Prediction time: who's getting traded, and when?

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

Poll: What's gonna happen?

Which of the following players will be traded after the Olympics but before the actual trade deadline (March 5)? (Choose all that apply)

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Which player will the Sabres receive the most for in trade? (Choose 1 only)

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Which "surprise" player will get traded? (choose all that apply)

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 nfreeman

nfreeman

All I want is everything you got.

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,926 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:37 PM

We all want action.  Are we gettin' any this week?

As always, this is about what you think WILL happen, not what you want to happen.

I think nobody gets traded this week, and that Miller, Moulson, Ott, Tallinder and McBain get traded after the Olympics but before the deadline.

What say you?

Edited by nfreeman, 24 February 2014 - 10:23 AM.

#2 LaLaLaFontaine

LaLaLaFontaine

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:43 PM

I can see the Miller trade this week.

The rest may happen after Olympic

Of course we trade Miller, Moulson, Ott and Tallinder with the best receival with Miller

#3 Tankalicious

Tankalicious

McDavid is to McDieFor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,395 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:43 PM

I do have some weird feeling that Miller is gone by the Olympics, but I voted for after.

The Sabres should send the same message to buyers of Moulson: he will be traded Friday at 3. Whoever bids the highest by then gets him. Make your own deadline on him and get one "headache" out of the way.

#4 Potato

Potato

Take Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,564 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:21 PM

CodyMac should be one of the options.  Versatile 4th line guy who some team might want.  We don't really need him with Konopka in the lineup.  Cody can be moved for a box of rice and a pair of socks.

#5 thewookie1

thewookie1

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:29 PM

How dare you list the I only reason to watch the sabres...(girgs)

I said Moulson will have the largest return and no trades are done until after the Olympics

Edited by thewookie1, 05 February 2014 - 03:32 PM.

#6 Taro T

Taro T

It leads you here despite your destination under the MW tonight.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,999 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:28 AM

View Postnfreeman, on 05 February 2014 - 02:37 PM, said:

As always, this is about what you think WILL happen, not what you want to happen.

I think nobody gets traded this week, and that Miller, Moulson, Ott, Tallinder and McBain get traded after the Olympics but before the deadline.

What say you?
I don't see Hank getting traded but agree w/ the rest (unfortunately).  For some reason I can see Drew going as well.  (Hope it's not just the beer talking.)

#7 SabresBillsFan

SabresBillsFan

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:35 AM

You have to have a solid veteran or two to build a young team around. I don't know if it's such a good idea to trade every unrestricted free agent without offering them a contract. It should be very interesting to see who gets moved.

#8 Heimdall

Heimdall

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,737 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:36 AM

Can't simply see our olympians getting traded untill after the olympics.

Moulson, and surprise younger players + weber/mcbain is most likely for me.

Edited by Heimdall, 07 February 2014 - 01:37 AM.

#9 Icehole

Icehole

When hell freezes over, I’ll play hockey there too.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,622 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:05 AM

Trade tracker on TSN, latest: trade tracker

Nuts tried to cut and paste, don't feel like messing with the html this morning.  click on the above link.

Edited by North Buffalo, 07 February 2014 - 08:18 AM.

#10 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,600 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:53 AM

None by this afternoon.

Miller, Moulson and McBain traded by March 5th.

Miller getting the most in return, from a surprise playoff team, with an injured starter.

#11 BuffaloBorn

BuffaloBorn

tank on..

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:58 AM

Would anyone take Weber?

#12 Neuvirths Glove

Neuvirths Glove

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:32 AM

I can only speak for myself and my wife had surgery last week.  She doesn't get the stitches out til next week, so I'm thinking.... not gettin' any this week.

#13 Tankalicious

Tankalicious

McDavid is to McDieFor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,395 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:44 AM

@DarrenDreger: Still early, but fairly quiet on the trade front. If the action is going to pick up for the Islanders, offers need to improve.

#14 Assquatch

Assquatch

Did someone order a new core?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:34 AM

View PostDoohickie, on 07 February 2014 - 09:32 AM, said:

I can only speak for myself and my wife had surgery last week.  She doesn't get the stitches out til next week, so I'm thinking.... not gettin' any this week.
An old one:
Did she see the dentist too?

#15 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,770 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:45 AM

Who's getting traded and when?

Everybody and "right ###### now."

#16 nfreeman

nfreeman

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,926 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:53 AM

OK, so since we got a whole lotta nothin' prior to the Olympics, I've modified the poll by getting rid of the pre-Olympics question.

I also added a question about which surprise trade will happen.

The deadline isn't until a week from Wednesday, so we have plenty of time to speculate and get bored/annoyed about the lack of action.

Give us something to get psyched about, Timmy!

#17 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,202 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:16 AM

I expect Moulson and Ott will be gone on deadline day.  Maybe Tallinder too.  Wouldn't surprise me at all if there isn't a right match to move Miller.  And that would be a shame.

I rather prefer if Moulson and Ott were re-signed in the offseason, but I am doubtful that happens.

#18 nfreeman

nfreeman

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,926 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:25 AM

BTW:  if you've already voted and you want to vote in the new question (about the surprise trade), you need to delete your vote and then re-vote in all 3 questions.

Sorry for the hassle -- feel free to blame the mods, or PAFan if you prefer.

#19 Touched by Boyes

Touched by Boyes

Expert Lurker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,672 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:28 AM

The poll wouldn't accept my surprise trade answer, gave me an error message saying I needed to answer all questions :devil:

I think that Moulson and Miller are a definite to be traded, with Ott and a surprise young player/package like an Ennis/Pysyk type trade bringing back a top line player. It is certainly possible that ancilliary parts like McCormick/McBain/Sultzer type players get traded but I don't think the returns will be worth mentioning.

I'm just hoping things heat up sooner rather than later as this upcoming week is about all we have left to look forward to at this point in the season.

#20 NNYSABRESMAN

NNYSABRESMAN

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:06 PM

I think Miller will be difficult to move as the market is limited. I would say Moulson and Ott will bring back better returns than Miller.
Not sure that Ennis's talent out weigh's  his lack of size.

I am expecting to be wow'd by Tim Murray's moves!

#21 Derrico

Derrico

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:30 PM

View PostNNYSABRESMAN, on 24 February 2014 - 12:06 PM, said:

I think Miller will be difficult to move as the market is limited. I would say Moulson and Ott will bring back better returns than Miller.
Not sure that Ennis's talent out weigh's  his lack of size.

Completely agree with you and Weave on the Miller front.  Although if you're the Blues and see what happened at the olympics, how could you not think about upgrading?

#22 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,708 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:35 PM

I've gotten the impression that Moulson and Ott want to stay. With this team moving forward the Sabres need to have some veterans to build around, I think it would be a HUGE mistake to part ways with Moulson and Ott. They already got picks in the Moulson trade, get Moulson was a bonus. It would be a shame to lose what ended up being a great trade. Getting draft picks is nice, but you can only have so many. They had a ton of picks last year, they have a ton more already this upcoming draft. Keep what they have and start working towards the future. There is plenty of young talent in the system, time to start focusing on re-signing UFA's, looking at potential offseason trades and big name UFA signings.

Miller won't be traded. A non-playoff team won't trade for Miller and a bonafide playoff team won't risk hurting their own chemistry at this point in the season. Murray won't get a significant return for Miller and the organization will spend the rest of the season trying to convince Miller to stay. The next week and a half will be very anticlimactic.

Edited by JJFIVEOH, 24 February 2014 - 12:36 PM.

#23 LaLaLaFontaine

LaLaLaFontaine

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:45 PM

View PostNNYSABRESMAN, on 24 February 2014 - 12:06 PM, said:

Don't do that. You will be disappointed.

#24 Heimdall

Heimdall

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,737 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 01:26 PM

Murray won't wow us untill next year.   He'll make minor moves for cornerstone pieces to become a playoff team in two year.

#25 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,965 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 01:34 PM

I don't think anything surprise gets done. I expect Moulson, Ott and Miller to be gone for typical deadline packages, and not much else. At that point, I eagerly await people calling Murray a bum because all he did was the expected. I do, however expect more moves in the offseason.

#26 Moulson26

Moulson26

Blood and Guts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,669 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 01:55 PM

I still don't think theres a market for Miller. I don't know if anyone is willing to pay the price? I can see several teams, including Florida, St Louis and Minnesota try to bring him in as a free agent but i dont think they are willing to part with prospects. Florida because they're out of it anyways and St Louis/Minny because why disrupt their team when you can give it a shot to win now and try to land Miller as a free agent?

Only true team out there i think is Washington. They have been flirting with contention for a long time, their GM is on thin ice, they need to do something to please Alex Ovechkin and they must know they are going nowhere anytime soon with their current goalies. They got to be pretty embarrassed that Ovie is having a remarkable season and they are on the outside looking in as of the Olympic break.

I think Miller stays and Murray/PLF put a big emphasis on working with to re-sign him.

#27 Moulson26

Moulson26

Blood and Guts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,669 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 02:12 PM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 24 February 2014 - 01:34 PM, said:

I don't think anything surprise gets done. I expect Moulson, Ott and Miller to be gone for typical deadline packages, and not much else. At that point, I eagerly await people calling Murray a bum because all he did was the expected. I do, however expect more moves in the offseason.

While I would not be one of those calling him a "bum", it will take a while to turn this team around and many moves will need to be made in the next year and a half if we really want to become a good team again anytime soon, but the thing this, trading Moulson and Ott is easy. I'm not going to pretend like i can be a NHL GM because i know it's a tough job, but that's one of the easier aspects of it. Any one of us could go and trade Moulson and Ott and get a solid return. Darcy Regier was the KING of trading UFAs.

It's what he does with guys such as Ennis, Ehrhoff, Stafford, Myers, ect, that will separate Murray from a low end GM to a top-tier GM and that is what will truly shape up the Sabres going into the future.

So, no, he doesn't need to make any out of the box moves in the next 10 days, but if he doesn't, the pressure only starts to build up for him.

#28 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,326 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:12 PM

I think the underdog move is pairing Erhoff with a vet UFA.

Erhoff/Moulson  or Erhoff/Ott would be a game-changing package to some team ready to separate from the playoff pack. Look West.

Why Erhoff? Though he is a very nice player, I don't think he is the rugged-two way guy that you want to mentor the  upcoming class of d-men.  He's just not that guy.

(personal preference -- I think it would be enough to pry Hertle from San Jose who is locked under a crowded top six. If I'm Murray i'm asking for the price).

#29 nfreeman

nfreeman

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,926 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:15 PM

View PostX. Benedict, on 24 February 2014 - 03:12 PM, said:

Erhoff/Moulson  or Erhoff/Ott would be a game-changing package to some team ready to separate from the playoff pack. Look West.

Why Erhoff? Though he is a very nice player, I don't think he is the rugged-two way guy that you want to mentor the  upcoming class of d-men.  He's just not that guy.

(personal preference -- I think it would be enough to pry Hertle from San Jose who is locked under a crowded top six. If I'm Murray i'm asking for the price).

I would make that deal in a heartbeat, but I'm skeptical that SJ would.

#30 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,326 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:30 PM

View Postnfreeman, on 24 February 2014 - 03:15 PM, said:

I would make that deal in a heartbeat, but I'm skeptical that SJ would.

I think San Jose has to make some moves.

#31 Tankalicious

Tankalicious

McDavid is to McDieFor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,395 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:41 PM

View PostX. Benedict, on 24 February 2014 - 03:30 PM, said:

I think San Jose has to make some moves.

They know they're getting older. I don't think they're moving one of the best prospects in the game for anything we have to offer.

#32 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,326 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:50 PM

View PostTankalicious, on 24 February 2014 - 03:41 PM, said:

They know they're getting older. I don't think they're moving one of the best prospects in the game for anything we have to offer.

There is no way they get out of the West without a bold move.
It really is a mute point, Hertl is unlikely to come off of IR....but this type of move would be what I would be looking for if I where Murray.

#33 Drunkard

Drunkard

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:50 PM

View PostX. Benedict, on 24 February 2014 - 03:12 PM, said:

I'd be more than ok with a deal similar to that but not with Ehrhoff. For one, he's own only reliable veteran defenseman and two, I want no part of trading him and risking the salary cap recapture penalty if we trade him and he retires once the he starts earning crappy money in actual dollars.

#34 Tankalicious

Tankalicious

McDavid is to McDieFor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,395 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:54 PM

View PostX. Benedict, on 24 February 2014 - 03:50 PM, said:

It really is a mute point, Hertl is unlikely to come off of IR....but this type of move would be what I would be looking for if I where Murray.

That's an opinion (the first part). But they have other pieces they could move no named Hertl.

#35 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,326 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:55 PM

View PostTankalicious, on 24 February 2014 - 03:54 PM, said:

That's an opinion (the first part). But they have other pieces they could move no named Hertl.

Good job spotting the opinion. ;)

#36 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,965 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:58 PM

View PostX. Benedict, on 24 February 2014 - 03:50 PM, said:

I summon you to the grammar thread! The point is not unable to speak! :P

#37 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,326 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:04 PM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 24 February 2014 - 03:58 PM, said:

I summon you to the grammar thread! The point is not unable to speak! :P

The question is moot! (Rev. Jesse Jackson)

http://www.maniacwor...on-is-moot.html

I apologize for my unspeakable gaff.

#38 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,965 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:11 PM

View PostX. Benedict, on 24 February 2014 - 04:04 PM, said:

The question is moot! (Rev. Jesse Jackson)

http://www.maniacwor...on-is-moot.html

I apologize for my unspeakable gaff.

Haha.  Well done.

#39 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,681 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:32 PM

View PostTankalicious, on 24 February 2014 - 03:54 PM, said:

Isn't everything posted here an opinion.  (Unless linking a factually based article)

#40 Tankalicious

Tankalicious

McDavid is to McDieFor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,395 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:43 PM

View Postinkman, on 24 February 2014 - 07:32 PM, said:

Isn't everything posted here an opinion.  (Unless linking a factually based article)

No... For example, this post isn't an opinion. Because I'm right dagnabbit. :)

Edited by Tankalicious, 24 February 2014 - 07:43 PM.