point.

Plus Ernhoff had the highest Corsi Rel on the team and the other D Men had their highest when paired with him.

Will the Sabres be better this season, absolutely.   But I cannot see them winning enough games next year to escape drafting in top five.