I spotted this gem on CNNSI, with a good read on his backhand and puck skills

http://extramustard....date/?eref=sihp

#2 SDS

SDS

• SS Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,174 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 04:35 PM

Eh. The defenseman made that play seem much more dynamic than it actually was. I think he just got lucky that he stepped the way he did.

#3 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 04:43 PM

View PostBuffaninATL, on 06 March 2014 - 04:15 PM, said:

I spotted this gem on CNNSI, with a good read on his backhand and puck skills

http://extramustard....date/?eref=sihp

FYI: http://forums.sabres...ad/#entry562654

#4 SabresBillsFan

SabresBillsFan

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 04:58 PM

He's the reason why the tank needs to go on for one more season and then it's all about rising to the top of the league!

#5 Tankalicious

Tankalicious

Sam Reinhart, please

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 05:03 PM

Connor McDavid is the Tanksgiving turkey, gravy, potatoes and corn.

I'll let Eichel be the stuffing.

Edited by Tankalicious, 06 March 2014 - 05:03 PM.

#6 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,466 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 05:12 PM

View PostTankalicious, on 06 March 2014 - 05:03 PM, said:

Connor McDavid is the Tanksgiving turkey, gravy, potatoes and corn.

I'll let Eichel be the stuffing.

This changes my perspective on things, as stuffing is my favorite part of turkey day.

#7 dudacek

dudacek

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,111 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 05:17 PM

Just so everyone's clear that our best chance at McDavid is less than 50 percent.
And that's if the islanders defer and, with Buffalo, finish as the worst two teams in the league.
It's more likely to be less than 20 percent.
There are many excellent players at the top end next year. Hopefully we get one of them.

#8 Tankalicious

Tankalicious

Sam Reinhart, please

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 05:41 PM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 06 March 2014 - 05:12 PM, said:

This changes my perspective on things, as stuffing is my favorite part of turkey day.

Well it's only a little bit of stuffing and you're REALLY REALLY hungry.

View Postdudacek, on 06 March 2014 - 05:17 PM, said:

Just so everyone's clear that our best chance at McDavid is less than 50 percent.
And that's if the islanders defer and, with Buffalo, finish as the worst two teams in the league.
There are many excellent players at the top end next year. Hopefully we get one of them.

Hey thanks. You don't have to say it every time. Everybody gets it.

#9 ThirtyEight

ThirtyEight

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 05:51 PM

And when the Sabres get the third round pick? Which player is the bloated over-eaten feeling post-turkey. You know, the one that makes you think your previous actions were a bad idea and have not been good for you...

#10 bunomatic

bunomatic

bunomatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,757 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:08 AM

I feel sleepy

#11 Andrew Amerk

Andrew Amerk

Heart Means Everything.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,388 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:43 AM

Lloyd Christmas: So you're telling me there's a chance... YEAH!

#12 Icehole

Icehole

Goon Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,609 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 07:14 AM

View Postbunomatic, on 07 March 2014 - 12:08 AM, said:

I feel sleepy
Ok Rip Van bunomatic, we will wake you up in 2 years.  Think your goatie will any longer?

#13 Heimdall

Heimdall

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 07:15 AM

We won't get him, expansion teams will get him and eichel next year.

#14 bob_sauve28

bob_sauve28

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,631 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 08:50 AM

The way this team is playing now we are going to be in the payoffs next year!

#15 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

That Nostalgic Olfactory Blend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,380 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:10 AM

View PostHeimdall, on 07 March 2014 - 07:15 AM, said:

honest to god. if this happens, i'm not sure what i will do.

#16 Tankalicious

Tankalicious

Sam Reinhart, please

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:17 AM

View PostHeimdall, on 07 March 2014 - 07:15 AM, said:

I was thinking this too until I realized that recent precedent doesn't say this will happen.

#17 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,384 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:21 AM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 06 March 2014 - 05:12 PM, said:

There is most definitely a sex joke there.

What would this board do if we acquired another 2015 first round pick from a fringe team that misses the playoffs, the islanders defer, we end the season with the 1st and 2nd pick pre lottery.  The #14 team whos pick we own wins that lottery and we draft 1,2,3 in 2015... Would anyone else sh!t their pants?

#18 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:23 AM

View PostSDS, on 06 March 2014 - 04:35 PM, said:

Eh. The defenseman made that play seem much more dynamic than it actually was. I think he just got lucky that he stepped the way he did.

That's hockey sense for you.

#19 Tankalicious

Tankalicious

Sam Reinhart, please

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:24 AM

View PostLGR4GM, on 07 March 2014 - 09:21 AM, said:

What would this board do if we acquired another 2015 first round pick from a fringe team that misses the playoffs, the islanders defer, we end the season with the 1st and 2nd pick pre lottery.  The #14 team whos pick we own wins that lottery and we draft 1,2,3 in 2015... Would anyone else sh!t their pants?

I would totally soil myself

#20 Campy

Campy

Man created language to satisfy his deep need to complain

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:26 AM

View PostSDS, on 06 March 2014 - 04:35 PM, said:

The D-man definitely misplayed it by stepping up but it was a nice move.  I have a feeling if he tries that in the NHL he's going to get smoked more often than not.

#21 Neuvirths Glove

Neuvirths Glove

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,215 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:34 AM

I remember seeing videos like this of a Mr. Linus Omark....

#22 Tankalicious

Tankalicious

Sam Reinhart, please

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:37 AM

View PostDoohickie, on 07 March 2014 - 09:34 AM, said:

I remember seeing videos like this of a Mr. Linus Omark....

You're not serious, right?

#23 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,380 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:42 AM

View PostTankalicious, on 07 March 2014 - 09:17 AM, said:

I was thinking this too until I realized that recent precedent doesn't say this will happen.

please explain. i need this more than you know.

when's the last time this happened? 2000?

#24 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo or, Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,320 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:49 AM

*So, you're telling me there's a chance right?*

EDIT:

Damn you, AA!!

:P

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS, 07 March 2014 - 09:50 AM.

#25 ddaryl

ddaryl

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 151 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:12 AM

excellent !!!  then we simply must lose to ensure us the highest percentage probability

#26 Neuvirths Glove

Neuvirths Glove

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,215 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:54 AM

View PostTankalicious, on 07 March 2014 - 09:37 AM, said:

You're not serious, right?

Maybe.

I just think it's not a good policy to base your whole team on one or two great players.  Sure it's nice to have the great players, but there's a lot more to building a winner than that one player.

And there are lots of cases where a player was all-everything at lower levels of play but doesn't make the jump to the bigs.  And even if he does, he could blow out a knee or run into concussion problems and never be able to play up to his level of potential.

I don't know.  I have the feeling that if the Sabres get McDavid he will never be the franchise savior you're all making him out to be.  Maybe it's just my Buffalo Sports Fan Fatalism, but I don't think he's the answer.

#27 Tankalicious

Tankalicious

Sam Reinhart, please

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:00 AM

View PostThat Aud Smell, on 07 March 2014 - 09:42 AM, said:

please explain. i need this more than you know.

when's the last time this happened? 2000?

In the 1999 NHL entry draft the Atlanta Thrashers got the 2nd pick of each round (they ended up picking first overall after trades).
In the 2000 NHL entry draft the Columbus Blue Jackets and Minnesota Wild selected 3rd and 4th.
In the 1998 NHL entry draft the Nashville Predators selected 2nd overall.

View PostDoohickie, on 07 March 2014 - 10:54 AM, said:

Maybe.

I just think it's not a good policy to base your whole team on one or two great players.  Sure it's nice to have the great players, but there's a lot more to building a winner than that one player.

And there are lots of cases where a player was all-everything at lower levels of play but doesn't make the jump to the bigs.  And even if he does, he could blow out a knee or run into concussion problems and never be able to play up to his level of potential.

I don't know.  I have the feeling that if the Sabres get McDavid he will never be the franchise savior you're all making him out to be.  Maybe it's just my Buffalo Sports Fan Fatalism, but I don't think he's the answer.

It's going to take more than him. Obviously. But he's the type of prospect that changes everything. We have a plethora of very good prospects to fill the spaces around McDavid, but he's a world-class can't-miss prospect. Those don't come around often and they don't end up being busts.
Saying you don't think he's the answer doesn't make a whole lot of sense without saying what he's the answer to. Is he the answer to Jeopardy's "Who led the Sabres in scoring the first time the team won a Stanley Cup?" I don't know. Could he be the answer to the first true superstar since Hasek? Very good chance that happens if he comes to Buffalo.

#28 Touched by Boyes

Touched by Boyes

Expert Lurker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:04 AM

View PostTankalicious, on 07 March 2014 - 11:00 AM, said:

In the 1999 NHL entry draft the Atlanta Thrashers got the 2nd pick of each round (they ended up picking first overall after trades).
In the 2000 NHL entry draft the Columbus Blue Jackets and Minnesota Wild selected 3rd and 4th.

It's going to take more than him. Obviously. But he's the type of prospect that changes everything. We have a plethora of very good prospects to fill the spaces around McDavid, but he's a world-class can't-miss prospect. Those don't come around often and they don't end up being busts.
Saying you don't think he's the answer doesn't make a whole lot of sense without saying what he's the answer to. Is he the answer to Jeopardy's "Who led the Sabres in scoring the first time the team won a Stanley Cup?" I don't know. Could he be the answer to the first true superstar since Hasek? Very good chance that happens if he comes to Buffalo.
I would say there is a very good chance that Sam Reinhart will be our best player since Hasek, let alone McDavid. And that may be more of an indication of how talent starved we have been for the last decade or so. Even the good teams in 2006 were more based on depth of talent than elite talent.

#29 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,380 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:06 AM

View PostTankalicious, on 07 March 2014 - 11:00 AM, said:

thanks for this.

i know there's risk with the hype machine, but there are strong indications that mcdavid is not just an elite prospect (a la tavares, say), but a generational one (a la crosby).

no joke: i bought a votive candle for this cause, and light it from time to time, and say honest-to-god prayers that the kid comes here. no one in my family knows this is why i light the candle. this makes me feel some amount of shame.

#30 Tankalicious

Tankalicious

Sam Reinhart, please

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:09 AM

View PostThat Aud Smell, on 07 March 2014 - 11:06 AM, said:

thanks for this.

i know there's risk with the hype machine, but there are strong indications that mcdavid is not just an elite prospect (a la tavares, say), but a generational one (a la crosby).

no joke: i bought a votive candle for this cause, and light it from time to time, and say honest-to-god prayers that the kid comes here. no one in my family knows this is why i light the candle. this makes me feel some amount of shame.

The thing that's scary is the drop off if there really ends up being an expansion team or two. If we don't end up first then we might end up fourth by default next year. We'll see.

But I do think McDavid is worth the hype and every loss, as long as we get there. Eichel is a FANTASTIC consolation prize, but that's nullified if expansion happens. My hope is that we get McDavid and Seattle gets Eichel (because I love the city of Seattle).

#31 SDS

SDS

• SS Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,174 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:11 AM

View Post26CornerBlitz, on 07 March 2014 - 09:23 AM, said:

That's hockey sense for you.

That's a beer league defensive mistake. I'm not taking anything away from the kid, it's just that this particular example isn't really all that spectacular.

#32 Touched by Boyes

Touched by Boyes

Expert Lurker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:13 AM

That's both incredibly dedicated and highly concerning. The McDavid hype around here is bordering obsessive territory. :unsure:

#33 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,052 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:13 AM

Mayhaps we can organize a mass virtual votive candle-burning when the time comes.

#34 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,380 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:16 AM

that goal is more amazing to me when it's played from further back in the play. the speed and control with which mcdavid barrels up-ice is breathtaking. #believethehype

View PostTouched by Boyes, on 07 March 2014 - 11:13 AM, said:

That's both incredibly dedicated and highly concerning. The McDavid hype around here is bordering obsessive territory. :unsure:

ah, it's really all in fun.

mostly.

no worries that i might stalk the kid. i only have time to stalk mrs. pegula, after all.

View PostPASabreFan, on 07 March 2014 - 11:13 AM, said:

Mayhaps we can organize a mass virtual votive candle-burning when the time comes.

i'm in.

#35 Touched by Boyes

Touched by Boyes

Expert Lurker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:19 AM

View PostThat Aud Smell, on 07 March 2014 - 11:16 AM, said:

that goal is more amazing to me when it's played from further back in the play. the speed and control with which mcdavid barrels up-ice is breathtaking. #believethehype

ah, it's really all in fun.

mostly.

no worries that i might stalk the kid. i only have time to stalk mrs. pegula, after all.
Don't worry Aud, I was just giving you a hard time.

That being said, if he does end up here all of our worries about being a perennial playoff contender will be gone. If you have Crosby-type player you make the playoffs on his skill alone every year IMO.

#36 Tankalicious

Tankalicious

Sam Reinhart, please

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:20 AM

View PostTouched by Boyes, on 07 March 2014 - 11:19 AM, said:

Don't worry Aud, I was just giving you a hard time.

Based on his posts in this thread, that's not the only thing giving Aud a hard... Nevermind.

#37 Touched by Boyes

Touched by Boyes

Expert Lurker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:21 AM

View PostTankalicious, on 07 March 2014 - 11:20 AM, said:

Based on his posts in this thread, that's not the only thing giving Aud a hard... Nevermind.
I would refer you to the donut thread. Lots of phallic discussion over there...

#38 Potato

Potato

Take Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,328 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:26 AM

Buffalonians need to learn to think big... forget tanking on purpose... Playoffs next year! Stanley Cup in 2016!

And, we could make the playoffs next year and still get McDavid due to the Isles pick!   :thumbsup:

#39 Touched by Boyes

Touched by Boyes

Expert Lurker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:29 AM

View PostPotato, on 07 March 2014 - 11:26 AM, said:

Buffalonians need to learn to think big... forget tanking on purpose... Playoffs next year! Stanley Cup in 2016!

And, we could make the playoffs next year and still get McDavid due to the Isles pick!   :thumbsup:
http://www.drugrehabbuffalo.com/

Best of luck to you my friend...

#40 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,380 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:36 PM

View PostTankalicious, on 07 March 2014 - 11:20 AM, said:

View PostTouched by Boyes, on 07 March 2014 - 11:21 AM, said:

I would refer you to the donut thread. Lots of phallic discussion over there...

PEANUT STICK.