485 replies to this topic

#1 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,629 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 03:23 PM

I know it is far to early but come on we are already discussing this in multiple places. Eichel/McDavid are fascinating prospects with franchise changing potential. We now know we have at least 3 first round picks in the 2015 draft with a possibility of at least 2 lottery shots.

So this guy

And this guy

And that is just the top 2 guys. Here are some names to look up. http://www.draftsite...ock-draft/2015/

O and paraphrasing "You ain't seen nothin yet."

#2 Derrico

Derrico

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,107 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 03:35 PM

I love the atleast 3 remark.  This daft could seriously go a long way to setting this franchise up for a long time.

Cheers to that :beer:

#3 WildCard

WildCard

I haven't slept for 10 days, because that would be too much.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 03:37 PM

I'm okay with it being early, I've been waiting for this thread to start sense the season ended. I figured it would the day after the 2014 draft, but now works.

#4 Derrico

Derrico

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,107 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 03:41 PM

How many pages do we hit before the 2015 draft?  I think we have a shot at well over 100.

#5 WildCard

WildCard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 03:47 PM

View PostDerrico, on 22 May 2014 - 03:41 PM, said:

How many pages do we hit before the 2015 draft?  I think we have a shot at well over 100.
We have what, 70 pages in the 2014 thread? And that's without the actual draft day and another month of heightened speculation.

Over/under 100 anyone? I'll take over

#6 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,727 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 03:54 PM

View PostDerrico, on 22 May 2014 - 03:41 PM, said:

My drool alone will cover half of that.

#7 dudacek

dudacek

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 04:04 PM

I posted this on the other thread, but it better belongs here:

Our first and second, Islanders first and second, and the Blues first - it will be the draft that defines this franchise for the next decade.

#8 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,692 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 04:57 PM

This thread's gonna be so bonerific.

There's not much historical precedence for how bonerific this will be. The Blue Jackets just had three first round picks at 14th, 19th, and 27th overall, which netted them Alexander Wennberg ©, Kirby Reichel (LW), and Marko Dano (RW), respectively.  That's a full line of first rounders, probably some mixture of their top line three years from now.

But we're talking about a set of three draft picks that in good probability will end up looking like #2-5, #3-9, and #15-22.  And that will add to our #12 Grigorenko, #14 Girgensens, #8 Ritstolainen, #16 Zadorov, and our #2 ______ , not to mention our bounty of 2nd rounders.

#9 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,692 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 05:13 PM

For the record, if both the Sabres and Islanders finish bottom five, the probability of winning the lottery (presumably Connor McDavid) is a minimum of 18.8% (4-5 finish) and a maximum of 46.8% (1-2 finish).  That;s nice and ######-y, but keep in mind that on top of McDavid, you obviously get to select the other pick as well.

If the Sabres and Islanders finish 1-2, that means there's almost a 50-50 chance of getting McDavid and a 100% chance of getting Eichel (if that's who we want as the 2nd overall pick).  It's really a 50-50 chance of getting players whose potential matches that of Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin.  In one draft.  Plus another first round pick.

McDavid:

Eichel:

Ludicrous.

Edited by IKnowPhysics, 22 May 2014 - 05:13 PM.

#10 kas23

kas23

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 07:21 PM

I guess the question is, do we have anyone left to sell off for more? Maybe package a 2nd and Stafford/Ennis/hoff for another first? Maybe not during the offseason, but maybe when teams start getting desperate at the deadline. We certainly can't settle for just 3. That's child's play.

#11 BRAWNDO

BRAWNDO

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 07:39 PM

Nice article about Eichel.  Its probably has been posted already but it is drool worthy...

http://unitedstateso...-talking-about/

View Postdudacek, on 22 May 2014 - 04:04 PM, said:

I posted this on the other thread, but it better belongs here:

Our first and second, Islanders first and second, and the Blues first - it will be the draft that defines this franchise for the next decade.

This is getting Sabres Fans through the next 13 months.

Edited by BRAWNDO, 22 May 2014 - 07:48 PM.

#12 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,692 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 07:42 PM

View Postkas23, on 22 May 2014 - 07:21 PM, said:

I guess the question is, do we have anyone left to sell off for more? Maybe package a 2nd and Stafford/Ennis/hoff for another first? Maybe not during the offseason, but maybe when teams start getting desperate at the deadline. We certainly can't settle for just 3. That's child's play.

It's possible that if Stafford plays how he has been playing, we could sell him for a 20-30th overall pick.  Teams didn't seem as willing to pay high prices for rentals this year.

I'm still a fan of Ennis, and I'd like him to stick around a while.  We'll extend him a qualifying offer.

Ehrhoff's story hasn't completely unfolded yet.  He's a great value.  He could be useful going forward or selling him off could help complete the tank.  It depends on whether he wants to be here, which is a question that's been asked of him by the media.  There's also possible cap penalty issues to be resolved.

Jamie McBain may interest some teams if we don't want him.  I haven't been impressed with him.  He won't return much of anything useful, maybe a 3rd rounder at best.

Chris Stewart is trade bait, although I wouldn't mind watching him play some games in Buffalo.  And according to some, the trade sending him to Ottawa that never happened could still happen.

Tyler Myers will still attract attention, especially from teams like Edmonton and Florida.  But it's been greatly debated whether we should let that happen and what kind of return would be reasonable to demand.

We're likely hanging onto Cody Hodgson, of course.

Looking at the roster, there's not much after that, especially anything that could launch even a 2nd round pick up into a top-20 pick.  I actually feel a lot better about Tank Mark II after typing this out.

Edited by IKnowPhysics, 22 May 2014 - 07:43 PM.

#13 nfreeman

nfreeman

All I want is everything you got.

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,787 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 07:48 PM

Everyone needs to keep calm.

The odds are still well against the Sabres getting McDavid.  And by "well against," I mean less than a 25% likelihood -- so it's greater than 75% likely that we don't get him.

I have been steadily predicting that the Islanders are going to stink next year.  I still don't think they'll make the playoffs, but as others have pointed out, it's likely that having Halak elevates them from a bottom-5 team to a bottom-12 team.

And while the Sabres are still probably the worst team in the NHL, there are going to be a number of teams that intentionally tank next year.  I also think a full year of Nolan, plus not losing Miller and Ott at the deadline, is likely to result in a reasonable improvement in total points by the Sabres next year.  So it's quite possible that the Sabres could finish 3rd-worse or 4th-worse next year.

In other words:  don't be surprised if the Sabres are picking #4 and #11 next year.  And if that happens, don't start carrying on about how unfair life is and how Buffalo always gets screwed.

#14 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,692 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 08:02 PM

View Postnfreeman, on 22 May 2014 - 07:48 PM, said:

Get your Prozac away from me.

#15 dmass43

dmass43

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 08:22 PM

The Sabres REALLY could use McDavid it probably won't happen though.

#16 Derrico

Derrico

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,107 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 09:00 PM

Picking 4 and 11 will still bring us one great and one very good player.  

Having said that mcdavid is the goal.

#17 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,298 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 11:27 PM

View Postdmass43, on 22 May 2014 - 08:22 PM, said:

The Sabres REALLY could use McDavid it probably won't happen though.
Ah...like a fortuitous night with Kate Upton

#18 dudacek

dudacek

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 11:54 PM

Upton or McDavid?
Where do your true priorities lie?

#19 ubkev

ubkev

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 11:59 PM

View Postdudacek, on 22 May 2014 - 11:54 PM, said:

Upton or McDavid?
Where do your true priorities lie?

If I had to pick between McDavid on the Sabres or a night of fun and frivolity with Kate Upton...no contest, Kate Upton all day and twice on Sunday. That's like asking if you'd rather have a million dollars or see the Bills win a Super bowl.

Always go with the one that entertains you more.

Edited by ubkev, 23 May 2014 - 12:01 AM.

#20 Arcsabresfan41

Arcsabresfan41

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 12:13 AM

View Postubkev, on 22 May 2014 - 11:59 PM, said:

If I had to pick between McDavid on the Sabres or a night of fun and frivolity with Kate Upton...no contest, Kate Upton all day and twice on Sunday. That's like asking if you'd rather have a million dollars or see the Bills win a Super bowl.

Always go with the one that entertains you more.
Get out.

:P

For the record...McDavid please. please please please. by the time the sabres are winning their fourth cup, I'd have forgotten almost every detail of that night anyway.

Edited by Arcsabresfan41, 23 May 2014 - 12:14 AM.

#21 Heimdall

Heimdall

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 12:27 AM

View PostWildCard, on 22 May 2014 - 03:37 PM, said:

I'm okay with it being early, I've been waiting for this thread to start sense the season ended. I figured it would the day after the 2014 draft, but now works.

Yeah not like we got much else to look forward to for a year or so.   2015 summer will be our goal.

#22 SabresBillsFan

SabresBillsFan

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 12:45 AM

The odds are still well against the Sabres getting McDavid.  And by "well against," I mean less than a 25% likelihood -- so it's greater than 75% likely that we don't get him.

I have been steadily predicting that the Islanders are going to stink next year.  I still don't think they'll make the playoffs, but as others have pointed out, it's likely that having Halak elevates them from a bottom-5 team to a bottom-12 team.

And while the Sabres are still probably the worst team in the NHL, there are going to be a number of teams that intentionally tank next year.  I also think a full year of Nolan, plus not losing Miller and Ott at the deadline, is likely to result in a reasonable improvement in total points by the Sabres next year.  So it's quite possible that the Sabres could finish 3rd-worse or 4th-worse next year.

In other words:  don't be surprised if the Sabres are picking #4 and #11 next year.  And if that happens, don't start carrying on about how unfair life is and how Buffalo always gets screwed.

I agree with this but I'm hoping we have another bottom 2 finish. This franchise and fan base need a guy like McDavid or Eichel in the worst possible way. I said it awhile back that the Islanders wouldn't give us that 2014 pick not being in the top 5 plus I'm thinking they will try to do something to get Sam Reinhart that way they have 2 of the 3 brothers on their team. I see the Islanders pick being 8-14 but more towards the teens. They have a lot of young talent and if Strome can be better which I'm sure he will this team could be in wildcard contention. It all depends how and when Tavares comes back and how good he will be plus the state of their defense and goaltending. I'm not that excited about the Islanders pick anymore as I think Garth Snow is going to do everything in his power to make sure we don't have a top 5 pick.

#23 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,298 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 01:00 AM

Having the Sabres fate lie with Garth Snow's ability to field a good team gets me all warm and fuzzy inside.

#24 SabresBillsFan

SabresBillsFan

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 01:03 AM

View Postinkman, on 23 May 2014 - 01:00 AM, said:

Having the Sabres fate lie with Garth Snow's ability to field a good team gets me all warm and fuzzy inside.

I hope I'm wrong but I think they will be better than most people expect.

#25 ubkev

ubkev

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 02:25 AM

View PostSabresBillsFan, on 23 May 2014 - 01:03 AM, said:

I hope I'm wrong but I think they will be better than most people expect.

Don't sweat it. Snow will trade Tavares and Okposo by November for 3/5th's of Chivas Regal and a 9th round pick in the 2017 draft(he hears that one is really deep).
Ink is right. There's just no way he doesn't f this up somehow in our favor.

#26 DeLuca1967

DeLuca1967

#39 - Greatest of All-Time.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,253 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 06:12 AM

Agree 100%.

The Sabres finished dead last by 15 points and still didn't come away with the #1 pick. Fans may be setting themselves up for some huge disappointment. The Sabres are going into the 2015 draft with three #1 picks, it's up to Tim Murray to maximize those assets which may include moving some of the picks.

#27 shrader

shrader

National Oranization of Men Against Amazonian Masterhood

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,332 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 07:02 AM

I like how many Americans I'm seeing at the top of that list.  It is early still, but this could be a big part of another surge for American hockey a few years down the line.

#28 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,629 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 07:35 AM

View PostIKnowPhysics, on 22 May 2014 - 04:57 PM, said:

This thread's gonna be so bonerific.

There's not much historical precedence for how bonerific this will be. The Blue Jackets just had three first round picks at 14th, 19th, and 27th overall, which netted them Alexander Wennberg ©, Kirby Reichel (LW), and Marko Dano (RW), respectively.  That's a full line of first rounders, probably some mixture of their top line three years from now.

But we're talking about a set of three draft picks that in good probability will end up looking like #2-5, #3-9, and #15-22.  And that will add to our #12 Grigorenko, #14 Girgensens, #8 Ritstolainen, #16 Zadorov, and our #2 ______ , not to mention our bounty of 2nd rounders.
That's 7 first round picks plus something like 10 total second round picks over those years (maybe off on the 2nds) which when you consider that something like 90% of all goals in the NHL are scored by 1st/2nd overall picks, quite encouraging.

View Postshrader, on 23 May 2014 - 07:02 AM, said:

I like how many Americans I'm seeing at the top of that list.  It is early still, but this could be a big part of another surge for American hockey a few years down the line.
I actually hope we draft a few more Americans, just because it'd be nice to have someone from the Sabres to cheer for on a US Olympic team.

#29 Crusader1969

Crusader1969

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 08:15 AM

399 day 10 hours and 45 minutes until the 2015 draft kicks off.

#30 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,071 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 08:21 AM

View PostCrusader1969, on 23 May 2014 - 08:15 AM, said:

399 day 10 hours and 45 minutes until the 2015 draft kicks off.

They should just move this draft to Buffalo already.

#31 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,692 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 10:24 AM

View PostLGR4GM, on 23 May 2014 - 07:35 AM, said:

That's 7 first round picks plus something like 10 total second round picks over those years (maybe off on the 2nds) which when you consider that something like 90% of all goals in the NHL are scored by 1st/2nd overallround picks, quite encouraging.

I fixed that for you...I think?

#32 Heimdall

Heimdall

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 10:33 AM

Here is to tavaras breaking his leg on first day at practice :clapping:

#33 WildCard

WildCard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 10:41 AM

View PostHeimdall, on 23 May 2014 - 10:33 AM, said:

Here is to tavaras breaking his leg on first day at practice :clapping:
Any chances Tanya Harding is a Sabres fan?

#34 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,629 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 10:49 AM

View PostIKnowPhysics, on 23 May 2014 - 10:24 AM, said:

I fixed that for you...I think?
yes you did, my bad.  1st and 2nd round picks score the majority of the NHL's goals.

#35 Naulter8

Naulter8

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 180 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 02:09 PM

I don't know where to start here.  I strongly disagree on so many levels except one,  the Islanders will stink next year,  that much is certain.  Halak helping them move up that much in the standings is absolutely ridiculous. We finished last with a goalie who won a vezina! The Islanders have Many needs to address to get out of the bottom 7, halak is a step in the right direction.  Mark my words: "NYI finishes in the bottom 10, I will guarantee that.  I won't be surprised if they finish 5-7". Let's not forget,  viznovsky is their top dman and they lost a 1st line winger.

As far as the Sabres go, I don't understand how not having Ott and miller will help us not finish last,  if anything it all but guaranteed we will.  A few teams Might try to intentionally tank,  but there is no way we don't finish last again!  If you disagree go look at our roster,  them look at everyone else's. It's pretty obvious we have a last place team(without selling anyone else,  which we very well might do).  So we have a 25% chance at McDavid(slightly higher depending on NYI)   and a 100% chance at Eichel. No team can move up more then 1 pick,  so if we lose the lottery we get 2nd, just like this year.

#36 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,629 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 02:13 PM

Well I firmly believe the Sabres will suck next year I will repeat for the 90th time the fact that I would not expect the NYI to be in the bottom five again. They will be an 11-15th team.

#37 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,071 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 02:16 PM

View PostNaulter8, on 23 May 2014 - 02:09 PM, said:

I don't know where to start here.  I strongly disagree on so many levels except one,  the Islanders will stink next year,  that much is certain.  Halak helping them move up that much in the standings is absolutely ridiculous. We finished last with a goalie who won a vezina! The Islanders have Many needs to address to get out of the bottom 7, halak is a step in the right direction.  Mark my words: "NYI finishes in the bottom 10, I will guarantee that.  I won't be surprised if they finish 5-7". Let's not forget,  viznovsky is their top dman and they lost a 1st line winger.

As far as the Sabres go, I don't understand how not having Ott and miller will help us not finish last,  if anything it all but guaranteed we will.  A few teams Might try to intentionally tank,  but there is no way we don't finish last again!  If you disagree go look at our roster,  them look at everyone else's. It's pretty obvious we have a last place team(without selling anyone else,  which we very well might do).  So we have a 25% chance at McDavid(slightly higher depending on NYI)   and a 100% chance at Eichel. No team can move up more then 1 pick,  so if we lose the lottery we get 2nd, just like this year.

We can have it all folks. Buffalo can be the most improved team in the league and still finish last.

#38 Naulter8

Naulter8

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 180 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 02:46 PM

View PostLGR4GM, on 23 May 2014 - 02:13 PM, said:

Well I firmly believe the Sabres will suck next year I will repeat for the 90th time the fact that I would not expect the NYI to be in the bottom five again. They will be an 11-15th team.

I don't think they will be a bottom 5. In my opinion, they could be 11-15th if,  and only if they acquire some free agents

#39 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,727 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 02:51 PM

View PostNaulter8, on 23 May 2014 - 02:09 PM, said:

The last time our goaltender won the Vezina we won our division. I don't see how you can use Miller's Vezina season in the context of this year and hope to prove a point.

#40 Tankalicious

Tankalicious

Sam Reinhart, please

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,733 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 03:10 PM

This year I wasn't actively rooting for the Sabres to lose, but I will be in this upcoming season. This draft means so much to this franchise.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 2015, McDavid, Eichel, Draft