292 replies to this topic

#1 Tankalicious

Tankalicious

McDavid is to McDieFor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,267 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:17 PM

I know this isn't directly related to the NHL, but I think this situation impacts everybody.

Here is a copy of the tape:
http://deadspin.com/...tape-1568291249

NBA Commissioner Adam Silver just announced the Donald Sterling will be banned FOR LIFE. He is no longer allowed to associate with the team, league or attend any events.

Sterling still owns the Clippers, but this will likely force him to sell it.

Edited by Tankalicious, 29 April 2014 - 01:20 PM.

#2 Campy

Campy

Man created language to satisfy his deep need to complain

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:20 PM

View PostTankalicious, on 29 April 2014 - 01:17 PM, said:

I know this isn't directly related to the NHL, but I think this situation impacts everybody.

NBA Commissioner Adam Silver just announced the Donald Sterling will be banned FOR LIFE. He is no longer allowed to associate with the team, league or attend any events.

Probably the right call, but I'm still not sure I understand how/why such a blatantly racist person would even come to own an NBA team.

#3 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,558 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:21 PM

I think it's a good move, but how exactly do they plan on enforcing that ban.

How do they ban an owner?  Are they going to try to force him to sell?

And have these alleged disgusting utterances been proven to actually be made by him?

#4 Touched by Boyes

Touched by Boyes

Expert Lurker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:24 PM

View PostTankalicious, on 29 April 2014 - 01:17 PM, said:

Sterling still owns the Clippers, but this will likely force him to sell it.
This is about as close to forcing him to sell the team that the league can do. Glad they didn't wimp out.

The other point is even if they did nothing, the team going forward has probably lost all ability to recruit FA targets since not many players will want to come to play for Sterling. What if CP3 or Griffin demand a trade in the offseason cause they refuse to play for that franchise. The team is f'd as long as Sterling is there.

#5 shrader

shrader

National Oranization of Men Against Amazonian Masterhood

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,489 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:27 PM

Stop the presses!  There's an 80-something year old guy who is a racist!  Next ESPN will be telling me about the ever so rare tree that has pine cones.  The only good thing to come from this is that this punishment is going to cause a whole hell of a lot of legal trouble for the NBA.  I'm sure it's just a PR punishment and they've already got something worked out to expedite a sale of the team, but if by some chance they don't, this thing has ****storm written all over it.

Edited by shrader, 29 April 2014 - 01:27 PM.

#6 Tankalicious

Tankalicious

McDavid is to McDieFor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,267 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:30 PM

My guess on how this plays out:

The ban and fine is upheld. Sterling ends up being forced to sell, but sues the league under anti-trust laws for forcing him to sell below market value. The team is valued and then the NBA has to pay the difference of the value if it is sold below that.

#7 MattPie

MattPie

Bikes beat tanks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,904 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:32 PM

Another black eye for Buffalo, the once proud Buffalo Braves reduced to this.

#8 nobody

nobody

Title? Someday...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,156 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:33 PM

Banned from watching the Clippers play.  Is that a punishment or reward?

#9 Campy

Campy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:36 PM

View PostMattPie, on 29 April 2014 - 01:32 PM, said:

Another black eye for Buffalo, the once proud Buffalo Braves reduced to this.

:huh: I'm pretty sure you're the only person on the planet connecting those dots.

#10 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,274 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:39 PM

View PostCampy, on 29 April 2014 - 01:36 PM, said:

:huh: I'm pretty sure you're the only person on the planet connecting those dots.

I admit I thought it too. Especially with Jack Ramsay passing away.

#11 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,091 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:43 PM

View Postnobody, on 29 April 2014 - 01:33 PM, said:

Banned from watching the Clippers play.  Is that a punishment or reward?

I think he's banned from going to any team's games.

I am so glad to see quick, decisive action rather than a bunch of hemming and hawing.  This was the right move, as is the attempt to force the sale of the team.

#12 Campy

Campy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:44 PM

View PostX. Benedict, on 29 April 2014 - 01:39 PM, said:

I admit I thought it too. Especially with Jack Ramsay passing away.

Interesting.  The LA Clippers of 2014 are so far removed from the early 70s Braves I don't associate one with the other.  

Plus, basketball sucks. :w00t:

#13 ubkev

ubkev

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:46 PM

View PostCampy, on 29 April 2014 - 01:20 PM, said:

Probably the right call, but I'm still not sure I understand how/why such a blatantly racist person would even come to own an NBA team.

Why would a person own slaves? It's the same answer to both questions. They allow your business to make a lot of money.

I can't stand the NBA, I'm a college hoops guy, but I've been following this a little and I gotta give props to Silver for making this happen so quickly. It would be nice for the owners votes be made public.

This is probably worse than the Marge Schott thing back in the day.

#14 Potato

Potato

Take Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,530 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:48 PM

Sterling is, of course, married.  And, his wife is suing the girlfriend because Sterling has given her (the girlfriend) millions of dollars worth of lavish gifts.  All the while the girlfriend who is Latina / African American was secretly taping Sterling's racist rants.  This whole thing is a mess.

Edited by Potato, 29 April 2014 - 01:48 PM.

#15 shrader

shrader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,489 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:49 PM

View PostEleven, on 29 April 2014 - 01:43 PM, said:

I think he's banned from going to any team's games.

I am so glad to see quick, decisive action rather than a bunch of hemming and hawing.  This was the right move, as is the attempt to force the sale of the team.

How can you actually ban someone from walking into a building where he's the one paying the lease?  I would love nothing more than to see the NBA implode, so I hope he shows up for the next game.  This thing is nothing more than a paper transaction by the NBA meant to save face.

#16 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,274 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:51 PM

View PostCampy, on 29 April 2014 - 01:44 PM, said:

Interesting.  The LA Clippers of 2014 are so far removed from the early 70s Braves I don't associate one with the other.  

I never really forgave the NBA for pulling out of Buffalo......but there is still no way I could ever imagine cheering for the Clippers.

#17 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,091 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:57 PM

View Postshrader, on 29 April 2014 - 01:49 PM, said:

How can you actually ban someone from walking into a building where he's the one paying the lease?  I would love nothing more than to see the NBA implode, so I hope he shows up for the next game.  This thing is nothing more than a paper transaction by the NBA meant to save face.

Apparently, it's somewhere in the NBA constitution, by-laws, and/or agreements with its franchises.

This isn't new; the Cincinnati Reds did something similar with Marge Schott years ago.  And I believe that Steinbrenner was banned from the Yanks for a while, too, wasn't he?

#18 Campy

Campy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:00 PM

View Postubkev, on 29 April 2014 - 01:46 PM, said:

Why would a person own slaves? It's the same answer to both questions. They allow your business to make a lot of money.

I can't stand the NBA, I'm a college hoops guy, but I've been following this a little and I gotta give props to Silver for making this happen so quickly. It would be nice for the owners votes be made public.

This is probably worse than the Marge Schott thing back in the day.

I suppose you have a point, but I think there are some important distinctions to be drawn between slavery's institutionalized racism from the 17th, 18th, and 19th centuries, and owning a sports team in the 21st.  First and foremost:  A wealthy landowner needed slaves to keep his plantation competitive, a slumlord doesn't need to own an NBA team.

View PostX. Benedict, on 29 April 2014 - 01:51 PM, said:

I never really forgave the NBA for pulling out of Buffalo......but there is still no way I could ever imagine cheering for the Clippers.

I never forgave the NBA either.  And because of that, I pay so little attention to it that I didn't know Oklahoma City had a team until last year!

#19 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,274 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:05 PM

View PostCampy, on 29 April 2014 - 02:00 PM, said:

I suppose you have a point, but I think there are some important distinctions to be drawn between slavery's institutionalized racism from the 17th, 18th, and 19th centuries, and owning a sports team in the 21st.  First and foremost:  A wealthy landowner needed slaves to keep his plantation competitive, a slumlord doesn't need to own an NBA team.

I never forgave the NBA either.  And because of that, I pay so little attention to it that I didn't know Oklahoma City had a team until last year!

I honestly couldn't name 10 players in the league today.
The one I can name I know personally. :lol:

#20 ubkev

ubkev

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:06 PM

View PostCampy, on 29 April 2014 - 02:00 PM, said:

You're right that he doesn't need to own an NBA team; however as a slumlord, he is a property investor. And as an investor he bought something that cost him 12.5 million dollars and is now worth 575 million dollars. I think that's a solid ROI.

Anyway, the man is scum. Good on the league.

#21 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

That Nostalgic Olfactory Blend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,649 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:08 PM

View Postshrader, on 29 April 2014 - 01:49 PM, said:

This thing is nothing more than a paper transaction by the NBA meant to save face.

not so. king at his press conference said (1) sterling is banned for life (FOR LIFE! (watch the presser for the joke effect)) and (2) he expects full support from the other owners to compel sale of the franchise.

the take on this that must be heard is here, starting at 3:45.

Edited by That Aud Smell, 29 April 2014 - 02:10 PM.

#22 shrader

shrader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,489 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:23 PM

View PostEleven, on 29 April 2014 - 01:57 PM, said:

Apparently, it's somewhere in the NBA constitution, by-laws, and/or agreements with its franchises.

This isn't new; the Cincinnati Reds did something similar with Marge Schott years ago.  And I believe that Steinbrenner was banned from the Yanks for a while, too, wasn't he?

And now he's got a plaque outside the stadium, so there's still hope for Sterling.  They better use the whitest metal they can find though.

Ultimately, I still have no idea what a ban like this truly means.  He somehow can't "manage" the team yet he can still sit back and watch his wealth increase.  He still holds all the cards.  I hope he fights the push to sell because the NBA will look even worse and I'm all for that.

#23 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,091 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:35 PM

View Postshrader, on 29 April 2014 - 02:23 PM, said:

And now he's got a plaque outside the stadium, so there's still hope for Sterling.  They better use the whitest metal they can find though.

Ultimately, I still have no idea what a ban like this truly means.  He somehow can't "manage" the team yet he can still sit back and watch his wealth increase.  He still holds all the cards.  I hope he fights the push to sell because the NBA will look even worse and I'm all for that.

I'm sure they will find the finest alabaster.

Why do you want the NBA to look worse?  I'm not a fan, but I don't really care what the league looks like in the public eye, either.

Edited by Eleven, 29 April 2014 - 02:36 PM.

#24 shrader

shrader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,489 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:45 PM

View PostEleven, on 29 April 2014 - 02:35 PM, said:

I'm sure they will find the finest alabaster.

Why do you want the NBA to look worse?  I'm not a fan, but I don't really care what the league looks like in the public eye, either.

I'm just not a basketball guy, so from my point of view, its something that takes time away from hockey.  And actually, the more I think about it, it's not really the league that looks bad right now, but just about anything that is remotely close to this story.  The whole story comes off as "racism is bad.... now look the other way while we use that racism to line our pockets".  It seems pretty clear now that people have been well aware of this guy for a long time, but not much ever happened because hey, he's giving us money.

And now that shining beacon of journalistic integrity known as TMZ is the one that finally takes this guy down. :wallbash:

#25 Tankalicious

Tankalicious

McDavid is to McDieFor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,267 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:52 PM

So many people online bashing the NBA for infringing on free speech... How long will it take people to realize that free speech only protects you from the government?

#26 Campy

Campy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:58 PM

View PostTankalicious, on 29 April 2014 - 02:52 PM, said:

So many people online bashing the NBA for infringing on free speech... How long will it take people to realize that free speech only protects you from the government?

The 1st was just ratified 225 years ago.  Give it time.

#27 MattPie

MattPie

Bikes beat tanks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,904 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 03:01 PM

I thought about writing something to that effect early on in this thread, but decided it might take it in ugly directions. Suffice to say, you're correct, and the NBA and owners have voted to exercise their free-speech by saying "I want no part of this guy's nonsense".

#28 Tankalicious

Tankalicious

McDavid is to McDieFor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,267 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 03:09 PM

View PostCampy, on 29 April 2014 - 02:58 PM, said:

The 1st was just ratified 225 years ago.  Give it time.

I have trouble with patience. :cry:

#29 shrader

shrader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,489 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 03:10 PM

View PostMattPie, on 29 April 2014 - 03:01 PM, said:

I thought about writing something to that effect early on in this thread, but decided it might take it in ugly directions. Suffice to say, you're correct, and the NBA and owners have voted to exercise their free-speech by saying "I want no part of this guy's nonsense".

I do wonder how many of these people whining about free speech are the same ones who cry about censorship when they get a message board post deleted.  All of them I suppose.  Those are always my favorite internet people.

Edited by shrader, 29 April 2014 - 03:12 PM.

#30 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,091 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 03:11 PM

View Postshrader, on 29 April 2014 - 02:45 PM, said:

I'm just not a basketball guy, so from my point of view, its something that takes time away from hockey.  And actually, the more I think about it, it's not really the league that looks bad right now, but just about anything that is remotely close to this story.  The whole story comes off as "racism is bad.... now look the other way while we use that racism to line our pockets".  It seems pretty clear now that people have been well aware of this guy for a long time, but not much ever happened because hey, he's giving us money.

And now that shining beacon of journalistic integrity known as TMZ is the one that finally takes this guy down. :wallbash:

TMZ is disgusting.  I wish the government could shut it down.  But...

Right.

View Postshrader, on 29 April 2014 - 03:10 PM, said:

I do wonder how many of these people whining about free speech are the same ones who cry about censorship when they get a message board post deleted.

Now that is funny.

#31 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,754 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 03:12 PM

View PostCampy, on 29 April 2014 - 01:44 PM, said:

I now live in LA and hadn't previously associated with an NBA franchise.  I thought about being a Clippers fan, but I didn't, because:
1) You're right.  I don't associate Braves and Clippers as a franchise.  It's not strong enough to be like "Go Buffalo" at Clippers games.
2) I don't really watch the NBA anyways.
3) I don't know ###### about the Clippers and I didn't want to bandwagon on their recent better-than-Lakers performance.

#32 shrader

shrader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,489 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 03:20 PM

The other one I've heard a lot of randomly is that he's a racist and he likes having a team full of black employees.  That one is just plain hilarious.  "I want to live out the fantasy of being a slave owner so I will pay multi-million dollars to five people so they can play a game every single day".  It doesn't get any more racist than that!  The man is pure evil!

#33 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,754 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 03:31 PM

View PostCampy, on 29 April 2014 - 01:20 PM, said:

Dolla dolla bill y'all.

Sterling bought the Clippers for $12 million in 1981, and the team is now worth $575 million, according to Forbes magazine.

View PostPotato, on 29 April 2014 - 01:48 PM, said:

Sterling is, of course, married.  And, his wife is suing the girlfriend because Sterling has given her (the girlfriend) millions of dollars worth of lavish gifts.  All the while the girlfriend who is Latina / African American was secretly taping Sterling's racist rants.  This whole thing is a mess.

Welcome to Los Angeles.  Or, with enough money and power, anywhere else for that matter.  If you like that story, go back and read about Frank McCourt.

edit: Also, Pegula should buy the team and move it back to Buffalo. #streetjustice

Edited by IKnowPhysics, 29 April 2014 - 03:32 PM.

#34 ubkev

ubkev

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 03:33 PM

Let me get this straight. 80 year old billionaire has an old ass wife and a young hot mixed race mistress. Old ass wife hates that young hot mistress is getting all these expensive cars And gifts from her husband. Old ass wife sues young hot mistress for 1.2 million dollars. Young hot mistress doesn't,have 1.2 million dollars....but she knows a guy who does. Records a rant of her 80 year old billionaire boyfriend telling her she can sleep with Magic Johnson, just don't hang out with him, and here we are.

Its all Sterling's wife's fault.

#35 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,754 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 03:36 PM

View Postubkev, on 29 April 2014 - 03:33 PM, said:

It couldn't possibly be the fault of the old racist guy ###### the mistress and giving her money instead of boning his old lady and saving millions, embarassment, and now maybe hundreds of millions.

#36 Josie914

Josie914

Will stroke your beard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 03:44 PM

View Postubkev, on 29 April 2014 - 03:33 PM, said:

Let me get this straight. 80 year old billionaire has an old ass wife and a young hot mixed race mistress. Old ass wife hates that young hot mistress is getting all these expensive cars And gifts from her husband. Old ass wife sues young hot mistress for 1.2 million dollars. Young hot mistress doesn't,have 1.2 million dollars....but she knows a guy who does. Records a rant of her 80 year old billionaire boyfriend telling her she can sleep with Magic Johnson, just don't hang out with him, and here we are.

Please tell me that's sarcasm.

I don't know a damn thing about his wife, or why she's stood by this dude for years through all his nefarious schemes, be it money or for the kids or who cares what else, that's her business, and perhaps all 3 should be shot to the moon for being poor representatives of the human race, but wow.
He's a womanizing, racist, slumlording piece of human filth, but yeah, let's blame it on the wife.

#37 ubkev

ubkev

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 03:56 PM

View PostIKnowPhysics, on 29 April 2014 - 03:36 PM, said:

It couldn't possibly be the fault of the old racist guy ###### the mistress and giving her money instead of boning his old lady and saving millions, embarassment, and now maybe hundreds of millions.

Oh please, the league, the other owners and the world have know he was a bigot for years. He's had several racial discrimination lawsuits and the league and anyone who cared to has known about it for years. They (the NBA) only care about it when it's going to cost them sponsorship revenue.

My last post was pure tongue in cheek by the way.

View PostJosie914, on 29 April 2014 - 03:44 PM, said:

Please tell me that's sarcasm.

I don't know a damn thing about his wife, or why she's stood by this dude for years through all his nefarious schemes, be it money or for the kids or who cares what else, that's her business, and perhaps all 3 should be shot to the moon for being poor representatives of the human race, but wow.
He's a womanizing, racist, slumlording piece of human filth, but yeah, let's blame it on the wife.

100% sarcasm. I will denote this from now on, as it's difficult to detect on a message board.

Edited by ubkev, 29 April 2014 - 03:50 PM.

#38 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,754 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 03:58 PM

View Postubkev, on 29 April 2014 - 03:56 PM, said:

Oh please, the league, the other owners and the world have know he was a bigot for years. He's had several racial discrimination lawsuits and the league and anyone who cared to has known about it for years. They (the NBA) only care about it when it's going to cost them sponsorship revenue.

My last post was pure tongue in cheek by the way.

100% sarcasm. I will denote this from now on, as it's difficult to detect on a message board.

No worries.  I'm starting to read about him (see above where I don't know ###### about the Clippers).

#39 Josie914

Josie914

Will stroke your beard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 03:58 PM

View Postubkev, on 29 April 2014 - 03:56 PM, said:

Ok. Thank god. I was seeing red there for a minute. :blush:

Believe me, I've seen a lot of utter bullcrap popping up around the interwebs today on this subject- I need to step away from the social media and cool down.

Carry on, gentlemen.

#40 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,754 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:07 PM

View PostThat Aud Smell, on 29 April 2014 - 02:08 PM, said:

Holy ######, that's right on.  Like he finishes up with, it's not that he saw it coming nine years ago, he saw it happen, wrote about it, and nobody did ######.

Edited by IKnowPhysics, 29 April 2014 - 04:07 PM.