Jump to content


Ryan Callahan - person of interest


  • Please log in to reply
223 replies to this topic

#1 BuffaninATL

BuffaninATL

    Third Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Milton, GA by way of Deaconess Hospital

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:31 PM

Rochester native in wearing the blue & gold - what say you ?

http://espn.go.com/b...ave-extra-d-men

#2 weave

weave

    Self-appointed Expert

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,173 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:in your head

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:33 PM

The offseason FA signing period is a loooong way off.

#3 BuffaninATL

BuffaninATL

    Third Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Milton, GA by way of Deaconess Hospital

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:35 PM

true, but this the first published rumor of the Rangers expressing doubts about getting him extended - just putting it out there

#4 Tankalicious

Tankalicious

    McDavid is to McDieFor

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,321 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:36 PM

It's already being discussed elsewhere, including the unsubstantiated thread.

#5 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

    Poop Flavored Lollypop

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,897 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tanking it Old School

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:52 PM

BuffainATL... hows Atlanta?  MY gf says that the roads are all gridlocked and shes stuck at work.

Also Callahan as a UFA would be very interesting if we could acquire him.

#6 BuffaninATL

BuffaninATL

    Third Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Milton, GA by way of Deaconess Hospital

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:10 PM

View PostLGR4GM, on 28 January 2014 - 09:52 PM, said:

BuffainATL... hows Atlanta?  MY gf says that the roads are all gridlocked and shes stuck at work.

Also Callahan as a UFA would be very interesting if we could acquire him.

pretty funny here - less than 2-3" and it's armageddon here; it takes forever to get ANYWHERE and the grocery stores are emptied for bread & milk. Schools get closed as this area is woefully underprepared.

#7 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

    Poop Flavored Lollypop

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,897 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tanking it Old School

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:11 PM

View PostBuffaninATL, on 28 January 2014 - 10:10 PM, said:

pretty funny here - less than 2-3" and it's armageddon here; it takes forever to get ANYWHERE and the grocery stores are emptied for bread & milk. Schools get closed as this area is woefully underprepared.
I bet. I got out of work early and I hope they just close tomorrow I don't wanna drive with these fruitloops down here.

#8 BuffaninATL

BuffaninATL

    Third Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Milton, GA by way of Deaconess Hospital

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:13 PM

View PostTankalicious, on 28 January 2014 - 09:36 PM, said:

It's already being discussed elsewhere, including the unsubstantiated thread.

well I linked to a substantiated source, so take that ..... :w00t:

View PostLGR4GM, on 28 January 2014 - 10:11 PM, said:

I bet. I got out of work early and I hope they just close tomorrow I don't wanna drive with these fruitloops down here.

amen brother...that's why I worked from home today; too many idiots on the road

#9 Assquatch

Assquatch

    Did someone order a new core?

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Lewiston, NY

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:14 PM

I'll take two, please.

#10 BRAWNDO

BRAWNDO

    Third Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:15 PM

Yes please

#11 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

    1970

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:South Jersey

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:19 PM

View Post26CornerBlitz, on 28 January 2014 - 08:26 PM, said:

TSN INSIDER TRADING: 01/28/14

-According to McKenzie, there is a "lukewarm" market for Ryan Miller. The Wild have kicked tires and are monitoring Harding's health situation. There's "some" interest from St. Louis, but he made it sound like they'd be perfectly fine going forward with Halak.

-Perhaps the bigger piece of information is that the Rangers are gauging the trade market for Ryan Callahan and Girardi, and are prepared to trade one or both if neither are re-signed by the deadline. They are determined not to have either walk for nothing this summer. Callahan is apparently looking for 7 years at over $6m AAV.

The price is rather high!

#12 thewookie1

thewookie1

    Fourth Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:20 PM

Yes, all yes.

Especially if Ott is traded without him returning.

#13 Bob Malooga

Bob Malooga

    Prospect

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 174 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Church-bell Tower.

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:29 PM

View Post26CornerBlitz, on 28 January 2014 - 10:19 PM, said:



The price is rather high!
And if anyone can afford that, it is Buffalo.

These are the moves they need to make if they want to annually compete, bring back local kids and become "Hockey Heaven."

It all starts bringing home a leader and immediate captain, who will help to continue and reinforce the newfound culture.

#14 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

    Poop Flavored Lollypop

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,897 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tanking it Old School

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:37 PM

I think the smart thing to do would be to wait and see if Callahan hits UFA.  Trading for him just wastes assets (unless he comes cheap and will sign here).

#15 Tankalicious

Tankalicious

    McDavid is to McDieFor

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,321 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 28 January 2014 - 11:34 PM

I'd love to bring in Callahan, but I don't know enough about him to know if he's the type of guy to go somewhere simply for the money. There isn't any other reason to be here. Not yet at least.

Edited by Tankalicious, 28 January 2014 - 11:35 PM.


#16 dudacek

dudacek

    Second Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,392 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:High and wide

Posted 28 January 2014 - 11:50 PM

We gotta spend the money on somebody. He's the right type of player.
He's from the area and he's young enough to still be here when we get good.
I think he will look good paving the way for Hodgson and Reinhart.
I have no problem with 7 x $6 million, or more, if that's what it takes.
Doubt he will be worth it, any more than Drury was to the Rangers, but we need to make a statement.

#17 inkman

inkman

    Fledgling Member of TSC

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,621 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Fairport

Posted 28 January 2014 - 11:59 PM

View PostLGR4GM, on 28 January 2014 - 09:52 PM, said:

BuffainATL... hows Atlanta?  MY gf says that the roads are all gridlocked and shes "stuck at work."
Fixed :nana:

#18 Heimdall

Heimdall

    Third Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Brussels, Belgium

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:05 AM

Yeah you wait untill UFA if he wants to play for Buffalo he'll come here.

#19 Andrew Amerk

Andrew Amerk

    Heart Means Everything.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,433 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rochester, NY

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:28 AM

View PostTankalicious, on 28 January 2014 - 11:34 PM, said:

I'd love to bring in Callahan, but I don't know enough about him to know if he's the type of guy to go somewhere simply for the money. There isn't any other reason to be here. Not yet at least.

I grew up with him. It's not going to just be about money.

#20 Warriorspikes51

Warriorspikes51

    Top Prospect

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Buffalo

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:17 AM

This should now be our new top priority before FEB 7th.    Lafontaine mentioned they were excited about trying to get homegrown talents to play here.  One just became available.  He's a UFA to be who wants 6-7 years and 6 mil plus per. We need to spend around 25 mil just to hit the cap floor!  We have every reason to trade for him and immediately give him the deal he wants.  7 years 50 mil. Make the Rangers an offer they can't refuse....

Grigorenko, Ennis, 2nd for Callahan.


Buffalo Sabres in Olympics.....Captain USA and MVP Goalie USA.

#21 sicknfla

sicknfla

    Fourth Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:51 AM

View PostWarriorspikes51, on 29 January 2014 - 02:17 AM, said:

This should now be our new top priority before FEB 7th.    Lafontaine mentioned they were excited about trying to get homegrown talents to play here.  One just became available.  He's a UFA to be who wants 6-7 years and 6 mil plus per. We need to spend around 25 mil just to hit the cap floor!  We have every reason to trade for him and immediately give him the deal he wants.  7 years 50 mil.     Make the Rangers an offer they can't refuse....

Grigorenko, Ennis, 2nd for Callahan.


Buffalo Sabres in Olympics.....Captain USA and MVP Goalie USA.

Why? Hold onto your assets and sign him in the summer. Its not like he is going to help us before then. If he wants to come here i am sure TP will make it worth his while. If he doesn't want to play here he signs somewhere else and you just wasted two players and a pick.

#22 bobis

bobis

    Fourth Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:56 AM

yeah, he would be a good addition. I still think he lives in Greece in the offseason.

#23 716

716

    Third Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:41 AM

I like Callahan, he's a local guy and he's always kicked our ass but he wants $42 mil, is 28 and injury prone.

#24 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

    That Nostalgic Olfactory Blend

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,650 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:Bobcaygeon, Ontario

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:50 AM

View Postsicknfla, on 29 January 2014 - 05:51 AM, said:

Why? Hold onto your assets and sign him in the summer. Its not like he is going to help us before then. If he wants to come here i am sure TP will make it worth his while. If he doesn't want to play here he signs somewhere else and you just wasted two players and a pick.

i'm all for taking a run at our local captain america, but this is not an unfair point (so, a fair point?).

as i understand it, a team acquiring callahan now would, insofar as a new deal goes, get the benefit of the lag time between that team's offseason beginning and the start of the UFA period -- nothing more. as noted, players and/or picks may be a lot to pay for that right.

a contending team should pay that price for the value callahan can provide this season and in the playoffs, but i'm not sure a bottom-dweller should pay a similar price for an exclusive (albeit limited in time) right to negotiate a new deal.

Edited by That Aud Smell, 29 January 2014 - 09:52 AM.


#25 CallawaySabres

CallawaySabres

    Third Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,196 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Buffalo

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:03 AM

View PostWarriorspikes51, on 29 January 2014 - 02:17 AM, said:

This should now be our new top priority before FEB 7th. Lafontaine mentioned they were excited about trying to get homegrown talents to play here.  One just became available.  He's a UFA to be who wants 6-7 years and 6 mil plus per. We need to spend around 25 mil just to hit the cap floor!  We have every reason to trade for him and immediately give him the deal he wants.  7 years 50 mil.     Make the Rangers an offer they can't refuse....

Grigorenko, Ennis, 2nd for Callahan.



Buffalo Sabres in Olympics.....Captain USA and MVP Goalie USA.

Grigs, Ennis and a 2nd? Ennis would be the starting piece of this trade - the other 2 parts might as well be Porter and Ellis

#26 HopefulFuture

HopefulFuture

    Swords Forever

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:17 AM

We can't have Callahan, he knows how to pot the puck and we don't need scorers on this team for the tank next season in the race for McDavid :P

#27 Derrico

Derrico

    Second Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Greater Toronto Area

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:29 AM

View PostHopefulFuture, on 29 January 2014 - 10:17 AM, said:

We can't have Callahan, he knows how to pot the puck and we don't need scorers on this team for the tank next season in the race for McDavid :P

Did you see Enroth last night?  We'll just lose 6-4 games next year rather than 2-1 games this year :P

#28 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

    All Star

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,288 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:12 AM

View Post716, on 29 January 2014 - 09:41 AM, said:

I like Callahan, he's a local guy and he's always kicked our ass but he wants $42 mil, is 28 and injury prone.

These are two legitimate concerns.  Price is no biggy in and of itself, but financially structuring your team around someone who is injury prone from playing on the edge can be a problem.

Given the chance, I'd pull the trigger on any reasonable deal that could land him. But I'd only expect a good 4 years out of that contract.

Edited by X. Benedict, 29 January 2014 - 11:26 AM.


#29 HopefulFuture

HopefulFuture

    Swords Forever

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:16 AM

View PostDerrico, on 29 January 2014 - 10:29 AM, said:

Did you see Enroth last night?  We'll just lose 6-4 games next year rather than 2-1 games this year :P

touche' good sir, touche' :thumbsup:

#30 LTS

LTS

    Who's next?

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Mendon, NY (by way of Tonawanda)

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:36 AM

View PostBocceBall, on 29 January 2014 - 05:56 AM, said:

yeah, he would be a good addition. I still think he lives in Greece in the offseason.

Well, he might have.  I think he moved to Mendon recently.  There was a sign on the side of a local restaurant "The Cottage" that said "Welcome NY Ranger Captain, Ryan Callahan, and family to Mendon."  I couldn't figure any event going on in the area so I assumed he might have moved his family there.

Wonder if his kids go to public school? (does he have kids?)  They'd be in the same district as mine.

#31 bcardona

bcardona

    Top Prospect

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 431 posts
  • Location:Fairport, NY

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:01 PM

View PostLTS, on 29 January 2014 - 11:36 AM, said:

Well, he might have.  I think he moved to Mendon recently.  There was a sign on the side of a local restaurant "The Cottage" that said "Welcome NY Ranger Captain, Ryan Callahan, and family to Mendon."  I couldn't figure any event going on in the area so I assumed he might have moved his family there.

Wonder if his kids go to public school? (does he have kids?)  They'd be in the same district as mine.
Interesting.  I was at the Cottage for this dandy.



Quality local pub.

#neverforget #intagibles #5for5 #sabres #slug #rangers #captain

#32 nfreeman

nfreeman

    All I want is everything you got.

  • SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,902 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Brooklyn

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:29 PM

View PostThat Aud Smell, on 29 January 2014 - 09:50 AM, said:

i'm all for taking a run at our local captain america, but this is not an unfair point (so, a fair point?).

as i understand it, a team acquiring callahan now would, insofar as a new deal goes, get the benefit of the lag time between that team's offseason beginning and the start of the UFA period -- nothing more. as noted, players and/or picks may be a lot to pay for that right.

a contending team should pay that price for the value callahan can provide this season and in the playoffs, but i'm not sure a bottom-dweller should pay a similar price for an exclusive (albeit limited in time) right to negotiate a new deal.

This is where I am as well.  Unless Callahan agrees to an extension as part of the trade, I would not part with any real assets to get him here now.  But I would make him a huge offer in free agency.

#33 bcardona

bcardona

    Top Prospect

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 431 posts
  • Location:Fairport, NY

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:36 PM

View PostLTS, on 29 January 2014 - 11:36 AM, said:

Well, he might have.  I think he moved to Mendon recently.  There was a sign on the side of a local restaurant "The Cottage" that said "Welcome NY Ranger Captain, Ryan Callahan, and family to Mendon."  I couldn't figure any event going on in the area so I assumed he might have moved his family there.

Wonder if his kids go to public school? (does he have kids?)  They'd be in the same district as mine.

Bartlett is his agent. Maybe they were just having lunch there.

(from Monday)

Callahan's agent, Stephen Bartlett of the Sports Consulting Group based in Pittsford, New York, said he and the Rangers have had "ongoing discussions in the hopes that we can get something done," and that while there have been some "detours" at points, he remains "optimistic."

Read more: http://www.nydailyne...3#ixzz2roHGDfdE

#34 Heimdall

Heimdall

    Third Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Brussels, Belgium

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:37 PM

View PostX. Benedict, on 29 January 2014 - 11:12 AM, said:

These are two legitimate concerns.  Price is no biggy in and of itself, but financially structuring your team around someone who is injury prone from playing on the edge can be a problem.

Given the chance, I'd pull the trigger on any reasonable deal that could land him. But I'd only expect a good 4 years out of that contract.

If he really is a fan of buffalo he'll take 5.5 mill, wich isn't to bad seeing some are willing to pay Steve Ott 4 mill.  
Hell 6 mill for 6 years even looks like a steal with the cap ceiling going up each year.

Edited by Heimdall, 29 January 2014 - 12:41 PM.


#35 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

    That Nostalgic Olfactory Blend

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,650 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:Bobcaygeon, Ontario

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:24 PM

View Postnfreeman, on 29 January 2014 - 12:29 PM, said:

This is where I am as well. Unless Callahan agrees to an extension as part of the trade, I would not part with any real assets to get him here now. But I would make him a huge offer in free agency.

this is my question, i guess: can we re-sign him to an in-season extension as part of the consideration for the trade? something made me think not.

X's point about the guy's being an injury risk is well-taken. even so, i don't think he'd be looked to as a cornerstone piece for our long-term future (that's for the #1 or #2 pick overall in 2015 to assume, with any luck); he'd be more like the culture-setting ambassador for the nearer-term.

#36 LTS

LTS

    Who's next?

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Mendon, NY (by way of Tonawanda)

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:11 PM

View Postbcardona, on 29 January 2014 - 12:01 PM, said:

Interesting.  I was at the Cottage for this dandy.


Quality local pub.

#neverforget #intagibles #5for5 #sabres #slug #rangers #captain

View Postbcardona, on 29 January 2014 - 12:36 PM, said:

Bartlett is his agent. Maybe they were just having lunch there.

(from Monday)

Callahan's agent, Stephen Bartlett of the Sports Consulting Group based in Pittsford, New York, said he and the Rangers have had "ongoing discussions in the hopes that we can get something done," and that while there have been some "detours" at points, he remains "optimistic."

Read more: http://www.nydailyne...3#ixzz2roHGDfdE

Interesting.  Although I wouldn't think they would put the (& Family) part on the sign if it was just him in town.  I should have asked them when I was there.  Oh well, I will be back there again soon.  I saw it on a Saturday morning while driving to Auburn for a hockey tournament.  I don't recall it being there Sunday night when I ate there for dinner (this was a week ago).

#37 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

    First Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,914 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cheektowaga, NY

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:13 PM

While I like Callahan a lot and would he happy with him on the team, I think giving up significant assets to acquire his rights followed by overpaying him would just be a poor series of decisions. Really good player, but a franchise player he is not.

#38 sizzlemeister

sizzlemeister

    Dreamer of Dreams

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,807 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:In your neighborhood.

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:14 PM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 29 January 2014 - 03:13 PM, said:

While I like Callahan a lot and would he happy with him on the team, I think giving up significant assets to acquire his rights followed by overpaying him would just be a poor series of decisions. Really good player, but a franchise player he is not.

Who is available this summer who is worth a lot of money?

#39 Robviously

Robviously

    What You Don't See

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,112 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Texas

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:15 PM

View PostDerrico, on 29 January 2014 - 10:29 AM, said:

Did you see Enroth last night?  We'll just lose 6-4 games next year rather than 2-1 games this year :P
Honestly, that would still feel way better.

View PostLGR4GM, on 28 January 2014 - 10:37 PM, said:

I think the smart thing to do would be to wait and see if Callahan hits UFA.  Trading for him just wastes assets (unless he comes cheap and will sign here).
Thank you.

#40 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

    First Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,914 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cheektowaga, NY

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:18 PM

View Postsizzlemeister, on 29 January 2014 - 03:14 PM, said:

Who is available this summer who is worth a lot of money?

Last I checked, basically nobody. I wouldn't hate overpaying him as a UFA, but I'm not nearly as gung-ho about it as some seem to be. But my real issue would be giving up significant assets to acquire him at the deadline AND then overpaying him.