315 replies to this topic

#281 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,513 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 11:49 PM

Well, sure, after I post that he has a good shift. Where have those shifts been nearly all season? Too few and far between.

He's been playing injured most of the season. Not to mention his injury riddled minutes have been with John Scott, Cody McCormick, Brian Flynn and Matt Ellis

#282 nobody

nobody

Title? Someday...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,461 posts

How bad is it when you hear a little voice telling you "the team is better when Stafford plays?"

Don't fall for the devil's trickery!

#283 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,513 posts

when did Weber become such a punk?

What you call punk, I call god

#284 ...

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,694 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 11:55 PM

How bad is it when you hear a little voice telling you "the team is better when Stafford plays?"

OMG. Get out of my fricking head, dude.

He's been playing injured most of the season. Not to mention his injury riddled minutes have been with John Scott, Cody McCormick, Brian Flynn and Matt Ellis

When Myers was having his bad games the last few seasons, I never bought into the idea, or got the impression watching him myself, that he was a bust.

Foligno, I do. Not total bust I'll grant, but bust in the way Stafford is a bust. Stafford was supposed to score up to 30 or more goals a season.

Foligno is supposed to be the guy crashing the net, and camping there making it painful for the D. He's supposed to be the guy that goes into the corners and comes out with the puck. He's supposed to make the hit in the offensive zone that changes the momentum. Where is that sh%t? It doesn't matter what line he is on, he looks like he's watching the game rather than playing it.

#285 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,513 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 11:57 PM

And I'm going to keep saying it until it happens, I would put Ennis in any package that comes up to make it happen. He has so much more value in a trade than he does on the ice.

Please god yes

Sizzle, Marcus has a bum shoulder. He has most of the season. That had reduced the integral parts of his game to nil, hitting and shooting. He'll be fine, he needs time to heal.

#286 ...

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,694 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:09 AM

Sizzle, Marcus has a bum shoulder. He has most of the season. That had reduced the integral parts of his game to nil, hitting and shooting. He'll be fine, he needs time to heal.

I don't generally disagree so widely with your POV on a player, and I really want to buy into what you're selling on Foligno but I can't bring myself to it. I know about the injury.

If the injury is such that he can't play his game - get him the hell out of there and put in someone else. Why isn't he on IR and having surgery?

Edited by sizzlemeister, 29 January 2014 - 12:10 AM.

#287 Murray's Rats

Murray's Rats

Since Gilbert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,683 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:13 AM

Girgensons is still playing well and this is in no way meant to detract from that but he definitely looks like he needs a break or has some kind of injury. He's not quite as turnt up as he was earlier this year.

The Olympics won't help either. A lot of games for a kid to play the way he does!!

#288 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,513 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:16 AM

If the injury is such that he can't play his game - get him the hell out of there and put in someone else. Why isn't he on IR and having surgery?

I agree. I can only think pride is in the way. Hopefully we'll both look back at this and admire the pain he played through.

#289 Tom Backyard

Tom Backyard

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 182 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:17 AM

OMG. Get out of my fricking head, dude.

When Myers was having his bad games the last few seasons, I never bought into the idea, or got the impression watching him myself, that he was a bust.

Foligno, I do. Not total bust I'll grant, but bust in the way Stafford is a bust. Stafford was supposed to score up to 30 or more goals a season.

Foligno is supposed to be the guy crashing the net, and camping there making it painful for the D. He's supposed to be the guy that goes into the corners and comes out with the puck. He's supposed to make the hit in the offensive zone that changes the momentum. Where is that sh%t? It doesn't matter what line he is on, he looks like he's watching the game rather than playing it.

Woah. Hold on a second. Ceiling isn't that high on this kid. He has played 108 games (and zero complete NHL seasons), and has 45 points in them.

Did you see the play he made on Varone's goal tonight?

Additionally, He's hurt, as inkman pointed out.

#290 Wyldnwoody44

Wyldnwoody44

"Have no fear of perfection, You'll never reach it"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,323 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:57 AM

Need some Zofran?

Zofran, reglan, roncuronium, whatever you got lol

Edited by wyldnwoody44, 29 January 2014 - 01:02 AM.

#291 Huckleberry

Huckleberry

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,950 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:57 AM

Just loved how Varone celebrated his 1st goal, you can see that the kid wants to do everything to make it to the NHL, pointing at someone in the crowd :D

#292 Wyldnwoody44

Wyldnwoody44

"Have no fear of perfection, You'll never reach it"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,323 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:01 AM

I'll never understand the phrase."It's not the great, but they give you a lot." Why do I want a lot if it sucks?! How about just giving me less of something that's good?

I hadn't eaten all day, long shift at work so when it came down to it, I was actually in the Chili's parking lot, then realized how close I was to the buffet and said screw it, I really wanna pig out... I was not unhappy with my decision lol

All you can ###### ###### sounds good too until you get there and see it's riddled with herpes and stinks and looks like a beached whale...cue the "really dude" message from Scott in 3...2...1

That may be true, fortunately for me, I don't have to worry about caching anything...... I'm probably a carrier of most diseases ;) I was in the Navy after all

Side note, I was very sad at Ennis making that pass in OT and whoever was back playing the 2-1 did not play the pass across, very bad positioning left enroth alone

#293 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:56 AM

POSTGAME LINKS

01/28 – POST-GAME NEWSLETTER: Washington Capitals @ Buffalo Sabres (NHL.com)

01/28 – GAME RECAP: VARONE SCORES 1ST NHL GOAL IN OT LOSS (Joe Ray – Sabres.com)

01/28 – Post-Game Report: 1/28 vs. WSH (Ian Ott – Sabres PR)

01/28 – Brian Duff and Dan Dunleavy recap the Sabres 5-4 overtime loss to the Capitals. <4:49>

01/28 – Ted Nolan speaks with the media following the Sabres 5-4 overtime loss to the Capitals. <3:05>

01/28 – Cody Hodgson speaks with the media following the Sabres 5-4 overtime loss to the Capitals. <1:55>

01/28 – Phil Varone speaks with the media following the Sabres 5-4 overtime loss to the Capitals. <1:42>

01/28 – Jhonas Enroth speaks with the media following the Sabres 5-4 overtime loss to the Capitals. <3:00>

#294 kishoph

kishoph

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:36 AM

Dude, you trolled. They bit. Own it.

And I'm going to keep saying it until it happens, I would put Ennis in any package that comes up to make it happen. He has so much more value in a trade than he does on the ice.

2nd on the team goals scored and in points, including 10 points in the last 11 games, yet it seems that so many people want to get rid of him. I guess it makes sense when you have a team that lacks talent, to get rid of one of the few talented players on the team.

#295 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,513 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:41 AM

2nd on the team goals scored and in points, including 10 points in the last 11 games, yet it seems that so many people want to get rid of him. I guess it makes sense when you have a team that lacks talent, to get rid of one of the few talented players on the team.

Did you watch the Penguins game? He was abused every time he was in the offensive zone. I think Orpik alone separated Ennis from the puck a half dozen times. He's a nice little player. On a good team he's a fill in player.

#296 SwampD

SwampD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,547 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:45 AM

Just because someone is has talent doesn't meant they are a good hockey player. With the talent he has he should have twice as many points as that, and he cost us the game last night. Honestly, how do you not get a shot on goal on a 2 on 1, wait, even worse, how do you make it so that it ends up an odd man rush the other way?!

#297 kishoph

kishoph

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:05 AM

Just because someone is has talent doesn't meant they are a good hockey player. With the talent he has he should have twice as many points as that, and he cost us the game last night. Honestly, how do you not get a shot on goal on a 2 on 1, wait, even worse, how do you make it so that it ends up an odd man rush the other way?!

Did you consider he was on the ice for 50 seconds already on the 2 on 1, plus had a guy coming from behind that would of broke up the play, so he got rid of it, sometimes passes get deflected. Trying to backcheck after a full shift, on a team that is flying down the ice, to try and cover a player that Weber decided to let go, is proabably not the easiest thing to do. He cost us the game ? Would they have been in the game without him helping to set up 2 goals ? Keep getting rid of the teams top players and you'll have a team full of Leino's and Omarks.

#298 SwampD

SwampD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,547 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:20 AM

Did you consider he was on the ice for 50 seconds already on the 2 on 1, plus had a guy coming from behind that would of broke up the play, so he got rid of it, sometimes passes get deflected. Trying to backcheck after a full shift, on a team that is flying down the ice, to try and cover a player that Weber decided to let go, is proabably not the easiest thing to do. He cost us the game ? Would they have been in the game without him helping to set up 2 goals ? Keep getting rid of the teams top players and you'll have a team full of Leino's and Omarks.

I totally agree with this, but if your top players are only getting 40 points for the season, then you need to get new top players as well. Ennis leaves a lot of plays on the ice and makes some costly turnovers. I still think he's good and could end up being a Briere type scorer, but he didn't win anyone anything either. If the opportunity to move him comes up that will improve the team, I wouldn't hesitate for a second.

#299 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Playground King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,552 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:32 AM

I totally agree with this, but if your top players are only getting 40 points for the season, then you need to get new top players as well. Ennis leaves a lot of plays on the ice and makes some costly turnovers. I still think he's good and could end up being a Briere type scorer, but he didn't win anyone anything either. If the opportunity to move him comes up that will improve the team, I wouldn't hesitate for a second.

Ennis is a good piece for this team if we can fill in better players around him.

#300 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

That Nostalgic Olfactory Blend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,935 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:43 AM

As someone who thought he might be the second coming of Briere, I will say this about Ennis: He can be a lower-end top-6 forward on a bottom-half-of-the-NHL team. On a good NHL team, he'd probably be struggling to find a spot in the bottom-6, and filling in on the second scoring line when there are injuries and/or he gets hot. I also think that he could be a nice piece for a contending club if he were put on a line with a player who could create space for him.

#301 SwampD

SwampD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,547 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:57 AM

As someone who thought he might be the second coming of Briere, I will say this about Ennis: He can be a lower-end top-6 forward on a bottom-half-of-the-NHL team. On a good NHL team, he'd probably be struggling to find a spot in the bottom-6, and filling in on the second scoring line when there are injuries and/or he gets hot. I also think that he could be a nice piece for a contending club if he were put on a line with a player who could create space for him.

Exactly. That's why he's perfect trade bait.

Ennis is a good piece for this team if we can fill in better players around him.

I am so sick of hearing this (not just meant at you). I am so sick of hearing that all we need is better guys around our guys to make them better. Um, no kidding. If my aunt had a penis she'd be my uncle. I can't wait for the day when we have guys on our team that make the people around them better.

#302 Robviously

Robviously

What You Don't See

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,469 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:08 AM

I am so sick of hearing this (not just meant at you). I am so sick of hearing that all we need is better guys around our guys to make them better. Um, no kidding. If my aunt had a penis she'd be my uncle. I can't wait for the day when we have guys on our team that make the people around them better.

Ennis, Stafford, and Ehrhoff are all interested trade bait this year. I hope our deadline deals are more than just GMTM moving the UFAs out of town. This roster needs major surgery.

#303 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Playground King

• Members
  • 31,552 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:11 AM

Me too buddy. It sucks that our team is built from filler. Blame Darcy for that one. A house of mortar and no bricks.

#304 nfreeman

nfreeman

All I want is everything you got.

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,750 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:18 AM

Woah. Hold on a second. Ceiling isn't that high on this kid. He has played 108 games (and zero complete NHL seasons), and has 45 points in them.

Did you see the play he made on Varone's goal tonight?

Additionally, He's hurt, as inkman pointed out.

Teddy seems to think Foligno needs more compete and consistency -- i.e. that it's not a physical issue. He said as much in his post-game presser.

He's a young player and like many young players he doesn't bring it often enough. If he gets there, he'll be a really good player.

I'm with you. Once Moulson is gone, the Sabres will have 2 legit top-6 forwards -- Ennis and Hodgson. I don't see any reason to move Ennis out unless they magically are able to bring in 5 more good forwards.

#305 MILFHUNTER#518

MILFHUNTER#518

Formerly BADMOFO518

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:25 AM

Nice analogy

#306 MattPie

MattPie

J-Bot, U-Bot, and We-Bot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,151 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:15 AM

What you call punk, I call god

Lemmy isn't punk.

#307 Josie914

Josie914

Eh, I try

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,417 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:26 AM

Lemmy isn't punk.

I just got very excited that this had turned into a metal/hard rock music thread when I wasn't looking.

#308 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,807 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:32 AM

Lemmy isn't punk.

Lemmy....his band had cool belt buckles.

#309 Potato

Potato

Take Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,663 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:25 PM

I just got very excited that this had turned into a metal/hard rock music thread when I wasn't looking.

I'm pretty sure we need such a thread!

Edit: I'm listening to Acid Bath right now...

Edited by Potato, 29 January 2014 - 12:28 PM.

#310 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

Hot Daniel is Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,569 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 01:51 AM

Good god what happened in this thread? It was a really nice game. Good to see Foligno and Hodgson playing well, a couple of guys that actually might constitute some part of the future for this team.

#311 bunomatic

bunomatic

bunomatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,873 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 01:59 AM

Dayglow abortions

#312 ubkev

ubkev

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,965 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 02:32 AM

Dayglow abortions

Was having a rather ridiculous conversation at work last night and I came up with an awesome band name.
Post Mortem Abortion.
Catchy name for a Swedish death techno metal band. I think I'll trademark it.

#313 deluca67

deluca67

My favorite Winger!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,575 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:31 AM

I agree with this. Isn't Ennis supposed to be one of the guys that make other players better? When a player it is mediocre it's always the fault of the players that are not here.

Teddy seems to think Foligno needs more compete and consistency -- i.e. that it's not a physical issue. He said as much in his post-game presser.

He's a young player and like many young players he doesn't bring it often enough. If he gets there, he'll be a really good player.

I'm with you. Once Moulson is gone, the Sabres will have 2 legit top-6 forwards -- Ennis and Hodgson. I don't see any reason to move Ennis out unless they magically are able to bring in 5 more good forwards.

That is a huge stretch.

#314 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Jack Eichel Construction

• Members
  • 25,018 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 03:19 PM

Me too buddy. It sucks that our team is built from filler. Blame Darcy for that one. A house of mortar and no bricks.

And Lindy. He had to have a huge say when draft day/deadline day/July 1 rolled around.

Sigh. I miss ripping on Lindy. Where did he end up, anyway?

#315 Doohickie

Doohickie

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,427 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 03:26 PM

Good god what happened in this thread? It was a really nice game. Good to see Foligno and Hodgson playing well, a couple of guys that actually might constitute some part of the future for this team.

Hodgson is looking solid, and Foligno has really come up the last several games. I really like Ennis's game lately too. We'll have to see who gets dealt out and in but I can actually see the basis for a pretty good team going forward. Add a few Top Talent guys and we're on our way. I'm thinking Miller is gone, and I think Ott has served his purpose here; I don't see him back next year (Girgs gets the C).

Sigh. I miss ripping on Lindy. Where did he end up, anyway?

He's in my TV market, coaching the Dallas Stars to.... 10th place! (Sound familiar?)

#316 spndnchz

spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,293 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 01:57 PM

Hodgson is looking solid, and Foligno has really come up the last several games. I really like Ennis's game lately too. We'll have to see who gets dealt out and in but I can actually see the basis for a pretty good team going forward. Add a few Top Talent guys and we're on our way. I'm thinking Miller is gone, and I think Ott has served his purpose here; I don't see him back next year (Girgs gets the C).

He's in my TV market, coaching the Dallas Stars to.... 10th place! (Sound familiar?)

has he hit any rookies in the head yet?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: GDT, Game Discussion Thread, Capitals