#1 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,572 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:36 AM

John Vogl@BuffNewsVogl
Now official: The Sabres' prices for season tickets have increased 4 percent from 2013-14, which amounts to roughly $1 to $4 more per game , Sabres season-ticket holders, while paying 4 percent more, can get up to a 6.5 percent rebate via SabreBuck cards. Full story to come.

I don't have season tickets but do you guys feel pissed? because after that joke of a season I would and do.

Edited by LGR4GM, 07 May 2014 - 08:37 AM.

#2 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:38 AM

SABRES ANNOUNCE 2014-15 SEASON-TICKET PRICES

Accounts renewed by June 23 will include a 6.5% rebate; SabreBucks will be accepted at HARBORCENTER

The Buffalo Sabres today announced the prices for season-ticket packages for the 2014-15 season. The prices for season tickets have increased by four percent from 2013-14, which amounts to roughly $1 to $4 more per game, depending on seat location, but will remain among the most affordable in the NHL.

“We are grateful to our fans for their incredible loyalty and patience through a challenging season,” said Sabres president Ted Black. “It’s important to us to balance the affordability of our tickets against the opportunity to qualify for League revenue sharing.”

Accordingly, as an added benefit this year, Season Ticket Holders can earn up to a 6.5% rebate, which is added to their SabreBucks card, if their account is renewed by June 23. Season Ticket Holders will receive a 2.5% rebate on their SabreBucks card if the account is renewed after June 23.

The Plan:
Posted Image

Edited by 26CornerBlitz, 08 May 2014 - 01:19 AM.

#3 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,572 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:45 AM

Here's Teddy! Explaining season ticket price increase and SabreBucks Discount
http://video.sabres....=615032&lang=en

#4 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,718 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:45 AM

You can spend the SabreBucks at the HarborCenter too.

#5 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

Woah-Oh! We're half way there...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:57 AM

It's a wash. A way to continue to play their part in increasing HRR while not having an effect on our (season ticket holders') bottom line. Well played.

#6 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Texting Nun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,876 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:33 AM

View PostGlass Case Of Emotion, on 07 May 2014 - 08:57 AM, said:

It's a wash. A way to continue to play their part in increasing HRR while not having an effect on our (season ticket holders') bottom line. Well played.

What was the rebate last year?

#7 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:39 AM

More back-to-backs?  I guess it doesn't matter (maybe it helps?) when you're tanking.

#8 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:44 AM

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 07 May 2014 - 09:33 AM, said:

What was the rebate last year?

2.5%

#9 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Texting Nun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,876 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:57 AM

View PostGlass Case Of Emotion, on 07 May 2014 - 09:44 AM, said:

2.5%

That's cool then.

#10 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,260 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:33 AM

I'll ask my semi-annual question, for which no one will have an answer. Why does multi-billionaire owner Terry Pegula, who scoffed at the idea he would dirty himself with the idea of making money as owner of the Sabres, need to qualify for a welfare check from the league — a check that comes at an ever-increasing expense to the fans?

#11 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,718 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:42 AM

View PostPASabreFan, on 07 May 2014 - 10:33 AM, said:

I'll ask my semi-annual question, for which no one will have an answer. Why does multi-billionaire owner Terry Pegula, who scoffed at the idea he would dirty himself with the idea of making money as owner of the Sabres, need to qualify for a welfare check from the league — a check that comes at an ever-increasing expense to the fans?

Because he's not stupid.

#12 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:44 AM

Because the higher the HRR --> the higher the cap --> the more advantage his billions provide the team.

it's pretty simple.

Edited by Glass Case Of Emotion, 07 May 2014 - 10:44 AM.

#13 Claude_Verret

Claude_Verret

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,985 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:48 AM

View PostGlass Case Of Emotion, on 07 May 2014 - 10:44 AM, said:

it's pretty simple.

It's not simple when nearly everything the man says or does needs to fit a preconceived notion that he is a charlatan.

#14 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,260 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:51 AM

View PostGlass Case Of Emotion, on 07 May 2014 - 10:44 AM, said:

Because the higher the HRR --> the higher the cap --> the more advantage his billions provide the team.

it's pretty simple.

And what advantage have his billions provided to the team so far?

View PostSpndnchz, on 07 May 2014 - 10:42 AM, said:

Because he's not stupid.

That's not a good answer, and you know it. I'll meet you at the City Mission for lunch. I mean, it's free — why pay for food? Are we stupid or something?

View PostClaude_Verret, on 07 May 2014 - 10:48 AM, said:

It's not simple when nearly everything the man says or does needs to fit a preconceived notion that he is a charlatan.

Straw Man alert.

I feel like King Kong knocking down the little airplanes.

#15 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:55 AM

View PostPASabreFan, on 07 May 2014 - 10:51 AM, said:

Is your contention that an owner with additional capital is not an advantage to a professional sports team?

#16 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,572 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:56 AM

A top notch scouting department that since 2012 has found Zemgus Girgensons, Mikhail Grigorenko, Jake McCabe, Linus Ullmark, Rasmus Ristolainen, Nikita Zadorov, JT Compher, Nicolas Baptiste, and Gustav Possler

#17 Claude_Verret

Claude_Verret

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,985 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:58 AM

Straw Man alert.

Your posting history regarding our owner says otherwise.  If not, please direct me to all your posts where you don't outright accuse or insinuate that Pegula isn't what he seems.

#18 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,260 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:58 AM

View PostGlass Case Of Emotion, on 07 May 2014 - 10:55 AM, said:

Is your contention that an owner with additional capital is not an advantage to a professional sports team?

It can be, of course. It hasn't been so far. Whether it will be in the future will depend on whether Tim Murray was a good hire and whether Terry and his cronies stop meddling.

#19 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,385 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:59 AM

I don't see any problem with the price increase.

Now if I could talk my employer into an equivalent wage increase...

#20 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,260 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 11:02 AM

View PostLGR4GM, on 07 May 2014 - 10:56 AM, said:

A top notch scouting department that since 2012 has found Zemgus Girgensons, Mikhail Grigorenko, Jake McCabe, Linus Ullmark, Rasmus Ristolainen, Nikita Zadorov, JT Compher, Nicolas Baptiste, and Gustav Possler

Give me a break.

View PostClaude_Verret, on 07 May 2014 - 10:58 AM, said:

Your posting history regarding our owner says otherwise.  If not, please direct me to all your posts where you don't outright accuse or insinuate that Pegula isn't what he seems.

My beef with Pegula isn't that he's a charlatan who isn't what he seems. He's been a terrible owner, that's all.

#21 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Texting Nun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,876 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 11:03 AM

View PostLGR4GM, on 07 May 2014 - 10:56 AM, said:

I'm only 11 career NHL goals behind all of them combined......I'm F'n AWESOME!!!

#22 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 11:05 AM

@BuffaloSabres
Learn about 2014-15 season tickets: VP Tickets & Services John Sinclair http://goo.gl/VkIfII

#23 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,260 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 11:07 AM

View Postd4rksabre, on 07 May 2014 - 10:59 AM, said:

I don't see any problem with the price increase.

Now if I could talk my employer into an equivalent wage increase...

The problem with the increase is how they always frame it, as if they don't really want to do it, but the league makes them do it. I guess Blame Bettman is a pretty good strategy in Buffalo. The increase is also unnecessary and almost cruel after the season the Sabres had. It's just ###### in suits being ######. Terry came in saying he didn't want to raise ticket prices. The bean counters convinced him otherwise. And as a billionaire, it's easy for Terry to think like you do. What's the big deal? He's rich. What's your excuse?

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 07 May 2014 - 11:03 AM, said:

I'm only 11 career NHL goals behind all of them combined......I'm F'n AWESOME!!!

You can find the same list numerous times during Darcy's tenure, when all Darcy had was old film reels dropped out of bi-planes over the arena and given to robots to watch.

#24 PromoTheRobot

PromoTheRobot

Makin' it rain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 11:16 AM

View PostLGR4GM, on 07 May 2014 - 08:36 AM, said:

John Vogl@BuffNewsVogl
Now official: The Sabres' prices for season tickets have increased 4 percent from 2013-14, which amounts to roughly $1 to $4 more per game , Sabres season-ticket holders, while paying 4 percent more, can get up to a 6.5 percent rebate via SabreBuck cards. Full story to come.

I don't have season tickets but do you guys feel pissed? because after that joke of a season I would and do.

I did at first until I realized they are actually knocking 2.5% off the price with the Sabrebuck rebate.  Actually a pretty classy move.

#25 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 11:17 AM

View PostPASabreFan, on 07 May 2014 - 10:58 AM, said:

It can be, of course. It hasn't been so far. Whether it will be in the future will depend on whether Tim Murray was a good hire and whether Terry and his cronies stop meddling.

Then your response to my explanation of the price increase is not germane. His meddling and the GMs skill is irrelevant to this decision to maximize the leverage of his available capital.

#26 PromoTheRobot

PromoTheRobot

Makin' it rain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 11:17 AM

A reason for you to live?

#27 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,643 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 11:18 AM

That's not a good answer, and you know it. I'll meet you at the City Mission for lunch. I mean, it's free — why pay for food? Are we stupid or something?

Straw Man alert.

King Kong isn't exactly a success story ;)

#28 LTS

LTS

Who's next?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 11:35 AM

The team is still in Buffalo.  If you don't want to like him that's your prerogative but you can't sit there and claim that he has not done anything for the team.  It's a complete falsehood.

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 07 May 2014 - 11:03 AM, said:

But while their potential to score additional NHL goals remains, your potential goal total will remain 0. :)

#29 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,037 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 12:24 PM

View PostPASabreFan, on 07 May 2014 - 11:02 AM, said:

My beef with Pegula isn't that he's a charlatan who isn't what he seems. He's been a terrible owner, that's all.

Wait...the man that got rid of Darcy, Lindy and Ryan. This guy is doing everything you wanted as a phantom GM. :P

#30 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 12:40 PM

Cup holders on the pissers.

Which is funny to me.  But also half-serious.

We've improved a lot of game-night things.  More/better digital display rings around the arena.  More concession staff (read: more beer kiosks on the 300 level with shorter lines).  Then there's Harbor Center, which gives us more parking options, another bar to watch games downtown, a donut shop that I hope to god is open until bar time for drunken donut revelry.  Oh, and the hockey rinks, which bring their own enormous slew of benefits.  I think the television broadcast improved substantially (despite RJ calling fewer games for obvious, well thought-out reasons).  We have better alumni relations- he flew alumni from around the continent (world?) into Buffalo for alumni night.

These resources improve the franchise, and since his ownership began, the franchise has improved.  Just not the product on the ice.  I'm well aware of how important winning the Cup is, and like many, I'd throw all that other stuff down the toilet to win the Cup.  But the things accomplished off-ice so far are quite nice and only getting nicer.

And as LTS said, this franchise is much more financially stable than it was.  And the future of the Sabres is firmly cemented in the City of Buffalo.  Which is nice.  The Bills' uncertainty cats an enormous looming shadow on the franchise from a fan's perspective.

As a franchise, we are poised destine for greatness.  We just have so far to go on the ice, that's it's hard to see.

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 07 May 2014 - 11:18 AM, said:

King Kong isn't exactly a success story ;)

Nice.

#31 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,820 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 01:17 PM

View PostX. Benedict, on 07 May 2014 - 12:24 PM, said:

Wait...the man that got rid of Darcy, Lindy and Ryan. This guy is doing everything you wanted as a phantom GM. :P

I don't get the pissing and moaning over Pegula.  He has done everything that's been asked of him by the doom-and-gloom types.  On top of that, he's building in the community.  He's gone way beyond buying his wife's favorite hockey team.

I'm not happy about the ticket prices but I understand the reason why, and, as Jeremy White pointed out this morning, Pegula re-invests the revenue sharing money in Buffalo.

#32 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Texting Nun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,876 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 02:06 PM

View PostLTS, on 07 May 2014 - 11:35 AM, said:

But while their potential to score additional NHL goals remains, your potential goal total will remain 0. :)

I'm convinced I could improve the Rangers powerplay.....

#33 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,260 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 04:06 PM

View PostEleven, on 07 May 2014 - 01:17 PM, said:

I don't get the pissing and moaning over Pegula.  He has done everything that's been asked of him by the doom-and-gloom types.  On top of that, he's building in the community.  He's gone way beyond buying his wife's favorite hockey team.

I'm not happy about the ticket prices but I understand the reason why, and, as Jeremy White pointed out this morning, Pegula re-invests the revenue sharing money in Buffalo.

Doom and gloom types? Is it a type? Is there not a legitimate reason to be doomy and gloomy? It's just pessimistic people inventing reasons to be depressed about the Sabres?

I'm a little confused by the point about Pegula investing the revenue sharing money in Buffalo. Does he put the revenue sharing check aside and earmark it for Buffalo? Would that not defeat the purpose of getting the check in the first place — to improve a small market team's bottom line? Would he not have built the HarborCenter had he not been getting revenue sharing?

A lot of questions. Take your time.

#34 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,820 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 04:10 PM

View PostPASabreFan, on 07 May 2014 - 04:06 PM, said:

Doom and gloom types? Is it a type? Is there not a legitimate reason to be doomy and gloomy? It's just pessimistic people inventing reasons to be depressed about the Sabres?

I'm a little confused by the point about Pegula investing the revenue sharing money in Buffalo. Does he put the revenue sharing check aside and earmark it for Buffalo? Would that not defeat the purpose of getting the check in the first place — to improve a small market team's bottom line? Would he not have built the HarborCenter had he not been getting revenue sharing?

But only one of the questions needs to be answered, and the answer is yes.

Edited by Eleven, 07 May 2014 - 04:11 PM.

#35 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,260 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 04:16 PM

View PostLTS, on 07 May 2014 - 11:35 AM, said:

The team is still in Buffalo.  If you don't want to like him that's your prerogative but you can't sit there and claim that he has not done anything for the team.  It's a complete falsehood.

The question wasn't whether he has done "things" for the team. He has. The question is whether his ridiculous wealth and willingess to spend it has been an advantage. The team is no better off, actually inarguably worse, than it was under Old Sugar Packets. I'm not talking about the franchise, the business view of things. Things are rosy. Great. Hell, you can argue the Bills franchise is better off than it was during the Super Bowl years. So what?

View PostEleven, on 07 May 2014 - 04:10 PM, said:

But only one of the questions needs to be answered, and the answer is yes.

No actual reasons to be depressed?

#36 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 05:01 PM

I am not a season ticket holder and never have been, so maybe I should not get a say in this.

After the last few stinkfest seasons they have their nerve.

Also, this 6.5% rebate thingy is a scam.  It's designed for people to go to this HarborCenter (why can't you yanks spell like the rest of us ... :P  ... the spell check feature even has it as it's spelled wrong) and spend even more money.

They say you get what you pay for ... well, not always.

I also think it goes against the spirit of revenue sharing when billionaires get that $.  IMO, there should be no such thing as revenue sharing, unless the team is actually not owed by a 1%er.  Maybe community owned like the Packers (are they still community owned?).

#37 ubkev

ubkev

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:02 PM

View PostSabres Fan In NS, on 07 May 2014 - 05:01 PM, said:

Also, this 6.5% rebate thingy is a scam.  It's designed for people to go to this HarborCenter (why can't you yanks spell like the rest of us ... :P  ... the spell check feature even has it as it's spelled wrong)

Because it's Harbor and Center and anything else is an attempt to cheat at Scrabble!

#38 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

Actually Ville Leino

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,337 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:57 PM

View PostPASabreFan, on 07 May 2014 - 04:16 PM, said:

No actual reasons to be depressed?
I remember when I started reading the board I thought a lot of people would be happy when Darcy was finally shown the door.  Nope, not really.  Either all this little stuff in ownership bothers you or it doesn't.  You certainly have your moments when you dig in with your mind-claws and ask questions, but most of the time I just read it and say, "eh, I don't think the same way he does."

#39 Taro T

Taro T

It leads you here despite your destination under the MW tonight.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,805 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:00 PM

View PostPASabreFan, on 07 May 2014 - 04:06 PM, said:

Since he's come on, he's improved the building, added to the hockey department significantly, and (after giving them a chance to show HIM and his crew what they could do under his ownership) punted the guys you wanted punted.  How hasn't he invested in Buffalo?  (Not even going towards the HarborCenter and buying the Amerks & Jackals.)

I don't know if TM & TN are the right guys to get the job done - we'll know that in a few years, but they have enough of a pedigree and say the right things, so I'll give 'em the benefit of the doubt.  But even if they're wrong, who else & what else do you want to see for him to show he's 'investing the revenue sharing.'

#40 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,260 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:34 PM

View PostTaro T, on 07 May 2014 - 07:00 PM, said:

Since he's come on, he's improved the building, added to the hockey department significantly, and (after giving them a chance to show HIM and his crew what they could do under his ownership) punted the guys you wanted punted.  How hasn't he invested in Buffalo?  (Not even going towards the HarborCenter and buying the Amerks & Jackals.)

I don't know if TM & TN are the right guys to get the job done - we'll know that in a few years, but they have enough of a pedigree and say the right things, so I'll give 'em the benefit of the doubt.  But even if they're wrong, who else & what else do you want to see for him to show he's 'investing the revenue sharing.'

Of course he's invested money in the team and the HarborCenter. Why would I doubt that? My question was more literal. Something attributed to Jeremy White and agreed to by Eleven sounded like Pegula dedicates the revenue sharing money to investment, like there's a change jar he tosses 10 million dollars into to use for a specific purpose. I don't think that's the case, but maybe I missed something.

It's two things that don't follow. Pegula gets revenue sharing from the league. Pegula invests in the Sabres and the community. One has nothing to do with the other.

Again, I have no beef with his commitment. I think he made bad decisions at the start, spent foolishly at the wrong time, has questionable people advising him on hockey, and meddles. Different issues.

View Postqwksndmonster, on 07 May 2014 - 06:57 PM, said:

I remember when I started reading the board I thought a lot of people would be happy when Darcy was finally shown the door.  Nope, not really.  Either all this little stuff in ownership bothers you or it doesn't.  You certainly have your moments when you dig in with your mind-claws and ask questions, but most of the time I just read it and say, "eh, I don't think the same way he does."

I'm happy Darcy is gone. It doesn't mean I can't criticize the ticket price increases. I and others have said it before. There's just this ham-handed, tone-deaf (hi Aud) and near-arrogant way these guys handle issues of public relations. A one-year vacation from raising ticket prices wouldn't have killed them.