232 replies to this topic

#1 bob_sauve28

bob_sauve28

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,731 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 10:46 PM

What would you do?? No way would I as a general manager give up a top pick. I think the Sabres will only get one top pick this year and Islanders will do all they can to improve so our pick is really high. How embarrassing to an organization giving up such a high pick

#2 pastajoe

pastajoe

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 242 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 11:01 PM

I would keep this year's pick. I think they will be much better next year with Tavares back. And if Snow survives this year he knows next year will be his last chance.

#3 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,877 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 11:24 PM

View Postpastajoe, on 13 April 2014 - 11:01 PM, said:

I would keep this year's pick. I think they will be much better next year with Tavares back. And if Snow survives this year he knows next year will be his last chance.

Agreed. You cannot as an organization give up the pick this year and say "well we're going to be awful next year so that pick is going to be even better just wait!"

We'll be getting next year's pick. I have no doubt.

#4 skaught

skaught

Rolston Centipede

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 11:27 PM

View Postd4rksabre, on 13 April 2014 - 11:24 PM, said:

Agreed. You cannot as an organization give up the pick this year and say "well we're going to be awful next year so that pick is going to be even better just wait!"

We'll be getting next year's pick. I have no doubt.

Hopefully we pick 1 and 2 next year. :w00t:

#5 Tankalicious

Tankalicious

McDavid is to McDieFor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,320 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 11:30 PM

This is being discussed and has been discussed heavily elsewhere... Such as: http://forums.sabres...870#entry574870

#6 sabre snipe

sabre snipe

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 11:31 PM

Not to mention that there was this provision in this trade for a reason...why add the option to the trade if you don't intend to use it

#7 WildCard

WildCard

I haven't slept for 10 days, because that would be too much.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 11:41 PM

View PostTankalicious, on 13 April 2014 - 11:30 PM, said:

This is being discussed and has been discussed heavily elsewhere... Such as: http://forums.sabres...870#entry574870
New threads have been flying around here lately, hardly know where to go to continue a discussion from the previous day anymore

#8 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,621 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 11:55 PM

While I agree giving up a top 5 pick is unthinkable, it's not worse than being the GM who traded away the McDavid pick.  It may not be likely but even the remote possibility would scare the bejesus out of me.

#9 Derrico

Derrico

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:12 AM

Hockey fans are knowledgable people.  I'm sure many diehard isles fans (isn't that all they have left) realize the situation.   Many have heard about next years draft and I'm sure their talk radio shows have discussed this situation.  I doubt many would think that by giving up the pick this year is management saying they will be much worse next year.  With the state of the isles as a middling team most must know tht if they miss the playoffs you have a shot to win the lottery.  Plus with the rumours of possibly changing the system next year I would not want to give up my lottery ball for a generational talent, especially if their pick ends up being 6th.

#10 bob_sauve28

bob_sauve28

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,731 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:34 AM

View Postskaught, on 13 April 2014 - 11:27 PM, said:

Hopefully we pick 1 and 2 next year. :w00t:
But I would not complain about picking 1 and 3 this year though!

#11 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,897 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:37 AM

If I were Snow, I would defer and draft Dal Colle at #5.  He is the perfect LW for your team and with Strome, Reinhart, and Pokka all most likely being on team next year, the NYI will finish 8-14.  They should have better GT next year as well and I just don't see them drafting as low next year.

View Postbob_sauve28, on 14 April 2014 - 07:34 AM, said:

But I would not complain about picking 1 and 3 this year though!
... 1 and 5?

#12 dudacek

dudacek

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,392 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:52 AM

View PostLGR4GM, on 14 April 2014 - 07:37 AM, said:

If I were Snow, I would defer and draft Dal Colle at #5.  He is the perfect LW for your team and with Strome, Reinhart, and Pokka all most likely being on team next year, the NYI will finish 8-14.  They should have better GT next year as well and I just don't see them drafting as low next year.

... 1 and 5?
What 10 teams do you think the Islanders should finish ahead of next year?

#13 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,897 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:56 AM

View Postdudacek, on 14 April 2014 - 07:52 AM, said:

What 10 teams do you think the Islanders should finish ahead of next year?
Buffalo, Calgary, Edmonton, Florida, Vancouver, Carolina, Washington, New Jersey, Detroit and Toronto.

#14 carpandean

carpandean

If it ain't worth making a chart, it ain't worth saying.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,729 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:58 AM

Sabres/Islanders, probability
1st/5th, 25.38%
2nd/1st, 8.22%
2nd/5th, 44.37%
2nd/6th, 22.03%

I would bet that the Islanders would give us the 6th pick, but would not give us the 1st pick.  Not sure what happens if they pick 5th.  Top 5 are supposed to be a step above.

Edited by carpandean, 14 April 2014 - 08:00 AM.

#15 ThirtyEight

ThirtyEight

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,739 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:07 AM

View PostLGR4GM, on 14 April 2014 - 07:56 AM, said:

Buffalo, Calgary, Edmonton, Florida, Vancouver, Carolina, Washington, New Jersey, Detroit and Toronto.

Buffalo - Yes
Calgary - Probably
Edmonton - I think they dig themselves out this off season. They have to.
Florida - Probably
Vancouver - Maybe, it depends what they do this offseason. Their goalies could also carry them
Carolina - No. They played a large chunk of this season without Ward and with a bad E Staal.
Washington - No. They aren't good but they are always a bubble team at the least.
NJ - Maybe. They also made the playoffs this season but Jagr probably won't be back
Detroit - No way. They made the playoffs without their top three centres (basically). Injury bitten to the nth degree
Toronto - No. They are a bubble team

Islanders were awful with Moulson/Vanek and Tavares and got worse when both dropped out. Okoposo had a fantastic season. There are 3/4 goalies on FA, who would pick to go to the Islanders over say Anaheim or the Blues or even Washington

#16 shrader

shrader

National Oranization of Men Against Amazonian Masterhood

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,515 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:33 AM

View Postsabre snipe, on 13 April 2014 - 11:31 PM, said:

Not to mention that there was this provision in this trade for a reason...why add the option to the trade if you don't intend to use it

They negotiated for this clause just in case they won the lottery.  They thought they were a playoff team, but figured that if they just missed out and then their 2% lottery ticket (random percentage I made up) hit the jackpot, they wouldn't have to give away the #1 overall pick.  It didn't play out that way, but instead what they've backed themselves into is much bigger head scratching situation.  There is a good argument to be had for either decision.

#17 Derrico

Derrico

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:10 AM

1st the Isles keep the pick
5th the Isles keep the pick
6th the pick goes to the Sabres

The top 5 seems concensus, who would we go after with the 6th overall?  I was really hoping the Sabres could have pulled off the win last night to not have a chance of falling into this predicament.

#18 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,897 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:32 AM

View PostDerrico, on 14 April 2014 - 09:10 AM, said:

1st the Isles keep the pick
5th the Isles keep the pick
6th the pick goes to the Sabres

The top 5 seems concensus, who would we go after with the 6th overall?  I was really hoping the Sabres could have pulled off the win last night to not have a chance of falling into this predicament.
Jake Virtanen

or Nylander

#19 Claude_Verret

Claude_Verret

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,131 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:34 AM

I'm not sure what they'll do, but if they defer until next year and that pick manages to land us McDavid then while Isles fans are preparing to lynch Snow I'll be the first to absolve DR of all his past sins and help with building the statue in his honor.

#20 Potato

Potato

Take Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,535 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:42 AM

I don't see how any GM could give up a top-5 pick under these circumstances. Doing so would be telling the fans that you expect to be just as bad or worse the following year.

Plus the probability of any team, regardless of record, landing McDavid is at best 25% (assuming no team has multiple lottery picks).  I think the Isles use the pick this year on Dal Colle or one of the top European prospects.

#21 Tankalicious

Tankalicious

McDavid is to McDieFor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,320 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:44 AM

View PostLGR4GM, on 14 April 2014 - 07:56 AM, said:

Florida will be much better. They'll improve this offseason. Vancouver is TBD as they could easily be a playoff team again. Washington and NJ fall in that same boat. Better than Detroit? Laughable.

#22 shrader

shrader

National Oranization of Men Against Amazonian Masterhood

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,515 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:18 AM

View PostPotato, on 14 April 2014 - 09:42 AM, said:

I don't see how any GM could give up a top-5 pick under these circumstances. Doing so would be telling the fans that you expect to be just as bad or worse the following year.

What fans?  I realize they're not exactly moving across the country, but there are going to be a completely different group of fans in their buildings in 2014-15 and 2015-16.

#23 pastajoe

pastajoe

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 242 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:19 AM

Who thought Colorado would go from the bottom to winning their division? It can happen.

#24 Tankalicious

Tankalicious

McDavid is to McDieFor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,320 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:38 AM

View Postpastajoe, on 14 April 2014 - 10:19 AM, said:

Who thought Colorado would go from the bottom to winning their division? It can happen.

Sure. But the Isles only have Tavares, and they don't have a goalie capable of making a Vezina-type run.
Colorado had Duchene, Landeskog, O'Reilly, Stastny and added MacKinnon while Varlamov broke out.

#25 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,897 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:42 AM

View PostTankalicious, on 14 April 2014 - 10:38 AM, said:

Sure. But the Isles only have Tavares, and they don't have a goalie capable of making a Vezina-type run.
Colorado had Duchene, Landeskog, O'Reilly, Stastny and added MacKinnon while Varlamov broke out.
The Isles have Strome, Reinhart, Okposo, and probably Ville Pokka next year as well. They won't be Colorado but again I still think 8-14 for them.

#26 Tankalicious

Tankalicious

McDavid is to McDieFor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,320 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:44 AM

View PostLGR4GM, on 14 April 2014 - 10:42 AM, said:

The Isles have Strome, Reinhart, Okposo, and probably Ville Pokka next year as well. They won't be Colorado but again I still think 8-14 for them.

Would still take 8-10 next year over 5/6 this year.

#27 WildCard

WildCard

I haven't slept for 10 days, because that would be too much.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:48 AM

View PostTankalicious, on 14 April 2014 - 10:44 AM, said:

Would still take 8-10 next year over 5/6 this year.
I keep hearing this, out of curiosity do you or anyone know of the names that are projected at that range in the 2015 draft?

#28 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,897 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:52 AM

View PostWildCard, on 14 April 2014 - 10:48 AM, said:

I keep hearing this, out of curiosity do you or anyone know of the names that are projected at that range in the 2015 draft?
Well roughly something like:
Colin White, Dylan Strome, Travis Konecny hard to say this early on. Should have a better picture in November and December.

#29 Tankalicious

Tankalicious

McDavid is to McDieFor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,320 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:03 AM

View PostWildCard, on 14 April 2014 - 10:48 AM, said:

2015 features McDavid, Eichel, Pavel Zacha, Noah Hanifin, Matthew Barzal, Colin White, Oliver Kylington, Dylan Strome (Ryan's better brother), Travis Konecny and Dylan Sprong. I think all of those players would be selected ahead of whoever is taken at 5/6 this year barring a rough season or injury next year. There's ten names there so you're bound to get one if the Isles give us their 8-10 pick.

Also, if you're at 8-10 you could use some of the ammo built up to move to 4-7 and get an even better prospect. Any of McDavid, Eichel, Hanifin, Barzal or Zacha would likely be the first pick this year. Zacha is a winger so that would be the only knock there.

Edited by Tankalicious, 14 April 2014 - 11:04 AM.

#30 apuszczalowski

apuszczalowski

Commander of the Armies of the North

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,758 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:19 AM

Well, If Garth Snow is the GM next season, the Islanders would be smart to give up this years pick, if they smarten up and dump Snow ASAP, then defering the pick to next year is smart cause that team with a couple of tweaks is atleast a bubble playoff team. With a good GM, and getting a solid player in possibly the top 5 this year to go with a returning Tavares, then making an upgrade in net they are a good team. I doubt that happens with Snow in charge so giving up this years high pick will save him from giving up one of the top picks next year. (Although with Snow/Islanders luck, they probably give up this years pick and end up making the playoffs (getting swept in the first round) and see Tavares leave them

#31 nfreeman

nfreeman

All I want is everything you got.

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,902 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:37 PM

View Postd4rksabre, on 13 April 2014 - 11:24 PM, said:

Agreed. You cannot as an organization give up the pick this year and say "well we're going to be awful next year so that pick is going to be even better just wait!" We'll be getting next year's pick. I have no doubt.

I'm not as confident as you are but I think you're right.

Separately, here's another item for the very thick "missed opportunities for the Sabres" file:  If the Sabres had beaten the Islanders yesterday in regulation, the Islanders would've been in the #4 slot -- either making them more likely to keep the pick, or giving the Sabres a good shot at drafting #1 and #4 instead of #1 and #5.

It's hard to blame Darcy for that one but I will anyway.

Also:  Another item to consider in evaluating how bad the Islanders are going to be next year is that it is going to be their last year on LI.  The building is going to be empty, apathetic and frequently hostile.  It's going to be hard not to internalize that negative energy.

I'd be pretty surprised if the Islanders weren't bottom 5 next year.

#32 Tankalicious

Tankalicious

McDavid is to McDieFor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,320 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:39 PM

Garth Snow just announced that Jack Capuano will be back as coach. If Snow is announcing it that means Snow will likely be back, as well. Doesn't look like a whole lot of change will be coming in that department. Desperation time for Snow.

#33 apuszczalowski

apuszczalowski

Commander of the Armies of the North

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,758 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:43 PM

View PostTankalicious, on 14 April 2014 - 12:39 PM, said:

Garth Snow just announced that Jack Capuano will be back as coach. If Snow is announcing it that means Snow will likely be back, as well. Doesn't look like a whole lot of change will be coming in that department. Desperation time for Snow.
I think this is really going to depend on the ownership issue.
I don't think Wang is going to make any big moves, like firing the coach and GM until they are sold to a new owner.
If a new owner is buying Wangs majority share soon, he may feel that they should stay until the new majority owner has a chance to make the move for themselves.

For all we know a move could happen soon and Snow is gone before the draft.

#34 nucci

nucci

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:43 PM

View Postnfreeman, on 14 April 2014 - 12:37 PM, said:

I'm not as confident as you are but I think you're right.

Separately, here's another item for the very thick "missed opportunities for the Sabres" file:  If the Sabres had beaten the Islanders yesterday in regulation, the Islanders would've been in the #4 slot -- either making them more likely to keep the pick, or giving the Sabres a good shot at drafting #1 and #4 instead of #1 and #5.

It's hard to blame Darcy for that one but I will anyway.

Also:  Another item to consider in evaluating how bad the Islanders are going to be next year is that it is going to be their last year on LI.  The building is going to be empty, apathetic and frequently hostile.  It's going to be hard not to internalize that negative energy.

I'd be pretty surprised if the Islanders weren't bottom 5 next year.
Hasn't it been this way for a few years now?

#35 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 01:04 PM

This is good news for the Sabres.  Come on Snow......use the 2014 pick.

@StapeNewsday
Garth Snow tells Newsday that Jack Capuano "will be back next season." Story to come. #Isles

#36 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,762 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 01:36 PM

View Post26CornerBlitz, on 14 April 2014 - 01:04 PM, said:

This is good news for the Sabres.  Come on Snow......use the 2014 pick.

@StapeNewsday
Garth Snow tells Newsday that Jack Capuano "will be back next season." Story to come. #Isles

Yeah, if that front office doesn't change, I think I lean towards wanting that 2015 pick.  Let's maximize 2015.

#37 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,288 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 01:44 PM

If I'm Garth Snow and a #6-14 team wins the lottery,  in which case the Islanders drop to #6,  I would  give the pick to Buffalo.
This would leave Buffalo with #2 and #6.

Otherwise I'm keeping the pick at #5.

Edited by X. Benedict, 14 April 2014 - 01:45 PM.

#38 Peppy22

Peppy22

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 01:51 PM

I hope they give us their pick this year...

Let's add Bennett and Dal Colle or Draisaitl

We will still be bad and will still have a shot at McDavid.

Draft McDavid in 2015 and sign UFA Patrick Kane...

Hello Stanley Cup 2016 :D :D

#39 Tankalicious

Tankalicious

McDavid is to McDieFor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,320 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 01:53 PM

If I were the decision-maker for the Isles then I would market the pick to see what kind of player I could get out of this pick. If I can't get a good trade for it, then I'm giving it to Buffalo.

#40 Derrico

Derrico

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:28 PM

View PostPotato, on 14 April 2014 - 09:42 AM, said:

Plus the probability of any team, regardless of record, landing McDavid is at best 25% (assuming no team has multiple lottery picks).  I think the Isles use the pick this year on Dal Colle or one of the top European prospects.

That's what the Sabres have been telling us for two years now.  What was the phrase, something about patience?

View Postapuszczalowski, on 14 April 2014 - 12:43 PM, said:

I think this is really going to depend on the ownership issue.
I don't think Wang is going to make any big moves, like firing the coach and GM until they are sold to a new owner.
If a new owner is buying Wangs majority share soon, he may feel that they should stay until the new majority owner has a chance to make the move for themselves.

For all we know a move could happen soon and Snow is gone before the draft.

Let's hope that is the plan and they make a decision in July.  Talk about a major distraction when they are trying to sign this 'great goaltender'.  (The great goaltender part is not directed at you).