88 replies to this topic

#1 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:55 PM

The brackets for the NCAA Division I Men's Hockey Championship are set!

Posted Image

The final rankings were:

Posted Image

The printable bracket is here: http://i.turner.ncaa...men_d1_2013.pdf
A loose breakdown is here (w/ vid): http://espn.go.com/c...-college-hockey

Lots of great first round matchups and lots of great college hockey on ESPN networks.

Minnesota, who is ranked 1 going into the national tournament bracket, lost to Ohio State in the Big Ten tournament, allowing Union to finish #1 in the polls.

Also, some all-important women's college hockey news:

After going 38-2-1 and winning the last two national titles, the Minnesota women's team was STUNNED in the NCAA Championship FInal by Clarkson: http://www.startribu.../251795151.html

...Clarkson broke a third-period tie with two goals, including a spectacular breakaway by Shannon MacAulay, and held on for a 5-4 triumph

Edited by IKnowPhysics, 25 March 2014 - 01:09 PM.

#2 dEnnis the Menace

dEnnis the Menace

D63

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,267 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:58 PM

should be an interesting tourney.  thanks for this!

#3 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,931 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:32 PM

How much better would Vermont be if Girgs didn't choose to go pro?

#4 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:37 PM

Denver @ BC and ND @ Wisconsin are going to be absolutely dynamite games.

Denver, after sneaking into the tournament by winning the NCHC Tournament but only posting a 10-11-3 conference record, might get rocked playing BC's high-power offense on almost home ice in Worcester, but Denver's a proud organization with a lot of history and may not fall easily.

North Dakota and Wisconsin are old WCHA rivals that haven't seen each other yet this year.  Wisconsin, like Minnesota, is rocking the first season of Big Ten Hockey, as North Dakota reigns over the NCHC with St Cloud.

View Postweave, on 25 March 2014 - 01:32 PM, said:

How much better would Vermont be if Girgs didn't choose to go pro?

I was pondering that myself.  A: Maybe quite a bit.  High draft picks like him, even as freshmen, can be game-breakers on college ice.  Dany Heatley (3rd overall) posted 113 points in 77 games over two seasons for Wisconsin.  They went from from 4th in the conference (13-12-3) before he arrived to Conference champions (25-3-0) his freshman year.

Edited by IKnowPhysics, 25 March 2014 - 01:38 PM.

#5 Buffalo Wings

Buffalo Wings

Not a Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:49 AM

I'm a Union season ticket holder...we're all thrilled at the #1 ranking, but we also know it means nothing. The results on the ice are the only ones that matter.

Dave Starman picked us to win the thing, playing Wisconsin in the final. I like Dave, but I don't know if that's a jinx...at least it wasn't Barry Melrose (who watches college hockey twice a year, if that).

I think BC is the team to watch for, as long as they don't have to play Notre Dame.  :P

#6 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:50 AM

Jake McCabe-Brad Navin and Wisconsin - Midwest Regional - U.S. Bank Arena, Cincinnati, Ohio
Friday, March 28 - 8:00 pm ET - ESPNU/WatchESPN - No. 1 Wisconsin (24-10-2) vs. No. 4 North Dakota (23-13-3)

Hudson Fasching-Christian Isackson and Minnesota - Northeast Regional - DCU Center, Worcester, Massachusetts.
Saturday, March 29 - 7:30 pm ET - ESPN3/WatchESPN - No. 2 UMass-Lowell (25-10-4) vs. No. 3 Minnesota State-Mankato (26-13-1)

Anthony Florentino-Mark Adams and Providence - East Regional, March 28-29 - Webster Bank Arena, Bridgeport, Connecticut.
Friday, March 28 - 5:30 pm ET - ESPNU/WatchESPN - No. 2 Quinnipiac (24-9-6) vs. No. 3 Providence (21-10-6)

#7 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:42 AM

This is the part when I cheer for Wisconsin.

Jumbotron intro:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Even when the music stops, the party doesn't:

Edited by IKnowPhysics, 27 March 2014 - 10:57 AM.

#8 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,372 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:47 AM

Jesus hates Wisconsin.

#9 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:00 AM

View Postd4rksabre, on 27 March 2014 - 10:47 AM, said:

Jesus hates Wisconsin.

TCU fans think that's the reason why TCU won the Rose Bowl in 2011.

#10 ChileanSeaBass

ChileanSeaBass

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 12:40 PM

Hopefully Wisconsin can make up for the dismal Sabres season we've had to suffer through.

#11 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

Woah-Oh! We're half way there...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,698 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 12:43 PM

Posted Image

#12 Moulson26

Moulson26

Blood and Guts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,644 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 12:59 PM

I wish they would add more teams to this tournament. I wish this tournament had play-in games such as basketball. Cornell vs. Robert Morris and Michigan vs. Colgate in play-in. Or something like that. I just feel too many good teams each year are left out.

#13 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:29 PM

View PostLoyalty, on 27 March 2014 - 12:59 PM, said:

I wish they would add more teams to this tournament. I wish this tournament had play-in games such as basketball. Cornell vs. Robert Morris and Michigan vs. Colgate in play-in. Or something like that. I just feel too many good teams each year are left out.

I agree.  Consolation: the conference tournaments are play-in games, in a way; the conference tournament champions get automatic bids.  See: Denver.

#14 dEnnis the Menace

dEnnis the Menace

D63

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,267 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:29 PM

I could get on board with a larger field and extended tournament.  Not as large as basketball obviously, but larger is better.

#15 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,641 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:31 PM

Bah. Canisius should've beaten Robert Morris except their goaltender forgot how to stop a puck in the third period.

#16 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:31 PM

McCabe on the spin pass:

Yes, please.

Edited by IKnowPhysics, 27 March 2014 - 01:32 PM.

#17 shrader

shrader

National Oranization of Men Against Amazonian Masterhood

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,280 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 02:26 PM

16 out of 59 total teams isn't too bad really.  That's over a quarter of the total teams making the field.  Does anyone know what that rate is for bouncyball?

And by the way, Northeastern would have gotten the nod ahead of Cornell if they had some sort of play in game.  And North Dakota would get pulled into it before Colgate.  Hell, Colgate's a 3 seed in this one.

#18 dEnnis the Menace

dEnnis the Menace

D63

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,267 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 02:29 PM

View Postshrader, on 27 March 2014 - 02:26 PM, said:

16 out of 59 total teams isn't too bad really.  That's over a quarter of the total teams making the field.  Does anyone know what that rate is for bouncyball?

And by the way, Northeastern would have gotten the nod ahead of Cornell if they had some sort of play in game.  And North Dakota would get pulled into it before Colgate.  Hell, Colgate's a 3 seed in this one.

didn't realize that.  wow.

#19 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,698 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 02:39 PM

View Postshrader, on 27 March 2014 - 02:26 PM, said:

16 out of 59 total teams isn't too bad really.  That's over a quarter of the total teams making the field. Does anyone know what that rate is for bouncyball?

68 out of 349 teams make the dance.

#20 shrader

shrader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,280 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 02:43 PM

View PostGlass Case Of Emotion, on 27 March 2014 - 02:39 PM, said:

68 out of 349 teams make the dance.

So under 20%.  Thanks.  I seem to remember hearing something about their being a maximum percentage of teams allowed in a post-season tourney by the NCAA.  I have no idea if that is legit or not, but it could limit any additions to the hockey field.

Anyway, by adding more teams, they'd cheapen the conference titles even more than they already are.  It already sucks seeing a team get bounced in the quarterfinals and then winding up as a #1 seed, but that seems to happen on an annual basis now.

#21 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,698 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 02:56 PM

View Postshrader, on 27 March 2014 - 02:43 PM, said:

So under 20%.  Thanks.  I seem to remember hearing something about their being a maximum percentage of teams allowed in a post-season tourney by the NCAA.  I have no idea if that is legit or not, but it could limit any additions to the hockey field.

Anyway, by adding more teams, they'd cheapen the conference titles even more than they already are.  It already sucks seeing a team get bounced in the quarterfinals and then winding up as a #1 seed, but that seems to happen on an annual basis now.

agreed, I'd like to see hockey move to giving the conference champions seeds 1-6 (so the 4 1's and the 2's that get paired with the 3rd and 4th 1's).

#22 shrader

shrader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,280 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:41 PM

View PostGlass Case Of Emotion, on 27 March 2014 - 02:56 PM, said:

agreed, I'd like to see hockey move to giving the conference champions seeds 1-6 (so the 4 1's and the 2's that get paired with the 3rd and 4th 1's).

As long as Atlantic Hockey exists, they cannot give conference champions the top 6 seeds.  I'm not quite sold on the NCHC either.

#23 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,698 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 05:45 PM

View Postshrader, on 27 March 2014 - 04:41 PM, said:

As long as Atlantic Hockey exists, they cannot give conference champions the top 6 seeds.  I'm not quite sold on the NCHC either.

The NHL gave the SE division champion a 3 seed for 2 decades. They can seed 'em however they want.

#24 ubkev

ubkev

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 05:49 PM

View PostGlass Case Of Emotion, on 27 March 2014 - 12:43 PM, said:

Posted Image

BOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#25 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,698 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 05:50 PM

View Postubkev, on 27 March 2014 - 05:49 PM, said:

BOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Haters gon' hate.

#26 ubkev

ubkev

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 05:54 PM

View PostGlass Case Of Emotion, on 27 March 2014 - 05:50 PM, said:

Haters gon' hate.

A kid that i work with is so ###### unbearable with his god damned Notre dame psycho babble that over 4 years he has completely worn me down and i hope their atletic department folds. Never hated them before that. To be honest they didn't even exist to me.

#27 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,372 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:41 PM

View Postubkev, on 27 March 2014 - 05:54 PM, said:

A kid that i work with is so ###### unbearable with his god damned Notre dame psycho babble that over 4 years he has completely worn me down and i hope their atletic department folds. Never hated them before that. To be honest they didn't even exist to me.

I've hated Notre Dame since I was a kid because every a**hole in WNY seemed to have a Fighting Irish starter jacket.

View PostGlass Case Of Emotion, on 27 March 2014 - 05:45 PM, said:

The NHL gave the SE division champion a 3 seed for 2 decades. They can seed 'em however they want.

Truth. Just because AHA is a weaker conference doesn't mean our top team shouldn't get a tourney bid.

#28 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,566 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:50 PM

View Postubkev, on 27 March 2014 - 05:54 PM, said:

I remember when everyone told me how Notre Dame was going to own Alabama in the BCS.  Everyone from the north that is.  Asked my southern friends and they all laughed... after the first quarter I laughed too.

I dislike Notre Dame but that stems from Basketball more than hockey or football

Edited by LGR4GM, 27 March 2014 - 06:52 PM.

#29 ubkev

ubkev

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:51 PM

View Postd4rksabre, on 27 March 2014 - 06:41 PM, said:

I've hated Notre Dame since I was a kid because every a**hole in WNY seemed to have a Fighting Irish starter jacket.

Yup, that would piss me off too. Central NY doesn't have a Notre Dame problem so the irish and their front running fans never bothered me. Now living in PA its nothing but Ped State fans(another school that needs to go away forever) and front running, never been to south bend, couldn't tell you what state ND is located in Irish fans.

View PostLGR4GM, on 27 March 2014 - 06:50 PM, said:

I remember when everyone told me how Notre Dame was going to own Alabama in the BCS.  Everyone from the north that is.  Asked my southern friends and they all laughed... after the first quarter I laughed too.

Hey LGR, how do you make Notre Dame eggs?

Edited by ubkev, 27 March 2014 - 06:53 PM.

#30 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,566 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:52 PM

View Postubkev, on 27 March 2014 - 06:51 PM, said:

Yup, that would piss me off too. Central NY doesn't have a Notre Dame problem so the irish and their front running fans never bothered me. Now living in PA its nothing but Ped State fans(another school that needs to go away forever) and front running, never been to south bend, couldn't tell you what state ND is located in Irish fans.

Hey LGR, how do you make Notre Dame eggs?
Idk but I love a good joke!

#31 ubkev

ubkev

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:54 PM

View PostLGR4GM, on 27 March 2014 - 06:52 PM, said:

Idk but I love a good joke!

Put them in a bowl thats way to big for them and beat em for 3 hours!!

#32 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,566 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:56 PM

View Postubkev, on 27 March 2014 - 06:54 PM, said:

Put them in a bowl thats way to big for them and beat em for 3 hours!!
LOL :w00t:

I loved how everyone was talking about Manti T'eo and how he was going to be great that game... then he got run over repeatedly, good times.

#33 MattPie

MattPie

Bikes beat tanks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,769 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 07:57 PM

View Postubkev, on 27 March 2014 - 06:51 PM, said:

I always figured ND in Buffalo was about the college football vacuum; much like the how the Cowboys are the team for anyone that doesn't have a local NFL team ND is big in Buffalo because there's nothing closer than Syracuse to root for. I never thought of the Irish angle before.

#34 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,931 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 08:15 PM

View PostMattPie, on 27 March 2014 - 07:57 PM, said:

I always figured ND in Buffalo was about the college football vacuum; much like the how the Cowboys are the team for anyone that doesn't have a local NFL team ND is big in Buffalo because there's nothing closer than Syracuse to root for. I never thought of the Irish angle before.

ND is big in Buffalo because Buffalo is a Catholic town.  It isn't any more complicated than that.

#35 Numark

Numark

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 08:45 PM

I was offered a scholarship for Notre Dame Law and declined because I had (still do) such a negative view of that school due to sports.  Can't stand them

#36 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,698 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 08:47 PM

View PostGlass Case Of Emotion, on 27 March 2014 - 05:50 PM, said:

Haters gon' hate.

#37 shrader

shrader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,280 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 07:01 AM

View Postd4rksabre, on 27 March 2014 - 06:41 PM, said:

Truth. Just because AHA is a weaker conference doesn't mean our top team shouldn't get a tourney bid.

That's not what I said.  They just shouldn't get one of the top seeds.  Bouncyball doesn't do it that way either.  I do hate how some of those 16 seed teams get forced into a play-in game though.  They actually earned their way in and the play-in should only involve the bubble teams.

#38 wyldnwoody44

wyldnwoody44

dont pee into the wind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,868 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:30 AM

My sis lives in South bend and I visit frequently and I Don my crimson tide jersey/hoodie around that college town and honestly people have tried fighting with me at gas stations over that..... I laugh, the school itself has a nice campus and a great medical school from what I've heard, but be ready to come from money or be a genius because it's not cheap..... So as for academics I won't knock the school, but when it comes to all ND sports, they can all go the way of the dodo

#39 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,698 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:44 AM

View Postwyldnwoody44, on 28 March 2014 - 11:30 AM, said:

My sis lives in South bend and I visit frequently and I Don my crimson tide jersey/hoodie around that college town and honestly people have tried fighting with me at gas stations over that..... I laugh, the school itself has a nice campus and a great medical school from what I've heard, but be ready to come from money or be a genius because it's not cheap..... So as for academics I won't knock the school, but when it comes to all ND sports, they can all go the way of the dodo

There is no Medical School at Notre Dame.

#40 wyldnwoody44

wyldnwoody44

dont pee into the wind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,868 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 12:08 PM

View PostGlass Case Of Emotion, on 28 March 2014 - 11:44 AM, said:

There is no Medical School at Notre Dame.
Really?!?! I know there's a law school there, odd, I've been under the assumption they had a medical campus all these years